Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 2,032 | Hads: 11,338
4.88/5  rDev +4.7%

Sampled from a can in a standard pint glass. Thanks surge1311!

A - Yellowish, light golden color and very hazy with minimal head. Not all that appealing if the aroma didn't hit me as fast as the visuals.

S - Wow! This thing cranks out aroma like nothing else I've had. Wonderful notes of pineapple, orange, grapefruit, ...

T - This is my kind of IPA. It's all about the hops and specifically late addition hops. There's enough malt there to prop it up but it gladly takes a backseat. The hop flavors follow the aroma closely. There's also a firm fruity flavor and a mild bitterness. The 8% alcohol is completely unnoticed.

M - A moderate consistency with a low carbonation. Nothing special but it supports the flavors nicely.

O - Wow, what a brew. As for the Pliny vs HT debate, no comparison in my mind. They're two different but very special things. It's like trying to say which one of my kids is my favorite.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance- Poured about 6oz into a snifter before drinking the rest from the can. Pours a hazy yellow-orange with an inch of head that quickly fades to a film of bubbles on the surface. Some sediment but this pour was off the top of the can so it isn't bad.

Smell- If my world could smell like one thing it would be Heady Topper. I get some pine up front then just waves of juicy tangerine and a little alcohol.

Taste- Again, waves of hop flavor come through to the point where it is hard to pick out individual notes. The bitterness is pretty subdued which is amazing for the amount of hops used. I don't get pine in the taste just more juicy fruit and a little sweetness.

Mouthfeel- Medium to full mouthfeel. I get stickiness that allows the flavor to linger but not necessarily the resiny mouthfeel of some other DIPA. Moderate carbonation..

Overall- I don't think there is anything quite like this. I would describe it as liquid hop extract without the bitterness. Just juicy and delicious plus with 16 ounces at 8% you have a nice little buzz afterwards. Can is right, it is so drinkable it's scary.

4.8/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

16 oz can courtesy of tommyguz pours an uber-hazed gold color with a stubborn, sticky off white head. It's money on retention and lacing.

Nose is juicy citrus and tropical hop aroma. Bubblegum dank with pineapple and mango. As Borat would put it - That's a very nice!

Pretty amazing they can pack this much hop flavor into a beer these days. Lots of bitterness here too. You can tell there is malt in there, but good luck finding a flavor description to attach to it. Just a massive tidal wave of hops - citric, tropical, piney; you name it hop-wise, its here. ABV is well hidden and the flow is nice from the hop flavor to the bitter finish...not halting at all. Definitely a world class beer, good enough to say that if I was transferred to Vermont for work, regualr access to this would be one of the first things to pop into my mind.

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It may sound blasphemous, but really not much separates a lot of the top American IPAs - Sculpin, Resin, Double Jack, etc. They're extremely good, but somewhat similar. But Heady Topper has that x factor that keeps you wanting more. Not sure if it's the well-rounded mouthfeel or supremely fresh taste. It's just infinitely drinkable.

First you get juicy hops and it's almost a little too bitter. Then after a couple sips the bitterness mellows out a bit, yielding to a wide range of fruity hop flavors -- citrus, grapefruit, mango and apple. There's also a big, green piney/grassy/herbal hop presence. The mouthfeel is big, round, creamy and balanced, but also resinous and sappy at times. Combined with the tangy fruit profile, it's somewhat reminiscent of a sophisticated cider or champagne. Really dry, bitter finish.

It's a thoroughly American IPA and there is a distinct lack of nutty/biscuity/malty characteristics that you might find in more internationally-inspired brews. That's the only negative thing I can think of to say. But it's surely better off as is.

This beer just keeps giving and giving and it's difficult to pin down why you enjoy it so much. You just keep reaching for cans until you realize that it's still an 8% abv brew and you should probably not kill that precious 4-pack by yourself tonight.

4.93/5  rDev +5.8%

I finally got my hands on some HT, and in one of the most unlikely places of all. A cheese and wine shop. Through word of mouth I got the scoop that there's some HT a few doors down, so I had to take the rest of the afternoon to dabble.

It is definitely a standout beer. Just the hype surrounding it makes it difficult to be impartial. In a few words, it's a very well balanced DIPA with a massive citrusy blast . In my opinion the citrus is what makes it unique. Would I put it @ #1?... not sure, it's definitely up there. In any case, it's definitely worth a try. Massive hype aside, this beer will not disappoint even the most picky beer snob.

4.11/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Great nose! Excellent hazy orange color with substantial white head. I had this from the can, but would love to try it on tap. The on-can instructions to drink it directly from the can are a little disconcerting for the average beer snob. We like glassware!

In short, it is a very tasty beer, but a bit single-faceted to be rated as high as the Plinys. This is more of a grassy hop bomb like Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' than a full-bodied, well-rounded palette pleaser.

3.96/5  rDev -15%

This is quite the beer with the only downside being the appearance, which is probably why the brewer suggests drinking it from the can.

Pours a nice light golden/yellow. But the uneven haze and murkiness just don't look appealing. The absence of a nice fluffy white head makes it worse. Lacing is splotchy

From there things look up. A nice mango, citrus, grapefruit pairing of hops in the nose. Not all that juicy as some dIPAs, but certainly above average. Light biscuit malt

As this one warms it gets a bit buttery, although butter isn't quite the right term. Pithy? Not sure, but the sharpness of the hop flavors (citrus, grapefruit, pomelo) loses a bit after a short while. The biscuit becomes doughy. Still, the flavors are really enjoyable and quenching.

Feel is dry and sparkly. A nice summer time dIPA that hides the abv well.

4.61/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a very cloudy (mostly opaque) straw color, with 1.5 fingers of white head, composed of small and medium bubbles. The head dissolved into a think film pretty quickly. The little bit I poured did leave moderate+ lacing on the glass. Looks unfiltered, as there are some particulates in the ounce or so that I poured.

S: From the rocks glass: Floral and hoppy. Smells pretty balanced. From the can: harder to smell, but I pick up more fruity sweetness. Pineapple is the fruit I'm most reminded of.

T: Lots going on here. A moderate/moderate- sweet and slightly spicy start. Mild malt mid-taste; perhaps just a bit biscuity. Finishes with a medium dose of clean citrus hops. It's strength is in its balance. I don't notice any alcohol at 8% abv.

M: Medium- body; enough body to respect but not so much your tongue gets tired. Much closer to how an IPA should feel than a DIPA. Carbonation is great. If I could find them, I feel like I could have a couple of these on a summer afternoon.

O: Great brew, though it resembles an IPA more than a DIPA. I'm fine with this beer defining the smell, taste, and body of what an good IPA should be. I'd prefer it be a bit darker and clearer in appearance, but I'm not willing to sacrifice its smell, taste, or mouth-feel to get there. It's a great beer, and if they weren't so hard to get ahold of, I'd sit outside and enjoy a few of them on a summer afternoon.

4.86/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

One of my all time favorites. I've had this many times, but finally doing a proper review.

Appearance - A hazy golden orange-yellow with a white fluffy head.

Aroma - Fruity, hoppy, and fresh. Citrus fruits like orange and grapefruit can be smelt. Also, a floral and resinous hop flavor comes through as well. A light malt flavor can be detected in the back ground.

Taste - A fresh hop blast hits you with every sip. Orange, grapefruit, pine, and resin. A malt backbone is there too.

Mouthfeel - Easy drinking and super smooth. Not overly bitter. A perfect balance for a DIPA.

Overall - Always a favorite of mine and I love being close to getting it when I have the chance. Easy drinking and very flavorful. Can't get enough!

3.86/5  rDev -17.2%

Straight from can as recommended, 10 min out of the fridge.

A - ?

S - Smells alternately nice and piney and something sort of chemical-y sweet, partly like sunscreen. Not bad but unusual.

T - That sunscreeny/piney element carries through on the palate. It seems a more green and planty overall now, with the sunscreen aspect leaning more toward something buttery sweet that you'd find in baked goods. It's a very pleasant and smooth taste overall. It's definitely an accomplishment in fresh tasting flavor. It pops. I'm glad the bitterness isn't stunt-grade. It's just enough to give it substantial bite to this fairly lupulin-tolerant palate of mine without becoming that distracting kind of bitter that must be partially tolerated while being partially enjoyed. This bitterness was all enjoy and a pleasant complement to the flavors.

M - Nothing special. Just sort of normal beery, a bit sharp. Leaves some mild hop abrasion on the tongue afterwards for a good while.

O - I knew the hype on this one but have trained myself to go into these things now just expecting a very good beer instead of ecstasy and in that respect I was not disappointed. It's a very good beer. I'll try the next one out of a pint glass and adjust/refine this review. A tornado was coming when I drank this and I figured I'd better go ahead and try the top rated beer in the world before I maybe died (didn't). So next time will be calmer.

4.78/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent double IPA, there is a reason why this beer is #1. The smell, the taste, and the feel of this hoppy conconction of godliness are all there and do not disappoint. I'm hoping to get my hands on another 1 soon. Definitely worth the hype, cheers to Alchemist!

4.63/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Headed across the lake to Winooski Beverage to grab some of these bad boys. Needed to know if this beer lived up to the reviews. It did!

A - Medium yellow, very light in color for a DIPA. Lot's of carbonation visible, and some fizz stayed for the duration of the sipping. Nice, large head with lot's of residual left behind.

S - Lot's and lot's of quality hops! Such a strong aroma. Very fruity, immense amounts of grapefruit, also some lemon, lime, and even an ever-so-slight hint of pineapple. Some dankness as well, but in the good way we all know and and love. Also hints of pine and MORE hops. DANK with hops!

T - It lives up. I was partly expecting this beer to be incredibly bitter, just for the sake of being able to say "there is a ton of hops in here." Not the case. The hoppy taste is there in abundance, sure, but there's more to it than that. Huge amounts of flavorful hops. Big blasts of grapefruit, and a good amount of lemon. Hints of pineapple and lime, plays off the heavy grapefruit flavor so well. So much hop taste present, that it almost has a "nutty" taste. People have said this beer is so hoppy it's almost juicy. That's 100% true. So much fruitiness going on, (although I know this isn't the case) that I wouldn't be shocked in the least to learn fruit was actually added to this beer during fermentation. An outstanding tasting DIPA. Editing here - I've noticed once the beer is a couple weeks old, the nutty taste is more prevalent. Not a bad thing by any means. I enjoy when a beer ages and different tastes can be noticed.

F - Dangerously drinkable. Does sting a bit, slightly dry (but not as dry as many IPA's, so that's a plus), but the "juicyness of the hops make up for that I think. I liked that it seems to have a bit more carbonation than most IPA's, which helps with the dryness. This stuff is so easy to drink, I could easily picture myself drinking several in a short time, then being more buzzed than I planned!

O - It lives up the reviews. One of the best beers in the world, and my 2nd favorite beer of all time. So much hoppy taste, but not just for the sake of being big and bitter. The hops are full of flavor, they make you want to drink this fast. So tasty, yet so dangerously drinkable. Certainly a world class beer, it deserves all the praise it gets.

4.76/5  rDev +2.1%

Huge, huge, thanks to MrKennedy for this. Believe to be two-three weeks old max.

So I did, at first... drank around 1/3, then poured...

A - cloudy pineapple juice. Minimal head.

S - hops, mango, pineapple. I noted less intense than others have.

T - wallop! Pineapple, pink grapefruit, mango/peach as sweeteners, sublime and integrated. Malt backbone is solid. Citrus hops follow but do not overpower. Just the way I like it.

M - medium weight, well carbonated but not overcarbonated. On the money.

Overall - world class brew, and amazing I got the chance to try so fresh. Real downside is it goes down just so easily, you would never guess it was 8%. One day I will go to Waterbury.

Dunno about this can lark, tho.... :-0 ....having said that - it does accentuate the pine notes and makes for an overall less sweet (and maybe more archetypal) DIPA experience. I'll go the glass, thanks.

A - Drinking from a can so really can't rate appearance.

S - Phenomenal hop scents explode from the can. Is this for real or infused with something?

T - Simply Amazing. So much flavor explosions like a grand finale fireworks show on the palate. Floral notes, pine, citrus...lots of resin present. Malty balance to control the bitterness to minimal levels of tolerance that even novice craft drinkers can handle and love.

M - Very smooth and buttery.

O - Well worth the hype. Love this beer. Thanks to my pal Kevin for remembering to pick me up some samplers from his Burlington, Vermont business trip!

4.76/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

With huge, massive thanks to the exceedingly generous Owen (MrKennedy).

Believe this is two weeks or so old? Would easily have been close to my number one want.

Upon cracking the can, pine and mango pervade the room. First sips were taken from the can.

Pours into the glass a slightly cloudy pineapple juice colour. Appearance-wise, the head does dissipate a little quickly.

Smell is as mentioned: pine, mango, lots of citric fruit: oranges, mandarins, lemons. Also get a slight herbal quality, perhaps ginger/ginseng. Just such potency and solidarity in the aroma.

Taste is more pine and mango and primarily citric fruits. Taste lingers and carries an almost Tripel-esque mango sweetness in the mouth, but this is balanced by a dry hoppiness. I would say this is well balanced- it does have a lingering bitterness, but the sweetness is also easy to detect. Herbal quality grows over time.

Mouthfeel features moderate body and above average, tingly carbonation.

Could I call this the best DIPA I've had? That depends on tastes. It's certainly the freshest-tasting, with the most pronounced tropical/citric fruits aroma I've had. Similar but better version of Surly Furious, although to be fair when I had Furious my palate was a little muted.

Sadly although I am amazingly glad I've had this beer, it makes me wish I had more. Amazingly drinkable. Hopefully I am merely saying au revoir, rather than a permanent goodbye. I hope to one day meet it again.

NB: When I drank from the can, I found the pine flavour more singular and concentrated. It also seems a little maltier somehow. I find drinking from the can to be a valid alternative for this beer, and worth experimenting with.

4.96/5  rDev +6.4%

Canned on 6/3/2013; enjoyed on 6/6/2013.

The first few sips were from the can. I then poured the other half into a stemless glass so that I could comment on the appearance.

A - Bright orange with a bubbly white head. No sign of hop resins or "floaties". A fantastic looking beer.

S - Strong citrus hops, sweet, slight dankness, and resin/pine. This, in my opinion, is the best smelling DIPA. The aroma/smell was noted immediately after opening the can.

T - First few sips from the can. A strong (but not overwhelming) taste of citrus/grapefruit, bitterness, and sweet malt. Everything from the aroma is there. A superbly well-rounded DIPA.

M - Medium body.

O - Outstanding, lives up to the hype, and dangerously drinkable! This is the gold standard for DIPA's/IIPA's and the finest craft beer that I've ever had. Beg, borrow, or steal to try this!

I agree with the recommendation to "drink from the can!". Sips from the can did capture more of the amazing aroma in each sip, in my opinion.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

16oz can, huge thanks to Chris for sending this out here. Canned 15 May.

Murky appearance, really light milky golden orange colour. Nothing much to write home about. Nice white foam on top that gradually reduces over the time of drinking but always staying at a level just above film. Nice lacing as it slowly recedes.

Brilliant aromas of pine, pineapple, mango and grapefruit. The pine is temporary and the grapefruit and other fruits take over. Lots going on. Well integrated and a delight to smell.

Tastes of the grapefruit and pine with a touch of the mango and pineapple there as well. Even a little bit of apple oddly as i get to the end of it. Very impressive, but probably a touch below what is delivered with the smell.

HIgher carbonation than most. Doesn't get gassy, nor does it get harsh with the higher levels. Solid bitterness throughout and finishes with a bit of a kick and this is just enhanced with the added carbonation. Very drinkable, 16oz disappears all too soon.

Brilliant. Amazingly drinkable, beautiful beer. I can see why people grab their full 6 case allocation at the cannery. The 8% ABV isn't noticable until you finish it and get a bit of a glow. Really impressive beer!

4.59/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Ok so this beer says to drink out of the can, so I am reviewing this beer drinking one from the can and one poured into a glass on a separate session. So the look isn't good. Tons of grainy sediment but to be fair they do tell you to keep it in the can for smell reasons, but after seeing it in a glass I call BS and say this is why they don't want you to see it. The smell is a hoppy citrus explosion. Might be the most citrus I've ever smelled in a beer. Most importantly the taste, and the taste is pretty good and smooth on some tastes and others a little more harsh. Never bad but kind of inconsistent taste through the beer. Overall, it's a good beer but not great, or for that matter the best rating on advocate. Double IPAs is perhaps the most competitive class of beers and I have definitely had better than this.

Update: had a third now out of the can, and it was a hell of a lot better than I remember. Extremely smooth and consistent. Now I don't know what to think about this except that I need to get a 4th to see if its as good as this one. It's very smooth but interestingly enough it lacked the citrus explosion like the last one had. Still can't say it the best double IPA. Yet.

Ok, now an update on the update. All I can add is the importance of beer date labels. I've now had a few more and you have a Heady and it isn't quite consistent throughout drinking its probably old. The fresher the better. I finally admit its world class when fresh, but can't say the best. Personal preference. But now I'm just not picking.

Side note, to all brewery's please put beer dates on your labels that are easy to see. Why would you want anyone judging you beer if it's old and we don't know its old?

3.96/5  rDev -15%

Have to give a shout out to ffOpusx for sharing this brew. Great, multi-dimensional fresh hop nose that unfortunately doesn’t carry over into the flavor. The floaties are also extremely offputting, and simply suggesting that the beer be drunk out of the can doesn’t get Alchemist off the hook for such a shoddy presentation.

From the can, obviously but poured into a tulip. Huge, overwhelming aromas of fresh pine, peaches, citrus pith & spicy hops; you could seriously sniff this all day long and not get bored. Poured a cloudy amber orange with a thin head, that dies to a fine lace. Well, I wasn’t expecting this...the taste is just so one dimensional with fresh pine, spicy bitter hops...and then nothing. No linger, malt was a bit high, no hint of sweetness, nothing, nada, zilch. There is just no finish!! It’s like drinking a stripped wine. I just don’t know what all the hype is about...oh wait, I do...it’s just hype and everyone is on this train. Your better of drinking O.G. and/or the standard of D.I.P.A.’s i.e. Russian Rivers Pliny the Elder or even Alpine Beer Company Pure Hoppiness a muh more balanced approach to the style. Maybe it was old but I was hoping to be blown away and I wasn't. If I come across it again I'll give it another shot and do a comparison of HT vs. PtE vs. Pure Hoppiness.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Only because I poured the first can, I can report that the Heady Topper pours into a chalice the color of straw, hazy, and an ample white head.

S - From the freshly opened can...grass aromas, fresh...just harvested hop aroma, JUST CUT, mixture of oranges and other citrus...grapefruit.

T - It's such a fresh hop flavor that you would swear that there are buds IN THE CAN. The most unique hop taste I have ever experienced, and, I was skeptical at first, but, there is ABSOLUTELY a discernible difference in the poured vs. can tasting option. In my opinion, the fresher "rawness" in the hop flavor is NOT as present if poured. The hop flavors tend toward bitter. It's not a grapefruit bitterness, it is the first time I'm going to say...this is a hop "extract" bitterness. It's not hops masquerading as an orange, a tangerine or a grapefruit. It's a mashed hop plant in your beer. Hop nation!

M - Medium-heavy. A little sticky. Plenty of carbonation.

O - Well. I would advise everyone who is fortunate enough to get ahold of the Heady to try it by the pour, and compare it to "straight from the can." I'm sure anyone who has had at least two cans in their possession has done this anyway. Delicious. Unforgettable.

4.42/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A big thanks to Roger at Bestway for GIVING me this beer on Sunday.I know it's snobbery but I can't drink beer out of a can,I hate myself but I just can't.Pours a murky kind of lemony tea looking with a thin white head,the color was hard to pinpoint.Pure hops in the nose,tropical fruit, citrus rind,deep pine resin,and sweet alcohol,all make for a volitile mix.Just hops and lots o' hops on the palate,pine resin,deep overripe tropical fruits,and some bitterness in the finish.It's oily as all get out and slick in the mouth.This beer is pretty damn raw and complex in the hop department to the hilt,bad ass.I love the hop burps!

4.86/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Drank from the can, per its request. Having had it both ways, however, I can attest that my evaluation remains a perfect score regardless.

A: (from a previous experience) golden orange and cloudy.

S: Powerful citrus hops, a bit of pine.

T: Initial overload of citrus and tropical hops with a bit of pine under there. Faint malt that is certainly there but not overwhelming. Not overly bitter and extremely refreshing.

M: Thick and satisfying.

O: Full disclosure, I am firmly placed within the Heady camp of the great DIPA wars. No doubt, having regular access to Heady is one of the greatest joys of living in Vermont. That said, I recognize the danger of the hype surrounding a beer like Heady. I have not drank nearly enough beer--let alone DIPAs--in my life to claim to know what is and is not the best beer--or IPA--in the world. What I can say is that, before first trying Heady Topper on my 21st birthday thanks to a couple generous friends, I absolutely loathed anything IPA, having preferred stouts and the maltier side of the beer spectrum. I never understood the so-called "hopheads" when all I could taste was overt bitterness and strange combinations of malts and hops. I suspect the primary culprit is the inability of lesser breweries to achieve an ideal hop-malt balance. To this day I still cannot finish most IPAs and DIPAs. Regardless, the perfect score I've given is due to the fact that Heady made me love hops and IPAs. It is undoubtedly the best beer I've had in my short life of drinking and it would be my choice for the only beer to drink for the rest of my life. I plan on staying in Vermont as long as possible to realize this possibility. That said, don't listen to the hype, try it for yourself. Even if you don't think it's God's gift to man, few can discount that its a treat to enjoy at least once.

This beer reminded me a of a springtime night in Paris.

It's true that I was sitting in a bar in the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn when I enjoyed this fine specimen, but the bitter first hit followed by the refreshing smoothness took me to the land of cheese and goose livers.

4.91/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Found this little brewery while on vacation up in VT. This is by far one of the best Imperial IPA's I had. It's unfiltered and has an Extremely hoppy aroma with a great balance composure of grains. I didn't believe the Alchemist brewery beer hype in VT until I went there myself. It was unbelievable! Great imperial IPA!

Got a case from zrab11! Cheers!

This beer is great! As most other reviews will tell you.

More importantly the can is the best part! You can drop it and beat the heck out of the can but the beer will still taste just the same!!! You should really only drink from a can! And please recycle and don't be A D-Bag!

Heady Topper from The Alchemist