Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 2,072 | Hads: 11,562
4.82/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a slightly cloudy amber color with a stark white bubbly head. The aroma is great. The second the can pops you can smell the hops. The aroma is of piney hops and floral hops. It smells like an earthly flower shop. The taste follows suit, there is no ripe your face of bitterness just a great blended flavor. The malts are there as the backbone, but the hops play out with piney earthy hops up front before a floral and citrus hop flavor comes through at the end. The mouthfeel is perfect. Overall this beer is as good as advertised. A great beer a must try.

4.77/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Poured a chug into pint glass just to see what it looked like. Drank rest out of can.

A very cloudy but love it.
S pine and grapefruit dominant but complex. Not as pungent as i was expecting
M very nice malt backbone compared to some ipas and still very drinkable
T excellent. Maybe perfect. Reminds me a lot of fff permanent funeral but with more citrus
O this actually lives up to the hype. Im only docking slightly b/c it didnt improve imo as it warmed. Also i think ill drink the next one from the glass as the can did nothing for me

Thanks BA ironchefmiyagi

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

Tall boy can
A) Pours with a big head. Tight, big bubble head slowly settles to a thin lacing at the edge of the glass. Slightly hazy body copper in color. Semi-sticky lacing on the drink down.
S) Crazy aromatic - could smell the hops as soon as I cracked the can. Orange. Pink grapefruit. Hints of pine. Bright floral notes.
T) A great blend of hops and malts. The malts are subdue midway through by the hops. Pine resin. A lingering hop bite in the aftertaste.
M) Medium body. Tannic, slick tongue feel. Dry leafy finish.
O) A delicious IPA. I'd have another ... If I had another.

3.36/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I knew I'd tick this one eventually without having to actively seek it out. Success! Thanks Dan for the share on your extra. 2 oz. into a tulip so I could mark the visuals and aroma, another 3-4 oz. straight from the can on June 14th, 2013.

A - Lightly cloudy, murky medium-golden color with an enormously bubbly head. Good retention and lacing.

S - Deeply resinous, pine-sol, rouge, slightly burnt caramel, touch of peach and herbs.

T - It's really better balanced than I thought it would be. That being said, the hops are sharp, overly-acidic, and disappointingly simple. Grapefruit rind, toasted almond, and lemon peel.

M - Light body, moderate carbonation, very dry (even sour-like) finish.

D - I'm a bit stunned in a bad way. There are scores of other IPA/DIPA's I would choose over this particular can. Another revisit? I don't know.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The hype of this beer made me want it. Got it on a beer trade from a bloke in nj. Opened the can and dug my nose in it... So delicious. Super hop aroma and pine. Put a chug in my mouth and swished it around like scope and put it down. Then came. Nothing more.

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The Alchemist Heady Topper

Thanks to Jackie for the opportunity to give this one a go.

Enjoyed directly from the can, as recommended by the brewer. This was chilled to optimal temperature.

A) Poured about an ounce into a sampler glass to get a look at this brew. A hazy golden amber, with a small white head. Looks nice...

S) Very impressive... I've opened quite a few beers in my time, but this was something new. Upon cracking this one open, there was just an explosion of hops aroma. I'm so accustomed to pouring a beer into a glass, and getting my nose in there, but that is simply not necessary with this beer. Plenty piney/citrusy , and some tropical fruits too.

T) Very nice balance... The hops is the main attraction, but it is never overly bitter. Layers of hoppy goodness, piney, grassy, grapefruit, mango, a little lemon zest. Absolutely no indication the ABV is 8%.

M) A solid medium body, with light carbonation. A good jolt of hops, yet remarkably smooth. This is easy drinking, and finishes so clean.

O) Glad I was finally able to board this hype train. It took a long time to finally get the opportunity, but this one is worth seeking out for any hop lover. Only got one can, so staring at it now completely empty is a bit of a bummer. Anyone in Vermont looking to get their hands on some New Glarus beer?

4.68/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Ok, so I never give out 5s, but I had such an amazing experience with this beer I felt I had to. I have been craving this beer ever since I heard about and through the generosity of fellow BAs, I am able to enjoy it multiple times.

Yes, I gave it a 5 for appearance, because I don't see anything wrong with the hazy, sediment filled brew. I would rather that than have them filter it and alter it to make it more 'aesthetically appealing'. The aroma is pungent hops, juicy grapefruit and light toasty malts that all work together in total harmony and synchronization. Flavor is smooth and glides gracefully along the palate. It's such a pleasant and soft mouthfeel, giving it dangerous drinkability.

I can honestly say this was a perfect beer for me. Everything worked together and nothing was over or underpowered. Simply amazing.

4.59/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I have to say that I was impressed by this beer. I only managed to have a couple of sips since i was sharing the one can we found we a couple of friends but i found this beer to be very,. very enjoyable.
The can has some pretty cool artwork
The smell was nice and hoppy, with a fantastic aroma of tropical fruits and grasses
The flavor was what sealed the deal for me, really crisp, clean, with a slow rolling bitterness that led to a lightly sweet finish the hangs with you for a while.
All in all it is a great beer, too bad they dont distribute more of it, because i would buy a case

4.44/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 ounces of perfection. Amazing head and deep copper body. Smells of sticky hops and strong sweet malty goodness.

Taste follows suit with an abundance of hoppy delightfulness paired with a strong malt backbone.

The price is right and the taste is too. Absolutely a world class beer. Glad I can get a steady stream of this because for a dipa it can't be beat.

4.86/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Reviewed from notes. Finally getting around to typing it up. Full disclosure, I drank a lot of Heady over a several month period and so my review ultimately takes into account my judgments across many samples.

A. Orange with a modest creamy white head. If drank from the can (which is wonderful and in many ways I prefer), then the appearance is simply a lovely can which immediately provokes a Pavlovian response from me...

O. Candied grapefruit, citrus, sweet and sap like, some fresh pine. Not overwhelming, but mildly abrasive. Not too shabby indeed.

T. Now we come to the sledgehammer. Taste is where this beer winds up and lays the smack down on most all other DIPAs. Holy mother mountain of grapefruit! Pungent hops, astringent, tangy, abrasive, piney, puckering. Use whatever words you want; it's bliss in a beer. But its not just the hops! There is a breadiness that is ever so delicate. It's not your standard syrupy malt, but a wonderful crisp yeast and acid balance that leaves you always wanting more. It's the unique signature of this beer.

M. Resinous and creamy, without feeling heavy. This is everything you want from a DIPA. Drinking from the can or from the glass is a true joy.

O. What more can be said about this gem. It's a true hop monster. When absolutely fresh, it's an untamed beast. When several months old, it remains a marvelously balanced DIPA. The utter lack of a classic malt profile is the real kicker here, and it's what makes this beer stand out against other well known DIPAs.

4.73/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A: Golden honey brown colored body with a bubbly, rocky and creamy looking head. A nice retention ring is left behind, along with sticky lace on the walls. Unfiltered floaties are unmistakable in the body, as mentioned there might be should you pour this out. Really, they're just ugly and kill the looks of the beer. I can't help but think this is part of the reason they recommend drinking from the can (other than the hop aroma retention).

S: Piney and earthy hop notes rocket from the glass. Hop resin and oils, orange and lemon bitter peels are next. Towards the end is a crisp bready element and caramel & pale malts. Touches of bitterness dance around the entire nose.

T: Bitter hop resin and oils wrestle the palate with a gentle nature. Pine and earthy hop notes again come through. Mid-palate are sweet orange and pink grapefruit oils, a generic citrus and rich sweet caramel malts. Finishes sticky and bitter.

M: Bubbly and creamy, perhaps a bit thin for a medium-bodied beer, though. Sticky bitter pine and sap on the palate in the linger.

This is easily in the top five Imperial IPAs I've ever had to date. It's extremely balanced, flavorful and never lets up on the delicious hop abuse.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

473ml can served in a tulip (to take a look in the appearance) and also drunk from the can as suggested by the brewer.

A: Pours a hazy yellow to orange to beige color forming a small think bubbled creamy head. Low retention and only few lingering lacings left in the glass

S: Hops bomb, of course. Refreshing and delicious. Strongly tropical fruity profile with strong notes of green mango (I've grown up in Brazil and we've had some mango trees in our backyard. So, believe me, green mango smells pretty much like this). A bit lemony. Malts and some sweetness

T: Excellent taste. Again, of course, giving emphasis to the hops. But the malts profile is also very good. Pale malts, mainly, something between Maris Otter and Perl, Slightly sweet upfront but with an overall, dry and crispy malt profile. Intensive hops bitterness, however, very well harmonized. Notes of citrus lemony hops. Green mango, tropical fruits. Light notes of brown sugar

M: Medium body and carbonation. Strong citrus hoppy aftertaste

O: Very drinkable. Excellent experience. I was expecting an excellent IIPA and that's exactly what I've got

3.93/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

An east coast DIPA trying to be an west coast DIPA. Pours a very cloudy light amber to dark golden color. A good carbonation with good retention through the tasting.

The nose offers a lot of complexity and very malt forward. A nice citrus forward aroma with notes of orange mango and lemon. Some minor grapefruit, more comes out as you taste it. Some piney and hint of herbal undertones as well but more citrus forward. A hint of bready malts but no off yeast notes.

The taste is a bit one dimensional. Hoppy flavors up front with good citrus and orangy flavors. The grapefruit comes out a bit more versus the nose. But the bitterness is a bit lacking and the malt/body is hidden. Some piney and over resiny notes come out as well into the finish. But I would have liked a bit more complexity in the taste.

The body is moderately light. Has more of a single IPA character instead of the DIPA complexity. Carbonation is good.

I do feel like Im nit picking this beer, and there are some fantastic hop notes that really come out, but I am really looking for a bit more character here. Well it's a good thing no one really reads these reviews anyways.

4.87/5  rDev +4.5%

The artwork ok the can itself is killer. Although it clearly states to drink straight from the can I opted instead to pour this one into a tulip to scope it out. Very hazy burnt orange in color, minimal head and lots of "floaties" that anyone whos done any research has been warned about.

The smell is everything I would ever want out of a beer in this category. It smells so incredibly juicy. Mango/pineapple/tropical hop notes, some orange/grapefruit/citrusy notes, touch of resiny pine, touch of malt. You can tell its got a little touch of alcohol but I wouldnt guess it clocks in at 8%.

Here the alcohol is a little more present but blends SO WELL with the juicy hop explosion it delivers right off the first sip. From the second it touches your taste buds all the way through the finish this ones an A+. Im getting all those mango/tropical hop notes with a slight bitterness as well. The flavor seems to saturate your entire palate but not in an immediate/ assaulting way, its like a soft blanket of perfect IPA flavor that covers your palate completely. So good. And SO DRINKABLE. Very flavorful yet very smooth, super addicting from the first sip and very easy to put back. I'd definitely suggest against buying a single can unless thats your only option.

Mothfeel....hmmm....some noteable carbonation but not crackling or stinging if that makes any sense. Goes down super smooth. Medium to full body. Almost an oxymoron because right as I start to notice that almost drying grapefruit bitterness most IPAs have the juicy tropical notes come through and wash that away. Very slight alcohol warmth is noteworthy too but its just the right amount and fits in perfectly with the rest of what this beer has to offer.

Worth the Hype? Idk, it depends on what you have to go through to get it. After all, it IS still a beer...but in my opinion, if you've been questing for this one, keeep at it. I lived in MA for most of my life and spent the last couple years trying to track this one down to no avail. Moved all the way down to NC and within the first 2 months got it as a random gift from a boss at a new job. The irony. Easily one of, if not definitely my favorite of all the IPAs/ DIPAs I've EVER had. Its just got the total package. The drinkability on this one is UNREAL despite being so incredibly flavorful and semi high in alcohol. IPAs arent normally "my thing" these days but if I had regular access to this beer theres no doubt id be buyin the shit out of it each and every chance I had.

Perfectly balanced IPA. Great Hoppy flavor, not overly bitter and very drinkable. The smell hits you when opening the can. The fruity/floral flavor hits your palate instantly and lasts. They recommend that you drink it out of the can, but I tried it both from can and glass and found no difference.

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%

Sampled from a can in a standard pint glass. Thanks surge1311!

A - Yellowish, light golden color and very hazy with minimal head. Not all that appealing if the aroma didn't hit me as fast as the visuals.

S - Wow! This thing cranks out aroma like nothing else I've had. Wonderful notes of pineapple, orange, grapefruit, ...

T - This is my kind of IPA. It's all about the hops and specifically late addition hops. There's enough malt there to prop it up but it gladly takes a backseat. The hop flavors follow the aroma closely. There's also a firm fruity flavor and a mild bitterness. The 8% alcohol is completely unnoticed.

M - A moderate consistency with a low carbonation. Nothing special but it supports the flavors nicely.

O - Wow, what a brew. As for the Pliny vs HT debate, no comparison in my mind. They're two different but very special things. It's like trying to say which one of my kids is my favorite.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- Poured about 6oz into a snifter before drinking the rest from the can. Pours a hazy yellow-orange with an inch of head that quickly fades to a film of bubbles on the surface. Some sediment but this pour was off the top of the can so it isn't bad.

Smell- If my world could smell like one thing it would be Heady Topper. I get some pine up front then just waves of juicy tangerine and a little alcohol.

Taste- Again, waves of hop flavor come through to the point where it is hard to pick out individual notes. The bitterness is pretty subdued which is amazing for the amount of hops used. I don't get pine in the taste just more juicy fruit and a little sweetness.

Mouthfeel- Medium to full mouthfeel. I get stickiness that allows the flavor to linger but not necessarily the resiny mouthfeel of some other DIPA. Moderate carbonation..

Overall- I don't think there is anything quite like this. I would describe it as liquid hop extract without the bitterness. Just juicy and delicious plus with 16 ounces at 8% you have a nice little buzz afterwards. Can is right, it is so drinkable it's scary.

4.8/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

16 oz can courtesy of tommyguz pours an uber-hazed gold color with a stubborn, sticky off white head. It's money on retention and lacing.

Nose is juicy citrus and tropical hop aroma. Bubblegum dank with pineapple and mango. As Borat would put it - That's a very nice!

Pretty amazing they can pack this much hop flavor into a beer these days. Lots of bitterness here too. You can tell there is malt in there, but good luck finding a flavor description to attach to it. Just a massive tidal wave of hops - citric, tropical, piney; you name it hop-wise, its here. ABV is well hidden and the flow is nice from the hop flavor to the bitter finish...not halting at all. Definitely a world class beer, good enough to say that if I was transferred to Vermont for work, regualr access to this would be one of the first things to pop into my mind.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It may sound blasphemous, but really not much separates a lot of the top American IPAs - Sculpin, Resin, Double Jack, etc. They're extremely good, but somewhat similar. But Heady Topper has that x factor that keeps you wanting more. Not sure if it's the well-rounded mouthfeel or supremely fresh taste. It's just infinitely drinkable.

First you get juicy hops and it's almost a little too bitter. Then after a couple sips the bitterness mellows out a bit, yielding to a wide range of fruity hop flavors -- citrus, grapefruit, mango and apple. There's also a big, green piney/grassy/herbal hop presence. The mouthfeel is big, round, creamy and balanced, but also resinous and sappy at times. Combined with the tangy fruit profile, it's somewhat reminiscent of a sophisticated cider or champagne. Really dry, bitter finish.

It's a thoroughly American IPA and there is a distinct lack of nutty/biscuity/malty characteristics that you might find in more internationally-inspired brews. That's the only negative thing I can think of to say. But it's surely better off as is.

This beer just keeps giving and giving and it's difficult to pin down why you enjoy it so much. You just keep reaching for cans until you realize that it's still an 8% abv brew and you should probably not kill that precious 4-pack by yourself tonight.

4.93/5  rDev +5.8%

I finally got my hands on some HT, and in one of the most unlikely places of all. A cheese and wine shop. Through word of mouth I got the scoop that there's some HT a few doors down, so I had to take the rest of the afternoon to dabble.

It is definitely a standout beer. Just the hype surrounding it makes it difficult to be impartial. In a few words, it's a very well balanced DIPA with a massive citrusy blast . In my opinion the citrus is what makes it unique. Would I put it @ #1?... not sure, it's definitely up there. In any case, it's definitely worth a try. Massive hype aside, this beer will not disappoint even the most picky beer snob.

4.11/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Great nose! Excellent hazy orange color with substantial white head. I had this from the can, but would love to try it on tap. The on-can instructions to drink it directly from the can are a little disconcerting for the average beer snob. We like glassware!

In short, it is a very tasty beer, but a bit single-faceted to be rated as high as the Plinys. This is more of a grassy hop bomb like Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' than a full-bodied, well-rounded palette pleaser.

3.96/5  rDev -15%

This is quite the beer with the only downside being the appearance, which is probably why the brewer suggests drinking it from the can.

Pours a nice light golden/yellow. But the uneven haze and murkiness just don't look appealing. The absence of a nice fluffy white head makes it worse. Lacing is splotchy

From there things look up. A nice mango, citrus, grapefruit pairing of hops in the nose. Not all that juicy as some dIPAs, but certainly above average. Light biscuit malt

As this one warms it gets a bit buttery, although butter isn't quite the right term. Pithy? Not sure, but the sharpness of the hop flavors (citrus, grapefruit, pomelo) loses a bit after a short while. The biscuit becomes doughy. Still, the flavors are really enjoyable and quenching.

Feel is dry and sparkly. A nice summer time dIPA that hides the abv well.

4.61/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a very cloudy (mostly opaque) straw color, with 1.5 fingers of white head, composed of small and medium bubbles. The head dissolved into a think film pretty quickly. The little bit I poured did leave moderate+ lacing on the glass. Looks unfiltered, as there are some particulates in the ounce or so that I poured.

S: From the rocks glass: Floral and hoppy. Smells pretty balanced. From the can: harder to smell, but I pick up more fruity sweetness. Pineapple is the fruit I'm most reminded of.

T: Lots going on here. A moderate/moderate- sweet and slightly spicy start. Mild malt mid-taste; perhaps just a bit biscuity. Finishes with a medium dose of clean citrus hops. It's strength is in its balance. I don't notice any alcohol at 8% abv.

M: Medium- body; enough body to respect but not so much your tongue gets tired. Much closer to how an IPA should feel than a DIPA. Carbonation is great. If I could find them, I feel like I could have a couple of these on a summer afternoon.

O: Great brew, though it resembles an IPA more than a DIPA. I'm fine with this beer defining the smell, taste, and body of what an good IPA should be. I'd prefer it be a bit darker and clearer in appearance, but I'm not willing to sacrifice its smell, taste, or mouth-feel to get there. It's a great beer, and if they weren't so hard to get ahold of, I'd sit outside and enjoy a few of them on a summer afternoon.

4.86/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

One of my all time favorites. I've had this many times, but finally doing a proper review.

Appearance - A hazy golden orange-yellow with a white fluffy head.

Aroma - Fruity, hoppy, and fresh. Citrus fruits like orange and grapefruit can be smelt. Also, a floral and resinous hop flavor comes through as well. A light malt flavor can be detected in the back ground.

Taste - A fresh hop blast hits you with every sip. Orange, grapefruit, pine, and resin. A malt backbone is there too.

Mouthfeel - Easy drinking and super smooth. Not overly bitter. A perfect balance for a DIPA.

Overall - Always a favorite of mine and I love being close to getting it when I have the chance. Easy drinking and very flavorful. Can't get enough!

3.86/5  rDev -17.2%

Straight from can as recommended, 10 min out of the fridge.

A - ?

S - Smells alternately nice and piney and something sort of chemical-y sweet, partly like sunscreen. Not bad but unusual.

T - That sunscreeny/piney element carries through on the palate. It seems a more green and planty overall now, with the sunscreen aspect leaning more toward something buttery sweet that you'd find in baked goods. It's a very pleasant and smooth taste overall. It's definitely an accomplishment in fresh tasting flavor. It pops. I'm glad the bitterness isn't stunt-grade. It's just enough to give it substantial bite to this fairly lupulin-tolerant palate of mine without becoming that distracting kind of bitter that must be partially tolerated while being partially enjoyed. This bitterness was all enjoy and a pleasant complement to the flavors.

M - Nothing special. Just sort of normal beery, a bit sharp. Leaves some mild hop abrasion on the tongue afterwards for a good while.

O - I knew the hype on this one but have trained myself to go into these things now just expecting a very good beer instead of ecstasy and in that respect I was not disappointed. It's a very good beer. I'll try the next one out of a pint glass and adjust/refine this review. A tornado was coming when I drank this and I figured I'd better go ahead and try the top rated beer in the world before I maybe died (didn't). So next time will be calmer.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist