1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Ratings: 6,178 | Reviews: 1,467 | Show All Ratings:
scotorum

4.39/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'd forgotten about the ranty feeling-sorry-for-myself review from last August (Reposted below.) But I am here to report I finally hit Heady paydirt. That is, my friend BigStein88 gave me two precious cans.

I HATE drinking beer out of cans, so I defied the recommendation from the brewer and poured my first can into a Samuel Smith English tulip glass, self-serving at just under fifty degrees fahrenheit out of my beer fridge. Not sure how fresh, but BigStein88 visits his old home state of Vermont fairly often, so I doubt if it's more than two months old.

a: Hazy dark gold, not as hazy as I expected though, although I do see some tiny floaties. Two inch tall white head receded slowly to rocky surface foam and dense lacing.

s: Intense citrus and pine. Later, lawn mower grass clippings. (!)

t: Do not find this as citrusy as on draft. In fact grassiness is the most prominent and persistent flavor, much stronger even than any wet hop ale I have had (yes I know this is not one of those). Moderate hop bite, but little in the way of lingering bitterness as the brewer's text on the can seems to suggest. Blindfolded, I'd have said this is the freshest wet hop IPA ever. 8% alcohol is well concealed in any event.

m: As on draft, moderate, slickish.

o: I want to say this is The Best I've Ever Had. But truth is, and heretical though it is for a New Englander to say, at this point the Pliny the Elder I had last night was even creamier and more enjoyable. Might be my own fault for not following the other part of the brewer's instructions, and pouring it all out into the glass at once rather than saving the yeasty last ounce for a final savory pour.

The intense grassy flavor is different and very good. Definitely unlike any DIPA I have had, but not what I expected, especially in light of my previous, citrusy rather than grassy taste experience with it fresh at the cannery last August and on draft at the Prohibition Pig in Waterbeery (sic).

Will add more to this essay on Heady when I crack the other can. I'll probably bite the bullet and drink at least part of that out of the can to see if it makes a difference.

In view of the above, am changing my original review ratings: a: 3.5-3.75; s:4-4.25; m: 4.5-4.25

ORIGINAL 8/18/13 REVIEW:

8 oz. draft at the Prohibition Pig pub in Waterbury VT and several ounces more in a mini-snifter at the brewery the same day.

a: A hazy gold with a finger thick white head which dropped to a surface film.

t: Sweet citrusy goodness. Alcohol well hidden. Not as hoppy as I had expected, but very tasty indeed.

m: Moderate, slickish and almost chewy, an impression no doubt reinforced by the cloudiness. Probably why the brewer recommends drinking it straight from the can. Oh if only I had had that opporunity! But alas "CANS SOLD OUT" greeted me at the end of the entrance and the front door at the brewery.

o: Excellent, appealing, refreshing, all those good things. Whether I would concur it is the best I can't say for sure. I do feel a bit troubled by the fact that I liked Double Sunshine better at the same sitting at The Pig. But I had that first, and they were different.

I know you know this already, but the friendly gal who poured my sample at the brewery said weekdays are the time to get some in cans. This week they sold out on Thursday. Usually it's Friday. I was there on Saturday, after dinner, around 6 P.M. I had figured they'd be out. But I also visited half a dozen stores where HT was supposed to be available, and even saw two places had hanging signs which read stuff like "Head This Way To The Heady." Nope.

And Lawson's or Hill Farmstead anything? Forget that too. Trek up to Greesboro in the middle of Nowhere Vermont (sorry, I am sure it is very wonderful up in that part of the Kingdom, it just looks like Nowhereland on my maps) and buy Hill Farmstead at the farm if you want some (and I know you do, I can hear your heavy breathing). Call ahead to make sure they have some. Preferably from across the street.

Lawsons might show up at the Warren Store on Thursdays. You may have to haunt the place or get a job there. Or go early on the second Saturday to the Waitsfield Farmers Market. Get a ticket from the Lawson's booth. And Waits in the Field until your turn. Are we getting a bit frustrated with limited availability and frantic buying from craftier-than-thou beer connoisseurs yet? After driving a six hour round trip and coming home empty-handed, Yes.

03-11-2014 05:57:39 | More by scotorum
JohnParadee

Delaware

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally made it to the Holy Grail. Gratefully, the experience took place in a true Mecca location...Prohibition Pig in Waterbury, Vermont -- appropriately, the very site of The Alchemist's original brewery (prior to Hurricane Irene). In any event, as my good friend Khalil Saliba and I saddled up to the bar here (on Tuesday night, 1/28/14) and nervously ordered the first Heady Topper of our lives, the excitement was noticeably palpable. Hell, I almost shit my pants when the lovely bartendress set the beautiful tulip glass down in front of me. Awesome 2-finger head, which dissipated very slowly. Beautiful, cloudy orange/amber color, with expected cloudiness. Tremendous sticky lacing throughout. The nose was an incredible citrus pine of grapefruit, with hints of orange/mango/tangerine, all of which was replicated on the palate. But perhaps the most remarkable aspect, and (I believe) the signature of the HT experience, was the stupendous balance between the citrusy hops and the chewy malts throughout, with no heat of alcohol evident whatsoever which, along with the lovely, full mouthfeel, makes this beer outrageously easy to drink.

All in all, an outer-body religious experience. If I could paint worth a damn, I'd cut my ear off for a cannot this Joe!

02-02-2014 05:12:09 | More by JohnParadee
WunderLlama

4.71/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Searching for the holy grail of beer, brought me to Vermont. Found 12 cans at hunger mountain coop, will taste from the can as well. Continued the pilgrimage to the prohibition pig. Ordered heady toppers for me and son #2 whilst waiting for a table.

Tap poured into a snifter. Hazy yellow with a nice white foam cap.

Citrus and pine hop aroma.

Taste of the hops but without a bitter start. Slight bitter aftertaste and that is what sets this beer apart. More flavorful without the explosion of bitter taste . Citrusy with a hong of pine. Even the college son appreciated this beer over his preferred Budweiser, Great beer , flavorful, well balanced but doesn't club your senses. Rewards you with a great taste that warms as it settles to room temperature.

01-11-2014 04:06:04 | More by WunderLlama
hillvt4me

Vermont

4.49/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - The beer is medium shaded yellow with a dense white head.

S - strong pine and sampling of star fruit

T - delicious; pine, grain and citrus/kumquat resonate; though the can hold the potential potency

M - well balanced potent etoh mouthfeel

Fresh cold definitely makes a difference with this DIPA

Serving type: tap

12-21-2013 01:24:49 | More by hillvt4me
thequeen711

4.14/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Not being an ipa fan this beer is awesome. The hops are so well balanced. Highly revcommend dor the non ipa lover. I bought a 4 pk and can kick myself for not getting a case . Next visit I will get at least 1 case! A definite option for the non IPA oriented consumer.

12-07-2013 22:17:28 | More by thequeen711
11JON11MO

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

OK we made the pilgrimage from the Capital District in NY to Vermont. The Alchemist will not be open to the public past 11/15/13 while they look for another place to open up. Yep it was worth the trip.
A - If you are looking for clear then look for a filtered beer. This is and was meant to be unfiltered. Nicely done
S - Pine, Grapefruit, Citrus very nice smell.
T - Again the Hops shines and the pine, grapefruit taste comes out.
M - Very nice not too much alcohol.
O - very nice almost perfection.

11-10-2013 02:51:22 | More by 11JON11MO
gillagorilla

Maryland

4.51/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A regular at Max's brought in a can each day of Max's Hopfest (from notes, 8/16-18/13)

A: Cloudy golden blonde.

S: Sweet, citrus and floral.

T: Strong flavor. As unique as it smells. Even and nuanced. Flavorful. Lots of freshly mown grass and pine with malt sweetness. Big aftertaste.

M: Crispy and prickly and coarse. Nice mouthfeel. Smooth at the end.

O: One of the IPAs that tastes as good as it smells. I think a key component of any great beer, especially IPAs is the mouthfeel/carbonation/body and this one is great for conveying the flavors here.

10-29-2013 07:19:19 | More by gillagorilla
Cavanaghty

Maine

4.94/5  rDev +4.4%

Served on tap in a Tulip Glass at the brewery as a sample.

Appearance: Hazy amber color with a thick white head. Heavy lacing on the glass.

Smell: Hops and citrus were strong but not unpleasent. Very floral characteristics.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste was complex, bitter all around but a good sweetness to balance it out. Pine and citrus were the dominate flavors.

Overall: This beer certainly lived up to it's reputation. It was a complex beer and the taste got better with every sip. Very hard to get, if you want to get it be at the brewery just as it opens otherwise it sells out almost instantly.

10-25-2013 18:27:14 | More by Cavanaghty
Abilow33

4.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I went to the beer shop in Waterbury and tried this beer. There is a reason this beer is rated as the best beer in America. It is the best beer I have ever had. It had a great taste. I wish everyone could try this beer. I wanted to buy a case but the were sold out.

07-28-2013 11:56:26 | More by Abilow33
Dfinn1122

4.91/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Found this little brewery while on vacation up in VT. This is by far one of the best Imperial IPA's I had. It's unfiltered and has an Extremely hoppy aroma with a great balance composure of grains. I didn't believe the Alchemist brewery beer hype in VT until I went there myself. It was unbelievable! Great imperial IPA!

05-29-2013 17:05:31 | More by Dfinn1122
beermemyfriend

4.84/5  rDev +2.3%

Heavenly. The stuff you dream about. Like anything else in VT, very, very fresh. I had it at Prohibition Pig in Waterbury on tap. Haven't stopped thinking about it since. I'll be with everyone else, on the road to VT just to get some as it's only available there. It's that good.

04-05-2013 20:58:52 | More by beermemyfriend
devilheels

Connecticut

There are several things that make me proud to be from Vermont. This is one of them. This is a hoppy beer, but not one that makes you choke. John Kimmich, the brewer, has somehow taken an extremely hoppy beer and made it so palatable that even people who don't typically like IPA's can enjoy it. I miss the Alchemist of old (Wild Child, Holy Cow, Ouroboros, etc) and hope that Kimmich decides to can those in the future. You can't go wrong with the Alchemist.

02-08-2013 22:44:51 | More by devilheels
Homebrew35

4.56/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a tulip with a foamy white two finger head. Hazy straw colored body.

Smells like a bag of hops. Citrus, pine, passion fruit and candy.

Taste is fairly complex with notes of citrus, pine, juicy fruit and light earthyness.
I'd like a bit more hop flavor but that's a minor point. Quite bitter, dank and lingering.

Medium bodied and fairly high carbonation keeps this one quite drinkable for an 8% hop bomb.

Overall this is a fantastic beer. I love a touch more hop flavor and nothing more. The beer drinks very easy for such a high hop load and high abv. I'll easily order this again next time I'm in the area.
$6.50 12oz at the Prohibition Pig in Waterbury VT

01-14-2013 15:16:01 | More by Homebrew35
silentdonkey

On tap in a snifter at the cannery in Vermont.

A: Cloudy golden orange with a small fluffy off white head. Awesome lacing that clings to the side of the glass resembling a spider web by the time you are finished.

S: One of the best smelling things on earth! It might have helped that the tasting room at the cannery was filled with sweet hoppy scents. I verified that the nose was as good as I remembered when I cracked a can later. Lots of herbal pine and resinous hops mixed with fruity tropical citrus.

T: This beer is no joke. I would classify it as the smoothest tasting hop juice you can imagine. Lots of late kettle addition hops. Tons of hop flavor. Crisp with lots of pine, resin, and grapefruit/orange hops up front. Slightly bitter at first that transitions into the best tasting sweet tropical citrus hop flavor that lingers. Slightly sweet malt profile balances the hop bitterness very well.

M: Crisp with a medium-full body. Really smooth with a nice syrupy consistency. Perfectly carbonated. I could drink this every day of my life.

O: Honestly, this beer meets all the hype. There are a lot of rarities out there that are really sought after that do not live up to their hype. This beer absolutely does. Easily the best DIPA out there that I have tried (I haven't had younger).

10-22-2012 23:34:43 | More by silentdonkey
Vermont-the-Trader

I've had this beer many, many times..On tap at the PIG is the best place to drink it. Also, had it straight up out of the can. And, even went against the grain and poured the can into a glass pint. This beer is so god i would recommend taking a bath in it. Tons of hop after hop his your noise from the get go. Beautiful gold color, with a creamy head that laces perfectly to the glass and your face! Mild bitter, Erich is explained on the can. 8% abv so clearly, this one can get ahead of you. Very balanced malt to bittering, creating a nice full creamy body. I live about 3hrs away from the Alchemist cannery, and do travel up there often, if, you're looking to trade, drop me you're request.

10-07-2012 12:38:51 | More by Vermont-the-Trader
haazer

4.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Had two glasses of this on my birthday. If this even wasn't in the afternoon and I didn't have to drive myself home I'd have had quite a few more.

A - This thing looks like a cider really. Dark orange and copper highlights with what also looks like pulp. Very cloudy and opaque. The head consists of what you would expect on a latte, literally it looks like there is cinnamon in it. Lacing caked all over the glass. Perfect looking DIPA.

S - Suprisingly I actually picked up pale malts on the first whiff. But really this thing is hopped to the hilt. Grapefruit, flower petals, and a bit of honey.

T - Mango and grapefruit overload. Orange peel, honey, and some subdued pine flavor. There's a wave of bitterness on the end of flavor with no drying effect that some hop bombs can do. No booze tasted at all.

M - Saturating. Mouth coated with the amazing fruit flavor and stickyness of the hop. High carbonation and low to medium bodied. Could easily drink 4 or more of these until the booze would start to kick in.

O - This is a heady DIPA for sure. Incredible fruit profile and bitterness. Taste more fruit than hops but nonetheless it was a pleasure to consume. Cant think of a much better beer to have on my birthday.

09-06-2012 23:59:10 | More by haazer
gonzowestwood

Had on Tap at the Blind Tiger some months back... from notes

A- a cloudy pale straw unfiltered delight

S- juicy, fruity, hops, hops and more hops. Pine, some grapefruit and a little orange peel. Also a touch of malt

T- just simply unbelievable. a hop head's wet dream

M- This is were this beer shines. Its so unbelievably smooth and well balanced

O- This is a perfect beer. Nothing else comes close. Was lucky enough to have side by side with Lawson's 'Double Sunshine', Hill Farmstead 'Galaxy' and 'Society #3' and Heady is better hands down.

07-15-2012 02:37:49 | More by gonzowestwood
Rifugium

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

I've had this enough in a can to be able to appreciate it, but it was nice to have had the opportunity to get it straight from the source and as fresh as possible.

Poured a very cloudy, gold-peach-yellow color with a healthy puff of white head; nice retention and lacing. No worries about floaters on tap. As in the can, big aroma of hops, lemons, and an afterthought of pine needles. Taste is equally laden with juicy hop goodness, lemon, grapefruit, more lemon, pith and pleasant bitterness, light notes of pine and pineapple. Medium body, juicy and fresh up front, crisp and drying in the finish; excellent beer as always.

The Cannery makes for a nice easy diversion and is a quick jaunt from Burlington. Since we can't review breweries here for whatever reason, I'll just quickly note that they have a nice simple set-up, plenty of cans for purchase, sample-sized pours on tap, and lots of neat merch, as well as a self-guided tour. Worth checking out.

04-22-2012 02:30:25 | More by Rifugium
brystmar

4.2/5  rDev -11.2%

On draft at Blind Tiger.

Beautiful pour, plenty of head with solid retention. Aroma holds fresh hops, pine, malt, citrus. Great balance of malts and hops in the flavor profile. Many Vermont IPAs fall into the West Coast style while Heady sits somewhere between East and West.

My biggest criticism of Heady Topper is its relatively thin body compared to other DIPAs. It's much improved on draft (vs the cans I've had), yet still lacking. But this is just splitting hairs -- HT is easily one of the best DIPAs brewed today.

03-29-2012 04:27:30 | More by brystmar
tobelerone

4.7/5  rDev -0.6%

Heady on tap pours hazy dark gold with an enormous fluffy white head. The retention is excellent and the lacing very sticky and attractive. Huge aroma of hoppy complexity; so much going on in the nose, from citrus (mostly grapefruit and pineapple) to pine to floral notes and traces of very slightly onion-like notes as well.

This is one of the best tasting IPA’s/DIPA’s you’ll encounter. Just as complex as the aroma, with a restrained maltiness that’s only very slightly sweet. Grass, citrus, pine, onion. Drinks more like an IPA than a double, with alcohol nowhere in sight…goes down very easy. It’s bitter but not dominated by bitterness or any other single flavor aspect. You can taste everything.

Good carbonation and a medium finish with a lingering aftertaste full of complex notes, not just overwhelming bitterness. Everything is very balanced and totally delicious.

11-03-2011 13:01:35 | More by tobelerone
Alieniloquium

4.78/5  rDev +1.1%

On tap at the Alchemist in Waterbury, VT. $4 for a 12 oz. pour. Can't beat that.

A - Hazy orange body with a delicious white head. The beer sticks and leaves lacing all down the side of the glass. This looks delicious.

S - Waves of hops. Unbelievably delicious citrus and floral hops. It has the strongest citrus hop aroma I've ever smelled. It's wonderful.

T - Great hop flavor up front that just lasts and lasts. Somewhere in the distance is a slight sweetness to balance it out. There is hardly any bitterness, so it only takes the slightest bit of malt to keep this guy balanced.

M - Slick and easy to drink. A gulpable IPA. I put back 3 of these easily. The low bitterness with such a strong hop character is remarkable and allows this beer to be quaffed with ease.

O - The best IPA I have had and a great endnote for my east coast beer trek. Worth the drive and something I hope to get once it is canned!

08-03-2011 17:28:12 | More by Alieniloquium
ElGallo

New Hampshire

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

On tap at The Alchemist, 8/1/11. Several 12 oz. pours were enjoyed at a bargain of $4 each. This goes down so easy.

Once upon a time, somewhere in a BA post, I said Heady Topper was good but not as great as all the hype. Well, that was clearly me writing with a hangover or a head injury, because this is a fabulous beer.

Color is a subtle amber, with a nice firm head and solid lacing that sticks. Nose is hoppy and floral with mild bitterness. Good carbonation, easy on the mouth and doesn't burn out the tastebuds. Flavors are hoppy, floral, mildly bitter, and maybe some muted citrus notes. Not as bold as or captivating as Pliny but clearly a well-balanced, top-shelf IPA. I enjoyed a couple glasses with dinner while munching on a chevre salad and a nice cuban panini, ironically while chatting with a man who is trying to bring a craft brewery to Cuba. Cool.

John's plan to can this beautiful beer for wider distribution is by far the best move by a small brewery in recent memory. Well played sir. Cheers!

08-02-2011 03:00:43 | More by ElGallo
VelvetExtract

A-As the bartender passes me my first glass I am amazed at the beautiful orange hue of the beer. The creamy head retains incredibly well and laces the whole glass. Just a perfect look.

S-Wow this is disturbingly hoppy. Wreaks of dry-hopping. Luscious, ripe, juicy tropical fruits. Literally smells like perfume. A wonderful fragrance. The hops waft into my nostrils. Very excited to sip.

T-Blew me away. Unbelievably long lasting taste of grapefruits, apricots, mango, oranges, clementines and pineapples. Just purely juicy and fresh. Excellent bitterness, it does not over exceed its bounds and make you forget about the hop bouquet. Resinous and dripping of hop oils. Packs a plethora of fresh cut grass and crushed pine needles too. Quite possibly the best tasting thing that has entered my mouth. A divine amalgamation of tropical fruit fit for the gods.

M-Perfect carbonation. Slick, resinous feel. Big bodied and excellent. Begs to be gulped, not sipped.

O/D-Heady Topper defines my love for craft beer. Just amazingly delicious and perfectly crafted. There is absolutely nothing about Heady Topper that is not excellent. Well worth the long drive to drink this all night. And the cherry on top...$4 for a twelve oz. pour of week old Heady Topper. Perfect.

----
7/21/12

Finally tried it from the can and the quality is still the best in the entire world. Heady is my perfect beer, regardless of its pouring median.

07-24-2011 20:54:05 | More by VelvetExtract
ChrisPro

4.38/5  rDev -7.4%

Tap at The Alchemist (mutliple times over two days)

A - hazy golden with nice white pillow of foam.

S - lots of lemon and grapefuruit with a huge biscuit nose

T - very nice vanilla sweetness and a huge hop bitterness

M - quite thick with a lot of residual sugar. Feels like oats or maybe lactose even. Great carbonation.

O - for the high ABV, body and sweetness, thus is super drinkable. The hop flavor is incredible on the finish and I absolutely loved this beer.

07-24-2011 01:20:43 | More by ChrisPro
Lillie1128

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev -8.5%

Tasted on 7/18

A - Pours a cloudy amber with a big white fluffy head and some ridiculous lacing

S - Yeast, hops, a little citrus

T - Orange notes, BIG hop bite that actually isn't overwhelming

M - medium, lightly carbonated

D - medium

This beer is very complex, but surprisingly light and refreshing for its hoppiness

07-22-2011 02:14:02 | More by Lillie1128