Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 2,073 | Hads: 11,565
4.88/5  rDev +4.7%

After trying this beer I understand the hype. From the moment I started drinking it I could not stop taking sips. It tasted like a hop milkshake. So creamy and delicious, each sip built upon the previous with loads of grassy, piney, and tropical flavor bursts balanced perfectly with an amazing yeast/malt backbone. Poured half into my Spiegelau IPA glass and drank the other half from the can. This beer is heavenly. It is the most well balanced beer I've ever had. Well done Alchemist!

4.86/5  rDev +4.3%

Lives up to the hype. Thank heavens for this beer and the alchemist brewers. The only part of the beer that I felt didn't live up to the IIPA standard of greatness for me was the aroma. It was beautiful - but it was not as much of an explosion as Pliny or SoS. Otherwise - truly an experience of a beer.

Maybe the best beer I have tasted. I had heard the hype and seen the rating. If you go to Vermont, you need to check out a local store and find out when their deliveries are. I was fortunate enough to score a case at a great spot on Route 7. Smooth, beautifully hopped, lightly malted, magnificently balanced, slightly sweet. Do drink it in the can. I resisted and tried a little bit in a glass first. It is better in the can. the Alchemist has mastered the ability to put a World Class Beer in a can. I'm enjoying one a night until they are gone and I look forward to another trip to Vermont. I will share with only my BEST friends.

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

I consider myself a relative newcomer to the world of craft beer, having gotten into it rather late in life. However, I consider myself a quick learner. I have been rating and reviewing beers on BA for a little more than a year now. I feel that day by day I'm acquiring more beer tasting experience and that my reviews are getting better. As a result of an increasingly discerning and sophisticated palate, I find that my reviews while mostly positive, are becoming less effusive in praise. This past spring, my father, after a trip from San Francisco, brought me at my request a few bottles of Pliny the Elder. Long story short, I thought it was quite possibly the tastiest and most perfectly balanced IPA I had ever had. I had no choice but to give it a perfect 5.
Fast forward to Columbus day weekend of 2015. My wife and I drove up from NYC for a weekend getaway at a bed and breakfast we like in Lake Luzerne NY. On a whim, from there we decided to drive up to Vermont for a day. We got to Burlington and I immediately went in search of the famous and elusive Heady Topper. After asking around, I found out that it sold out at the liquor stores, but was available at several bars and restaurants on Church Street. We went to have dinner at the Scuffer, which is where I finally laid my lips on this white whale. The verdict:
Absolutely fucking delicious!!!! The aroma is dank, piny, resiny and overpowering with hops, yet, there is also a strong biscuity and crockery malt. The taste: total hop bomb yet such a strong sweet malt presence. Truly a perfect balance. What a tasty, flavorful and delicious brew. So easily drinkable. If I wasn't driving, I would have had about 5 of them.
As for my final score, Ive debated whether or not to give it a perfect 5. I believe that this brew is as good or even better than Pliny the elder. However, as was strongly suggested by the can and my server, I decided to heed their advice of keeping it in the can. However, my wife wanted a taste but refused to drink it from the can. (I know...she's weird about this, but hey, we all have our little quirks) Anyway, I poured her a little bit in a glass and could tell that it was an attractive hazy looking brew .I also took a sip from the glass and could tell how the taste opened up. I could also see how in the can, the tastes of the hops felt more compact and intense, which I might like better. So there you have it. This beer is like a perfect 5, except for the fact that since most of it was invisible to me inside of the can, I was not able to properly evaluate it on the look.

4.79/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have had this a couple times now....always fresh within 7 to 10 days from VT to my mouth. I did a blind tasting with heady, pliny the elder and sip of sunshine and heady and pliny were the top performers. All very strong beers....I have then done straight out of the can and as weird as it sounds it does add something. Are pliny or heady worth the effort.....if you love hops, and you want the experience....100% yes. If you love beer I think experiencing beers from those who love what you do is key....and The Alchemist love beer and what they do.

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%

This is a great IPA for sure. Lots of pine and citrus up front. Smooth finish with nice balanced hops. Alcohol does get more pronounced after a few sips.

4.49/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Craig for giving my one of these. Check this one off the list. I was sharing this with my neighbor so it was not consumed from the can per the directions.

Poured a light orange with a nice white head. The nose was a wonderful combination of citrus, piney, resinous hops, grapefruit, dank and delicious. A nice malty backbone supported the massive hop bloom. The taste followed the nose and was delicious. Grapefruit, orange, lemony, piney and resinous, dank and delicious. So glad I got to try this beer.

This was for sure the best IPA I have ever had. Better than Pliny from the first sip to the last. Clean smell and taste, perfect balance. Carbonation was spot on. If you can get this, get it.

4.15/5  rDev -10.9%

Description: Golden slightly cloudy color with a white head and lacing. Aroma was a strong floral smell with some citrus, especially orange. Taste was similar with floral and citrus up front. There is some nice hoppy bitterness on the finish but it's not a hopbomb and is very well balanced. I thought I detected some earthy/umami flavors as well but they were pretty masked. The alcohol is present but like the bitterness is not overwhelming. Carbonation is light to medium.

Suggested food pairing: Bacon wrapped bacon

If you like this beer then you should also try: White Rajah

Ideal time to drink this beer: You're on a business trip to Vermont and feel that you should do something "Vermonty" while there. Maple syrup is a popular option, but that seems so lame and cliched. You ask your hotel concierge for a recommendation and he directs you to a local pub where Heady Topper, one of the world's most highly-regarded beers, is available. You pop in for a draft and enjoy the beer, but more importantly you've now earned the right to casually drop a line at dinner parties about how you had a fancy-shmancy beer while in Vermont and can wax about all of its finer points. Chances are the listeners won't have had Heady, so you can say pretty much whatever you want.

Overall: 4.25 (This beer is good and I would likely drink it again) This a good beer, but only a "good" one. If I didn't know Heady's reputation I would never guess that it was considered a top-10 beer in the world. I really wanted this to be a fantastic beer that would blow me away, but I just couldn't get there. I'd put Sip Of Sunshine ahead of this by a wide margin. Maybe the can I had was a little off or less than fresh; I'd like to try some more just to see if that was the case. But for now, I can only judge the one I had and it didn't live up to the hype.

4.29/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Hazy orange color, light fruity smell, very drinkable with a smooth feel. Overall this really was a good beer but not the one of the best on the East Coast in my opinion. They really need to start dating their cans to ensure that they are drunken in a timely fashion.

4.6/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very nice IPA, I enjoyed this more once I poured the last 1/4 into a glass, I'm going to try the next one in a glass from the get go. Heady had a very nice to it, the smell was not something I picked up well from the can, the taste seemed to be a little citrus with a very small bitter note from the can but was quite drinkable. Once it was in the glass it lost the very mild bitter taste I picked up and became a dipa I could crush!

4.96/5  rDev +6.4%

Excellent beer. Recommened to drink out of the can instead pouring into a bottle. Wonderful fruity aroma and delicious hoppy tasta. The great think about this IPA is that it lacks the bitterness that non-hopheads hate. Overall, a great drink and one that is worth the hype.

4.91/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Nearly perfect. This beautiful IPA actually lived up to the hype. Sampled two cans-- one straight from the can and one in a glass (to view). I can confirm that drinking it straight from the can is better... but just slightly. The smoothness and citrus fruit shines through beyond all else. Loved it.

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a light cloudy orange with adequate but not super long lasting head. Aroma of tropical fruit, pine, slight floral and pineapple, mango and melon with tropical fruit esters from the yeast. Flavor matches the aroma and add a very slight sweetness that is just enough to play off of the perfect amount of bitterness in this beer. Seems like tons of late addition hops. Mouthfeel is light but with almost a fruit juice feel to it... hard to explain. Overall definitely in my top 5 DIPA's.

3.59/5  rDev -23%

Being raised in VT I had to give this a try albeit on accident. I drank it from the can therefore I could not see the beer but I am assuming it looks the part. I have never have been an IPA fan but the nose was dank, dank, pine and resin. The taste was not like anything I had tasted before, I assume people like the taste and this beer but it was a drain pour for me. Thankfully I had a friend that wanted and could not find it to buy and was very happy to get the remainder as a gift. I appreciate all different types of beer but I could not drink this. Judging from its reviews it is very popular and well liked I just could not get behind this.

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L-A hazy golden peach color with a full inch of white fluffy head. Lacing clings to the sides in layers as I drink.
S-Citrus is plain as the nose on my face. That would make it very plain for those not familiar.
T-There is the citrus you would expect. There is no bitterness what so ever which I find amazing. It's not complex or groundbreaking (anymore), it's simply incredibly well done.
F- A pretty good level of carb. Certainly not full or silky. What you would expect from an DIPA.
O-I now know why people wait in line for this beer. It isn't anything groundbreaking anymore. It's too old for that. It is simply an exhibition of doing something as close to perfection as possible. The can states "So drinkable it's scary", and I think that's about the perfect summation.

I drove ten hours from Toronto to Vermont, some of which was spent in total darkness through torrential rain, partly, just to try this beer. Once I arrived at the White Horse Inn in Waitsfield, I had my first taste.
It overwhelmed my senses.
I knew it wasn't the best beer I ever had, but I bowed to the fine craftsmanship it took to produce this masterpiece. The hops melted through my body. It tasted potent and I couldn't wait to purchase some, which I did the next day, by driving to Waterbury.
Others have described this beer better than I ever could. But suffice to say, it was worth the drive.
And I fell in love with Vermont to boot!

4.49/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tough to really add much that hasn't been said many times already below, but here goes. Poured out just a tiny bit to see what it looks like but otherwise almost every time I have drank it from the can as they emphasize. Delicious and great double IPA, with citrusy, piney hop taste. However, what many reviews fail to mention is that in my experience, Heady produces multiple waves of flavor that continue even after you have swallowed the beer. I guess the can says something about "wave after wave of hoppy goodness" and in my experience this isn't just marketing hype. That really is how it tastes, and the multiple waves of flavor is not something I have experienced with almost any other beer. Very interesting and my favorite part about this beer. Overall it's fantastic and definitely worth seeking out. However, it is NOT worth the degree of crazed hype associated with it. I can think of a dozen hoppy beers I have had this year that I'd rather have over Heady. In fact, it's not even the best DIPA made by the brewery (Focal Banger is outstanding). That doesn't mean I don't say yes any time very fresh Heady is offered to me as part of a trade...you should definitely try it at least once.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

amazing! Don't really know what i was expecting when my brother in law presented this after several days of anticipation but i can say it was worth the wait. Possibly the best ipa/dipa i have ever sampled! Seriously contemplating the 3.5 hr drive+ 1hr wait in line for a case of this...

The hype is real. Took a few days to get used to the taste, but this is by far the best beer I've ever had. Tastes hoppy with a hint of pine. Perfect for a summer on Lake Champlain.

One of my all time favorites. I love this thing I drank this from the can. Fantastic beverage can't find too much that even taste like it but there are some that try. Hands down the best!!!

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%

Look: Poured into a glass, despite the suggestion of drinking from the can. (I was sharing it with two other people). A hazy yellow color with LOTS of fluffy head which lingers and leaves a nice lacing.

Smell: Pure citrus with a light hop bitterness. Very good!

Taste: A lot of citrus upfront, with a nice balance of hops at the finish.

Feel: Very full bodied, and creamy! Very good on this one.

4.79/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

The hype is real. Pine, grapefruit, earth, citrus zest all compete in a no holds bar cage fight in your mouth were the only winner is you. Like a synchronize swim team every flavor plays its roll and comes together in harmonious crescendo that leaves angels agape of the marvels they witness. Dry finish yet creamy mouthfeel. Hop bitterness to an extreme that somehow is as smooth as a freshly waxed Lamborghini. This beer is the quintessential definition of polar opposite. I don't care how it's done. Just keep doing it.

4.92/5  rDev +5.6%

No hype here as this is the real deal. My can was gifted from a regular trading buddy, so no clue of age. The small bit I poured had a straw yellow body with a touch of hazy. A bit more head would have been nice. The nose is best in class - straight citrus hop pine resin goodness. Perfect. The flavors match the nose with peppery grapefruit, grass, and hop resins with a perfectly planned background sweetness to manage some of the bitterness. Mouth feel is fresh, super peppery, and well carbonated. It meets the hype.

Tasted was Greatness. The after taste is literally thirst quenching, by far the best IPA ive ever had, and to top it off its a double IPA, Smell is floral with a solid hop aroma.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist