Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 1,944 | Hads: 10,942

Not sure of some the the recent low 4 ratings, almost like there is a pushback against being the "cool kid" for too long. Unless some were given a random can not kept cold for the trip to whatever state they came across one in. Nonetheless this beer is truly amazing. And all the beers I've been lucky enough to have in say the top 20 on this board, it really is like splitting hairs of subjectivity. This is a big beer that can really showcase a dipa to people who think they don't like them. Extremely drinkable. Clean. Fresh. Personally I enjoy it better out of can as directed. But have had multiple times and poured in a glass as well to get a look and release a wonderful bouqet. Many master reviewers here have already described it so well in great detail. All I can say is "agreed!" I suspect the ones that demerit it have some sort of ulterior motive in trying to unseat the multi-year King. Oh well. Doesn't change the experience. And I'm sure the alchemist crew could care less what the rating is. They know they are doing a truly wonderful job. It is a bit of a circus obtaining at times, but hey, adds to the thrill of the chase. Ps. Focal banger is every bit as good. (1,187 characters)

Let's start off by saying that I am not an IPA fan or a Double IPA fan. This beer however, changed my view of this particular style of beer. The first thing you notice is the fresh citrusy smell of the hops followed by the smell of pine. The beer starts off with a very hop forward taste and finishes with the customary hoppy IPA finish. I must say that this beer is unbelievably drinkable and is overall pleasing to the palate. A pleasant surprise since beers with this high of an IBU tend to be overly bitter and very hard to drink. Finally a beer worthy of its ranking. (572 characters)

Taste of the beer one of the best IPA on the market
The smooth strong first sip to the last sip is just awesome with the hop scale of the charts this beer has a bit of apricot or lemon taste near the end but damn good the feel of the beer is heavy on the mouth but has a odd clean taste that makes me want to come back look of the beer is on the lighter side but noticed some cans are darker then others but normally on the light almost amber side smell of it is fresh with hints of lemon all around A+ beer if you have the chance I higly recommend this one (559 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured it into a glass, color wise pretty lack luster. Definitely a unique style of IPA I hadn't really had before. Sort of a cross between classic hoppy, bitter west cost and malt forward east coast styles. Great aroma, very balanced bitterness but for me - didn't quite live up to the incredible hype. Delicious beer, absolutely but left me wanting a little more. (365 characters)

4.46/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into a glass! Screw following the can, I need to see the beer.

Look: Light hazy mellow yellow, frothy white head and a small amount of lacing. (To style, the look is off.)

Smell: Juicy and full of lemon and citrus rind as well as some sweet sugary malt smells.

Taste: Delicious! This floral and full of hop juiciness. Very light malt sweetness and no apparent alcohol. This is where the beer shines. Unfortunately it doesnt actually fit the style its suppose to be and I'll argue anyone who says this should be called a DIPA. hence why its getting points docked in overall and not taste, because its still delicious.

Feel is extremely light bodied and finishes with naught but a light lemon peel bitterness.

Overall: This is hardly a double IPA but it IS a delicious hoppy ale. (790 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +0.4%

First time with Heady. Have to say that the stand out part of it is the smoothness. I've had other IPA's with more flavor, other's with more happiness, but never any so smooth that goes down that easy. Truly a great IPA. (220 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Can. Excellent ALE. Full bodied with an excellent taste. Smooth going down and a good smell. Yes this is worth all the hype. Can only purchase in VT and you are very limited. I had a friend give me 1 can. (204 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I followed the can's directions so not sure how it looks but everything else is brilliant! A pure champion. Might have to take a road trip just to get some more. I'm hoping the name is a nod to Topper Headon! (208 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'm not sure how old the can I drank was at time of consumption. I gave "smell" a 4.25 however I have to believe a beer this big has a big aroma when fresh. With that said, please take the 4.25 aroma as suspect. Taste and Feel live up to the hype for sure! (259 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I can see how people think of this as a trophy brew. It's very good,huge citrus smack. Like drinking a glass (yep,didn't read the instructions) of grapefruit juice. Had a slight,bitter (lemon) aftertaste. Overall,a wonderful brew. (230 characters)

4.58/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Purchased in Montpelier, VT on 7/20 (the same day that it came off the delivery truck) and consumed with notes taken the following day. In other words, this baby was fresh.

This rating comprises notes from two cans - one poured into a tulip and the second consumed directly from the can.

Appearance is a hazy light orange color with plenty of floaties. The nose has dank notes but the real feature is the overwhelming grapefruit that comes through (especially when kept in the can). The flavor is dominated by wave after wave of hoppy goodness. The body is a bit thinner than I expected but seems to complement this beer as is.

The array of hop flavors seems to grow more potent as this offering warms.

All-in-all, a fabulous drinking experience but not quite the greatest beer every brewed. In parting I will echo the suggestion of the brewer: "Drink from the can!" (875 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%

One of the few Double IPA'S that deserves the hype it gets and definitely the one that set the bar. Yes, there is Treehouse and Hillfarmstead but heady in my opinion paved the way for other great New England Ipa's. (214 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm going to go similar to Blackboard on this review...

Every time I drink heady, I want it to meet the hype that surrounds it. Most recently I drank it 3 days after canning, and as good as it was, it was still not mind blowing. Don't get me wrong, its a great DIPA in every sense, but there is some heavy competition especially in it's neck of the woods.

Super unfiltered and cloudy/hazy orange in appearance. Super piney and bitter. The IBUs labeled don't match the flavor profile. If Heady is present, I'll never turn one down, but I won't put myself through hell to get a can. A great DIPA, but not the best in the world. (627 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

I don't throw around high scores on beers but this one totally deserves it. This does not taste like any other Double IPA I have tried before. Even with its 100 IBUs, the first thnig that washs over your palate is not 'bitter' but 'fresh'. Like drinking a newly mown lawn fresh. And smooth. It's hard to describe. The only knock is on the look which is pale and slightly cloudy but maybe that's why they encourage drinking from the can :-). Drove 900 miles from Virginia and waited in line for 90 minutes at Winooski Beverage to get my hands on a case to bring back to share with friends. (589 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is one of those beers that I've had on multiple occasions at multiple different freshness dates. It's fantastic don't get me wrong, but I've never had a can (even one that was canned less than 5 days old) where I was absolutely dumbfounded how good it is.

Look: That typical Vermont hazy orange-ish yellow hue with a good amount of sediment, yep I am a Douchebag and poured it into a glass, I had to see what I was drinking right?

Smell: This is where I was perplexed. Big peachy citric pine notes, with a overwhelming amount of bitterness lingering in the background. Almost smells too piney. I get a big herbaceous and floral character as well. Detractor to the initial peach-like tropical notes.

Taste: More like the nose, but damn is this beer dry and long lastingly bitter. I had to look up the IBU's, seriously 75 that's all? Feels like 100+. There is also something to be said for the fact that I can taste this Vermont like yeast character that I get in this and a lot of Hill Farmstead brews, kinda drives the malt forward, especially in the older cans I've had.

Feel: Okay, this is where it wins me. Mid to full on the palate, but dissipates quickly enough to keep me coming back for another sip. Creamy per se?

Overall: An awesome double IPA. But I'm not sure it ever warranted #1 in the world. Still awesome stuff that I like to have every now and then, but I never go out of my way to trade for it because there are much better local IPA/DIPA in the midwest here. (1,488 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%

Well, here it goes. The number 1 (now 2) beer in the world. Pours a gorgeous hazy orange. Smells of citrus, pine and hoppy goodness. Tastes follows through. Awesome creamy mouthfeel. I can definitely see why this is the top beer. It's amazing, if just a hair under focal banger, due to a bit too much bitterness on the backend for my taste (but I'm just splitting hairs). Amazing stuff! (386 characters)

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I never get tired of drinking this. Drinking this against most other popular IPA's and Double IPA's will make them taste too harsh or malty or grassy. (151 characters)

Oh, What a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz. Special beer, from a special place. Truly not much more needs to be said. Drink it from the can and drink it in Vermont. (173 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was extremely lucky to be given a can recently. This is definitely an excellent DIPA and the best I've ever had. I drank half from the can as it recommends and half from an IPA glass. Honestly it was better from the glass but to each their own.

Look: Hazy amber color

Smell: Strong citrus / grapefruit pronounced. Slightly floral

Taste: Very hoppy, bitter, citrus upfront giving way to a smooth taste with a bite of bitter at the end

Feel: Perfectly carbonated

Overall: It was an easy to drink DIPA. Well-balanced and nicely hopped. While my expectations are usually too high, this was a definite exception. Heady-Topper is the real deal. (646 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank most from the can but the appearance from what I did pour in the glass was beautiful. So smooth with tons of Tropical fruit upfront, balanced resin finish. In the top 10 for sure. (185 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Not the best IPA I've ever had, but it's something every beer fanatic should try. It revolutionized the beer game and for that I am thankful. An excellent beer (159 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I feel like trying this beer is a craft beer lovers rite of passage and I was finally able to cross this one odd my list. I really enjoyed it and found it to be extremely drinkable and not overly hoppy for a DIPA. At the same time I can't say it was the cathartic experience I was hoping for, but rather just a very good beer. Will habe again if given the opportunity, but this will probably be my last time hunting it down (423 characters)

It is the best beer I have tasted. It has a very smooth inviting aroma, great body, and what I personally like best, a great after taste. It literally lingers in my mouth for a couple hours after I finished the beer. (216 characters)

4.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I had this brew for the first time the other night. I work at a homebrew supply shop in Southern PA and a customer was kind enough to get some cans for us. It is a fantastic brew, but certainly not the best I've had -- but it's all subjective! I compare this to Lawson's Sip of Sunshine, and I have to say that Lawson's beer wins this one for me. Nevertheless, if you get a chance the try this beer, do it! You certainly won't regret it. (437 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Just an all around show stopping beer. Lots of tropical fruit that comes in wave after delicious wave with a touch of a lemon grass in there. Bitterness not overwhelming, but a nice balance . A truly great beer. (211 characters)

Heady Topper from The Alchemist