Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 10,147 | Reviews: 1,973
4.69/5  rDev -0.8%

4.81/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.29/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.54/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

16oz can. No canning date, but reportedly fresh. I don't do well at following instructions so I poured it into a tulip

L - Hazy and almost syrup thick. I was half expecting hunks of hop cone to plop into my glass. Certainly not the most appealing looking beer
S - Quite light on the nose. I am getting why the instructions are drink from can... This isn't your floral hop bomb - more dank with hints of citrus but muted
T - Surprisingly light and smooth with a sharp bitterness on the finish. Dank piney hops with a slight sweetness, but very well balanced based on how syrupy the pour was - I expected it to be sweeter
F - A touch prickly but smooth and rich. I could swear this was half oats or something; so soft and velvety

O - Digging it. Quite a polarized IPA. It isn't trying to be more than one thing, it just goes for it and does dank, piney and rich as hard as possible.

4.54/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

It was great, but not my favorite ever...

4.86/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.22/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.94/5  rDev +4.4%

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

4.71/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.91/5  rDev +3.8%

Going in depth on this beer doesn't feel necessary, suffice to say it is after several years of narrowing down the IPA field, it is my favorite DIPA and favorite beer. I'm a native vermonter who doesn't have regular access to this anymore, so perhaps I will do a full detailed review when I next have a fresh can.
I used to turn down grabbing a 4pk of this when it would come out, weekly, at the local cooperative where I worked, grabbing a Victory Dirtwolf or some other local VT options. However now that I live in Jersey City, I have to say, this is the tastiest beer that I've ever had. The best DIPA unquestionably. And I look forward to having it again all the time now that I don't have the availability. Too much of a good thing, and you don't know what you've got on your hands...
Heady Topper for president.

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had a Heady Topper. It was the best Hoppy beer I have ever had. I water picked, flossed, and brushed my teeth. I went to bed. I burped in my sleep. I awoke to Christmas in my mouth. It left a lasting impression. I'd love another Heady and will seek one out!

4.96/5  rDev +4.9%

With all the hype, I was skeptical. It really measured up. Unfiltered golden color. Volumes of citrusy hop flavor. Long, rich finish. Despite an abv 8% it hours it well. Great beer, no other words for it.

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

Amazing!!! Want more...but only available in vt!!! The anticipation makes it better

4.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The Elusive Heady Topper... The beer no one can get unless you have knowledge from the locals. This winter I trekked up to Waterbury VT to do some skiing with my gf in nearby Stowe. We knew about this beer prior to the trip but didn't realize just how rare and difficult it was to track down. Shops in Waterbury who stock the brew have special stickers on their doors that designate them as authorized retailers. Can you believe that? It's like an Apple product!
I did some research on where the best place was to purchase the Topper after two unsuccessful trip to local shops. Silly me, it was a Wednesday after all, I should have known that cases of this sweet nectar don't survive that deep into the week... I used BA and found that the State Liquor store off RT 108 was the place to head towards. There I met manager Bob, a big surly santa type figure. A friendly and chatty fella, Bob helped navigate my search for the Topper and even told me about special Maine Beer Co releases, as I had picked up a few bottles of their beer to hold me over until Topper came.
He told me and the 3 other guys in the shop who were also searching to come back tomorrow at 3 o'clock sharp if we wanted to score a 4 pack.
The next day, I was excited to ski but I think I was looking forward to getting the beer even more. After each run, I checked my phone to make sure we wouldn't miss it. I knew the shuttle schedule by heart as I wanted to time our departure in exact coordination with the release of the beer. After ending our day on the slopes, we took the bus back towards town. We told the driver we we're on a quest and directed him towards the state liquor store. He didn't bat an eye as I'm sure this request didn't seem out of place in northern VT. Try doing that in a city, see if they stop for you to acquire your rare double IPA..
We nearly sprinted into the shop as we saw others starting to pull into the lot as they too must have also been tipped off. We scurried to the back of the shop where there were several cases laid out with a sign that pointed to it. Like a flag had been planted by early everest explorers, like yes, you have made it, congrats!
We paid our money and exited the shop with two 4 packs in hand, as each one of us was allowed 1 pack. We anxiously waited for our ride back so we could crack these bad boys open in the hotel.
I think the search was the high point. It's like tourists that come to NYC and wait inline for 3 hours to eat those bizarre cronuts. Yes the cronut is probably good, maybe even worth the ridiculous wait. But what they gained besides the calories was a story. That's what our Heady Topper experience was like. The brew is awesome, don't get me wrong. But if you already drink good beer than this is just another to add to your list.
Heady Topper to me will always be a reminder of my trip to Stowe, having to make a special stop alongside the road to grab a 4 pack with skis in hand. It was an awesome experience, and I recommend the same to anyone who has the chance to do so.

Sorry for my rant, I love this site and was excited for this to be my first post.

Good luck to all finding this elusive brew!!

(I canned the look, no pun intended, as you are directed to leave it in the there, no peaking..)

4.89/5  rDev +3.4%

Can drank from can with 2 oz poured into snifter for appearance rating

Appearance: hazy golden color lots of particulates. White 2 finger head

Aroma: resinous and grapfruit.

Taste: same as aroma. Finishes off a little bitter but super drinkable

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, basically just perfect

Overall: what more can I say it's heady. My favorite d ipa

4.94/5  rDev +4.4%

4.23/5  rDev -10.6%

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Heady Topper from The Alchemist