Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 1,992 | Hads: 11,158
4.92/5  rDev +5.4%

Whenever I make my way to Hill Farmstead, I always make sure to drop by and pick up a few Heady's, which says something because it is one of a few IPAs that can stand up to the HF IPAs.

A- It does look good, don't get me wrong. Pours with a dark honey hue and a decent head. A bit of hop particle floatin around, I personally don't mind, but it ought to be accounted for in the review.

S- Blows most IPAs out of the water. A wonderful combination of dank, earthiness and a blast of mango, passion fruit. A little bit of everything, all rolled into one.

T-More of the same. For me, the Mango, Passion fruit citrus notes dominate but I can still recognize some of the earthy qualities noticed in the nose. Dangerously drinkable for the ABV

M- Delivers everything to palette in a sufficient manner. Its all about the hops here

O- I can never say no to a Heady (863 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

A- Pours a honey gold, with a great head, slighly cloudy with sediment which is why it's 4.5 and not a 5. The floaties in there are a great part of this beer however. The Hop oils are apparent.

S- This beer has a nose that I wish every beer had. To me it seems like guava, passion fruit, citrus all in the front with a slight bit of that nice DIPA malty goodness you would want from a DIPA of this stature. It smells like everything I dream of and then some, probably one of the best beers I've ever smelled.

T- HT is one of the best balanced beers I have ever had. I get grapefruit in the front with those tropical fruit notes guiding to the goodness at the end. HT's are lighter then you expect and go down very smooth. It's way to easy to drink more of these then you thought you did.

M- HT starts out creamy and smooth, almost malty but finishes dry. Amazing mouth feel. Much smoother then most DIPA's

O- My fav-o-rit beer by far. This is my go to on a weekly basis. Being that the brewery is only 6 miles from my house, it's a no brainer on what I'm going to drink. Other then some small batch home brews by a few local VT brewers, this is the best beer I've ever had by far. Looking forward to more releases from the Alchemist in the future. I miss the wide range of Alchemist beers at the old pub. (1,308 characters)

4.56/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(can)
It smells like the tears of beer nerds who demand this be drunk from a glass.

Unknown appearance.

I get aluminum, nickel, and other polycarbonates. I think I can taste the black ink from the screen printing, and the dirt left over from transportation around the rim. Quite interesting, really.

(glass)
Big pine and citrus coming off of this. It’s dank, sweet, glorious, and un believably enticing.

Very hazy and straw yellow in color and there are little floaters in it. It has a gorgeous fluffy white head with lacing that sticks to the side of the glass. Not the best looking beer, but one of the best looking heads I have ever seen. It is my hope that they want you to drink this out of the can due to the appearance being hazy and somewhat unattractive.

A tidal force of hops washes over my palate.. This beer is essentially hop juice. I think those floaters were bits of hop particles (after reading the description on the can, I think I’m right). Big big pine, citrus, pineapple, guava, and papaya. It has a smooth, creamy mouthfeel with minimal carbonation and a medium body. This beer is a pure delight to behold, and absolutely is a work of art.

Note: The can review was a joke, I drank half from the can, then poured the rest into a glass to enjoy for comparison. I did find the flavors stronger when drinking form the can, it was interesting. (1,369 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -12.4%

murky orange pour - had 2 cans, drinking this one from a glass because i can.. fuck you :) ... half inch of off-white head, thick lacing.
floral hops from halfway through flicking the tab open. grapefruit, citrus, very floral and earthy.
slightly bitter up front, citrus hops, hint of caramel.. mainly hops upon hops of flavor.

medium body, nice carbonation, slightly creamy on lips. a tiny bit overhype honestly, but a damn good beer nonetheless. sweet, citrus, hoppy - that's all i really want in ipa and that's what they are offering! (538 characters)

4.54/5  rDev -2.8%

Can shared by Mike. Thanks! Pours dark golden with off white head. Aroma is sick. And by that I mean awesome. Wet resiny sticky hops dominate the nose. Flavor follows the nose and has a great meaty malt backbone to back it up. Medium mouthfeel. This tastes amazing. Its worthy of all the praise it gets. Just awesome. (317 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours very cloudy light orange with a huge 2 finger foamy snow white head that was full of bubbles and faded slowly, leaving very good foamy lacing.

Smells incredible; the pine and fresh citrus is like sticking your nose in a hop and then a tangerine. Aroma is sweet and hoppy, with grapefruit, orange, pineapple, tangerine, mango, citrus hops, fresh piney hops, caramel, floral hops, toasted grains, tea leaf, herbs and light spices like pepper, coriander and brown sugar or cinnamon; just enough malt and grains to make this a perfect smelling IPA – literally perfection.

Tastes is equally as awesome, sweet and hoppy with grapefruit, orange, pineapple, lemon, tangerine, mango, citrus hops, piney hops, caramel, floral hops, toasted grains, tea leaf, herbs, sweet malt, tart sour apple or pear, and spices like pepper, mint, coriander and brown sugar. Good God this is amazing, with such juicy citrus flavors that ooze orange and tangerine with a slight grainy feel that allows the hops to shine and seem fresh picked with enough malt balance to flow down like a pale ale and hide the ABV completely.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, with a medium chewy body, average carbonation and a very bitter finish like you just drank a glass of grapefruit juice, yet it was still incredibly smooth and easy to drink. The citrus flavor that lingers almost tastes better than most other beers. The only shame of drinking it was that you could no longer smell it, but the total experience was worth it.

A hop lovers dream, this was almost as impressive out of a glass as it was out of the can where there is some mystique in play and bold instructions to drink it that way listed on the can. Get some if you can as this is one of the best beers on the planet. The focus that the brewery puts into brewing this beer perfectly has paid off as this could be the best beer that I’ve ever had.

2/3/13-thanks to my friend Jim for hooking me up with a 4 pack of cans...I cracked one today and it was so fresh and hoppy that this re-confirms that this is the best beer that I've ever had. Drank it from the can and the piney and floral hop flavors were so strong yet so smooth that I had to force myself to slow down so I could savor every sip. (2,237 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

WOW! This is an exceptionally well hopped pale ale. I wish I could get it all the time. It is cloudy orange with a finger of head. Highly carbonated with a full complement of hop aromatics. Lower bitterness than I was expecting from a imperial IPA. WOW! (253 characters)

4.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Had two glasses of this on my birthday. If this even wasn't in the afternoon and I didn't have to drive myself home I'd have had quite a few more.

A - This thing looks like a cider really. Dark orange and copper highlights with what also looks like pulp. Very cloudy and opaque. The head consists of what you would expect on a latte, literally it looks like there is cinnamon in it. Lacing caked all over the glass. Perfect looking DIPA.

S - Suprisingly I actually picked up pale malts on the first whiff. But really this thing is hopped to the hilt. Grapefruit, flower petals, and a bit of honey.

T - Mango and grapefruit overload. Orange peel, honey, and some subdued pine flavor. There's a wave of bitterness on the end of flavor with no drying effect that some hop bombs can do. No booze tasted at all.

M - Saturating. Mouth coated with the amazing fruit flavor and stickyness of the hop. High carbonation and low to medium bodied. Could easily drink 4 or more of these until the booze would start to kick in.

O - This is a heady DIPA for sure. Incredible fruit profile and bitterness. Taste more fruit than hops but nonetheless it was a pleasure to consume. Cant think of a much better beer to have on my birthday. (1,225 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

Thanks ZGunder you made my week with these heady toppers!

A- Pours a honey gold, with a nice 2 inch head, slighly murky with sediment which is why it gets a 4 and not a 5, although i could care less about the floaties in there.

S- WOW this this beer has a nose and a half, guava, passion fruit, citrus all in the front with a slight bit of that nice funk you would expect from a DIPA of this stature. It smells like my dreams and then some, probably one of the best noses I've ever smelled.

T- Man this thing kills other DIP's without even trying, i'm getting grapefruit in the front with those tropical fruit notes guiding to the funky goodness that lies in the end. It taste so good i even enjoy belching it out. Finishes slightly bitter but it doesn't sit heavy in your stomach, you could drink a few of these and not notice how fast they go.

M- Creamy almost malty but finishes dry, outstanding once again!

O- Amazing beer, one that i intend to drink for the rest of my life. (984 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks goes out to YaKnowBrady for sending me a few cans of this for the sole reason that I had never ticked it before! Thanks immensely my friend! Served from can into an oversized wine glass. Poured red-orange with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, fruit, and fruit hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, onion hop, earth, and fruit hop. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly great brew. I am so excited I was finally able to try this one now that they can it. Wow! What a beer it was… It had some aspects that reminded me of Gubna, but had a huge amount of balance going on to keep your palate nice and happy so it did not succumb to a palate hop onslaught. Very well balanced and inviting after each sip. You know what… Notre Dame is playing Navy right now as I’m typing this up on my laptop, I think I will have another one of these right now straight from the can! Cheers! (1,097 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -9.6%

Can shared on the bus during RBSG 2012. Pours clear gold with a sudsy white head. Huge tropical and citrus aroma, grapefruit, peach, orange peel, pineapple. Nice blend of resin, pine and acidic citrus notes in the flavor. Dry bitter finish. Great DIPA, promoting big hoppy flavors instead of malt and booze. (307 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +1.7%

a: Pale gold to deep gold in color, with a significant, long lasting head. A small amount of carbonation and a bit of lacing.

s: Strong smell of and citrus up front (with a bit of pine nuts), in the middle and in the end.

t: Citrusy taste up front that fades into a bit of a hoppy bite at the very end, which lingers. Not too much malt to balance it out, but a bit.

m: Good, but the bitterness is a limiting factor (depending on what your tastes are). Not too carbonated.

d: A very good beer, and one I have the good luck to live close enough to Vermont to get it pretty regularly. Best fresh, and this one was a few weeks old. (632 characters)

4.67/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours wonderfully in my goblet style glass. Nice, 2 finger white head. Amber golden in color & very cloudy.

S - Hops, juicy fruits like pineapple/orange/grapefruit and a lovely floral aroma.

T - The taste follows the smell. Loads of hops, fruit & an awesome bitter finish.

M - Crisp with a lighter body & high carbonation.

O - Definitely on par with Pliny. Never thought I'd say that. (396 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured into my Great Lakes snifter (against the advice of the can cuz I'm a badass)

A- Pours a glorious hazy golden with a 1 finger white head that doesnt leave too much lacing

S- Wonderful tropical hops and NOTHING ELSE just like God intended!

T- Remember those tropical hops from the smell? They're back and they brought friends. Holy tits this is potent with the tropical hops and I love it!

M- Very nice carbonation. No complaints but not quite perfect

O- I LOVE Heady Topper. Definitely better than Pliny. End of story (528 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +4.1%

My deepest thanks go out to Urbancaver. Because of his thoughtfulness and good nature, I was given the rare opportunity to try this beer. I'm told it's about 5 days old at the time of this review.

I did NOT pour this beer from the can into a glass. I suppose it's a decision every beer drinker makes for him or herself, but I decided to respect the brewer and drink it the way they want me to drink it. Therefore, I simply had to give it an average rating on appearance (well, slightly above average since I liked the look of the can so much). Trust me, it was the only thing ``average'' about this beer.

After popping the top I took a whiff of the contents and was treated to a powerful salvo of ripe tropical fruit notes. The nose is dominated by oranges, peaches, pineapples, and grapefruit, all supported by a cake-like richness. There are also faint traces of lemon and pine. It simply smells awesome!

The body seems full for this style and the mouthfeel is firm and somewhat creamy. Almost syrupy. The flavor is simply off-the-charts good. If there's one thing I don't like in a big IIPA, it's excessive sweetness. For me, sweetness and extreme bitterness combine to create a medicinal flavor that I find unappetizing. This beer seems to have ZERO sweetness, even as it warms. There's just barely enough malt sweetness to smooth out the hoppy bitterness.

As for that hop bitterness, the flavor starts off as a smooth apricot-like taste and gradually builds in hop intensity. There is no place on the palate where the flavor just dies on you. Instead, it just keeps growing in intensity all the way across the palate, developing so quickly that I can hardly process it. To the best of my ability, I detect soft floweriness up front, crisp citrus-like notes of orange and grapefruit at mid-palate, and stringent pine-like notes in the back. There is no trace of booze on the back of the palate either. There is just a lingering finish that seems to involve every hop flavor you've ever tasted. The drinkability is amazing for such a flavorful IIPA. You KNOW it's very bitter, but it tastes so good that you don't care. You just sip it and marvel at the flavor.

What can I say? This beer is amazing and, as usual, I can see why beeradvocates love it so dearly. Truth be told, it doesn't taste all that different than, say, Stone Ruination. It is just so damn perfectly dialed-in. There is no excess sweetness, a perfect balance of hop flavors, and it pushes every button on your palate. How a beer this bitter can be this drinkable is beyond me. I wish I could somehow do a head-to-head comparison between this and Pliny the Elder (it's been so long since I've had it), but living in Kentucky makes it nearly impossible to get both beers fresh at the same time. Heady Topper is probably one of the 3 or 4 most enjoyable beers I have ever had. (2,850 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Pours a hazy orange, sunset with snowflake particles swimming around. A big 3" froth comes after the pour and stays around like your annoying uncle on the holidays.

S - Pine hops with a citrus zest. Just a nice combination of those 2 scents and not much else. Which is quite nice for an IPA.

T - Citrus hits first and then the pine comes in. A really nice blend but the pine wins the overall fight.

M - Sticky with solid hop aftertaste and medium carbonation.

O - A very good IPA. I highly recommend it. (515 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -4.3%

an affordable can at farmhouse tap in burlington. they say drink it from the can, but i poured it for more careful study. it looks lovely, hazy, definitely unfiltered. radiant hay color with thick white suds floating on top that leave some mean lacing as it drinks. smells like quite the hop bouquet. grapefruit and spruce are the most prominent hop esters im picking up, but there are many. it tastes like it smells, deep and complex, worthy of patient consumption. its fruity, in addition to citrus there is also nectarine and mandarin orange on my tongue. its got upbeat carbonation which keeps its oily medium taffy sticky body moving along. the aftertaste is long and bittersweet, as it should be. alcohol is well hidden in taste, but can certainly be felt. this is one hell of a big ipa, and i dont want to hear anymore debate about pliny/heady, because both are outstanding and distinct brews, and that should suffice for all of us. (939 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

16 0z can was poured into a tulip glass. I have had it out of the can plenty of times and respect the brewery to drink it out of the can except for this one time.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head. It is a pale orange yellow color with some clarity and signs of carbonation coming up through the glass. Super nice lacing on the glass as the beer was drank too.

Smell: Lots of citrus on the nose. Plenty of grapefruit and tangerine aromas from the hops. Bready and caramel notes in there to balance it off as well.

Taste: Super citrus flavors. Tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, mangos, etc. The breadiness and caramel malts balance this beer out well where there is a subtle lingering bitterness and the alcohol is not at all detectable.

Mouthfeel: silky smooth, medium to full bodied, medium carbonation, some nice subtle bitterness, and easy to drink.

Overall: Pretty solid DIPA. This is one a person should not pass and order one at the bar or buy a can or four pack. Very delicious and loved by all. (1,022 characters)

4.67/5  rDev 0%

Tasted and smelled from the can as per the directions. Poured for a appearance afterwards.

A - Hazy apricot cider.  Great head; a creamy cap of bone white foam with great retention and lace.

S - Beautiful, fresh, leafy green hop aroma with lemon zest and orange accents.

T - Sweet caramel malt sets the stage for a full bodied, rolling herbal bitterness, and a center loaded with bitter citrus fruits.  Woody hops linger long after the sweetness of the malt subsides.

M - Full bodied for the style with nice carbonation.

O - An outstanding DIPA that's worth the hype imho.  (581 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +1.1%

Big Thanks to MarkF150. Believe this was canned 8/9

A: Very cloudy honey orange with a cream colored head. Good retention. Very nice lacing.

S: Lots of sweet tropical fruits, mango, papaya, pineapple. Simcoe hops? Sweet malty backbone.

T: Follows the nose. Again, all those kinds of hop flavors I love and nice bitter bite in the finish. Not overpowering though. The sweetness helps balance it out as does the carmel malt backbone which I feel is bigger than it really tastes. Finishes fairly dry, maybe a little too dry. That would be only real complaint in the taste department.

M: Medium body. Average to lower carbonation. Feels really slick with all the hop oils.

O: Good drinkability. A world class IIPA. Right up there with Pliny, Hopslam, Abrasive and Apocalypse Cow in my book. (792 characters)

In my top 3 all time favorite beers. FIghts for the number 1 spot But I think it might be one of the ebst beers

DOnt be decieved by the can!

IMPOSSIBLE to get outside of northern vermont (Stowe, Burlington, Montpelier)

Case costs $72 for 24 16 oz beers. WOrth every penny

Only on draft in 2 places that i know of. THe cannery in Waterbury, and Prohibition Pig, the onld brewery (381 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +4.5%

I was able to buy a couple 4-packs of this cult legend during a recent trip to Stowe, Vermont. No buyer's remorse at all! I enjoyed Heady straight from the can–as recommended by the brewery right on the can–but I did have a single serving decanted into a wine glass (I do prefer drinking it straight from the can).

Appearance (5/5): Emblazoned right on the top rim of each Heady tallboy are the words "Drink From the Can!" The rationale is explained on the back of what I think may be the coolest looking can I've ever come across: the Heady Topper graphic, depicting a rosy-cheeked man downing a can of the brew whilst hops seem to be steaming from the top of his head, has such a classic look. Really cool stuff. If you pour the beer into your favorite glass, you'll find that Heady is an excellent looking beer: it is peach-hued, opaque (unfiltered and unpasteurized), and is topped by a pillowy, two-finger, white head of foam. Beautiful stuff, whether you decide to drink from the can or decant it.

Smell (4.5/5): The nose on this beer is very good: notes of pine, mango, pineapple, apricot, and, of course, grapefruit spring from the can. Floral. A little sweetness is mixed in there, too, and is reminiscent of dried tropical fruit. The nose isn't perfect, though; this being a canned brew that should be consumed from the can, it's a tad harder to smell the bouquet.

Taste (5/5): The flavor is super, super hoppy. Dominant flavors are: grapefruit, mango, pine, pineapple. It's fairly dry, but fruity hops lend a nice juiciness and mild sweetness. While heavily hopped, Heady isn't super bitter or abrasive; the bitterness comes on slowly and builds as the resinous hop oils–strong in this brew–coat the tongue with each sip. Though strong, alcohol is not noticeable at all in the flavor.

Mouthfeel (5/5): Heady's a remarkably smooth brew. Medium-light carbonation and medium body seem to suit the flavor profile perfectly. The superb, mildly creamy mouthfeel makes a high-flying hop journey as smooth and clean as possible.

Overall (5/5): An incredible hop experience, I must say. Big, big flavors all over the place. The most serious hop head will appreciate this beer the most and likely will be in a state of hop nirvana. Non-hop heads won't know what hit them. (2,289 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +4.7%

Yes I have enjoyed it straight from the can, but today I am reviewing in a glass.

Pours a straw colored gold, mostly clear with a little bit of haze. Foamy white head on top begins to fall quickly. Decent lacing.

Intensely pungent grapefruit aroma explodes out of the glass. You can smell it from 5 feet away. All citrus here, rich and thick in the air. Just a hint of malty sweetness underneath reminds me this in not in fact a freshly sliced grapefruit.

Sweet malt on the palate with sharp grapefruit citrus dominating the taste buds. Smooth even though my mouth is drenched in sweet citrus. There is hop bitterness in there but I forget all about it as I swim through the rich grapefruit flavors.

Slightly dry finish, crisp grapefruit aftertaste. Clean citrus lingers on the palate long after the previous sip.

There is an underlying sweetness to this beer that keeps it from being a straight up grapefruit bomb, but it finishes dry and it is not cloying. Extremely refreshing and nearly overwhelming with hop flavors - if there was a flavor I would want to drown in this would be it. (1,092 characters)

4.52/5  rDev -3.2%

My buddy went up to Vermont this past month and was lucky enough to pick up a 6pack for himself and gave me one!

A-Two finger head dissipated quickly back into the beer. Not to much lacing going on either. Unfiltered beer with a off amber brown color. Looks heady for a unfiltered double IPA!

S-Earthy grapefruit aroma dominates. Mild lemon/citrus notes with the caramel malts behind it all. Smells great!

T-Get hops throughout the whole palate. The hops arent too overwhelming however. Everything is cohesive until the end where the hops hit the back of the tongue. Leaves great after taste. Get all that earthy citrus hops found in the nose. Has a nice caramel malt profile to help subdue the hoppiness in this beer!

M-Has great mouthfeel. Love unfiltered beers. Slighty chewy. Good carbonation in this.

O-Great beer. Has everything you are looking for in a double IPA! Only thing that its lacking is in the appearance with the minute head retention. As long as the beer smells appetizing and taste good I am happy so nothing to worry about in this beer! (1,061 characters)

4.55/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Rob for acquiring this one. Really cool can, by the way, although I didn't heed the advice to drink from it.

Poured a very hazy orange with a big billowing head that receeded slowly with ample lacing.

Pine and ripe tropical fruit in the smell, and that's where the ride started and it didn't end until the glass was emptied, or nearly emptied sans the heavy sedimentation that had settled into the bottom of the glasses. Smells of pine, tropical fruits, peppery even..almost like the faint cordite that lingers in the air after fireworks.

Flavors of tropical elements, also mint, sap resin, canteloupe, star fruits, watermelon rind..this fella is chaotic, but oh it's flavorful. Hints of the alcohol poking through. Mouthfeel is firm and zesty, excellent carbonation, very well crafted.

This one takes you for quite a ride but in the end it's simply refreshing and tasty.

Very nice. (898 characters)

Heady Topper from The Alchemist