1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (8) |  Events
Ratings: 6,157 | Reviews: 1,464 | Show All Ratings:
boralyl

4.93/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Pours an inch of white head which has nice retention and leaves tons of lacing. The beer is unfiltered resulting in a hazy brew with a pale orange hue.

S - The aroma is full of floral and piny hops. There is also hints of orange mixed throughout. Really awesome nose.

M - Medium in body with moderate carbonation. Resiny feel and fairly dry.

T - The beer begins with some floral flavored hops followed by a wave of orange. Hints of pine pick up near the finish along with a floral bitterness. I couldn't make out much malt presence, nor detect the alcohol content.

A fantastic DIPA, and it works wonderfully in the can format. I really wish this was easier to obtain, everyone deserves to try this gem.

03-09-2012 05:34:03 | More by boralyl
rlee1390

Indiana

Have had multiple times since then and updating some things

A-Cloudy yellow orange, one finger head and rather carbonated and some lacing is left behind.

S-Citrus and grapefruit, earthy pine and grass. Very resiny

T-Waves of citrus goodness, very earthy with pine and grass. Ends with nice bitterness. What a beer Once again you taste the hop resins.

M-Medium bodied, good carbonation and the resins are simply wonderful..

O-Wow. Not an over powering hop bomb but a balanced hop force. It is a wonderful beer. I would love to be able to have it every day. I had side by side with PtE. Blew PtE out of the water. The best beer I've ever had.

03-07-2012 16:42:44 | More by rlee1390
Phelps

Arizona

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Shared by ejyoung. Poured into a tulip.

Cloudy grapefruit in color. It’s like a sunset, with many varying shades of orange. One finger of fuzzy off-white head becomes a moderately-sized ring that leaves some spatters of lace.

Holy jeebus. This is one of the dankest, grassiest, most resinous noses I’ve encountered. It’s not bright; it’s absolutely FUNKY with hops. Behind the blend of liquified weed and grass blades, I get saltine crackers, a touch of burnt sugar and orange cream. The crackers crumble under the weight of the hops, and I love it.

The resinous character can be read in the flavor, but a little bit is lost in the translation. The dank funk is still there, but the bitterness behind them is huge. Sugar-dusted orange slices and grass mix with sticky alcohol, a little caramel, and perhaps even some mango. It gets better and better as it warms and as the malt sweetness improves. By the bottom of the glass, it’s nearly perfect.

Medium in body with nice creaminess. Carbonation is moderately high and pinching, breaking the beer into just a touch of fizz. Velvety. Though the alcohol’s a little more noticeable than I’d like, the bitterness and malt strike a nice balance.

The hype...is well-deserved. Heady Topper’s one of the dankest, funkiest IPAs I’ve ever put in my mouth. And it comes in a can?! I’m in love.

03-07-2012 04:43:37 | More by Phelps
Lostcarkeys

4.43/5  rDev -6.3%

This is a must try if you fancy yourself a beer drinker... I really was impressed by this beer when I first tried it six or so months ago and I have been buying a few 4 packs a month ever since.

A- DRINK FROM THE CAN (its a golden sunshine yellow if you are curious)

S- Delicious

T- A strong bite of hoppy heady goodness. The sourness grabs the tongue and the bitter flavor resonates in a soft aftertaste that will make you take a second sip. The strong alcohol by volume content seems to fade into the flavor of the beer, but caution to those who drink all 4, you might soon to loose taste of the flavor!

MF- A strong first buzz similar to a 9 volt battery soon fades into a softer aftertaste, not my favorite but the beer's flavor should speak for itself!

Too bad its not everywhere, but for those of us living in VT its a treat. Make your way up to see the factory in Stowe is worth a visit If you can get your hands on some then you will understand!

03-05-2012 04:45:58 | More by Lostcarkeys
johnmichaelsen

4.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of a number of outstanding beers at the Imminent Liquidation tasting. This is a beer I've wanted to try for some time.

Ht pours a peachy amber color with excellent head retention and considerable sticky lacing. The nose on this bad boy is pretty amazing, as I pick up considerable dry citrus, dank earth, light marijuana and light pine. The nose is very, very floral in this one and is dominated by pine aroma. The flavor profile replicates the nose, and I'm impressed by the balance in this beer. While the beer is fairly dry for a DIPA, there's enough sweet malt to keep the impressive bitterness in check. Still, I'm impressed by the light tropical fruit, which quickly gives way to a blast of grapefruit bitterness. In combination, it's quite excellent. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long, prickly, bracingly citrus finish. Alcohol is so well integrated into the flavor profile... it could have been anything from 7% to 10% from what I could tell.

A very, very tasty DIPA... probably the best East Coast DIPA I can recall ever tasting (OK, not counting some of the limited release stuff from Hill Farmstead). Delicious stuff.

03-04-2012 20:51:01 | More by johnmichaelsen
CAPorter

The balance of a unique hoppiness with just enough malt combines with a smooth mouthfeel that seems almost surreal given the style of beer. I usually feel a bit more bite in even the better DIPA's I've had previously.

It deserves the current 100 rating it has, since I can't say I've ever tasted a better version of this style. Read what everybody else has to say while I enjoy this without distraction:)

03-04-2012 01:16:18 | More by CAPorter
demdog8

4.8/5  rDev +1.5%

"Stopped by the Alchemist cannery the other day on a recent trip to VT and sampled some freshly brewed Heady Topper. All I can say is, WOW! By far, one of the best beers that I’ve tried to date, regardless of style, and a sure ‘must-try’ for all who appreciate the finer beers of the world. Hoping that this becomes more available in MA, because as of now, there are only a few places that you can enjoy this ‘world-class’ brew. I’ve yet to try Pliny, but have read that this DIPA rivals it. If you get the opportunity to try this, it’s a must. Kudos Alchemist, looking forward to other offerings in the near future."

03-03-2012 22:25:33 | More by demdog8
Fubar1453

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Poured about 3oz into glass. Murky golden yellow, small head disipates quickly.

S:Lots of hops and citrus. Really mouthwatering.

T: I get a ton of hops mixed with orange, pineapple and grapefruit. So unbelievably drinkable.

M: Not as sticky as most DIPAs, leaves a citrus rather than bitter aftertaste.

O: I was afraid this wasn't going to live up to the hype but it absolutley did, I've never had a DIPA with pineapple characteristics before and it mixed with the other fruits and hops so well. I couldn't be happier with this beer.

03-03-2012 20:05:51 | More by Fubar1453
billybrew21

Connecticut

4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

There isn't much that can be said about this holy elixir that hasn't already been said -- aside from the fact that given the opportunity I'd probably crawl in the can to live out the rest of my years (which are most likely a good number). I get to enjoy this usually every month or so, and simply put: it's the best out there. I've had it 7 days old and 7 months old. Nothing beats it fresh but even after half a year it still tastes incredible. Pour half in a snifter and enjoy half in the can. The smell upon cracking that can will blow you away. Definitely my favorite double IPA out there and probably my favorite overall. It will never get old. The hype is real! If you have a chance to get your hands on this, do so...by any means possible. (well maybe not ANY)

03-02-2012 02:13:56 | More by billybrew21
raveskdr

4.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - This is what Sting was singing about in "Waves of Gold." Beautiful hazy color with slightly less head than I'd want.

S - 2 parts grapefruit, 1 part pine, half part pineapple. Just beautiful.

T - Wonderful combination of pine and tropical fruits in a very hop forward IPA. Malt sticks around in the middle and helps finish this beer in a really fantastic balance.

M - Creamy with a great hop bite. Lingers just long enough

O - One of the best out there. It has a lofty rating for a reason. I have yet to have one of the fabled "off cans", and I'm damn glad.

03-01-2012 01:47:07 | More by raveskdr
JoeBloe

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

I mentioned to a co-worker that I was just in Vermont and found nothing (good) locally other than 'Long Trail' and he hit me with a pint can of Heady Topper - Thanks Will !!! - I poured some into a tulip and left some in the can whilst alternating sips - and before I knew it - it was all gone !! - and i wished I had more - poured hazy and light orange with suspended spherical globules (of the hop resin?) - like a little universe of it's own in my glass - a 1 finger head that dissipated into a slight film reaching out to a 1/4 inch ring - the hops were in the air as soon as i 'pulled the pop-top' - the zing and zest of hops resin was immediate and awesome - just sticky enough with a mildly sweet finish - this beer is amazing for all the right reasons - hype be damned!

02-29-2012 18:33:58 | More by JoeBloe
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.73/5  rDev 0%

16 oz can poured into a snifter. (Yes, I'm disobedient.)
8% ABV, Hard to "drink fresh" with no date. "Don't be a d-bag, recycle this can!"

Big thanks to Rochefort10NH for sending this my way! I knew this beer would be good but I should have taken his suggestion for 4 cans, not just 2. Oy.

A - Pouring slowly from the can (yeah, for review I find it necessary to disobey the can's blatant directions) Heady Topper is a fully cloudy, tainted golden apricot color. Head rises up but this beer certainly isn't heady. Low retention but delicate lace patches the glass.

S - It's hard to experience a better, fuller, hop-rich aroma. Bursting with American hop goodness, this Double IPA rocks out with bold pine sap and sticky lupulin gland resin. Citrus plays a part but certainly doesn't run the show here. Mild pineapple falls behind grapefruit and lemon zest.

T - Full-on hoppy-hoppy joy-joy, Heady Topper is laced with so much hop complexity; bold pine keeps the pace while grapefruit extraordinaire grips your teeth's enamel and doesn't let go. Sticky honey and pale malt almost becomes completely forgettable despite it's impeccable balance.

M - This can reads, "So drinkable, it's scary." I'd have to agree wholeheartedly. It could just be the explosive hop profile but, the alcohol percent isn't even perceived here. From the perfectly smooth mouthfeel to the grippingly bitter, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice-like finish, this chewy Double IPA is a pleasure to pass over the tongue.

O - I think the crude can drawing is trying to depict the back of this guy's head exploding with hops while a giant smile creeps from behind his beard. After I got my first whiff, I almost had to check the back one mine too! What a hop rush! While Heady Topper isn't the craziest beer our there, and they acknowledge it on the can, it's fantastic balanced makes it one of the greatest Double IPAs out there!

(Observation; though they exclaim, "DRINK FROM THE CAN!" the can clearly shows this guy drinking from a pint. Things that make you go, "hmm".)

02-29-2012 02:36:17 | More by BeerFMAndy
DoubleSimcoe

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Heady Topper, $9 can at Blind Tiger in NYC, to benefit Vermont farmers affected by Hurricane Irene.

Appearance: Poured by bartender (damn!) and filled to the brim, the Topper comes with evident carbonation and about one-half finger of snow-like head. Good retention, beautiful lacing.

Dirty hazy orange color, straight from the farm, just like Hill Farmstead and other artisanal brews.

Smell: The juiciness and hops and fresh citrus comes through on the can already! On the glass is actually less pronounced. Fresh squeezed orange juice, a bit of lemon. Maybe they're right about drinking it from the can...

Taste: Follows nose, only more intensified. Clear juicy hops, bright citrus. Pomelo, candied orange. Whole-cone hops, so fresh they hurt. But never overwhelming. This is no West Coast IPA pounding you in the face.

Mouthfeel: Very well balanced, with almost full body and flavor, medium carbonation. A little watery around the edges but not terrible. Very fresh and never dry, didn't need any water.

Overall: Extremely drinkable. Extremely fresh. Extremely hoppy. Extremely WOW!

02-28-2012 06:13:16 | More by DoubleSimcoe
kscaldef

4.23/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From the can, as instructed. If there's a canning date, I can't find it.

A: Well... it's a can. A fairly attractive one. It appears to contain beer.

S: Sharp piney smell as soon as it's opened, like a freshly cut christmas tree. I pick up a few tropical notes as well. Pineapple and papaya. After drinking a bit, with more space in the can, the tropical scents start to become more dominant. I have to say, though, I think this drinking from the can is a loser on the aroma front, no matter what they claim.

T: Resiny, with fairly sweet biscuit malts. Bitter finish, but not over the top. Really piney. Chewing on a pine branch piney. But, in a good way.

M: On the heavy end for the style, a decent amount of residual sweetness that gives it a pretty mouth-coating feel. Slight drying astringency that balances it out a bit. Medium-low carbonation.

O: Very tasty and stays interesting through the whole can. Having this the day after a side-by-side of PtY and PtE, I think I'd put this above Elder and a bit below Younger, at least based on what my palate has been preferring lately. At another time, I might have found this a little too sweet. I do think that this is taking a hit on account of the can format.

02-28-2012 04:28:24 | More by kscaldef
liamt07

Ontario (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +1.5%

Can from pushkinwow, thanks a ton for sending this one over Steve. 16oz can into a tulip, canned January 23, 2012. 700th review.

Poured an orange brown, severely unfiltered with large particles that sit in suspension and on the base of the tulip. Good retention and spotty lace however. Nose is brilliant, but slightly more right out of the can (is this why they want you to drink it right out of the can?), loses a bit when poured into the glass. Tons of mango, pineapple, resiny, juicy and oily. Light dankness. A good amount of malt to balance. Taste has loads of grapefruit, mango and passionfruit. Chewy sweet malt character reasserting the "East Coast-iness" of this DIPA. Solid bitterness in the finish and some sweetness to lightly offset it. No alcohol to be found, and this was incredibly poundable. I can only imagine having access to this locally - a quintessential East Coast DIPA and fully lived up to expectations.

02-28-2012 01:56:12 | More by liamt07
Thingus

4.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Live tasting 16 oz can into Duvel tulip...

Appearance; pours a hazy yellow gold, and a moderate pour yeilds a finger of straw colored head that recedes after a couple minutes... Lacing is good with spiderwebs of head sticking to the sides of the glass. I did get a little carried away during the pour and per the warning on the can, dumped some resin and yeast into my glass so there is some suspended floaties... Will try the next one straight from the can, and no points off for my dumping sediment into the glass...

Smell; popped the tab and stepped into a tropical rainforest!! I had a feeling this was coming given my experience with Abrasive and the fact that it's canned as well... I'll save my "can revolution" talk for another time and place but this beer smells phenomenal. Citruses such as orange and grapefruit and tons of tropics, mango, hints of peach, and pineapple.

Taste; absolutely the smell personified here.. Pineapple, orange and grapefruit rinds, mango, peach, tangerine, just the faintest hints of pine, with the perfect amount of hop bite that sneaks in after a couple sips... Notes of caramel, round it out... Exceptionally well balanced.

Mouthfeel; on the fuller side of medium body, slightly sticky with a lingering bitter finish that never becomes overbearing or intrusive carbonation is perfect.

Overall; DAMN. This is one hell of a beer, and I will be continuously on the lookout for more. Absolutely fantastic DIPA.

————————————————————————————

Revisited direct from the can 3/17/12;

Live review, can directy into my mouth...

Appearance; looks great, a slightly polished silver color with screen printed black graphics... No dents, dings or major scratches, information about the brewery on the back along with an advisory pro-recycling statement.

Smell; great tropical aromas spring out of the mouth hole and continue oozing out of the can, mango, pineapple, tons of other assorted tropical aromas that I can't quite pin down..

Taste; simply outstanding pineapple, citrus, and markedly more resinous notes than I picked up pouring into a glass... A slightly more significant pine characteristic is also evident...

Mouthfeel; identical to the mouthfeel in the glass, absolutely fantastic.

Overall; direct from the can or in a glass, this is a damn fine beer. I'll be sad when Im outta these...

02-25-2012 23:52:57 | More by Thingus
output01x

4.45/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to beerhan for this awesome extra.

Partially poured from a 16 oz. can (no date) into a pint glass.

A moderate pour yields a 1 1/2-finger cream-colored head that slowly fades after a couple minutes to a thin coating and thick foam ring. The body is a hazy orange amber with a light number of random carbonation bubbles. Some light lacing can be seen clinging sporadically to the glass throughout consumption but does not stick around long.

The nose is a delicious and even combination of citrus and pine. Sweet and tropical, notes of grapefruit, tangerine, and mango all come forward and make themselves known.

Sweet acidity cuts the tongue at the beginning of each sip. Strong tropical flavors of tangerine, mandarin oranges, and grapefruit meet a strong pine flavor. Upon swallowing, the citrus and pine flavors kick it up a notch, Emeril style. These flavors linger and slowly transform into a slight bitterness.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, this beer is easy sipping, easy swallowing, and easy to enjoy. The body is thick and coating, and allows the flavors to not only stand out but to take hold of your palate. The carbonation is barely noticeable but is certainly doing more than its fair share to contribute to the drinkability.

Consuming this beer from the can (as opposed to from out of a glass) has multiple benefits. The carbonation becomes stronger which adds to both the mouthfeel and the drinkability. The flavor becomes a bit more citrusy and loses a bit of the bitterness.

02-25-2012 08:13:50 | More by output01x
elgiacomo

Georgia

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

16oz can...supposedly canned on Feb 14th 2012, but no date noted on the can. Served at around 45F. Big thanks to Ryan for this trade!!!

Pours very hazy if not a bit chunky orange with a one finger off-white head that retains well and leaves some rings of lacing behind.

Aroma is fresh orange, tangerine and grapefruit citrus, pineapple and peaches, some sniffs tend more toward a dank and piney hop profile. Overall a citrus and fruity hop bomb. Malt? Why bother... Very good to excellent strength.

Flavor is an onslaught of all the things that make a great IPA. Tons of orange, tangerine and grapefruit citrus, pineapple, some pine, resinous and a little dank, minimal malt backbone, fantastic strong bitterness on the finish and a bit of alcohol. Super JUICY!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, oily and sticky with good carbonation.

An incredible, world-class Double IPA that is more than worthy of all the praise it receives. Very complex for the style, it’s got a little of everything a hophead desires. While I should be going slow and savoring my only can, this is dangerously drinkable and going down pretty fast. Fantastic!

02-25-2012 03:09:33 | More by elgiacomo
celfan

Vermont

4.95/5  rDev +4.7%

I've been drinking these over the past few months and the batches have varied a bit. All I can say is, if you live near Healthy Living in South Burlington VT, grab a 4 pack today (toward the back). This is the best batch I've had. The tropical juice is just sublime. I did have one batch where I hardly detected any juice, it was most straight up hops. This one is just right. Juicy. Piney.
Slightly slick feel in the mouth. I almost cried from happiness after I popped the can and gave it a sniff. I'm drinking this one out of the can as directed. I'll probably try the next one out of a glass.I'll probably go for a third since wife isn't home. Gotta go, I
got a new fuzz pedal for my guitar today and the best batch of Heady to date. Life is good.

02-24-2012 22:52:43 | More by celfan
sans

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%

One of my favorites ... I buy a case every other month or so.

Appearance - is a cloudy, golden orange and small amounts of debris in suspension. Lots of speculation on what is is, but we all seem to agree it tastes pretty damned good! I always wish for more head.

Smell - grapefruit avalanche with spots of other citrus ... minimal but present pine and perhaps a little lemongrass.

Taste - the gift that keeps on giving. waves of aromatic hops roll to the back of the tongue and crash on the shoreline of the pallet. Huge bitterness balanced with mingling sweetness. Maybe a little diacetyl buttery inbetween??? Very complex beer ... I may never fully understand its beauty.

Mouthfeel - rich, thick, and slippery. Very modest carbonation.

Overall - a very rich and rewarding beer. The kind of beer that spoils you and makes you question others that you liked a month ago ...

02-24-2012 20:02:48 | More by sans
rhartogsq

4.7/5  rDev -0.6%

Pretty stoked to have this beer. Poured some into a glass so I could see it, and the rest I drank out of a can.

A. Orangy hazy. Nice.
S. nice pine and grapefruit, citrus back end.
T. Good, damn, good. Hope forward that doesn't linger. Citrus back bone.
M. Medium level carbonation, but otherwise smooth.
O. Really good, well above average DIPA. Best beer out of a can that I have had.

02-22-2012 03:02:06 | More by rhartogsq
ewhitford

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

This brew is only one word and that is FANTASTIC! totally lives up to all the hype. its a must try before you die beer.
I have had it right from the can and ive had it out of a pint glass and its just so dam tasty i cant believe it packs a pretty good punch with 8%abv. So fresh and smooth

02-22-2012 02:36:05 | More by ewhitford
secinarot

Had this straight from the can as recommended. Was a little strange as I NEVER drink straight from the can/bottle, but I have to say it worked. Such a well balanced beer I could not believe it. Outrageous hop flavor but zero bitter bite. Excellent malt profile. The sweet hop taste lingered well after I had finished the can.

I have had Pliny the Elder fresh from the RR brew pub and Heady Topper from a can is every bit as good. Absolutely one of the best 2-3 beers that I have ever had.

02-22-2012 02:28:45 | More by secinarot
theghost3

Louisiana

4.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to claaark13 for this.

I know the can says to drink the beer directly from the vessel, but for review purposes, I wanted to see it. Pours a beautiful, hazy orange with lots of sediment and a 2-finger, frothy off-white head; minimal lacing. It looks very raw; as if it's not ready to be consumed. This is about to get interesting...

Smell is overpowering fresh grapefruit, tropical fruit hops with a hint of herbs. The taste is sweet/slightly bitter grapefruit & tropical fruit hops (mango, maybe pineapple and passion fruit) with some herbal hints; faint caramel malt flavor. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, lots of carbonation, yet smoother than I expected. This is not as chewy as I expected, but the bits of sediment are noticeable.

This is a hop bomb like no other. Rough & raw, but if you love grapefruity DIPAs like a PTE, you'll love this.

02-22-2012 00:43:17 | More by theghost3
henskejk

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%

Drank straight from the can, which was purchased the same day of canning. This particular can was drank 1 day after canning.

A - though drank from the can, had a 2 oz. sampler on tap at the brewery when purchasing and the appearance was a cloudy golden yellow with a good amount of white head

S - Delicious hop aroma with citrus and a bit of pine

T - very smooth, just like described on the can, this packs a lot of hop flavor, but not in an abrasive way. Also a little malty sweetness to round it out.

M - medium body, with a good amount of carbonation that makes this pleasant to drink.

O - Great beer, something I can enjoy over and over again