Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Ratings: 10,772 | Reviews: 2,151
4.35/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Heady is my favorite IPA so far, although IPA is not my favorite style. For me, an IPA needs to have something to set it apart, as a lot of hoppy beers taste the same to me. Heady has a really nice pine scent and taste that I have not seen duplicated elsewhere. It really just tastes like Vermont; you can almost imagine that there are pine needles floating in the beer. However, I wouldn't go to the lengths that some people do to get it, especially since there's a VERY limited window where Heady is at its peak freshness.

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

G_d bless the alchemist.
Appears as a golden haze with a foamy white head.
Dank hops on the nose upon opening the can.
Taste of sweet malt and dank hops. No funky yeast. Yeah.
Heavy mouthfeel. Overall, bring it baby.

3.04/5  rDev -35.7%

I do not think this is the best in the world at all, unless you like your DIPA very sweet.
Don't see what the hype is all about. I have drank better IPAs for less money!!!

All the hype is annoying, but unlike most highly hyped things, Heady Topper deserves every bit of the praise. Excellent DIPA, sets the bar high.

4.1/5  rDev -13.3%

OVERRATED!!! Not even in my top 10 IPA's.

4.77/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very enjoyable. Great hop flavor and aroma.

4.84/5  rDev +2.3%

Almost all 5's across the board. Bright, juicy hop flavor. If I could get my hands on this one all the time it would be in my fridge for sure. Do I think it deserves the #1 spot? Probably not... But it's for sure up there with some of the best of the style I have had (perhaps top 3 or so). Very tasty beer, well made.

Almost untouchable in every facet.
My rating is based off a can 10 mins off the delivery truck.

Four pack from a trade. Amazingly balanced, neck and neck with Keene Idea and Pliny as my fav IPA...

4.87/5  rDev +3%

Great floral taste and smell. Beautiful bitter, hoppy-ness without being overpowering. Extremely smooth.

4.24/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Three week old can and poured into a long stemmed tulip glass.

L: A little muddy/dirty with light orange hue; Doesn't have the appearance a super clean beer, but displays a nice frothy white head.

S: Perhaps this beer's best attribute! Tons of hops, as expected. Mango and tropical fruits up front that are balanced well with a underlying pine/grass hop characteristic. As the beer sits, that foresty characteristic starts to stand out a bit more.

T: My initial impression is well balanced, even with hop bitterness punch at the backend. I would say the malt body is light, but hop flavor is definitely the main focal point...as it should be with a beer like this. As far as the flavor, the backbone is tons of grass and pine. A little funny, since the smell painted a slightly different picture.

F: Another outstanding characteristic. I like how light this beer drinks, even though it's 8% ABV. Medium to light body with the carbonation to match it. Finish is dry, but not to the point of were it deters from the overall experience.

O: Tough, I'm going into this beer expecting my mind blown due to it's high rating. I've been around long enough to know that beers are usually overhyped to some extent, but again that shouldn't take away from the beers overall quality. A couple of friends, who have a much better palate than mine, have described this beer's status in somewhat the same manner. If I were to compare this to another behemoth, like PTE, it definitely stands up. Also, I wouldn't necessarily classify this as an east coast DIPA, as others have described. World Class? Perhaps. In my opinion, one of the better DIPA I've had the pleasure of trying. Cheers!

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Good as always. Worth the effort

4.94/5  rDev +4.4%

I couldn't score the look a 5. It's in a can.

4.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A blast of flavor. Great hop forward taste. Lived up to hype

3.93/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Decent beer. I'm on the westcoast and know PtE and HT to hand for hand but after finally trying it'll be trading identical beers. HT has more floral on the nose than PtE's nutty aroma. HT was more Hoppy than PtE IMO but not more harsh on the swallow. Overall I like PtE slightly better

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

As soon as I poured it, the aroma was intense. Hops, some tropical notes, some pine. Nice mouthfeel and intense flavor. Happy to say it lived up to my high expectations.

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%

This beer is absolutely delicious, and the smell is unreal. Very difficult to acquire but isn't too expensive if you can find it, and well worth the attempt if you find yourself in the area!

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours opaque in its cloudiness. Bright amber with a small head. The smell will punch you in the face will hops. You KNOW it's a good beer when you open the can and the aroma begins to fill the room. The taste is absurdly hoppy. It's literal hop juice. So many levels at once: juicy, bitter, piney, grassy, dank. It's all there. This is a raw and unabated DIPA. A once in a lifetime experience for folks outside of New England. Try it and you will understand its love. Good luck topping the Topper.

4.26/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - hazy golden liquid with white head

Smell - tangerine, grapefruit, mango, pine

Taste - much like the nose - orange/tangerine, grapefruit, mango, pine

Mouthfeel - full bodied, higher level of carbonation, hop bitterness hits first and then the citrus sweetness follows that bitterness, flavors linger a good deal, this may be the best aspect of the beer

Overall - very good beer, not sure if it is head and shoulders above more readily available DIPA's, but certainly worth trying for lovers of the style

4.96/5  rDev +4.9%

Had this beer at a restaurant in Stowe, VT on a recommendation from the server. Thought it was one of the best IPA's I had ever tasted. The hop flavor hits you in waves as you drink the beer, very flavorful.

4.44/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Really great ipa very well rounded with a unique finish that disappears of the ol taste buds

4.89/5  rDev +3.4%

So flavorful it satisfied a hop head llike me. So well rounded and balanced it's pleasing to a weakling like my wife.

4.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: Can't get much better than an unfiltered, filthy looking IPA.

S: Hops, pine, slight citrus fruit and more hops. Distinctly different from a west coast IPA.

T: Everything you want from a VT IPA, nothing more nothing less. Paved the way for the rest of VTs finest.

F: Smooth, frothy hops all up in your mouth. Nice thickness to it.

O: Why I even bothered writing a review... no idea. You already know what to expect.

4.91/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

incredible smell with an even better taste

4.07/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A friend brought back two cans from Vermont a couple weeks ago. Drank some from the can and it wasn't doing it for me. Poured the rest in the glass. Nice hazy amber. Aroma and mouthfeel were nicer from a glass. Very drinkable. Not one of those beers that I say, "Whoa! Now that's good." After drinking, I came to believe that these reviews may be somewhat skewed by the beer's high alcohol content. I liked it better at the end when I was buzzed.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist