1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Ratings: 6,178 | Reviews: 1,467 | Show All Ratings:
Matty123

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What can I say that hasn't been said already? Best beer in the Country? That depends on the drinker. It is easily one of the best beers I have ever had in my life and I smile just thinking about it. Pliny, Lawsons, Hill Farmstead, New England Brewing Co... I've had them all many times and they are all so damned good! I find no point in saying one is "better" than the other.. This beer leaves you feeling like you just ate a fresh grapefruit. It leaves you wanting to crack another. I've had it out the can and out of a Tulip, and its just as good either way! GOD BLESS THE ALCHEMIST!

03-27-2014 18:56:56 | More by Matty123
N_Schleret

4.61/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a cloudy orange/yellow color with a half finger white head that dissipates to a light film, light lacing.
S: Citrus, and floral, not as big on the nose as I was expecting.
T: WOW! This tastes amazing, with grapefruit, orange, pine. Well done.
M: Medium body, light carbonation, sticky, and dry. Perfect.
O: Lived up to the hype, now I know why they have a hard time keeping up with demand. Seek this out!

03-27-2014 01:15:31 | More by N_Schleret
Eurso16

4.7/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

been a member for a while now and visit the site frequently but have never written a review so i figured why not start here, after finally getting my hands on this gem.

like others, i was a skeptic, wondering how much better could this beer really be compared to dirt wolf, hopslam, other top knotch ipas, etc. Well for me, the hype is real. IMO, this is a perfectly crafted, well executed representation of a DIPA. Now that i have began home brewing, i have a new appreciation for what it takes to craft a delicious beer. From the nose right on through to the mouthfeel, this brew is outstanding. sip after sip you continue to taste just the most absolute fresh, juicy, dank, hop flavor. mouthfeel is sticky, medium bodied and almost creamy.

definitely my new favorite beer. well done Alchemist, Well done.

03-27-2014 01:14:26 | More by Eurso16
Chilly444

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%

A long time coming for this review. Two of my great friends brought back 2 cases. I went into this the same way it sounds like a lot of people do. very excited BUT somewhat skeptical. How can everyone agree that this is one of the best beers no matter what your personal preference in style is? Well...just because it is. Luckily my favorite beers are imperial IPA's. The can says Heady Topper, but I almost instantly nick named it 'rolling thunder' for two reasons. 1. Its got a high ABV in a 16 oz serving. 2. because its rolling waves of super deep hop, after hop, after hop. Each wave releases a different flavor that ignites your mouth with an assertive force and refuses to leave after you're done drinking it. It takes about 5-10 minutes for it linger away. My favorite part of this wonder is the very middle. There becomes a blast of grapefruit dryness in the middle that is incredibly apparent. You might say its sweet because its a very bright flavor but its not sweet in any sugary artificial way. I think the moment when the middle grapefruit blast hits is the best because of the waves of pine and floral hops that come on the front, and back ends before you reach that middle peak explosion. It has an awesome body that you can really feel on your palate, and has an aromatic smell that you can not ignore.

SO. that all being said.

A - Awesome. really cool looking (slightly funny) can. I poured a tiny bit out to see what it looked like for real. Musky greenish/deep brownish yellow. Almost completely non-transparent.

S - A piny hoppy blast straight to the dome that is noticeable from the moment you crack the can.

T - Insanely awesome. Rolling waves of hops that include pine, grapefruit, and slight floral notes.

M - A medium body on the heavier side. Lacing up your mouth with goodness.

O - You know you want one...or 10. Its awesome. Do your self a favor and make the trip to buy a case!

03-24-2014 19:00:56 | More by Chilly444
Hamerica

4.53/5  rDev -4.2%

I was expecting a party in my mouth when I had this beer. All I ended up with was just some good beer, no GREAT beer. I think the hype of this beer hurt the chances. I prefer a nice florally west coast IPA over this one note beer.
If you want a nice double ipa, grab a Palette Wrecker or a Southern Tier 2X

03-23-2014 21:48:49 | More by Hamerica
tony11

Quebec (Canada)

Ok so the beer is perfect. I have been drinking it for a while and it never disappoints nor does it become old. the flavors are always fresh tasting and always exciting. the first time I drank it it I poured it into a glass because I thought the "Drink out of the can" was hype. Incredible as the taste out of the glass was, it was otherworldly out of the can. The initial whiff of the hops when you pop it open is Ecstasy. The promise of a great beer to come delivers on your first sip and then the magic happens as each sip brings out different flavors from bitter to sweet back to bitter all in different stages.

I received the new IPA glasses as a gift and drank the Heady Topper from it. Sacrilegious I thought to myself. The glasses do a great job as the initial aroma is less dramatic and more subtle which is not a bad thing. Now I get to admire the color of this golden nectar.

03-23-2014 16:59:08 | More by tony11
RobertHolley

I do not like to "believe the hype" but Heady Topper did not disappoint. Did not drink out of the can. The color when poured in a glass is beautiful. The smell is very unique and the flavor holds true. One of my most important factors in tasting beers is the after taste. Heady just keeps going and going. Fantastic beer.

03-23-2014 15:05:08 | More by RobertHolley
controlfate

4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

Received a 4-pack in a trade. Served chilled in the can, as per the manufactures instructions.

A: I drank it out of the can, so it's hard to assess the appearance.
S: The smell is outstanding, very fruity, citrusy, and piney.
T: The taste follows the aroma with notes of grapefruit, orange, pineapple, pine, and mango. The taste starts out citrusy sweet, with a piney bite that tapers into a smooth fruity finish.
M: A medium bodied mouthfeel that leaves the tongue salivating for more.
O: I have been searching for this beer for a while and it did not disappoint! I will have the next one in a glass to compare the taste. Heady Topper is a must try for any IPA and IIPA fans!

03-21-2014 21:42:20 | More by controlfate
pants678

3.7/5  rDev -21.8%

Yellow/orange body with a fluffy white head.

A honey-like sweetness and very floral.

Bread and not quite grapefruit but still a tangy fruit flavor. Spicy and not quite as sweet as the nose. Not bitter, as advertised, but a little metallic (or maybe alcoholic). I saw it's a combination of six hops, the only one I'm sure of is simcoe. After that, possibly cascade, possibly amarillo.

A softer finish, kind of a sticky beer.

03-21-2014 03:48:40 | More by pants678
Chrisfarleywine

I've been lucky enough to have this a few times and it's consistently one of the best IIPA's I've had. It's not some revelatory flavor that doesn't exist in any other beers, it's the combination of those flavors and how everything is perfectly balanced. It's the Goldilocks soup of beers, just right.

The hop blend is a perfect balance of dank, fruity and floral and the alcohol has a nice drying effect without being overly hot.

I do believe the Conan yeast gives it's a unique fruity character as well.

Vermont is quickly becoming the best beer producing state in the country.

03-18-2014 20:02:37 | More by Chrisfarleywine
BigMurph

4.86/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: pours an orangeish hazy color with a finger high head that leaves great lacing

S: get a huge smell of citrus hops mixed in with some floral hops

T: the taste is like the smell the citrus hops comes through. it's an amazing taste. it has the hop taste without the overwelming bitterness.

M: medium body with a good amount of carbonation

D: this is a very easy drinking beer. it goes down way to easy for its alcohol content = DANGEROUS

Serving type: Poured from can to glass.

03-18-2014 02:29:10 | More by BigMurph
blaje

Quebec (Canada)

4.91/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First of all, and I certainly won't be the first to say this, but I HATE drinking beer in cans. You do not see, you cannot smell correctly and it looks cheap! Anyway, I did obey what the can says and I did drink it out of the can.

Tasted in two serving, first time is out of the can, as prescribed, and second time is poured into a glass. No big difference in smell/taste between the two servings. But at least I could appreciate its golden slightly orange colour. Looks hazy and forming a nice head with some lacing.

N- Immediately at opening, a delightful smell emerged from this can. How this amazing smell comes out of this? Mesmerised, totally impressed! Explosive notes of hops resins, very citrusy, pink grapefruit, tropical fruits upfront with herbal undertones (cannabis). Very floral. WOW

M &T-mouth is extremely pleasant, more dry the expected as from the nose revealed at first. Bitterness is biting strong at the very beginning but not overshooting. Feeling is slick, almost creamy. Tremendous amounts of flavours are released on firsts sip. Explosive taste of hops resins, citrus and tropical fruits, pink grapefruits. Carbonation is moderate/low which is perfect for a DIPA. Perfectly balanced, Highly drinkable.

Overall, a PERFECT DIPA ! Perfectly balanced on all levels. Would enjoy over and over again. A definitely must have for all hophead.
Thanks to the Church Street beverage manager who point this beer out and picked it up for me, because I would have skip this beer while making my choices the last time I was there. Today, I can tell you I would have made a great mistake. I regret that I only had one four-pack!

03-17-2014 01:39:53 | More by blaje
BrewsforBreakfast

4.96/5  rDev +4.9%

I don't know how beer can taste any better than this. I thought there was no way this could live up to the hype. Wrong.

I drank from the can, as instructed.

The smell crushes your nose with all of the citrus fruits. You almost don't think its beer.

The taste is a hop utopia with the perfect amount of bitter. Finishes very clean. Wide-mouth + tall boy can makes the gulps large and satisfying. You don't want the beer to end and it doesn't. The last sip was better than the first. Everything balances. Taste sensations come on in waves.

Mouthfeel is perfect. I don't know how else to describe it. Not thin, not thick. Medium carbonation. Dangerously drinkable.

Completely sober, this gave me a solid buzz but I never tasted the alcohol. There is a reason this beer is so loved. It is joyously good.

03-16-2014 19:48:05 | More by BrewsforBreakfast
WellRested518

4.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- although I drank this gorgeous elixir from the can, I watched as it was carefully poured into a tulip. Perfect orange-salmon haze with a prominent head and steady lacing.

§- straight hops, done right. Citrus and pine are prominent with a light hit of alcohol at the end.

T- once again... large, delicious, beautiful, hopsss. It's not like most double ipa's though. This has real flavor. I can tell that the brewer used his skills meticulously. A nice sweet grapefruit prevails, amongst the likes of pine and pride.

M- by far my favorite thing about this brew. Perfect carbonation leads to a buttery bouquet that clings to the pallet.

O - lives up to it's title.

03-16-2014 18:20:54 | More by WellRested518
ZBR101

4.94/5  rDev +4.4%

A - pours beautiful hazy orange (I've poured it out and drank from that can, as advised). Amazing two finger head with slight lacing around the glass. A real work of art.

S - heavy citrus and floral notes. I got a slight pine cleaner scent.

T - the king of the double IPAs. Perfectly hopped. Was very surprised that it was everything and more than expected.

M - the most quaffable well balanced of the style (I've had)

O - A beer that truly lives up to the hype. Can't really add anything that hasn't been said. Big time beer! Perfect.

03-15-2014 00:59:49 | More by ZBR101
phuntasy

New Hampshire

4.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of the best Double IPAs I've ever tasted.

Hoppy. Clearly. But not too bitter or over powering. You will like this even if your not an IPA/Double IPA fan.

Citrus notes such as orange and grapefruit. Little bit of pine as well.

I enjoy road trips to have you!

03-14-2014 05:05:59 | More by phuntasy
BoardwalkBock

What is there to say about this beer that hasn't already said a million times?

I don't know the appearance because under strict orders from the can, I am gulping this sucker down out of the can. I don't care. Its that amazing. The aroma is explosive. Resin, pine, grapefruit, citrus, anything and everything you can imagine..and can't imagine. Same goes for the flavor. Huge hop explosiveness perfectly balanced by a huge malt backbone. Mouthfeel is absolutely perfect. This beer is so good I just want to ramble on all day about it.

All in all. Best DIPA I've ever had. Lived up to and beyond the hype.

03-11-2014 00:13:59 | More by BoardwalkBock
Qwest_35

Thanks has to go to nedvalton, a most generous BA'er for hooking me up with my first Heady Topper. As soon as I popped the top on that shiny silver and black can I got blasted with the dankest, hoppiest, fruitiest, hop bombiest goodness I have ever experienced. There's just so much going on with the smell, that I am having a hard time nailing it down. Here goes nothing, grapefruit, pineapple, citrus, Bubblegum surf wax, I swear I'm getting that. This stuff smells exactly like I imagined it would after reading so many of the reviews on here, an absolute delight. I poured about half into a tulip glass so that I could get a good look at it. Pours a super hazy and resinous golden orange hue, minimal head and lacing. It smelled amazing in the can, but the complex aroma really opened up once poured, now I'm even more intrigued. My first sip and all I can say is, YES! Worth all the hype, 100 percent! I've had a few other beers that come real close to this, but the mouthfeel and balance along with the juicy aftertaste make this an absolute work of art in a can! With each sip it gets better and better, the bitterness isn't overwhelming at all, and couple that with the citrusy/fruity/floral undertones that coat your tongue, it's easy to forget that theres alcohol in there. Just like it says on the can "so drinkable, it's scary" Overall I can see why this beer is ranked #1, because it just became my #1 as well. Thank you nedvalton, and thank you Alchemist!

03-08-2014 21:30:37 | More by Qwest_35
Maurizio

Good head but quick dissipation, mild lacing. Cloudy and golden in appearance. Nose is mild-moderate in strength, fruity with no hint of dank-type hop aromas. Taste is very smooth, silky mouthfeel, with moderate-strong but not overwhelming hop profile. It's all peach and grapefruit with no dank character at all, more intense and complex as the beer warms. Only a mild suggestion of the heat in the finish. This is a great beer but perhaps not as world-class a beer as Pliny, in my humble opinion.

03-08-2014 15:40:45 | More by Maurizio
bditty187

Nebraska

My can was said to be super fresh… poured into a New Belgium goblet the hazy and yeast debris was quite heavy. Otherwise, tawny-amber in hue with a sticky white head and plenty of subsequent lacing.

The nose was lovely, lots of tropical fruits… mango, pineapple and oranges, citrusy and juicy. Quite lovely and inviting.

The palate didn’t quite delivery the intense hoppiness I would have liked in a DIPA. Big fruit notes follow onto the palate, similar to the nose but with some added pine and a toasty/caramel malt at the finish. Delicious, complex but well-rounded and tasty as hell. Best DIPA on the planet, not IMO. It lacked a strong hop bitterness punch but had ample flavor. A lovely quaff.

Medium in body, modest carbonation… it’s the mouthfeel you’d expect in the style.

Overall, Heady Topper was a great beer and happy as hell I tried it. It won’t go down in my personal Top 10 DIPA. It’s not even an issue of hype because I don’t pay attention to that shit anymore. And excellent beer, tasty as hell and worthy of the praise.

03-08-2014 14:12:59 | More by bditty187
Gfunk

Maine

4.65/5  rDev -1.7%

Heady Topper is by far one of my favorite beers ever sampled. I've had it probably over 20 times, very hard to get, but they always happen to show up at our beer tastings. I'm not a huge fan of the amount of yeast/sediment in the bottom, but if you pour it just right into a pint glass you can avoid most of the sludge. Very hoppy and very flavorful.

03-05-2014 22:46:23 | More by Gfunk
reebtaerG

Maryland

Had drank from can except for a little bit to get appearance

A-Pours hazy orange amber, fluffy white head, sticky lacing clinging around the glass as it dies to the surface.

S-Aroma is concentrated orange, floral honey undertones, passion fruit and mild pulpy grapefruit, fresh pine and touch of toasted malts, citrus peel.

T-Taste is smooth grapefruit and citrus, floral tropical notes, light honey-like sweetness accenting lingering pine notes, soft finish.

M-Mouthfeel has a medium body, incredibly round and well-balanced. Get carbonation.

O-Delicious. If I could get this regularly, I would be buying everything I could! Don’t fear the hype. It is all true.

03-05-2014 13:45:59 | More by reebtaerG
ChrisSegal

Maine

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This is easily the best DIPA or IPA that has ever come across my palette. Not being a fan of particularly hoppy beer, I was hesitant that this would be too much for me. I'm pleased that I gave it the chance it deserved. I've now opened up to these complex and floral offerings. Heady Topper is the gold standard. The pure evergreen-ness of this beer perfectly conveys the woods where it is brewed. Well done Alchemist.

03-05-2014 06:15:01 | More by ChrisSegal
JWU

4.93/5  rDev +4.2%

16oz can. Drank it straight from the can. I did pour just a tiny bit in a small glass to get the appearance.

A- A hazy as heck golden/orange. Big fluffy white head. All sorts of sediment. Strangely beautiful.

S- Simcoe. Lots of it. Big astringency, orange, mango, and

T- Big hype, and it lives up to it. It's PERFECTLY bitter. Not too crushing, but just enough in your face. Orange, mango, some hoppy floral presence as well. A very slight sugary sweetness. It all melds just perfectly. The aftertaste is slightly sweet, and a present, but not overkill bitterness is there as well. Pine mostly on the finish. I could drink this stuff all the time.

M- Slick and creamy. Oily. Carbonation perfectly scrubs the palette.

O- I've had plenty of big hype beers that didn't deliver. Heady delivers. In spades.

03-05-2014 01:28:21 | More by JWU
eshivel1

My first post on BA. While a seasoned IPA drinker, this beer is simply the best. I have recently had FRESH GROWLERS OF firestone union jack, sierra nevvada torpedo, nugget necctar, Hop Stupid, Hop Nosh, etc... it had been 2 months since my last heady topper. Very Lucky to have a friend pick me up 12 of these unreal IPA's . while I like hoppy beers I like balanced IPA's not overly bitter. . This beer is perfect. Drinkability is unreal for an 8% IPA. Flavor is fruity but not overly so, hoppy, but not overly so, simply the best. No contest.

03-04-2014 00:58:10 | More by eshivel1