Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Ratings: 10,772 | Reviews: 2,150
4.95/5  rDev +4.7%

Hard to find, but definitely worth the wait. Nothing but greatness!

3.58/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was such a let down. I've had almost every beer on the top 250 list and I can name 10 beers that are better than this one. Womp.

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dry, bitter, slightly sticky. Definitely good but definitely not worth freaking out over.

4.47/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I never get tired of this beer. It's one of the fluffiest DIPAs ever with such a wonderful punch of hops that linger. The finish is super clean and leaves you dying for another sip. Too bad it's such a pain to get :)

4.91/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Revived a 4 pack from a trade.
very happy with it.
Everything I can say has probably been said before.
But worth trying to get your hands on some.

5's all across the board. Best smelling, tasting and finishing beer. I have ever had.

4.68/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Can poured into glass I'm almost positive that they tell you to drink it in the can because In a glass it does not look so great but in this case looks are definitely deceiving nice tropical fruit aromas that also come through in the flavor with a nice bitter hoppy finish outstanding ipa that lives up to the hype

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Can't find flaws in this one, or too many better double IPAs for that matter. There are better, but they are few and far between. There's really nothing negative to say - the look, smell, taste, feel, and whatever else you care about are damn near perfect. It's not the best beer I have ever had but it's pretty damn close

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I finally got to try this thanks to a coworker who got some in a trade. I drank it from the can as directed. It was very good, however, I feel this beer should not still be at #1. I had Pliny the Elder a week ago and liked it a lot more. But, fwiw, I think I like FW Double Jack more than this, so do what you will with this review.

4.92/5  rDev +4%

What can I say, awesome piny hop nose, just keeps coming at you. sweet malty start then just a dank hop explosion on the tongue. Outstanding beer.

4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

At this point, reviewing Heady Topper is analogous to rating the character of Derek Jeter. Everything great has been said, everything said has been great, and that standard is not going away. So, we are no longer worthy of trying to compare this IPA to anything else on the market. A reviewer below writes that although Heady is "an incredible IPA, there are others equally as good." I think they are claiming that there is no better beer being brewed in the world right now, than what is being produced here in the US. I almost completely agree. The only exception is maybe Belgium, and their exotic ales, however, Brewery Ommegang has made the gap very small these days. Anyway, USA is killing it, and the beer buffet out there has something great for everyone. The only criticism of the referenced blog below would be that a reader could get the impression that they were placing Heady head-to-head with the likes of Rogue Dead Guy Ale. That would be like comparing an 18 year aged cheddar to light orange ballpark nacho melt. Not that there is anything wrong with either. We all have our favorites, and it's nice that the writer below is proud and loyal to the other great beers out there, and publishes their support. This makes the world go round, and keeps all of these committed brewers thriving. I enjoy them all too.

The benchmark everything else. Truly in a class of it's own.

4.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Quick review. There's nothing I can say here that hasn't already been said. This brew is a classic for a reason, one of the very best IPA offerings that I've tasted.

Simply the greatest IPA on the market. Only bummer is that even though I live in West Rutland, VT, I have drive north to find it as well as making sure I hit the store at the right time. All in all, it's worth the drive and the wait. This beer is definitely worth the top of the list rating it enjoys.

4.77/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an incredible IPA. I am not sure it's worth the hype. There are others that are just as good. Dogfish Head 90 Minute, Wachusetts Larry, Bells Two Hearted, Rogue Dead Guy Ale, ADK Super Dort and Foley Brothers Fair Maiden are all equally good. Hard to tell for certain which is best. They are all good in there own right.

4.84/5  rDev +2.3%

Not really an IPA guy but it was by far the best IPA I have had. Great hoppy taste at beginning with a smoothe finish.

4.96/5  rDev +4.9%

My buddy gave me this beer when I got back form Texas back in November 2014. This is an amazing DIPA. Amazing crisp taste with hints of citrus, orange, and grapefruit. Left me wanting more! I need to visit Vermont and grab me some Heady!

3.97/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Not as good as i was expecting. Could use a bit more balance on the back end. Overall a juicy thick great beer.

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Ahhmazing. Used to live in Mass and made a trade with a friend from VT for Pliny the Elder

This is an exceptional beer. Even friends who are not big fans of IPAs respect this beer for its nuance and complexity. This is really an outstanding achievement in beer making and a beer that I will enjoy at any opportunity. I've already done the road trip to norther Vermont a few times now and will do again.

This beer is perfection in a can. From the initial hoppy "kick" to the face. The taste slowly mellows out as the can empties. At the end you feel very very satisfied and slightly buzzed from the 8%.

2 words to describe this one.......none better!

This beer is like no other.

4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

Great balanced DIPA! It is certainly better in the can. I will definitely try to find more.

4.87/5  rDev +3%

Great smell of pine and grassy hops. Actually does taste better from the can! Great fresh bitter taste, citrus, exotic fruits, drank it when it was only 2 weeks old, probably the freshest I can get here in the Netherlands.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist