2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,197 | Reviews: 1,469 | Show All Ratings:
Digimaika2

Ontario (Canada)

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

Picked up a fresh 4-pack at the Healthy Living Market in Burlington, Vt. Definitely one of the more beautiful cans I've ever purchased.

A: Pours a slightly hazy bronze-copper colour with a marshmallow-like creamy foam head. Decent retention and very good lacing down the glass.

S: Amazing. Damp earthy moss funkyness, lumberyard pine, a big grapefruit and mango element, and creamy walnut. Incredibly smooth and well integrated aromas.

T: Buttered biscuit-like malt serves as the backbone, with an earthy pine bitterness and tart grapefruit and sweet mango upfront. An earthy damp wood and mushroom-like elements are present. The taste screams fresh. Smooth, creamy, and very well balanced. Alcohol pretty much undetectable.

M: Full body with a moderate carbonation. Quite oily (welcoming) with a slightly resiny and grainy texture.

D: One of the best IPA's I've ever tasted. What else can I say?

01-11-2012 02:49:19 | More by Digimaika2
VtBeerRun

Vermont

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

One of the beers in it's class. We are very lucky to have this beer up here in Vermont. The taste, as it should be, is the best part to this beer. It tastes great from the can or in a glass (even though it recommends drinking it straight from the can. The appears is good and the smell is great very fruity. Outstanding taste and a great overall beer. Hard to top this one!

Cheers,
Dave

01-14-2012 00:02:11 | More by VtBeerRun
heelsn02

scored a 4 pack from jamvt via trade. thanks a ton for the swap Jeremy

awesome looking can. love the mad-professor looking guy, reminds me of my buddy Luke. Luke, if you're reading this, take it as a compliment.

says DRINK FROM THE CAN!, so i'm drinking from the can (at least for the first 2/3). no idea what it pours like (at least initially), but i'd imagine it's beautiful

smells glorious, hoppy as vince carter, smells bitter, incredibly floral and fruity. bouquets of bada$s flowers.

taste is outta this world. about as great as it smells. massive hop flavor obviously, slight rauchbier hints?... some smokey notes and aftertaste for sure (which I love). carbonation is spot on.

Wow. 4 bones a can? are you kidding me? absolutely love this stuff. really makes me want to take a trip to the northEast. will have to see Rustic Overtones while i'm there. amazing stuff. CHEERS.

PS - poured the last 6 or so ounces out into tulip. golden orange chunky and amazing.

01-28-2012 01:33:40 | More by heelsn02
Dope

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Poured some into a glass just to see what it looks like. It's a super cloudy pale sort of orange. Good solid offwhite head. Retention is quite good too. Decent lacing.

S: Wow, stunning aromatics - just an explosion of fruit. Grapefruit, citrus and pineapple. Mango and apricot too. A bit of resin too maybe?

T: Again, hop mania. As in the nose it's all citrus and the tropical fruits mainly. A bit of resin and pine in the aftertaste. It's sweet but not overpowering, just compliments all the fruit nicely. Bitterness abound but NOT as harsh as other big IPAs like maharaja or ruination. Not even close. It's also not too sweet like a double crooked tree or a 120min. This is a big DIPA that's actually balanced. Long lasting residual taste that sticks with you forever.

M: Medium bodied, carbonation is just about right. A bit drying from all the hop oils.

O: This beer is all about balance. One of the best balanced yet big DIPAs I've had. I like big harsh bitter bombs but this is just a thousand times more drinkable. I feel like I could have a bunch of these. That's what really sets it apart I think.

02-11-2012 04:51:28 | More by Dope
JoeBloe

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

I mentioned to a co-worker that I was just in Vermont and found nothing (good) locally other than 'Long Trail' and he hit me with a pint can of Heady Topper - Thanks Will !!! - I poured some into a tulip and left some in the can whilst alternating sips - and before I knew it - it was all gone !! - and i wished I had more - poured hazy and light orange with suspended spherical globules (of the hop resin?) - like a little universe of it's own in my glass - a 1 finger head that dissipated into a slight film reaching out to a 1/4 inch ring - the hops were in the air as soon as i 'pulled the pop-top' - the zing and zest of hops resin was immediate and awesome - just sticky enough with a mildly sweet finish - this beer is amazing for all the right reasons - hype be damned!

02-29-2012 18:33:58 | More by JoeBloe
UCLABrewN84

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to DarthKostrizer for sharing this one at the post Bruery Reserve Society party bottle share!

Canned 2/2/12.

Pours a murky honey yellow with a white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is fantastic with citrus zest, citrus fruit, and tropical fruit aromas. Taste is the same with citrus fruit, citrus zest, and tropical fruit up front with a malt finish. There is a mild bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an exceptional DIPA with some amazing aromas and flavors.

03-19-2012 00:12:33 | More by UCLABrewN84
BeerPhan86

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

There's quite a lot of hype surrounding this beer, and it is my favorite style, so I was very excited to finally be able to pick some up while in Vermont recently. I drank my first one last night from the can like it says, but this time I'm pouring a whole can into a 16 oz Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass for the review (and yes I will drink the remaining two from the can!)

A - Pours a very hazy golden orange with about 1 1/2 fingers of foamy off-white head. Some very small but noticeable particulates floating in the glass. Much cloudier than your typical DIPA.

S - As soon as the pressure inside the can was released, the room was enveloped in an amazing hop/tropical fruit aroma. Diving further into the head you'll notice TONS of grapefruit and sweet bready malt. Peaches, mango and tropical fruit are also there. A nice earthy, grassy hop aroma comes through as well but the fruits dominate.

T - Initially sweet and fruity, it rides out to a spectacular grassy and piney finish. There is so much citrusy hoppy goodness packed into this can. The freshness of the hops is really unparalleled, it is by far the "juiciest" DIPA I've been able to track down. The hops are complimented by a sweet bread malt backbone and it is extremely well balanced. Dry, bitter, and slightly boozy aftertaste. Very little booziness in the taste however, just loads of super fresh and pure hoppy goodness.

M - Chewy and full bodied with somewhat low carbonation, but it's spot on. A little oily and sticky on the lips, as expected.

O - Are there more insane DIPAs out there? Of course. But this has to be one of the freshest and "purest" tasting DIPAs I have ever had. It's near flawless and quite remarkable, and totally warrants the $12 price tag for the 4 pack. If you're a true hophead like me, you really have no choice but to seek this out. It warrants the hype and I'm hoping it will propel this brilliant brewer to future success and more releases.

06-10-2012 02:03:05 | More by BeerPhan86
JimsArcade

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

(Notes from an April 2012 sampling)

The brewers at The Alchemist are forthright in why Heady Topper should be enjoyed from the can. While the beer pours a gorgeous ruby-amber, tan chunks of what I believe to be yeast and hop resin spread throughout the beer. They do not affect the mouthfeel in or out of the can, though. If you can stomach the visuals, I highly recommend pouring the beer in a large snifter to experience the explosion of citrus and herbal aromas from the hops. The taste: it's like an orange was cross-bred with a hop and squeezed into the can. There is a perfect bittersweet balance at play here. I could drink these one after the other if availability allowed me to,

Simply put, this is a world-class IIPA. As far as I'm concerned, it's the new flagship for the style. I'm glad I got it when I did as I'm sure future releases will reach Pliny the Young levels of insanity.

09-24-2012 20:21:01 | More by JimsArcade
SirBentham

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance – Drank straight from the can.

Smell – I would have liked to smell this in a glass, but the smell of hops and citrus jump out just sniffing out of the can.

Taste – Huge hops are incredibly well balanced with a sweet malt. A little bit less piney/citrus than a Pliny. More of a slightly toasted hop than the Pliny as well.

Mouthfeel – Perfect amount of carbonation. Medium body.

Overall – Excellent Double IPA. A slight step above Pliny The Elder and Alpine’s Pure Hoppiness for me.

11-06-2012 01:36:29 | More by SirBentham
dickieb

Rhode Island

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

I first poured a few OZ off to get a look then drank the rest from the can. Pours a hazy amber/straw in color with a pretty standard white head and pretty good lacing, points for the cool can as well. The smell fills the room even from the can resiny, piney, and citrus hops with tropical notes, pretty much any hop smell you can think of rolled into one. Taste of pure hop juice for me, not overly bitter but the can describes it best "wave after wave of hop goodness", there are also some malts in there if you try really hard to notice them. The mouthfeel is not all that heavy, the 8% abv is not noticeable at all and if you have access to this one it can be drank can after can. This can was exactly 1 week old.

01-03-2013 23:49:32 | More by dickieb
da_beers

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It just hit #1 on BA yesterday, and today he local shop sold out in two hours. Jmscowcroft was able to get a four-pack and set me up but when I went at lunch it was sold out.

A - Supposed to drink from the can, but poured a bit to see. Cloudy burnt orange color. Good head of a finger and a half. Can tell that it is unfiltered but looks great.
S - Smell is amazing. Really adds to the taste in a big way. Floral like a bouquet of smells and really hoppy. Also a piney fragrance towards the end. A little citrus at the very end.
T - This one tastes great. Obviously very hoppy but surprisingly smooth. Definitely a citrus taste, it seems bitter but ends so smooth. This beer is so evolving across the palate its hard to put a name on it.
M - It feels very smooth and buttery, but has a way to remind you it's their, it's very "sippable" however. The aftertaste doesn't dominate as some can, but you can taste it in your mouth in a good way.
D - Drinkability was its only downfall. As far as taste, it was great, but I personally didn't want to have multiples. Great for enjoying it smaller quantities. But overall very drinkable.
O - Overall a great beer. The way the smell and taste mingle is artistic. It confuses and makes sense all in one sip. It deserves the efforts to obtain it.

01-10-2013 01:59:23 | More by da_beers
drrone

Utah

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a tulip, no I didn't leave it in the can.

A - A beautiful golden copper hue. It liberated a 2 finger width white head, that slowed disappated and left a sparse crown of lace. Plenty of protein floating that eventually settled at the bottom of the glass.

S - A great hop blast, with citrus and pine. I just keep wanting to smell it. Awesome.

T - Damn, the hoppiness that you expect, but very well balanced. Bitter, but not overly so. Fantastic hop dose with a tasty citrus component to it.

M- Smooth, light/medium bodied. Finishes crisp and delicious.

O - Man, what a beer. I love my D/IIPA's and this is the best I've had. It certainly had a lot of floaties, but that didn't bother me, but I can see how it might be off putting to people. I got this in a trade and I'm glad that I have 2 left, but I would love to taste this on tap. Amazing beer, one you must try. I can see why it is numero uno.

04-07-2013 00:37:31 | More by drrone
gabedivision

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

poured/drank from a 16 oz can (poured a bit in goblet to test the contrast)

A- pours a murky hazy deep golden orange with a thin white lace and a touch of lacing

S- the smell is just incredible pungent sweet citrus all the way, massive grapefruit and orange juice, mango, lemon peel, tangerines, so floral sticky, resiny and dank.

T- kicks off with a blast of grapefruit, followed by sweet orange juice, mango, just hops hops hops so good finishes with a rise of bitterness that ends with a nice sublte lingering grapefruit peel resin.

M- Medium bodied, soft, light, dangerously too easy to drink, i cannot keep the can from my mouth, low to moderate carbonation

O- This beer lived up to the hype, its hop blend is just absolutly perfect, subtle sweet malt base on the back, just so well put together. Flowery and floral, blasts of citrus, not one single off flavor or feeling, i gotta say this is as close to perfect to a beer that ive ever tasted

08-11-2013 00:13:24 | More by gabedivision
enulcwww

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

This is everything a beer should be amazing drinkability great odor and taste this is just everything that I could possibly want in a beer experience. The presentation of the can is perfect and well worth the journey into the middle of no where Vermont. While 72 for a case may seem high I would be willing to spend over and over again.

09-25-2013 02:46:23 | More by enulcwww
Kdana

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Absolutely love this beer. Just had it for the first time in Vermont. I'm used to Belgians for this high of alcohol contents. Absolutely love the flowery smell.

Bought a case and down to my last 4-pack. Actually, I'll sell you my last 4-pack! Just got it 2 weeks ago.

09-28-2013 18:08:21 | More by Kdana
hopsolutely

Ontario (Canada)

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Canned only 3 days ago (!), this was an incredibly generous trade surprise from mtomlins and a beer I've been hoping to try for ages. It is just plain stunning and actually lives up to my (unduly high) expectations...

Pours a hazy golden orange colour with a respectable white head that has good retention. As the instructions are clearly not to pour it all, am rating appearance mostly on that very attractive can. The aroma is a brilliant blend of my favourite hop-forward elements; resiny pine and citrus with an initial alcohol burn that dissipates dangerously quickly.

The taste is the epitome of its style and I believe it to be the first "5" I can remember giving?! This may well be the ultimate DIPA. A hop-centric ride from start to finish that is strangely well balanced, despite being so hop-forward. The malt backbone respectfully supports the hop lover's ride and that finish is one to savour. It has a delightful blend of bitterness and citrus that lingers...

It's been often discussed, but we may now be well enough motivated to make that pilgrimage trek to Vermont!!

10-03-2013 23:05:13 | More by hopsolutely
GeneralSpecific

Manitoba (Canada)

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Wow I finally get to try the Topper!

Heard so much about this beer I was afraid it may have been over-hyped and the expectations would not be met but fears were gone after the first sip.

It really is an amazing beer with incredible mouthfeel, balance and aroma.

Cheers to the brewers at the Alchemist I just wish it was available in Canada.

10-18-2013 23:18:01 | More by GeneralSpecific
Danismaximus

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

Wow. An outstanding beer. This really lived up to the hype (which is really saying something). I felt like I could truly taste the varietals of hops and it was magnificent. I am sold on this beer. One of the best I've had. My favorite part about this is that it says in the can to drink this straight from the can! This place is progressive and has fully embraced the superioriority of the can to the bottle.

11-04-2013 01:36:12 | More by Danismaximus
Wortman1998

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

Been waiting to try this beer for a looong time. It was worth the wait.
I cannot testify as to the appearance of the beer. I drank it from the can, as directed.
Before drinking it, smell it! It doesn't get any better, really. Just amazing.
It tastes as good or better than it smells. By far the smoothest double IPA I have ever had. So drinkable, yet full of rich flavors. I only had one can, I could have imbibed many more.

01-08-2014 19:03:09 | More by Wortman1998
jaltland

look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a treat.

A- Poured from the can. I know, I know DRINK FROM THE CAN! I wanted to enjoy the visual. It's an amazing pour. Gorgeous top of white head about two fingers. The color is the portrait of an unfiltered IPA. I like it when I can't see through my beer. The color is a thick amber-orange. It looks like an orange is smothered in a thin layer of caramel. Goin hard on the imagery.

S- So complex. Hops roll with a grapefruit citrus aroma. There's a subtle light sweetness lingering in the lacing. Great aromas.

T- It hits in waves. Hops and citrus crash followed closely by the bitterness. This reoccurs several times. It's almost as if the flavors are undulating. Closes out with a very nice balance into a strong hop finish.

M- Exceptional. Great balance in the mouth. Medium mouthfeel and a nice healthy dose of carbonation that isn't too dry and actually leaves you refreshed.

Overall I think it's expected to say this beer is amazing but I can't just say that. My first experience with this beer really has me thinking that I could drink 5 or more of these at any time during the year. It's simply a great brew. The Alchemist really knows what they're doing. Cheers!

02-08-2014 02:58:49 | More by jaltland
beermemyfriend

4.84/5  rDev +2.3%

Heavenly. The stuff you dream about. Like anything else in VT, very, very fresh. I had it at Prohibition Pig in Waterbury on tap. Haven't stopped thinking about it since. I'll be with everyone else, on the road to VT just to get some as it's only available there. It's that good.

04-05-2013 20:58:52 | More by beermemyfriend
JonRogers

4.84/5  rDev +2.3%

I didn't see the beer in a glass as I drank it from the can as recommended, but I imagine it is beautiful judging from the smell. I also drank it a little on the cold side... to thirsty to wait. Taste is fruitful and as smooth as in Imp IPA gets. Hoppy as hell in the best way. Again, very smooth. I drink IPA's 90% of the time and I cant say I have had a better beer.

05-18-2013 02:56:27 | More by JonRogers
shamrock071521

16oz can; half poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass, half drank from the can

Thanks to EricDu and SammyJaxxxx for sending this beer my way

A: Poured half the can into a pint glass. A very hazy, dark orange/burning yellow color. About a finger and a half of somewhat rocky white head persisted for a couple minutes before dissipating into a thin layer.

S: [from the can]: VERY pungent citrus and piney hop aromas.
[from the glass] : I can distinguish the different citrusy hop flavors more from the glass, but the piney, resiny aromas aren’t as pungent or ‘in your face’ compared to the can, and the piney aroma is kind of lost. Mango is the first flavor that jumps out to me, but it’s really a medley of citrusy flavors.

T: [from the can]: very resiny, piney hop flavors throughout, aftertaste is a refreshing bitterness.
[from the glass]: again, the resin, pine flavors are more muted compared to from the can, with the citrus flavors dominating. The biggest similarity between the glass and can is the aftertaste, which in both cases is a very big and enjoyable hop bitterness.

M: Medium carbonation, the resiny flavors stick to your mouth, but IMO in a very good way.. It’s more bitter and stays carbonated more in the can, while from the glass it flattens a bit more as you drink it. The alcohol is unnoticed,

O: An incredible beer. I can see why this is #1 on BA. As someone who prefers and mostly drinks IPAs, this is as close to the ‘perfect hop flavor' as I've ever had. Well played Vermont.

07-24-2013 06:11:34 | More by shamrock071521
MoorBeerPlz

4.84/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the can into a tulip glass...

This can was bought in mid-September. Poured a hazy rich goldorange with over 1 finger of off white head. This faded to nice lacing on the glass. Light carbonation noted.

First whiff is hops and then the citrus presence, namely grapefruit, pine and some other hints. So nice on the nose but it doesn't give away anything about what's coming in the tasting....

Remembering that this has been sitting in the fridge since mid-September I figured there would be some difference between this and the one I had at the brewery. I wasn't too far off. The hop profile has softened slightly but the first notes are the hops, then the citrus, other fruit hints and pine. The beer is still so balanced there wasn't one flavor that stood out above the others. Certainly the malts haven't taken over and dumbed down the flavor profile, it's just a bit mellower than when fresh.

Medium body for me with a clean, fresh taste and a dry, hop finish. Smooth all the way through. Lower carbonation than what I remember but I don't mind a bit.

Overall this beer lives up to its name. As I compare it to other DIPA, this one is still at the top of my list, even one that's a little older and less-fresh than right out of the brewery. Awesome job Alchemist and hopefully I'll come by some more of this down the road.

Cheers!!!

11-25-2013 04:32:38 | More by MoorBeerPlz
BergBeer

4.84/5  rDev +2.3%

I drank it in the can like everyone advised me too! Sent to me through a trade!

A: As I said before I drank it out of the can because I was too afraid I would some how not get the full heady experience out of a glass! So no appearance review from me!

S: Smell pops out of the can and makes the immediate area smell of pineapples, white peaches, tangerine, lemon, slight honey, and pine! Smells dank and clings to the nostrils!

T: First you get sweet white peach and nectarine that trails to green apple slice with honey on it. Then pineapples which melds into a piney citrus finish that lingers on the tongue! Taste amazing!

M: Medium body with good carbonation! Cloying and thick at first when it hits the tongue but thins out to a beautiful medium body that goes down extra smooth

O: Amazing brew! It really seems like other great DIPAs have just a piece of this ones overall complex puzzle. The fruity citrus of Sculpin, the smooth balance of Pliney, and the drink ability of Dorado are represented here and just as well as its counterparts! Top of it's class and damn near perfect!

10-13-2013 13:51:22 | More by BergBeer