Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 5,925
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev -4.7%

Consumed directly out of the can as directed on the labeling. No canned on or best by date present. Purchased at Bueno Y Sano (Burlington, VT).

A: Unknown other than the little dribbles on the brim of the can which is golden.

S: Aroma is readily assessed through said can opening with a gamma ray like propulsion of tropical fruit including passionfruit, mango, and pineapple topped off with grapefruit and lime citrus and finished with a blast of pine and some floral notes as well. Pale maltiness is one-dimensional and a bit crackery without much residual sweetness. (4.5)

T: An extremely well-executed beer with a mirror of the aroma, yet intensified with tropical fruit and citrus notes blending with pine resin, floral, and a bit of grassy-herbal honeysuckle in there as well. Pale maltiness is light caramel and crackery, but it mainly serves as a vehicle for abundant hops assault. No yeast or alcohol and bitterness is surprisingly medium -- I think I consumed the entire tallboy in about 12 minutes. It is a very good American DIPA, but I still think there are a few more unique (ST Oak Aged Unearthly) and more aromatic and flavorful (KR Citra DIPA). (4.5)

M: Extremely smooth without being creamy, more slick related to the medium body and lowish carbonation. (4.5)

O: I really enjoyed my first experience with Heady Topper -- it is an exceptional beer and I trust it was fresh since I was close to the source. It was worth the trouble to track it down, and I found it in an off-the-beaten-path place in Burlington. Check it out for sure.

argock, Aug 20, 2014
4.24/5  rDev -10.2%

I have been waiting a year to grab this beer. Even though I hate IPAs, I wanted to see if this beer is worth the hype. I wasn't disappointed, an IPA I actually didn't mind drinking, which is the ultimate sign of respect from anti-IPA drinker. I can see why you "hop heads" dream over it

Dietter, Aug 18, 2014

Amazing Aroma. Had from Can as well as Glass. And man o Man, THis shit is bANging. Very nice lush mouthfeel, smooth drinking, and just overall balanced and well madE.

getkrunkhoe, Aug 15, 2014
4.68/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Damn, finally my excessive beer drinking has paid off and I have been granted the opportunity to at last taste the topper. Served in a can as the label so duly instructs, I did pour a smidge into a snifter for the sole purpose of being able to rate the appearance. And so here it goes...

Appearance.. Seems cloudy enough. I am surprised that the hue is pale gold as opposed to dark like some IPAs. Has the look of a wheat beer almost with a sudsy head, little lacing.

Nose.. This is the cornucopia of IPAs.. Tropical, fruity, floral, bitter. Yes.

Taste.. Follows the nose and more. The right amount of bitterness and heat doing just the trick. All the qualities of a desirable ipa.

Mouthfeel.. Slick and powerful

Overall... Now I know what the hype is about. It's for certain to me now why this brew is so coveted. Not to say I haven't had other excellent IPAs similar to this style. In fact, all things said and done I have had several that could give heady a run for its money. But! An amazing beer. Must get more.

fgmiele, Aug 14, 2014
4.35/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

What better way to break in my brand new snifter than with a can of Heady Topper, the #1 rated beer on Beer Advocate.

A - It pours a very hazy light orange with a one finger, white head that retains well.

S - The nose is a bouquet of citrusy goodness. Mangos, passion fruit, grapefruit, pineapple, with a slight touch of pine on the finish. I was quite surprised however at how subdued the nose was. The can is fresh so I was expecting an explosion of flavor that I didn't get.

T - There's the explosion I was waiting for. Follows the nose very closely. Flavor is intense and bright with the aforementioned citrusy notes shining through. Mid-palate turns to pine. Finish is a bready malt backbone that shows its head but doesn't overshadow the hops.

M - Great feel. Medium bodied, light bitterness, relatively dry, and very drinkable.

O - Great beer? Hell yes. Excellent beer? Yes. Best beer I've ever had? A resounding no. Worth the trouble of getting it but just barely.

PSU_Mike, Aug 11, 2014

The hype is real. Tried my first heady last weekend. There is not much I can say that has not already been said. So, I will say that you have not tried an IPA until you drink one of these bad boys. I was in heaven from the start with the amazing floral smell. The taste is perfect it's crazy. I thought all the hype would ruin it. But no way...Like I said in the beginning the hype is real.

Bigbri2085, Aug 09, 2014
3.19/5  rDev -32.4%

I don't get it. Maybe I'm daft but the reasons for the over-the-top love for this beer elude me. It's a very nice, refreshing, not terribly complex brew. Good quaffer on a hot summer day, with a light grapefruity bitterness and a clean finish. It's fine. It's nice. I'll drink it again for $4 a can, but I won't drive to Vermont to get it or pay a scalper $14 for it. If I don't see it again, no big deal, there are hundreds of equally good, similar brews out there.

This seems like one of those "the harder to get the better it tastes" situations.

sanhedrin, Aug 07, 2014

Best DIPA in the world. Feel like the ABV % is much higher than stated, which is a bonus.

Keep it cold, always. Never let it warm, it will change the taste. Drastically. I think lower reviews for Heady on this site had this beer shipped or let it warm up and re-cool.

vermontskier, Jul 30, 2014

I am looking at all of these reviews from people all around the country,getting this beer shiped or allowed warm at any time, the taste seems to get compromised and you dont get to enjoy the full experience. If your in Vermont, waiting every Wednesday at 10 am outside of the store for the truck to arrive, hoping you'll get a 4 pack or 2, when it's as fresh as ever.

This beer has a truly one of a kind taste and smell. A bright hazy gold, with a fluffy head. It's by far one of the most unique beers in Vermont, and anyone who's from here knows, that's a lot to compete with. Absolutely the greatest IPA out there. We're all hoping for "The Crusher", "Focal Banger", "Holy Cow IPA" to start bigger production. Keep it up Alchemist.

802Brewing, Jul 30, 2014

I thought maybe the hype was too much for this beer, but god damn! This is amazing! The appearance is a dark golden hue with a nice head that lasts and then trails down the glass. The smell is full of citrus and baked bread. The taste is crazy complex with different sensations of hops coming through all through out the taste. Love this one, maybe a new favorite.

WhiteHillsStore, Jul 28, 2014
4.35/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Received as an extra in a trade with malfunxion. First time trying this - and as advised from The Alchemist, I drank it straight from the can. The artwork on the can draws you in to that first sip. Taste is a perfect blend of hops with very little bitterness; delicious. Well done, but best beer in the world? No way.

Swettenham_Shire, Jul 27, 2014