Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 4,816
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
JustJez

06-01-2014 15:37:19 | More by JustJez
nickbman

Iowa

06-01-2014 15:36:42 | More by nickbman
EveningCordial

Can to snifter, although just out the can is great.

A- perfect. I love a light colored DIPA with little malt in the appearance. Yellow with a slight orange hue.

S- punch of fruity and citrus hops. Mango, orange, and other fruits on the nose. No malt anywhere but that's how I love a DIPA.

T- by far the best beer I've had. I'm an IPA or dark stout guy by heart, and while there's tons of great barrel aged and rare stouts out there, this is just my favorite beer overall. No alcohol apparent and one must careful with these. I could drink a case of Heady and have to be carried home or to the hospital, just that refreshing.

O- I find it harder to find words for the good ones. This us just the best beer I've ever had, no matter the hype, this deserves to be #1 in my book.

06-01-2014 13:24:33 | More by EveningCordial

cindyjeffsmith

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

appearance: poured a bit into a glass to get a look and drinking the rest from the can as advised. Cloudy medium gold. Nice enough white head, messy lacing that doesn't stick around long. Pretty enough though I guess looks aren't what this guy is all about.
smell: now that is a rich, creamy, citrusy nose. Orange, pine, mango....just bursting with citrus.
taste: Even better. I have to restrain myself from gulping. All those citrus flavors so perfectly melded. Damn.
overall: Extraordinary. I went back to poring in a glass. The can just didn't open the flavors like the glass pour. Maybe i'm not doing it right. Also notice the hop intensity dulls the mouth a bit. I'm not tasting as much as I drink more. In any case...wow.

05-30-2014 23:47:15 | More by cindyjeffsmith
dcsnowrider

05-30-2014 22:38:41 | More by dcsnowrider
rparlaman1

Georgia

The hype is real and so is the beer. I was lucky enough to get my hands on two cases at two seperate times and the biggest concern was drinking it and not having any left, but I didnt want it to sit around!

Now all I want is a beer like this and do not have access to it anymore. Living in Roswell,Ga I can get close to it at the Wrecking Bar (Hop Noggin) and Burnt Hickory Brewery (Old Wooden Head).

If you get a chance to try it, buy it or trade for it...DO IT!

05-30-2014 15:44:08 | More by rparlaman1
JDoogle

Rhode Island

05-30-2014 14:47:11 | More by JDoogle
VTbrewfan

4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

I was lucky enough to visit the cannery before it was closed to the public and have been able to get a few cans of Heady from various friends since then. Every time I have one, it's a borderline religious experience.

A: Orange-yellow, hazy, with a good chance of a few floaters. The appearance wasn't a turn off for me, but I can see how it would be for some people, hence the very slight deduction in this category. If you only have one can of Heady, do yourself a favor and follow the recommendation of drinking straight from it. It does make a difference.

S: Pine, loads of citrus, weed, moss. Dank. The first whiff when you open the can is hard to describe but it's amazing.

T: Huge hop bomb, but what's scary is that it doesn't have any of the bitterness that a lot of DIPAs out there have. It's ridiculously smooth and drinkable. You can literally distinguish every note of this beer, whether it's the citrus, pine, weed/moss- there isn't one note that overpowers the next. And you can pick out something different in every sip. Simply amazing.

M: This is another category that I think really sets Heady apart from other DIPAs, including Pliny. I personally prefer the silkier and thicker unfiltered mouthfeel of Heady. Others may not have this preference, but I think the added body really adds to the whole experience.

O: Heady Topper is the real deal. I can honestly say it is the best beer I have ever had. I'm always a little sad when I'm finishing my last can because I know it'll be a while before I'll be able to get another. I just wish the Alchemist would start distributing in Boston...

05-30-2014 01:02:38 | More by VTbrewfan

NRo

05-29-2014 18:23:03 | More by NRo
Michael-Poppe

4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

So this is my first review as I am new to BA. I have been drinking this beer for sometime. My profile picture is off my trunk leaving Waterbury VT, I found a place that didn't have a case limit (like most do) so my trip was very productive.

I love IPAs and this is tops for me right now. It is perfectly balanced and just makes you happy while drinking.

The color is golden and hazy

Pine and citrus notes

Finish is smooth and delicious. It has staying power and doesn't dissipate anytime soon

Hit the Prohibition Pig and had it on draught, I preferred it out of the can to be perfectly honest.

Truly a must have for ANYONE. Most of the time you hear how good a beer is it never lives up to the hype...THIS DOES.

Drink on boys and girls

Delaware

05-29-2014 01:00:25 | More by Hearneator
MicroBeerMan1980

4.94/5  rDev +4.4%

I should have reviewed this beer by now, but these reviews are hard to write while you've been imbibing.

A: Hazy, straw yellow, and cloudy (I know it's supposed to be cloudy). White frothy head, with good retention.

S: Pine, citrus, diesel, a bit of peach, and severely dank. Sweet malts on the back end. Outstanding! One of the best smelling DIPA's I've ever put my nose to.

T: Big hop profile. Bitter, flavorful, drinkable and full bodied. Well rounded. Tastes just like it smells. Big pine, citrus, and diesel notes. There's an undercurrent of peach married with the very clean malt backbone on this beer.

M: Surprisingly drinkable and clean. No bad aftertaste. No off flavors. It doesn't weigh down the pallet too much. It doesn't leave the mouth dry or sticky.

O: For a 9.2% beer, this one's got the goods. Refreshing on a hot day, or sipping on during a brisk fall afternoon.

05-28-2014 22:22:58 | More by MicroBeerMan1980