Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Ratings: 10,778 | Reviews: 2,155

I was given a can by an extremely generous BA on here, this was my white whale and I have now slayed it and it was worth evry ounce of hype. I took the first sip and it was great, maybe not the best beer I've ever had but it was up there. The more it warmed up it got better with every sip until I could literally think of nothing I would change about the beer, so it earns a 5 from me. A steady supply of this would be dangerous, and IIPA's aren't even my favorite style of beer but this is my favorite beer I have tried yet in my short time diving in to craft beer. Side note, I drank about half from a glass and half from the can, and maybe it's just in my head because they tell you to on the can, but I think I liked straight from the can a little better.

4.84/5  rDev +2.3%

Great IPA. No bad after taste juat delicious light and easy to drink. Def recommend if you can get your hands on it

4.71/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Well.. it wasn't MIND BLOWING... but it was a perfectly balanced IPA... not my favorite, but I'd get it again.

4.94/5  rDev +4.4%

I'm not going to do the typical L S T F O stuff that is on this site for this beer. I have frequented the site for years and years and this is the beer that made me have to do a review. I was skeptical when I obtained this beer. It can't be worth the hype. It can't be as good as this website says it is. I'm here to write that it is, without a doubt, the most incredible DIPA I have ever had. Not too strong, yet still flavorful. Still aromatic. I drank it form the can so I can't comment on the look but I don't care. This is a beer that is extremely hard for me to obtain in the area I am. I never thought I would get this beer. And now that I have, every IPA I have ever had fails in comparison. It was perfect.

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A - The beauty here is in seeing what is coming, but the golden orange body, opaque, and moderate thin white head, are not stunning. The can art is great, and it is not a bad looking beer, but it is not exceptionally good looking.

S - On the other hand, the smell is a full range of fruit notes, from hints of orange and grapefruit, to stone fruit elements, tropicals and mild grain and grass elements underpinning. The depth and fullness stun, and my wife, who hates beer, even agreed that this is a good smelling brew. As full and ranging as this is, it avoids the harsher hop notes common in bold IPAs I've had.

T - Man, oh, man. Delivering a broad, full range of fruit flavors, mango and grapefruit, peaches, couples with deep grains and floral and grassy notes. The depth is extraordinary.

M - For how bruising and bold the hop profile, this could have been a scraper. Many this bold are. But the feel, though full, with a touch of drying in the close, is not abusive. A gentle giant.

O - So this is what the hype is about. A tremendous treat, with bold complex flavors that do not overwhelm the palate. The real trick here is getting all of these elements to sing in harmony, and the brewers earned their name on this one. Worth every bit of credit this beer gets.

4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

Great beer. Solved the problem with the supply of Heady Topper. I just brewed a clone version and was virtually identical.

4.06/5  rDev -14.2%

Was a good DIPA....don't know if it is worthy of all the hype

4.39/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer. I think the exclusivity feeds the hype a bit. Its hype creates a few more naysayers among the people ive talked to about it. Nonetheless, its at the top of the list for a reason. Great taste, packs a punch, drink it in the can like it says, i do notice a difference. Its got that murky unfiltered look anyway so the glass wont do much for you. I cant tell yet if i like this or Lawsons sip o' sunshine better. But i do know i wish both companies expanded their distribution to other areas than vermont.

4.98/5  rDev +5.3%

I could drink this all day long. Superb!

Got one can given to me by a customer at my job in buffalo new york, and it was absolute perfection to my taste buds. I would recommend this masterpiece to anyone. My only disappointment is that the brewery is 7 hours from my house, and it's nearly impossible to obtain even a can around here.

Finally got my hands on a couple cans of it and it didn't dissapoint. Poured the last of my can into a pint glass just to get a look at it. One of the few beers that lives up to the hype! A crushable dipa for sure.

Astounding. Perfect on every level.

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Awesome beer. I was fortunate enough to try this from a friend who brought a couple cans home with him to NJ. It's definitely one of my favorites.

4.54/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a a hazed golden yellow with a white head nice retention/lacing,smell was floral and tropical but not overly so,taste fantastic array of citrus,floral,tropical taste with just a kiss of sweet malts -superb,mouth feel was medium carbonation with very little bitterness, supreme 2ipa here easy to drink with a great hop profile ABV well hidden

4.35/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Heady is my favorite IPA so far, although IPA is not my favorite style. For me, an IPA needs to have something to set it apart, as a lot of hoppy beers taste the same to me. Heady has a really nice pine scent and taste that I have not seen duplicated elsewhere. It really just tastes like Vermont; you can almost imagine that there are pine needles floating in the beer. However, I wouldn't go to the lengths that some people do to get it, especially since there's a VERY limited window where Heady is at its peak freshness.

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

G_d bless the alchemist.
Appears as a golden haze with a foamy white head.
Dank hops on the nose upon opening the can.
Taste of sweet malt and dank hops. No funky yeast. Yeah.
Heavy mouthfeel. Overall, bring it baby.

3.04/5  rDev -35.7%

I do not think this is the best in the world at all, unless you like your DIPA very sweet.
Don't see what the hype is all about. I have drank better IPAs for less money!!!

All the hype is annoying, but unlike most highly hyped things, Heady Topper deserves every bit of the praise. Excellent DIPA, sets the bar high.

4.1/5  rDev -13.3%

OVERRATED!!! Not even in my top 10 IPA's.

4.77/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very enjoyable. Great hop flavor and aroma.

4.84/5  rDev +2.3%

Almost all 5's across the board. Bright, juicy hop flavor. If I could get my hands on this one all the time it would be in my fridge for sure. Do I think it deserves the #1 spot? Probably not... But it's for sure up there with some of the best of the style I have had (perhaps top 3 or so). Very tasty beer, well made.

Almost untouchable in every facet.
My rating is based off a can 10 mins off the delivery truck.

Four pack from a trade. Amazingly balanced, neck and neck with Keene Idea and Pliny as my fav IPA...

4.87/5  rDev +3%

Great floral taste and smell. Beautiful bitter, hoppy-ness without being overpowering. Extremely smooth.

4.24/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Three week old can and poured into a long stemmed tulip glass.

L: A little muddy/dirty with light orange hue; Doesn't have the appearance a super clean beer, but displays a nice frothy white head.

S: Perhaps this beer's best attribute! Tons of hops, as expected. Mango and tropical fruits up front that are balanced well with a underlying pine/grass hop characteristic. As the beer sits, that foresty characteristic starts to stand out a bit more.

T: My initial impression is well balanced, even with hop bitterness punch at the backend. I would say the malt body is light, but hop flavor is definitely the main focal point...as it should be with a beer like this. As far as the flavor, the backbone is tons of grass and pine. A little funny, since the smell painted a slightly different picture.

F: Another outstanding characteristic. I like how light this beer drinks, even though it's 8% ABV. Medium to light body with the carbonation to match it. Finish is dry, but not to the point of were it deters from the overall experience.

O: Tough, I'm going into this beer expecting my mind blown due to it's high rating. I've been around long enough to know that beers are usually overhyped to some extent, but again that shouldn't take away from the beers overall quality. A couple of friends, who have a much better palate than mine, have described this beer's status in somewhat the same manner. If I were to compare this to another behemoth, like PTE, it definitely stands up. Also, I wouldn't necessarily classify this as an east coast DIPA, as others have described. World Class? Perhaps. In my opinion, one of the better DIPA I've had the pleasure of trying. Cheers!

Heady Topper from The Alchemist