Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 5,343
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

Idrankitall, Jul 16, 2014
4.69/5  rDev -0.8%

Hmmm, what can I say? It's one of the best beers I have had the joy of drinking. Everything from the presentation of the can, the four pack little plastic holder thingy, to the fact that it's a pounder can, just makes it that much more special.

I was lucky enough to make a trip to Montpelier, VT and purchase three cases of this delicious beer. I listened to the instructions and I have drank every single one from the can. That is the only reason I couldn't really judge the appearance that much as I can only see it in the bowels of the dark can.

The smell gets you immediately. My nose lights up as I take my first sip. You are hit with a wall of amazing hop flavor. I have come to expect this from double IPA's but what I was caught off guard by was the extreme smoothness at the end. I mean this in the best possible way when I say it ends with little to no drama. It's deceptively easy to go down and would be very dangerous if you didn't know what you were drinking.

Definitely in my top two or three beers...

ThomasJ25, Jul 16, 2014

pbauersfeld, Jul 16, 2014
4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Zach_H, Jul 16, 2014
4.95/5  rDev +4.7%

I have had this beer multiple times and I just can't get enough.
Always drink from the can if it is possible.
The smell will make you want to climb inside. You may find yourself smelling the beer more than you are sipping it.
I have had it straight off the tap in Vermont with John Kimmich and I have had a can 6 months old and this beer holds up nicely. Not saying I would suggest keeping it around that long by any means.
Drink it fresh and from the can and don't be a douchebag.

rwhite757, Jul 16, 2014

Sheepdog2169, Jul 15, 2014

Mipper, Jul 15, 2014

2-star, Jul 15, 2014
4.76/5  rDev +0.6%

DRINK FROM THE CAN! All caps, all bold, and topped off with an exclamation point. How does one disregard such a declaration? Furthermore, how do you rate appearance on a beer you can't see? Well, I cheated and poured some out. Nice, rich orange body, not too much head. But since it's the can that's truly making the appearance, let's talk about the can. The can is awesome. The dude with the outburst of hops from his cranium: terrific. And I'm partial to the message on the back: "Don't Be A D-Bag, Recycle This Can."

Once you crack Heady open, sniff it immediately. Like you're President Skroob in Spaceballs, hungry for fresh oxygen. The smell is wonderful. It's fresh, full of grapefruit and bitter pine. I love it!

Heady's a bitter bomb from front to back. Again, grapefruit and pine are piled onto the palate (oh, the alliteration). Oddly enough, the taste is not quite as fresh as the smell.

A bit syrupy on the mouthfeel. Heady doesn't drink as cleanly as, for instance, Hill Farmstead or Maine beers.

Overall, I think Heady Topper deserves to top the 250. Is it the best beer I've ever had? I don't think so. But it didn't disappoint me one bit.

MakeMineADoubleJack, Jul 14, 2014