Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 1,985 | Hads: 11,142
4.72/5  rDev +1.1%

scored a couple 4-packs and smuggled them back to PA. pint can into flying dog tulip. no canned on date.

A: a very hazy body that is a pale orange color. head is white, but not bright. big bubbles. good retention and lacing. almost too hazy, but i guess it must be fresh then.

S: pine. grapefruit. very inviting. kiwis. melon. but mostly pine. lots and lots of pine. very good.

T: a very american hop profile is thorough. the palate is actually sticky. enough sweet malt/caramel flavor is back there, but just detectable towards the finish. a little vanilla? bitterness lingers into the finish but is not over-cloying.

M: mild carbonation on a full bodied IPA.

D: like the can says, dangerously drinkable. hands down top 3 DIPA's i can just pick up and enjoy several without being overwhelmed. just lovely. (816 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

This is incredible stuff, this beer was drank mostly from the can... only poured a sample of it out to enjoy the orange yellow color of it with a nice looking white head on top. Had a nice unfiltered cloudiness to it also. The smell of the beer is very hoppy, lots of pine aromas in it with the delicate floral and citrusy notes in there as well. The taste is probably worthy of a 5.5 honestly. There is no doubt that this has some of the best transitions of flavors I've had from any IPA. There is a huge rush of floral sweet citrus notes on the tongue in the very beginning, as the liquid settles there is a very subtle burst of malts on the tongue right before the aggressive pine resin starts to claw away at your taste buds. The mouthfeel is smoothly carbonated making this beer very easy to drink, it's medium bodied and has a nice dry finish to it. Overall this is something very special, The people up at Alchemist aren't screwing around here, they are setting out to make the best IPA in the world and I would say that they just might have it. This is a beer I would drive to Vermont to get cases of. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Looking forward to drinking the next 3 in the pack. (1,193 characters)

4.67/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to a great friend for sharing with me.

Nice frothy snow white head, leaves brief sheets of lacing down glass. Opaque orangish hue with a charming rustic feel to it.

WOWY WOW WOW WOW! This is a citrus bomb in a can, me likey. Orangey pineapple mango piney resony goodness.

This like an adult version of a creamcicle, abundant sweet orange grapefruity goodness. Packs a wallop on the bitterness too. Touch of booze (in a good way) gives way to a hint of grainy malt. Long citrus finish and smoooth bittering.

Creamy smooth with excellant carbonation.

Loved it, ranks up with the exsellant boyking batches and the pliney I had last fathers day. I need a friend in that part of the country to ship. (706 characters)

4.59/5  rDev -1.7%

A: golden straw colored with a light eggshell colored head

S: smelled strongly of hops, also scents of grass, citrus, lemongrass, light scents of orange peel

T: the taste of fresh hops really come through, with hints sweet pine and grass each sip starts off lightly sweet and ends crisp and bitter

M: great balanced mouthfeel, on the thinner side considering an 8% abv

O: overall a great D-IPA, very well balanced not too much alcohol taste, perfect on a hot summer day, wish it was more readily available (510 characters)

I got no bad words about it. But this is theee best beer that I ever drink in my holler life of travelling the world. And I have to say that the alchemist brewery did an exceptional job on this unique beer. For those that can handle the heady topper, maybe you should try the walden. That is a brew made by the alchemist and hill farm brewery together. Very similar to heady topper but much lite. I wish the alchemist made more then 1800 cans of week so that other stores closer to my house would be able to have them.
Thank you. (529 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -18%

Sorry, I had to pour into the glass despite the can's pleading to drink directly. Thick, slowly receding head. Leaves plenty of chunky, blanketing lace. Cloudy, dark gold color.

Very strong evergreen hop smell. Prickly with a touch of citrus rind. Like smelling a bag of hop pellets.

Extraordinarily bitter. Starts off fairly neutrally with a bit of mild pale malt. Still this is a bitter, bitter hop bomb. Be prepared to pucker up. Hop heads shall rejoice, but I think this might be too much of a good thing (and I lean towards more hoppy beers). The body is predictable and appropriate for the style.

I was very excited to find this beer in Boston, but its hype exceeds my expectations. (692 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

As instructed, I drank this AMAZING beer directly from the can as well as from a tulip glass. Hands-down, no-doubt one of my Top 3 IPAs of all-time...

Appearance - 4.5 only because the beer does show a lot of sediment that settles at the bottom of the can/glass, but I actually love a beer that has a little "meat on the bones". After pouring in a tulip glass, there was a 2 finger, slightly off-white, tight bubble formation head.

Smell - OUT OF THIS WORLD! There are huge wafts of pineapple and grapefruit to this beer. Heady Topper has an uncanny ability to perfectly mesh the fruit scent with fresh, piney hops. If I were a Genie, I would love to live in this can as my bottle.

Taste - Explosion of hops that resonates in your mouth, perfectly balanced by the slightly-bready malts. And when I say "balanced", I am generously favoring the highly-potent fruity hoppy goodness of this beer. A MUST have. I forgot to mention, one can't even taste the whopping 8% ABV from this beer due to its' heavenly hops.

Mouthfeel - This unpasturized beer has a medium-bodied mouthfeel. Certainly not as light as your typical APA/IPA or as heavy and thick as a Porter/Bock, etc... but it does feel semi-dry after drinking. Mouthfeel and Appearance are overwhelmed by this beer's IMMENSE smell and taste.

Overall, in my opinion, any beer connoisseur needs to add this beer to their beer-"bucket list"... ESPECIALLY for hopheads. (1,421 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

Yesterday, HT was a beer I hoped to try some day. Today, after a tasting, HT is the best beer I've ever had. Thanks to Brandon for sharing a 4-pack, of which I greedily and surreptitiously consumed more than my fair share.

Utterly blown away that a beer can be this hoppy, this alcoholic, and this smooth and easy to drink. The first sip almost made me cry. There is not a lot I can add after 750+ reviews that hasn't been said. Is there such a thing as perfection? I don't know. But if perfection means a beer can't be improved on, this might be perfect. I don't know how you improve on it....except to relocate the Alchemist to Minnesota so I have easy and frequent access to it.

A day later I'm still thinking about this beer and trying to figure out how to get some. I suppose this is the way junkies feel about heroin. I wonder if that stuff's any good....

I'm agnostic, but if there is a (non-Mormon) God, may he bless the Alchemist, and watch over them so they can keep making this incredible beer. (1,010 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +3.2%

What a beer!!!
Could not help, but to pour it for a review.
It has a cloudy medium gold color and builds a creamy white head, witch leaves good lacing.
The smell is full of citrusy, fruity and flowery hops.
The taste is an incredible abundance of hop flavors, yet balanced be just enough malt, not to be overpowering. Great mouthfeel and drinkability makes this one probably the best I have tasted yet.
Fantastic beer and I think my personal beer high score!!! (460 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Reviewed as drank from the can, as it is made abundantly clear that this is the way to drink it.

A - Since I've had this before and poured it into a glass, and I'm forced to give an appearance score, AND I'm not inclined to base an appearance score off of can art, I recall it being good as far as head, color, and lacing, but a bit cloudy, likely since the can makes it hard to see when to stop pouring to keep the sediment out of the glass.

The rest of this review is from the current can.

S - You get a hint of complex hop aroma from the mouth of the can that smells quite good, but it is obscured by the metallic smell of the can. Points off for that.

T - Whoa. This is the best tasting IPA I've had. It manages to be dank, resiny, citrusy, bright, and with enough of a backbone to not have the hops overwhelm. The hops linger for a minute or so, and then they give way to the honey malt flavor, which lingers a good while longer. You can't really peg a particular hop flavor on this one; the hop profile is far too complex, but it melds together so well that you get all of the flavors without anything sticking out as unbalanced or out of place. Truly remarkable.

M - Nice carbonation, not thick by any means. Perfect mouthfeel to deliver the experience.

O - This is a wonderful beer, head and shoulders above any other IIPA I've had. It loses points for the can thing not really being my bag, and because the amazing flavors don't quite translate to the nose, but this is still the IIPA that beats all the others. Totally worth the hype, and worth seeking out. This beer was painstakingly crafted to not be too boozy, nor too hoppy, nor too malty, and they've absolutely nailed it. The taste is incomparable for the style. (1,738 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +0.6%

Had on Tap at the Blind Tiger some months back... from notes

A- Cloudy orange appearance with some good head developed. Looks like grapefruit juice that has settled and is sitting out.

S- Tons of tropical fruit smells in the nose. This is a very good smelling DIPA.

T- Love the fact that there isn't too much of that caramel backbone in most DIPAs that I avoid and that the hops are in the forefront of the beer's taste. It's a tad bit unbalanced but I don't mind it if I'm drinking one can but I would have to stop after the 2nd can because the alcohol isn't completely hidden.

M- Heavy, almost syrupy beer. Love it.

O- This isn't the perfect beer to me. The only issue I have with it is the fact that I can taste the alcohol prominently due to the fact that they put in less malts to balance. It would have killed if it had no alcohol trace like the Pliny but at the same time the taste and nose blows virtually all other DIPAs. But it's still damn tasty but I will stop at only drinking one per session and then focus on a more balanced IPA or DIPA such as what Hill Farmstead occurs. (1,094 characters)

This beer was kind of hard to review. The can is stamped all over with "Drink from can" so that is how I had it. Very hard to rate appearance with a beer in a can. So, I'll give it a 4.0, assuming from the rest of the characteristics that it would look good in a glass.

Aroma coming out the can was almost all grapefruit.

Taste was full of hops, yet had a nice caramel base underneath that really added balance. Very citrusy, some pine and cut grass.

Mouthfeel was very thick. Lots of hop-oils that left a lasting sticky, dry feeling.

Overall, I liked this beer a lot - not sure about drinking from the can instead of pouring into a glass, however that is how the brewer recommended so who am I to argue? (709 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +5.4%

App: well, it says right on the can to drink it from the can! So I did. But for review sake, I poured half of it in a glass to look at it. Appears pale yellow, light orange, cloudy, low carbonation, slight lacing, the way I envision an IPA, like it should be, not deep orange.

Smell: a bouquet of hops! This beer has an incredible blend of flowery, aromatic hops, bitterness is there but at a minimum.

Taste: not too bitter at all but the best blend of hops I have ever had. There's a veiled sweetness, but the palate is completely enticed by the hop, citrus, and floral profile. If I didn't know any better I would say it has a "cannabis" flavor.

Mouthfeel: for it's style, excellent. Low carbonation lends itself to an astringency. But there's also a classic lager maltiness that keeps it down to earth. If there's ANY downside, just a wee bit hoppy, but I'm not complaining.

Overall: hard to argue that Heady Topper is the best Double IPA I have ever had or will have. I've had good one's but I have to agree with my fellow beer aficianados out there...WOW! (1,065 characters)

My first review of a beer I choose this one, kindly sent fresh from the northeast. I preface, this offering is being tasted on an afternoon where, sometime following this review i will be trying my first Pliny TE (having arrived simultaneously).. Heady Topper: As a lover of American craft brew for 3 years and having tried, in my mind, a good deal of DIPA's (considering I didn't become a craft beer advocate until relocating to Texas oddly enough), I am more than enthusiastic about this tasting.The hop bouquet is blowing my mind, and in a well-balanced way. Expectations of this beer are met and slightly exceeded (they were phenomenal expectations prior to sampling). Pineapple/ citrusy greatness abounds. With this beer it seems as if I've never appreciated the mouthfeel of this style until now. There is no drawback here. Tasty beyond belief. Balance is impeccable, yet i need to stress how the hops flourish here... is this Simcoe and Citra? Well i dont know, that I wonder though. Anyway out of curiosity I poured a bit less than 1/4 of the can into a Chimay chalice for a visual. I really appreciate an unfiltered IPA made well (prior to this my affinity was for the now-shelved DFH Squall). Im liking the look of murky golden when I know everything else about it is sublime. The lacing with Heady is incredible, and again lacing is something I continue to appreciate but with this beer in a glass it was sticky city (and this from a beerman who spot cleans his glassware well). But yes I have to agree with the brewmastery of Alchemist where the recommendation is to drink from the can. Yes you will surely love it in glassware, but if you love true hop heaven, you will be best to press lips to aluminum. (1,717 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks cam!!!!

A - Unfiltered and unpasteurized is, I guess, what makes this beer so cloudy. But yeah, it's basically an opaque amber kind of color with a substantial white head that leaves a thick film. Really good looking.

S - Tropical fruits, citrus (orange), grass. It's a complex nose and very dynamic with temperature.

T - A good fruity flavor that has just a perfect amount of balancing bitterness. It's sweet (pineapple), for sure, and like the nose, different characteristics come to the fore as it warms. A really well balanced and complex drink

M - It's definitely got a full body to it, but it's not too thick. It's very smooth, and a touch drying

O - Look. My memory's not great, but this is one the best hoppy beers I've had. I wish I could stock my fridge all the time with it. It really approaches perfection as much as you can reasonably expect something to. It's a benchmark kind of beer. (912 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

I had heard alot about Alchemist in the beer world and had yet to try any of their beers. The other day I was in Waterburry and decided to find their brewery. Apparently the brew pub was flooded badly during hurricane Irene along with the rest of Waterburry. Luckilly their new 15 barrel canning brewery was not damaged and now produces Heady topper exclusively. I went into their store and they were selling Heady Topper for $12 a 4-pack as well as a Glutein-free saison, but I was only interested in the Heady Topper, which is fairly hard to get a hold of unless you are in the Waterburry/Burlington area of Vermont. I live in north eastern Vermont and I hadn't seen it around, but have heard it can cost alot more than $3 a can in some gas stations.
I have allready drank the first 3 cans on a camping trip so iv'e decided to review my final can. The can says not to pour it out into a glass because it releases the essential hop aromas that they wish to retain. I decided to pour about a 1/3 of it into my 16 oz Long Trail pint glas just to see what it looks like. It has a light brown oily look to it with a good amount of head when poured quicly but it then disipates to just about a quarter inch or so. There is no comparison in smell between the can and when you pour it into a glass. When you first open the can and you put your nose to it and strongly inhale, it gives off a fantastic potent citrus piney smell that is boarderline orgasmic. If I could live in the can I would. Its similar to when I home brew and I take a big whiff of a bag of Cascade Hops, but you can smell the different layers of Hops, which is quite complex.
I am a big fan of IPA's and this double IPA does not disapoint. The taste is fantastic, at 8% you don't taste any alcohol that you would expect at a 8% ABV. The reason is the hops, you definitely taste hops, very crisp clean taste of citrus and pine, but very fresh at the back end, it doesn't have the bad sour after taste like some IPA's. I definitely do recomend you listen to the brewer and drink it out of a can, you just don't get the same experience out of a glass, which makes me wonder if I would order it at a bar, but probably I would because even out of a glass you would be getting a fantastic beer. I was skeptical about all the hype that this beer was getting, but I have to say this product definitley lives up to it. I'm never good at picking a favorite anything, but this would definitely be in my top 3, an absolute must try. (2,488 characters)

Had on Tap at the Blind Tiger some months back... from notes

A- a cloudy pale straw unfiltered delight

S- juicy, fruity, hops, hops and more hops. Pine, some grapefruit and a little orange peel. Also a touch of malt

T- just simply unbelievable. a hop head's wet dream

M- This is were this beer shines. Its so unbelievably smooth and well balanced

O- This is a perfect beer. Nothing else comes close. Was lucky enough to have side by side with Lawson's 'Double Sunshine', Hill Farmstead 'Galaxy' and 'Society #3' and Heady is better hands down. (550 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -9%

Big thanks to Celtic001 for a couple of these sent my way. I was so excited for the arrival of these, that once they were chilled to perfection, they disappeared quickly. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a murky dark orange/gold with a thick lustrous off-white head on top.

Slick yet heavy feel. Lightly oily on the back end. Big bitter pop of juicy hops. Full of lush flavor of bitter fruits, semi-sweet syrup on finish. White peppery "burn" in the midst, but this is bitter all out. Surprisingly an easy finish with such a boisterous profile. Great beer. Not my top IIPA, but by the far the best from a can. (610 characters)

Let me tell you about the mythical adventure that this beer bestowed upon me....

After trolling for this beverage, I was luckily blessed with the notification that an coworker (who will remain nameless but will never be forgotten) was traveling north for vacation. I politely asked if he would be traveling through Vermont on his trip and gave the coordinates of the location where this beverage could be obtained...My expectations were low but I remained hopeful.

Today at work I asked if he struck out. To my delight he informed me that not only did he not strikeout, he hit the motherload. He had 40 16 oz cans on ice in the back of his chariot. After work, we met in the parking lot with trunks open to exchange cash for services rendered. I immediately rushed home, called my delinquent brother who had been previously informed about the intricate details of the spoken beer.

Now for the review....I cracked my first beer at 17:36 EST. Initial waft was heavenly and I achieved 1/2 a stock. For those that don't know that is a semi...First sip and holy hopness my 1/2 stock had turned to full blown chub. I called my brother immediately and found he was in route. Sip after sip it got better. I chose to drink from the can as recommended and the swill sucker punched me with a full hop slam to the face. I thought best IPA I ever had....

I waited for my brother to arrive and cleansed my palet. He arrived and I handed him a cold can and cracked my second. First sip and the same thing happened to him (1/2 stock for those keeping score). The reaction continued through his 1st can.

Honestly I can say this is the best beer I have had. I am a big IPA fan, and this blows them all away. Highly recommended but difficult to obtain. Sell your children if needed to obtain a case. (1,787 characters)

4.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A friend of mine gave this beer to me as a belated birthday present and I was a bit surprised that it came in the form of a can but don't let the can intimidate you.

Pours an extremely hazy orange, cloudy with chunks of unfiltered deliciousness. The appearance and posture of this beer is something really special. I have yet to come across an IPA that's looks this raw.

The smell is powerful with dominate c hops, floral, citrus, and pine are extremely noticeable. The aroma is just as intense as the appearance.

The taste is smooth yet incredibly hoppy, surprisingly drinkable for such a complex beer. The hops are very forward initially and then the it ends with that amazing dry hoppiness that I love ever so much.

One of the best beers to ever come out of a can and I can't wait to get my hands on some more. (817 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours from a 16 oz can, nice hazy orange color. Smell is of sweet hops. Taste is medium bodied, great balance to it. Not overly hoppy (as warned by the outside of the can) and has a great maltiness to it that most IPAs (specifically double IPAs) are missing. Delicious aftertaste.. I can see why this has such a high rating. Felt lucky to try this beer, definitely worth seeking out if you get a chance.. one of the better imperial IPAs I've gotten to try. (456 characters)

What more can I say about this beer? Drove 7 hrs from PA to the brewery. People were very nice there. Bought 3 cases, only trouble is you have to keep it cold because it is unpasturized I believe.

I had one beer out of the can and one poured out. The poured one is very cloudy like a hefe. Put it up to your nose and it may burn your eyebrows off it's so hoppy. First sip, pungent, piney hop flavor, balanced with the sweet citrus, but also tastes creamy like a hefe, whereas a lot of IPAs taste thinner. Nice thing about this beer is that some IPAs lose their hoppiness the closer you get to the end of your glass. Not this one. As the advertising says, wave after wave of hoppiness till the finish. Very very enjoyable, if you have a free weekend and don't mind road trips, go seek this beer out. Bring some coolers to keep it cold on the ride home! (852 characters)

4.54/5  rDev -2.8%

I got this beer from a fellow advocate beerMeFitz, thanks man! Following the advice of a friend, I poured some in my Half Acre Tulip and drank the rest in the can. The pour was a hazy beautiful orange color with very little head that disappeared rather quickly. I Swirled it around in the glass a little and noticed that the lacing was not as much as I expected.

The smell was an awesome smack in the face with freshness. The hops were bursting with pine and maybe some peach and grapefruit.

The first sip was pretty great and as I kept drinking I noticed a lot of the flavors developing. Being an 8% abv beer, I am very surprised how easy this was to drink. Their was a slight bitterness from the hops, but the aromatic hops cut right through that creating an extremely well balanced DIPA. Though the hops are definitely the star, I really appreciate the malty sweetness of this beer as well. An amazing beer and I can't wait to get another can of this ale. (960 characters)

4.59/5  rDev -1.7%

The verbiage on the can states that you should drink this right out of the can. Sacrilege to most beer geeks, but the request comes from the brewers and I understand why. I tasted this out of a snifter since it was being shared with a really good beer guy I met at the Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell. He brought a few cans in with him and he was sharing, so I was gratefully drinking.

Rating the appearance on this must be hard for those who heed the brewers' advice and drink from the can but in the snifter is was a nice golden orange, pretty darn clear with a half finder of foam. I would have liked for the head to stick around a little, but it didn't and no lacing was left behind.

The smell bursts with citrus and floral hop notes, with a biscuit malt backing. This is one of two beers that took me quite a while to actually drink since I was very content to just sit and sniff at it (Rochefort 10 was the other). The freshness of the hops is about as close as you're going to get to that smell you get crushing fresh cones in your hand.

This is where I fully understood why they want you to drink it from the can. The first sip delivers what you get in the nose, an amazing burst of fresh, citrus hops with wonderful floral notes. The biscuit continues to act as a great balance and the bitterness you'd expect never exerts its dominance. This is truly an extremely drinkable IPA. How they deliver the aroma and the flavors of the hops as successfully as they do without ratcheting the IBUs into the stratosphere is incredible. I'd love to see more IPAs built on this blueprint. Don't get me wrong; every now and then I want something that will destroy my palate, but I know that I can only drink one or two of them and then not much of anything else. With Heady Topper I imagine I could finish can after can...all day long. (1,834 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Despite the "directions" I've been conditioned to only drink BMC out of the can. Dark orange-yellow in color, looks like dirty orange juice, and murky. Poured with a short white foam that quickly reduced to a sturdy white cap that left sheets of sticky lacings on the glass.. Pungent citrus pineapple aroma with solid sweet, sticky malt and orange beneath and just the slightest hint of booze. The aroma almost has a feel to it. Like hop resin and dust in the sinuses. Amazing. Thick and chewy feel with dense, rich carbonation that lazily rolls through. Pungent citrus hop flavor from start to finish that are propped up by a strong sweet malty backbone.. Finishes with a lingering pine hop bitterness with a touch of citrus bitterness and booze. (747 characters)

Heady Topper from The Alchemist