Microbrew Invitational

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,206 | Ratings: 12,366
4.74/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank from the can so I can't say much about how it looked other than it was deep golden in color. Aromas of pine, grapefruit, lemon and orange. Tastes absolutely incredible and follows the aroma perfectly, very slightly bitter and a slight floral presence. Medium bodied and carbonated. It took me a very long time to find my first can, hoping it wont take nearly as long to find more.

4.77/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: You should definitely drink this out of the can.

Smell: Big citrusy and pine aromas.

Taste: Grapefruit, citrus, with a nice smooth, floral finish. Does not taste like a traditional Double IPA. So smooth, not boozy at all.

Feel: Crisp to the core. Delicious.

Overall: Excellent beer, worth the hype.

4.06/5  rDev -12.9%

Deep Gold in color and cloudy with little head and no lacing.

Aromas of resin, pine, and citrus - grapefruit & lemon.

Taste is initial minor sweetness, followed by grapefruit and lemon, and finishes extremely resinous.

Mouthful is medium and smooth with average carbonation. Finish lingers awhile.

Another IPA that falls into the purist category (not a negative). The citrus and Hops are balanced on the nose but more hop forward on the taste. Mouthful is spot on. This isn't one for me and reminds me of La Cumbre but may be for you, give it a shot.

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: pours a hazy golden yellow color with a 1" head that falls to a thick surface covering. Mild lace develops during the session.

Smell: orange, grapefruit, lemon zest, fruit sweetness and some floral notes rise from the glass.

Taste: caramel, orange, grapefruit, lemon zest, pear, and a floral bitterness create a superbly balanced beer. Alcohol is not noticeable at all.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp from start to finish, with a light dryness late.

Overall: took a while for me to get my hands on this, but it was really good and refreshing. Definitely a great beer.

Harder to get every year but always worth getting. Easily one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth. Aroma is wonderful. Taste is unbeatable. Love this beer.

4.12/5  rDev -11.6%

Against the wishes of the brewers, this comes out of the can a very light creamy yellow, but then darkens in the glass to a partially opaque yellow orange. The carbo-pillar in the center is still visible, supporting the large foam head well. Heady Topper retains an unbelievably soft, fluffy thin blanket, with spotty fluid lacing throughout.

Aromas of bright lemon, citrus, and the strongest fresh green pine I've experienced in a beer present themselves up front. This is really the first time both citrus and pine combine in this pleasant of a way for me. I'm surprised to not get any cannabic, sticky dankness, but it's a welcome absence, since that's becoming more and more prominent in the beer scene. The fact that they can hit the notes that are there so powerfully without the dank is well done.

There is more orange and grapefruit in flavor, with a very well balanced bitterness and citrus juiciness, all at once. Heady is refreshing, crisp, and dry with some bite and tang.

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

This is one of the best DIPAs on the planet. We first experienced this at the brewery, when it was open to the public. On tap, it is unbeatable and in a can still one of the finest.

Heady Topper is a world class IPA. Although the turbidity isn't as strong as Hill Farmstead or Tree House, Heady is somewhat translucent yellow. I smell some oranges, grapefruit, and lemons. The taste has some medium bitterness up front with a slightly tart, lemony note following. The taste hits early on and falls off rather quickly and cleanly for great drinkability for 8% abv. Overall, fabulous beer. Nevertheless, I think Julius surpasses Heady due to its creaminess.

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Drank half from the can and half from a snifter. I prefer it from the glass.

Looks like yellowish everyday IPA in a glass, with a nice foamy head and great lacing. It looks like a beer is supposed to look.

Smells great. Citrus and hops, oranges, peels, Grapefruit. Smells incredible.

Tastes amazing. Once you take a sip you know it was worth the hype. Incredibly smooth for a DIPA but just enough bite and citrus to stand out.

Mouth feel is solid...smooth drinking beer with perfect foamy head.

Overall it right up there with one of my favorite beers. Definitely worth searching this out if you can. Glad I had the chance to drink a few.

4.34/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had the first sip out of the can because I can't completely ignore directions. Tons of grapefruit. It pours cloudy with nice head which doesn't linger very long or leave a ton of lacing. No hop chunks in this can. Smell is very good but it didn't fully live up to my very high expectations. Taste is great and easily one of the best DIPAs I've had with the bitterness only coming in hard in the aftertaste. Crazy drinkable at 8%. That said, I'm still not sure it lived up to my expectations since I definitely prefer some much easier to get IPAs.

Right place right time. Randomly at the J Wakefield Brewery in Miami by the house just doing a flight of some of their delicious offerings when a Heady Topper emerges from the back room. Apparently a friend of a friend dropped some off to the staff and I was lucky enough to snag a nip. Sharp is the word that comes to mind. If this IPA was a person it would be well dressed in an Armani suit. Clean and crisp, sessionable if you can come across enough of them. 8% feels like 4%. Excellente.

Pours yellow, hazy with a very nice white foam head (I poured it to share it, even though it says it´s better from the can). Aroma is great, hoppy, citric, flowery, fruity, delicious. Taste is amazing, hops and malts are very well balanced and tasty. Amazing beer, getting one of these in Mexico is nearly impossible. Cheers

4.76/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Heady is one of those beers that I heard nothing but hype about for years before I finally ever tried it. I can comfortably say that it's fantastic, and that it by no means lands anywhere in my personal top beers. Aroma is an orange grove. Flavor is a forest of zesty hops and fluffy citrus. Surprisingly, to me, drinking it from the can is better than pouring into a glass. A world-class beer that might have amazed me more if I had tasted it a long time ago.

4.39/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Big, bright, hop bomb. I've had it many times and each time I tend to feel the same way. It's not my favorite IPA (or even in the top 5 - I tend to lean more toward piney IPAs) but I do really enjoy the brightness and the fruit, especially in the nose.

4.94/5  rDev +6%

My cousin from Maine from Maine brought me home a can of this. Wow this is one of the smoothest IPAs ever had. Nice Pinny taste can taste the floral hops. One big plus, it comes in a can.

4.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Damn. Thus is quite a good ipa. It's hard to go in with an open mind. I, honestly, think that I was trying to under rate it to off set my inherent bias, but i kept going back for more and more. It is quite unique and delicious. Here goes:

I'm drinking it out of the can, as instructed, but the last one I had, was out of a glass, so I will judge the visual aspect from memory. It was very cloudy, which I really loke, and I remember it had a pretty decent head. The aroma is a little tricky to get from the can, so although it is very nice, I am docking it a bit. Strong citrus juice notes. Tangerine, orange juice, peaches, mango, mild pepper, and quit a faint malt presence. The flavor is delicious as well. Candy orange, fruit juice. There is a mild lingering bitterness that is so subtle that it doesn't bother. It's just there to let you know that your drinking beer. The mouthfeel is really a knockout with this beer. It is thick and creamy, for an ipa, but it still has plenty of that oiliness that I look for in a hoppy beer. Thus truly is a phenomenal beer. Is it worth the hype? Of course not, it is just beer. However, it is fucking good.

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Don't want to be to technical with reviews so here goes MY take on this beer.

Look is really good, I like them clean, not into the cloudy/hazy stuff that seems the rage atm. Smell is what I expect from a hoppy beer. Good clean hop smell that is, not dank (not that dank is bad). Taste is pretty spot on too. Nice bite, but not to bitter that lingers on the tongue just long enough for you to want more Everything about this beer screams hops. This is, imho, a beer that deserves its standing as world class!! Thanks to my buddy that tossed me one of this after his trade!!

I don't know how a beer could be more perfect.

When you die, I'm pretty sure this is what Jesus serves at the pearly gates to remind you of all the good things you ever did in your life.

This is by far the best of the best. I've been looking for a beer to top this, but have yet to find it. I beleive all the hype, and know that this is worth making the trip. The BROS' review is an understatement, you must try this beer.

4.38/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 16 oz can into snifter. No visible date but was told this was canned about 5 weeks ago.

A: Cloudy pale yellow with 2 finger white head. Long retention and leaving some chunky lacing.

S: Grapefruit, pineapple, and orange zest with big dose of floral hops.

T: Mix of citrus with grapefruit, pineapple, and lemon with floral and earthy hops.

M: Medium body with average carbonation. Finish is soft with hop resins lingering.

O: Extremely well executed DIPA. If I had regular access to this, it would be a staple on my fridge.

4.24/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Obviously was excited to try this, even as someone who isn't a fan of ipa's, so glad i tracked a can down. Orange looking with a very nice tropical fruit aroma. Taste was bitter up front, then into those subtle fruity tones with a dry finish, but it actually imprived as it warmed and became very drinkable and enjoyable towards its finish. Overall its obviously a well crafted and tasty ipa, but best beer in the world?it maybe the best ipa but i find it hard to say an ipa is the best beer you could find. Enjoyable though and glad i got to try it.

4.11/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I enjoyed this beer, not as much as I thought I was going to. Very hyped for what I thought was just a nice Double IPA. Was this beer the best DIPA 8 years ago, probably. Not anymore. So many great beers out there.

I poured it into a snifter glass contrary to the suggestion to drink it out of the can, I can't imagine why one would not want to try and smell this beer, isn't that one of the major points of a DIPA?

Nice citrus zest on the nose, floral and some spice. Beer is well balanced, juicy and citrus flavor. Very clean. Improved as the beer increased slightly in temp.

Enjoyed the beer, but do not believe this is a top beer in the world any longer.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

the beast. this ones really hard to review. smell is so complex, tropical here, piney there, fruity over there, citrusy under there. malt? what malt? taste is even more complex than the smell. just about every hop taste there is, all over a juicy fuzzy bed. this one is killer. need to get my hands on focal and more of this!

4.93/5  rDev +5.8%

L-Hazy naval orange flesh color. White fluffy head.
S-Papaya funkiness, pineapple, peach, citrus, piney.
T-Fruity sweetness upfront, tropical fruits, grapefruits, resin, pine. Very enjoyable lingers with fruity notes.
F- thicker than most hoppy beers. Mouth coating beauty. Sticky!
O- As a hop head, this is one of the best beers I have had. I keep coming back for more and each drink provides the same amount of intensity! Drools

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: Very light and cloudy. Straw colored murky beer with particles floating around.

Aroma: Citrus fruits, primarily grapefruit and orange juice. Tropical elements are certainly here along with fresh pine / hop scents. Very very enjoyable and pleasing smell to this. Not really any bready malts to speak of.

Taste: It's been a little over a month since my last can so this description will not do the brew justice. I remember it being magical yet very confusing. An extremely delicate, soft and gentle beer on the palate but the amazing flavors still awaken all of the taste buds. The finish is a thing of beauty, the bitterness and tropical hop flavors linger and make your mouth water. The aftertaste is the most striking characteristic of this beer, it's hard to think of a beer that makes your palate beg for the next sip so aggressively. Dangerous beer. Doesn't drink like an 8 percenter.

Mouthfeel: soft, velvety, medium-ish body. Creamy hop juice.

Overall: This is one the best IPA's I have ever consumed. Hope to have it fresher or even on tap some day.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist