2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Ratings: 6,218 | Reviews: 1,469 | Show All Ratings:
alexgash

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

16 oz. can. Canned 2 weeks ago.

Partly cloudy, Bright orange gold body. Thick, whipped, fat finger of rocky, dense, light beige head. Great head retention and lacing. Ridiculous hop nose with tons of fresh mangoes, pineapple, kiwi, mandarin orange, grapefruit, pine sap, and even a little resinous funk. Still, the tropical fruit hop aromas dominate and mix nicely with some candyish malt aromas. Heavenly.

Bitterish hops and toasted malt up front quickly give way to huge tropical fruit hop flavors. Fresh, juicy, luscious mangoes, pineapple, and mandarin orange. Resinous, slightly sappy, oily hop flavors hideout underneath and show up toward the finish. Sweetish, honeyish, fruity malt blends in nicely with the fresh hop wonder wall. Dries out in the finish with lots of lingering tropical fruit hop flavors. Moderately bitter, but mostly just flavorful. Medium-full body with a thickish, chewy feel. Half a case in, and whether straight from the can or poured into a glass this beer just keeps wowing me. World class.

11-14-2011 11:24:22 | More by alexgash
modernartblues

4.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Reviewed From Notes, Poured into a Tulip on 11/12/11

A: deep orange, hazy with a half inch head that recedes to a mere wisp, score was initially a 3.5, but the second pour from the can produce some hop particles in the beer than made my smile grow even larger

N: like a fresh packet of hops, beautiful, pine, pineapple, mango, georgeousness, one of the best noses ever...right up their with Hopslam and Pliney in this category

T: not quite as instantly impressive as the nose, but has a subtle complexness that grows on each sip, plenty of pine and citrus, bitterness isn't initially apparent, but also builds....

M: medium full for the style, adequate carbonation

O: excellent, doesn't displace Hopslam as the king in my personal hierarchy, but uniformly delicious and obviously elite....seems to be more typical of the NE DIPAs (closer relative to Gandhi-Bot and BIG A than the CA or Midwest versions of the style)...New England is an under-rated producer of delicious hoppy brews and The Heady Topper is Exhibit A

Other Notes: I wasn't a D-bag and did recycle the can. But, I did not drink it straight from the can, call me a traditionalist.

Huge thanks to Matt for the cans. You are truly a beautiful human being.

11-14-2011 03:37:51 | More by modernartblues
fsvan

Tennessee

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

16 oz can, part poured into tulip, part sampled from the can as suggested. Thanks to Titosupertramp for this one.

A- Murky, dark orange with unfiltered yeast. Bright in the light, but the murkiness dulls the color. A 6 oz or so pour gives 2-3 fingers of white head.

S- Very dank hops punch you in the nose. Mango fruitiness upfront with a good amount of pine that fades into the mango seamlessly to make it almost a spicy mango. Really wonderful, with nothing about it to knock.

T- Taste starts off in line with the nose, with fruity hops. Finishes with a punishing pine bitterness. As expected, the hops take center stage, pushing any malt notes deep in the background.

M- Pretty heavy with a big thick hop bite throughout.

O- I gave this 4.5 across the board. Smell could be a bit higher, but I wasn't willing to give it a 5, taste could be slightly lower, but not a 4. This is a damn, damn good beer.

11-13-2011 23:08:04 | More by fsvan
hoptualBrew

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks to gtreid for sendin me home after our tasting with a can of this! Pours a clear honey orange color first followed by all the yeast towards the bottom of the can. The floaties are everywhere! Looks like a gelatin almost. Smells like a tropical Christmas tree - big pine sap, pineapple, mango, and sweet malts. Hop bomb from the get go, but not so bitter, just really delicious citrus hop characters. Not incredibly complex, but just brewed to near perfection. This has to be my favorite DIPA next to Pliny the Elder. If you haven't had it, you've got to get some.

11-13-2011 02:12:33 | More by hoptualBrew
onefmatt

4.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A+ in my book, just a fantastic and well rounded beer.

A: Dark gold/copper almost zero head but what little there is, is white.

S: amazing, pine notes exude, floral hop notes there as well. They almost mask any malt aroma in the beer but what comes through is a biscuity malt aroma.

T: seems like mostly two row in typical APA. I'd say some Munich malt maybe as the taste is all about the hops, if there is some caramel I'd be surprised. But the hop explosion, wow. Blends well with the nose and finishes bitter, but on the right side of the balance. The full body malts mix very well with these pine flavors, just the right amount of grapefruit coming through as well.

M: almost viscous for an ale. Creamy feel and again, blends well with the taste and nose. Makes you want to sip it which is great as the taste profile changes as it warms.

O: a fantastic beer

11-12-2011 06:06:44 | More by onefmatt
NHcraftbeer

New Hampshire

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%

Longtime reader first time reviewer, not that I need to. The jury is already in on this beer. As a die hard IPA/DIPA chasing the latest and greatest available to me I just have to say this beer is a double edge sword. This IPA is so fantastic, that if it is not readily available to you and you are a diehard hophead I and others I know would nearly recommend not trying this beer and especially if you do not have more than a couple in your possesion. This beer has nearly ruined many other IPAs and DIPAs for me, I still enjoy them, but this has clearly set the standard. Also, I truly agree, do drink from the can, it is better than in a glass. I look forward to my first from a tap though. Warning over, onto my brief review. This beer bursts with grapefruit, citrus, lemon? white fruit and some very clean pine. Just amazing flavors that seem to change as you go through the can. The malt backbone is right where Ilike it in a beer of this strength. Its subtle but full arriving just before the fruit of the hops set in and leaves just in time for the bitterness to take over and make you want more. I try to limit myself to one of these per session so that it remains so special. As a last note, I do not know what hops are in this beer but I think columbus and cascade are here, for all I know there are many more.

11-11-2011 04:39:32 | More by NHcraftbeer
tubbnik

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

16oz can thanks to youbrewidrink.

3/4 of the can into a Duvel tulip. 1/4 from the can. I actually liked that there was a significant change in the beer's profile glass vs can. Both treatments were very nice.

I can't believe it's been over two years since the last time I got to drink Heady. This can was a long time coming. Pours a brilliant golden orange with a mad amount of hop floaties (the only part of the beer I wasn't thrilled with). Aroma is out of this world. My favorite kind of red grapefruit juice and tropical fruit candy. Flavor matches the nose in a pretty straight forward but completely complementing way. It's a whole mouth filling fruit forward hop flavor that I really dug. The slightly viscosity of the liquid was very nice in the mouth and carried the flavor well. Overall I'm just thrilled. Good show.

11-11-2011 02:01:13 | More by tubbnik
titosupertramp

Tennessee

4.47/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks goes to nathanjohnson for the chance to try this beer.

A: I'm drinking this from the can as recommended, but I did drink one last night from my Duvel tulip. Hazy orange in color with lots of floaties from the dry hopping, I guess. Finger or two of white head. Decent amount of lacing and fairly thick film.

S: Big hop smell as you'd expect. Weird to say, but this just smells bitter and juicy at the same time. I get mostly grapefruit and orange citrus with lots of pine and some tropical smells that I have trouble picking apart. Despite all of the hops, the malts are still present..caramel or crystal..maybe both. I don't know. Good stuff either way.

T: Heady Topper is awfully bitter, but the malts do an admirable job of balancing things out and reigning in the hops. Citrus, pine and tropical flavors are all here and enjoyable...pine seems to win out towards the end leaving a resinous aftertaste. Also, when the beer warms, there's a peach like flavor that I like a lot.

M: Can a beer be both creamy and chewy? That doesn't make sense to me, but this seems to have both qualities. Bitter and sticky.

O: I'll be perfectly honest, when I first drank this last night, I was a little let down. Not that I thought it was a bad beer by any means, but it just didn't wow me the way I thought it would. With that said, I'm really liking it tonight.

I'm not sure if drinking it from the can really makes that big of difference or maybe I was just suffering from seasonal depression last night. At any rate, this is a top notch IPA that's certainly worth seeking out and that I'm glad I got the chance to try. Thanks again Nate.

11-11-2011 00:38:27 | More by titosupertramp
Doodler

Colorado

4.65/5  rDev -1.7%

Can from Dr Greg - grazie amigo! Shared with buds. Poured a cloudy orange with a decent white head Nose is lemon / grapefruit citrusy and huge on the hops. Taste is slippery sweet and well integrated among the hop resins and citrus / fruit flavors. Finished off with a nice bitterness and soft bite. The lasting finish is well balanced. Loved this one.

11-10-2011 06:45:12 | More by Doodler
mltobin

4.43/5  rDev -6.3%

Notes from several weeks ago, fresh can.

Tall boy can poured into a wine glass. Appearance is orange, honey with a good sized head. Its` nose has resin, pine, grapefruit and hops. The smell is most certainly an inviting one. Upon sipping this, I taste more of the pine and resin, citrus aspects are still there, along with a good amount of hops. The hops are well balanced and it finishes with a fair amount of bitterness. With everything in mind, this is a great drinking DIPA and gets accolades with reason.

11-10-2011 02:51:15 | More by mltobin
timtim

District of Columbia

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

woah. orange-amber with a slight haze. off-white head with good retention and pretty lace. nose is grapefruit, orange, blood-orange, pineapple, mango, papaya, passionfrut, piney tropicalness harmonized near-perfectly with a caramel graininess that simply rocks. taste is all of the above with the perfect amount of bitter/dry to balance. this is as heady as it comes. yes, I said heady. bitter in the finish with pine singing, but tropical fruitiness lingering. all good things about hops are here amplified by all good things about malty harmony. thick, yet light and fluffy. fanf'ingtastic. thanks al. and alchemist.

11-10-2011 02:44:44 | More by timtim
Paincane

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Orange colored pour into snifter with off white head leaving moderate lacing.
S: Tremendous nose with citrus, floral and hop aromas dominating.
T: Grapefruit flavors hit the palate first and malt backbone with a hoppy clean crisp dry finish.
M: Medium flavored with active carbonation. chewy with significant sediment including hop resins that were simply remarkable.
O: Unbelievably drinkable beer that was an experience, not simply a beer. I truly enjoyed Heady Topper.

11-10-2011 01:52:59 | More by Paincane
fear025

4.8/5  rDev +1.5%

Aroma:Sweet orange and grapefruit, peaches, cotton candy. Smells delightful.

Appearance:I'm drinking it from the can, so it looks great.

Taste:The foretaste is nicely hoppy with grapefruit, and peaches. It's pretty sweet, which holds up well to the hoppyness. The fruit and hop flavors fade slowly, until there is a nice nuttyness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:Medium body, good carbonation. Feels a little sticky as I drink it.

Overall:This is one of the best DIPAs that I have had. It has a great complexity of delicious flavors.

11-10-2011 01:25:45 | More by fear025
aorloski

4.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Despite the declaration on the can to "drink from it" i did half in the can and half in a tulip

Appearance - Good thing i poured half of this to see the beautiful DIPA this thing is, perfectly carbonated, great golden orange/light amber hue, a quintessential DIPA verging on the side of perfect

Smell - Oh good lord, as soon as you crack this one you are assaulted pleasantly with big citrus characters. Grapefruit, Mango and Papaya dominate the nose, more tropical juiciness than typical west coast profiled IPAs but it is different and amazing. Again, i dont get it as much by sniffing right from the can so i am glad i did some of this review out of a glass.

Taste - 5 on the nose, 5 on the taste. Just epic stuff, deserving of the hype. Different than all other DIPA's I've drank in that it is a very tropical juicy flavor profile. The tropicalness is right up front, juicy in the middle and ends with a dry and perfectly bitter/malty finish. You cannot taste 8 percent in this at all. This beer made me so happy to drink. I must admit honestly though that i DID like it more out of the can, it could be totally psychological but hey, whatever this beer was just absolutely incredible in the can and in the glass.

Mouthfeel - Rich, chewy and perfectly carbonated. Coats the mouth with a delicious taste.

Overall - I am not lying when i say this is probably the best DIPA /IPA i have ever drank, it deserves the hype and i think its a great experience to beer geeks a like to test their palate in and out of the can. I can't wait for this beer to be distributed. The east coasts Pliny that i can see in the future giving it a run for its money.

11-10-2011 00:23:33 | More by aorloski
jamescain

4.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a can to a sniffer.

Appearance: Clear light orange with yellow hues and a thin white head about a centimeter thick that lingers until the end.

Aroma: My nose was just assaulted by hops. Citrus, peach, pineapple, papaya, mango and pine.

Taste: Bitterness up front, but surprisingly little lingering bitterness, just enough to keep you wanting more. Flavors of grapefruit, peach, pine, citrus, with a light caramel flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body with medium carbonation and a dry clean finish.

Overall: Amazing beer, definitely world class.

11-09-2011 20:30:29 | More by jamescain
JChristopher

Vermont

4.65/5  rDev -1.7%

Oh, a beer amongst beers! The Alchemist has done a great justice to the world with the Heady Topper. I've rarely seen a better looking DIPA, smelled a finer flower, nor tasted anything as hoppy and honeyed. I'm not sure what kind of black magic this brewery dabbles in, but this beer is a incantatory balance of hop and malt. It's sweet (but just right), it's hoppy and piney, resin-y, and brilliantly citrus-y. If I ever have an imperial IPA better than this, I might just call it the best I could ever have. I'm serious.

11-09-2011 06:40:41 | More by JChristopher
nmbr0ne

4.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from 16oz can into an Alchemist pint glass.

Appearance: Beautiful orange body with a two-finger-thick, white head. The lacing on the beer is great. A lot sticks to the glass and there's plenty of it on the top of the beer.

Smell: Hops hit you over the head. In a good way. No, a great way. Citrusy, flloral, and fruity hops are plentiful. You can smell grapefruit easily, followed by mango and papaya. I sense honey and caramel-like notes also. Great aroma, even right from the can.

Taste: Hoppy throughout. There is a slight sweetness at the beginning of the flavor that stretches out into a great hop fest. There is a very, very subtle bitterness in the finish that doesn't linger at all which is exactly what I look for in a DIPA.

Mouthfeel: Smooth. Drinkability. Tomabilidad. Whatever you want to call it because you can easily down this beer. I'm pacing myself only because I want to enjoy the only can I have. It's fresh, crisp, and light to slightly medium-bodied. When I went to the brewpub in Vermont this past summer, my friends and I easily downed three or four of these.

Overall: My favorite beer I've ever had. It's the perfect beer. I wish I had started reviewing a few months before so that I could have reviewed the ones I had on tap. Regardless though, this beer is spectacular. The best.

11-09-2011 01:53:11 | More by nmbr0ne
smakawhat

Maryland

4.53/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As per suggestion I tried this out of the can "briefly" and yup, knew it wouldn't work for me. Evaluated by pouring straight down the middle very slowly into a nonic pint glass, letting the head settle, then topping up later. At first about 4 oz was only poured in the nonic pint glass, with the can to be evaluated afterwards.

Nice looking can. As for the beer, really exceptional looking slowly decanting the beer punching it through the center of the glass. Head on the bottom forms the most perfect looking microscopic nitro looking bubbles, with the top filled with creamy off white foam. Body color is textbook almost pale amber with great orange hues. Slightly hazy guessing unfiltered but just enough to see through it. Head retention is massive, you couldn't drive a mac truck through this and it hangs for a long time.

Ripping this open, man the hops just escape. Smelling the can a real dry hop pine sense, and of course my lip hits the bottom and I taste aluminum. However, when pouring about five ounces, the nose brings a giant hop pine which is tolerable and not aggressive. Small malt and tiny sugars, dry hop smelling hops and pine but also a real burnt smelling and sense of smoke. Very unique.

Tasting out of the glass, a surprising turn. Citrus angle hits first of a smooth orange, finish resin pine comes creeping in with a slow calm bitterness. The citrus angle is quite a surprise from the nose. Tasting from the can the beer is more prickly and carbonated, but nowhere as good or enjoyable. Even a second whiff brings... nothing from the can. Aftertaste just lingers on and on and on. Feel is almost creamy matching the head appearance, lightly carbonated, with a good hint of malt balance. There is also no sense of alcohol booze on this whatsoever.

Overall a great example of the style and real enjoyable, too bad my chances of trying this again are going to be slim in this area. Except when I head to Vermont! May not be my ultimate favorite but it is one dam good beer.

11-09-2011 00:15:29 | More by smakawhat
orbitalr0x

4.58/5  rDev -3.2%

16oz cans, love 'em! First beer I've sampled from The Alchemist. Hazy golden yellow/orange pour with a nice creamy white head on top. Lots of hop sediment so be careful on the pour. Aromas are a blast of deep fruity, tropical hops. Such a wonderful, juicy, resinous hop blend that I could easily sit and inhale all night long. I would advise to drink this hoppy treat as fresh as possible.

First sip brings a rush of bright, pungent hops. Huge fruity, tropical flavors with resinous hop oils all over the place. Sweet crisp malts take their rightful place as it flows down with a bitter hop blast. Love that this is unfiltered and unpasteurized. An amazing fresh hop experience that is incredibly tasty!

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with great carbonation. Medium bodied. This ends up being an extremely drinkable hop monster of a beer. Go ahead and drink this one from the can. Well worth seeking out if you're a hop lover. I'm really happy to have had the opportunity to try this. I have to get to Vermont one day!

11-08-2011 02:36:44 | More by orbitalr0x
orangesol

4.4/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Deuane for giving me one of his cans so I can finally taste the heady. Can poured into a standard pint.

A - Pours slightly hazed amber orange with a small half finger tall white head leaving small wisps of lace down the glass. It does have a little sediment floating around in there.

S - Smells of pungent grassy hops, rich tropical fruits; mostly mango and grapefruit; and some lightly toasted caramel malt. Still quite floral.

T - The taste is fairly similar to the nose. It starts off with a big dose of grassy hops quickly giving way to a mix of tropical fruits and sweet caramel malts. Fairly tropical flavor that is very easy to drink. The finish is a mix of light dryness and hop bitterness, lingering on the pallet for a short period of time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderately low carbonation. Smooth, hoopy, feel with plenty of hop bitterness lingering through the finish.

O - Very nice IPA. I had no problem finishing my glass and I was left wanting more. The balance of juicy fruit and grassy hops to the slightly sweet malt is very nice. I hope to try this one on-tap some day soon.

11-07-2011 05:12:08 | More by orangesol
billab914

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

16 oz can. I had the first few sips from the can and then decided to pour this one into a glass to do get a proper score on appearance. I'll drink any future ones right from the can, I promise.

It poured an orange amber color with a thin but sticky white head barely covering the top of the beer. The head faded a little but left some great lacing as it did.

The aroma is bright and juicy with some notes of peach, pineapple and grapefruit coming out in it. I love the juicy, tropical fruit notes in it. Fantastic hoppy aroma overall.

The taste sows more of the bright, juicy, tropical fruit notes to it up front. Towards the finish some of the bitter, citrus rind and grapefruit flavors start to mix in and linger through the finish. Great range of hoppy flavors to it.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was a fantastic beer, I loved the bright, juicy hoppiness. It had a great range of flavors to it and was very drinkable. Great beer overall.

11-06-2011 21:39:03 | More by billab914
woosterbill

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%

16oz can, consumed therefrom.

A: Beautiful can. Great contrast between the brushed aluminum and the black design. Funny text, too. Perfect appearance.

S: The can doesn't quite amplify the aroma like a tulip would, but what scent wafts through the widemouth is pure hops candy. Tropical fruit, citrus, pine, and angel deodorant.

T: Hoppy heaven, plain and simple. Fresh, juicy, intense, delicious, complexly flavorful hops. Fruit, flowers, resin, and a clean finish. Truly delicious in every way.

M: Smooth, velvety carbonation fills out the clean, medium body. Lovely.

O: What a beer. While not quite as perfect an experience as it was on tap (HT was my first perfect 5 review), this can was still one of the greatest hop celebrations my mouth has ever known. If I lived closer to the cannery, I might not drink anything else. This beer is the real deal.

Cheers!

11-06-2011 15:09:46 | More by woosterbill
pigc

Nebraska

4.38/5  rDev -7.4%

Much thanks to Adam for this can, you rock!

Poured into snifter. Just couldn't drink straight from the can.
---
A - Pours a murky yellowish-orange with one finger head that fades quickly.

S - Pine, citrus, melon, sweet tropical fruits.

T - Starts out with a smooth citrus burst followed by some pine and a slightly drying finish.

M - Medium with oily hops coating the entire mouth and tongue.

O - Very, very solid DIPA. Amazing how smooth yet bitter finish this beer delivers. Right up there with fresh PtE but a bit sweeter.

11-06-2011 01:40:59 | More by pigc
bigaltemple

Colorado

4.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A big thank you to pokesbeerdude for sending this as an extra in his portion of the Willpower LIF.

Not one to take orders from a can, I poured it into a NB globe.

A - A great looking burnt orange color. Big, soapy, off-white head slowly dissipates leaving lots of lacing.

S - Wow! Just a huge blast of hops. Not just typical citrus aroma. You get a little of everything. Just when the grapefruit, pineapple, orange rind, and tropical notes fill your nose, some resinous pine floats up behind.

T/M - Much the same as the nose. Seems to touch all the bases. I did get just an inkling of a malt base, but really wasn't looking for or missing it. Seems to be just enough to not make this a mouth-scraper. Medium to full bodied.

O - Flat out delicious! I definitely look forward to having some more of this.

11-06-2011 00:49:29 | More by bigaltemple
kzoobrew

4.7/5  rDev -0.6%

Huge thanks to mountsnow1010. Cheers!

A careful pour reveals a clear apricot colored body. This beer is definitely unfilter, plenty of sediment and hop resin ready laying on the bottom of the can. A full pour will leave you a cloudy, murky DIPA. Three finger white lacing is set atop. The retention is fairly impressive. As the head recedes, the glass is covered with lacing.

The aroma is straight up hops. Massive citrus and tropical fruits. Tangerine, orange and pineapples. There is an underlying pine aroma which is fairly subtle but provide a bit of balance. There is a touch of malt which is picked up in the nose. Soft pale malt finds itself buried requiring a bit of searching to find. This may be the best smelling DIPA I have had to date.

I am not certain the flavor live up to the aroma, but that should just speak to how amazing the aroma is. the flavor is all about the citrusy, fruity hops. Tangerine, guava, pineapple and a bit of grapefruit. The fruity hop flavors are bright and assertive. A fair amount of pine and pith develop just behind. The bitterness is just high enough to provide a bit of balance and deliver a little bite.

Medium bodied DIPA. The carbonation is on point for the style. Very smooth and soft texture. The finish is rather dry, slight citrusy flavor left lingering on the tongue.

Heady Topper, this one was a long time coming and did not disappoint. Just as good as any DIPA I have ever had, perhaps the most enjoyable beer I have come across. Flavors is bright and clean. Drinkability is off the charts, there is no sign of the 8% ABV. This is one I will seek out on a regular occasion, would be a daily drinker if I lived close enough.

11-05-2011 17:23:40 | More by kzoobrew