Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 6,252
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%

I finally made the 3 hour drive to get some Heady Topper.
I'm going to drink some out of the can, as they suggest, and some out of a snifter, as I tend to prefer.

pouring half(ish) of the can into an oversized snifter gives a glowing golden orange body and a pure white head that is not too oversized, but sticks around and laces well.

tropical fruits slam my nose with tons of citrus, juicy and bitter, and some pine, lemon zest, some earthy/floral hops and some light malts. very aromatic.

tons and tons of resiny hop flavors with tropical fruits, juicy and bitter citrus, tons of pine, a good amount of bitterness, and a sweetness that comes in for a visit before it finishes resiny and bitter. (when I took a 1 ounce sample at the brewery, I tasted it the whole 3 hour drive home!) what a tasty, intense beer.

medium bodied and over-the-top resiny with just enough carbonation to add a prickly feel. it starts and ends as pure hop resin though.

oh my god. definitely meets the expectations. I'm glad I spent my Christmas money to buy an entire case. I was going to share a lot of it, but I have a feeling I'll be drinking a lot of this the next week!!! Happy new year to me!!!

4.66/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in trade from Bricenice, Thanks Mike!

A: okay, if you follow the directions " drink straight from the can" how can you rate appearance? So I started drinking from can then poured the second half into a FFF Teku. How anyone can rate appearance a 5 is beyond me unless you thin the can is beautiful. Appearance is a murky golden color with decent head but retention was lacking.

S: amazing, one of the best smelling beers I have ever had, tons of floral notes, cirus, pine, aroma does not dissipate at all.

T: again, outstanding. Very different than any other DIPA I've had. On par with Pliny, Dreadnaught, and Abrasive.

M: very good but not quite as smooth as Dreadnaught or other slightly higher abv beers.

O: definitely worth seeking out if you like DIPA's. Very different from most others as well, the aroma is probably the best I have ever sensed but the taste, mouthfeel, and appearance bring it down for me a bit.

3.5/5  rDev -26%

4.74/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This has been on my wants list for almost 2 years. I am going to try to be as open minded. If you would have told me 5 years ago that the #1 beer in the world would be from a can I would have said you were crazy. Lets see.

A strong pour generates two fingers of foamy thick yellow tan head. Retention is very good and spotty lace is left behind barely. Body is a hazy honey orange in tone. Really pretty standard for the style. Just hard to get excited about this tone.

Nose is prickly and piney all in one. Citrus rind and sweet marmalade play all surrounding a generally musky tone that carries this wonderful scent. Truely sweet nose in terms of what you usually expect from a big IPA.

And then you get it. With first sip you immediately are greeted by such a unique hop profile. Bold hop goodness attacks the mouth. Its almost like sucking on a whole hop cone. Full of dynamically bitter hoppines from the moment it hits the tongue all the way through the nicely long lingering mouthfeel. Pineapple and musky pine play in the entire palate.

This is a truely wonderful beer. I would easily put it up there with the top 5 I have ever had the pleasure of trying.

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%

Got some of these on a recent beer trip to VT. Glad In did too, man is this one killer IPA. Official review now. PT sized can...

A: A murky golden color with a 1 inch white fluffy head that fades quickly to a small lace atop the brew. Very good.

S: Awesome! A hop heads wet dream. Some piney citrus upfront quickly blended with some tropical fruit scents some more grapefruit citrus on the end. Such a well blend of hop varieties. Awesome!

T: Starts off with a mouthful of bubbles and piney malt which is quickly drowned by a hop flavor that ramps up quickly and overtakes the taste. A beautiful grapefruit / pineapple blend with a piney bitterness which sticks with you on your palate. Man, such a well blended IPA. One of the best blends of hop flavors I've had in an IPA.

M: Medium body with a hard carbonation. A creamy bitter finish. Very good.

O: All in all, yep, this is one of the best IPA's I've had. If you like an IPA that blends all flavors exceptionally well, than this will blow your mind. If you like an IPA that is just bitter and nothing else, this is satisfy, but not blow you away. A must try for the hop lover!

4.19/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

1,000 thanks to Harrymel for being the most generous BA I've ever came across since joining this site 2 and 1/2 years ago.

A - Murkey Blood Orange - average head retantion and lacing. Not much activation going on in both the Tulip and Guiness perfect pint glass I poured them in, lots of floaties.

S - Very pungent upon semi-agressive swirl as do most top notch IPAs/DIPAs. The citric notes I pick up are primarily Guava and the Grapefruit I pick up is a ruby red grapefruit. Some orange and faint strawberry. Mauna Lai Juice! The Pine and Earth component remind me a little of PTE.

T - Much the same as the nose. The citrus really reminds me of Mauna Lai Juice cut with some Orange juice backed by earthy pine. Finishes juicy yet dry at the same time. Pretty damn close to perfect bitterness in this. I can see where some may complain too bitter but I found it to be solid. ABV nowhere to be found. Way to easy to session this beer.

M - Crisp, clean, dry earthy finish. Beggs you to keep sipping. Juicy upfront, bitter and dry in the finish. Pretty fantastic.

O - I had high expectations for this beer. It did not exceed them nor did it fall below them. It was GREAT, just as I suspected. World Class DIPA, just how I like them. It's a beer that belongs in the same discussions as the other overly Hyped ones and holds it's own. There are a few I prefer over HT but make no mistake about it...HT does not dissapoint. Need to revisit on tap.

4.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Big ups to woodchopper for hooking me up

16oz can poured into a pint glass

Appearance : very cloudy golden color. A nice one finger white head forms after a less than aggressive pour that slowly dissipates to sticky lacing

Smell : lots of wonderful evergreen and pine tree aromas. Lots of pineapple and orange citrus aroms also abound

Taste : flavor is spot on one the most easy beer to fall in love with. Tons of orange citrus flavors and pineapple dominant. Finishes with mild hop bitterness. Strong malt backbone adds a pleasant sweetness

Mouthfeel : medium bodied brew with pleasant carbonation

Overall : I really love to drink this beer quickly I just can't seem to sip this one. I suggest drinking this one in a big gulps. Every BA owes it to themselves to seek this beer out. Make sure to get your self a 4pak because one is not enough

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

16oz can...supposedly canned on Feb 14th 2012, but no date noted on the can. Served at around 45F. Big thanks to Ryan for this trade!!!

Pours very hazy if not a bit chunky orange with a one finger off-white head that retains well and leaves some rings of lacing behind.

Aroma is fresh orange, tangerine and grapefruit citrus, pineapple and peaches, some sniffs tend more toward a dank and piney hop profile. Overall a citrus and fruity hop bomb. Malt? Why bother... Very good to excellent strength.

Flavor is an onslaught of all the things that make a great IPA. Tons of orange, tangerine and grapefruit citrus, pineapple, some pine, resinous and a little dank, minimal malt backbone, fantastic strong bitterness on the finish and a bit of alcohol. Super JUICY!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, oily and sticky with good carbonation.

An incredible, world-class Double IPA that is more than worthy of all the praise it receives. Very complex for the style, it’s got a little of everything a hophead desires. While I should be going slow and savoring my only can, this is dangerously drinkable and going down pretty fast. Fantastic!

Heady Topper from The Alchemist