Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 6,204
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

By far, the nicest look and feel of a bottled/canned IIPA. Big fluffy white head and oodles of glass sticking lace. Low-medium carbonation give it a very soft and creamy feel, particularly when pared with the medium+ body. Aroma and flavor are as good as you could want for the style. Lots of pine and a long lasting bitter finish. Residual sugars lean it a click toward the sweet side and there's a touch of alcohol in the finish. Big thanks to Chuk for securing this one for me.

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%

I thank my best friend for introducing me to craft beer and...heady topper. I now hate my best friend as I am now addicted and have to drive to Vermont and wait in line to buy heady topper!!

4.76/5  rDev +0.6%

First and foremost, gotta give a BIG thanks to DCLAguy11 for hooking me up with this brew I've been wanting to quaff for over a year. Seriously, thank you. I was really excited to try this. Re-he-he-heally excited.

So, to begin with, I drank this within 24 hours, making sure it was chilled. Drank straight from the can because, duh, it says 3 times around the rim, "DRINK FROM THE CAN!" With that, no color description.

The smell is best described as hop heaven. So tropical. Pineapple, grapefruit, some pine, peach, guava... Amazing.

The tasting? ... Oh man... Oh, man... OH MAN! So delicious! Trying my best not to be affected by hype and hopes, but it is very well balanced and like it says on the can, "wave after wave of hoppy goodness." The first sip gives off a very tropical dry hop taste. Guava, peach, ever so slight, along with papaya and pineapple. Then after the dry tropical taste, I get this wet, traditional IPA flavor; so full of grapefruit, pine, light lemon. That "second wave" is juicy. Finally, it just ends with a nice resiny mouthfeel that grows like a ghost pepper: more and more hops as you drink, but ever so subtle and leaves a craving for more sips.

I gotta say, this is indeed the best DIPA I've ever had. Here in Texas, I've had good Double IPAs, such as Deep Ellum's Dream Crusher & Karbach's Rodeo Clown (which are very very good), which are both amazing (can't help but praise), but this one takes the cake. It's just head and shoulders above the rest, and if I could get it here, I would probably go broke. Immediately after I drank this, I needed to continue the amazing feeling it left, a blonde ale I consider solid tasted like swill. This is both good and bad; it goes to showcase how well crafted Heady Topper is. This whole heartedly deserves the hype.

Citizens of Vermont: consider yourselves blessed.

4.12/5  rDev -12.9%

4.92/5  rDev +4%

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Overall: Fukin' Heady... "That's all I have to say about that", for now, haha... So good

Heady Topper from The Alchemist