Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 6,253
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.52/5  rDev -4.4%

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

It really is unique and fabulous. I've had a ton, and it does vary in quality from time to time, but has never been anything lower than "great". Seriously, the worst I've had is still very delicious. I've had hundreds of cans, had many a sampler from the brewery when it was open and also had on draft several times. All good stuff.

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

Yeah. I could drink this all day. And night. And day again...

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

A quick review as I didn't take tasting notes and had a few days ago. Drank from a 16 ounce can poured into a pint beer glass and drank with friends after a 10K race.

I loved it... understand that. But my underlying belief came true: more hype than anything else. It is an extremely good double IPA, but there are others out there (Breckenridge 571?) that I've also enjoyed thoroughly.

Great citrusy (grapefruit?) overtones, but as one friend put it, a bit sweet.

If I get to Vermont this winter and can call a liquor store to reserve a case, I'll certainly pick some up. However, I won't be skipping a morning's skiing to drive from store to store to see if they happened to have gotten any in overnight and if they happen to have any left (which is what I've been told I'll have to do). Too many other quality beers out there that I won't have to jump through hoops of fire to get my hands on.

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

I was fortunate to try this beer twice thanks to a good friend. Once when it was ranked #3 back in 2011 or 2012 when I was still a novice beer drinker and had no idea what dIPA beer was or how it was suppose to taste. Now after trying over 200+ beers I would say my taste for beer has developed alot more esp. enjoying Sours, IPAS, and any stouts barrel aged I cam to appreciate this beer much more. Loved the aromas and taste of all the hops and flavors delivered from
start to finish. Cheers to Heady-topper

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

an amazing DIPA, don;t get me wrong. I wish i could try it without having known any hype around it to get an unbiased opinion.

4.8/5  rDev +1.5%

1.36/5  rDev -71.2%

So hyped not worth killing yourself to find.

3.14/5  rDev -33.6%

Did a taste test with Heady Topper versus Pliny the Elder with about a dozen friends. Pliny the Elder received 100% of the votes from our little test. This is a bit odd for a beer that became #1 on this site in a relatively short period of time. Heady Topper is okay, but definitely does not deserve the Number 1 spot.

The most noticeable quality of Heady Topper at pour is the amount of sediment in the glass. I suppose that is why they print "DRINK FROM THE CAN" on the can itself. But, we had to pour it for the taste test so people would not know what they were drinking.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist