Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 2,029 | Hads: 11,322
4.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Big ups to woodchopper for hooking me up

16oz can poured into a pint glass

Appearance : very cloudy golden color. A nice one finger white head forms after a less than aggressive pour that slowly dissipates to sticky lacing

Smell : lots of wonderful evergreen and pine tree aromas. Lots of pineapple and orange citrus aroms also abound

Taste : flavor is spot on one the most easy beer to fall in love with. Tons of orange citrus flavors and pineapple dominant. Finishes with mild hop bitterness. Strong malt backbone adds a pleasant sweetness

Mouthfeel : medium bodied brew with pleasant carbonation

Overall : I really love to drink this beer quickly I just can't seem to sip this one. I suggest drinking this one in a big gulps. Every BA owes it to themselves to seek this beer out. Make sure to get your self a 4pak because one is not enough

4.18/5  rDev -10.3%

On draft at Blind Tiger.

Beautiful pour, plenty of head with solid retention. Aroma holds fresh hops, pine, malt, citrus. Great balance of malts and hops in the flavor profile. Many Vermont IPAs fall into the West Coast style while Heady sits somewhere between East and West.

My biggest criticism of Heady Topper is its relatively thin body compared to other DIPAs. It's much improved on draft (vs the cans I've had), yet still lacking. But this is just splitting hairs -- HT is easily one of the best DIPAs brewed today.

4.59/5  rDev -1.5%

First - thanks to MRMOJORISIN for bringing cans to our annual ABB-festival.

A: Yes, I ignored the warnings on the can, and, after a couple sips, poured it into a mug. The result? A cloudy, hazy dark orange with a ton of stuff in suspension (given the smell, I'm guessing hop remnants of some sort). On top is a finger of white head.

S: The nose is intense. Dank. Perfumey. Loads of citrus (grapefruit & lemon zest) and pine (resin and needles). This is a hop lover's nose.

T: Citrus and tropical fruity hop goodness, with resiny, bitter pine and a hint of apricot. After the palate gets adjusted to that big hop onslaught, I sense a bit of sweeter malt underneath, but it's having trouble asserting itself here. Lingering lemony bitterness in the aftertaste, and a little bit of heat from the 8% ABV is felt in the belly. Man, I'll be tasting this lingering palate-coating hops assault for awhile.

M: The body is medium in heft with only a modest level of carbonation. Finishes dry - and bitter. Real bitter. Brings to mind my first tastes of Victory Hop Wallop or Stone Ruination many, many years ago.

O: This is great stuff for a hophead. I'm not sure you'd want to drink more than one or two of these, however, but if you like a fresh-tasting, hop-juiced beer, this should be right up your alley.

D: Certainly a very, very good IPA. Actually reminded me a lot of Sculpin, but more bitter. Would definitely like to have this one again.

4.92/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Poured a small amount in a glass to see this. Bright golden color with a small white head for as much as I poured. Drank the rest out of the can.

S: Smells like a bag of fresh hop pellets. Concentrated hop aroma mixed with pineapple, orange and wet pine. A superb example of what a DIPA should smell like.

M: I noticed the hops coating my mouth with with a thick layer of greatness which stuck around for what seemed like forever. The flavor of hops lingered in my mouth until I drank something else.

T: By far one of the most delicious DIPA's I have ever had. Starts out with a beautiful upfront pine flavor followed by an almost marshmallow like sweetness. As the can states, not much bitterness just layers and layers of hops. Citrus, passion fruit, and pine blast the palate with flavor. No alcohol present, I could enjoy these all day.

O: Incredible "drinkability" I think someone should give up their slogan. Haha. Really glad I got my hands on one of these, thanks to ixodus for throwing in this amazing extra. It was so good im going to have to get more at some point.

4.57/5  rDev -1.9%

Here we go. Taking a shot at reviewing this beast. Had many times before, first review of it.

Appearance: I generally drink from the can, but like most, I had to pour at least a little in the glass for comparison purposes. It is cloudy (unfiltered), but pours a beautiful pale orange color with great head and lacing.

Smell: Seriously dank. Tropical fruit. Big citrus. Some pine. Big peach notes. Serious depth and complexity. Pale, sweet balancing malt. Rivaling Surly Abrasive for best smelling beer ever.

Taste: Just wonderful. Maybe the slightest hair behind the nose, but very close. Big citrus and pine. Some Columbus-like vegetal notes. Big dankness again. Quite bitter, but the hop flavor dominates. Enough malt to balance, but this is a hop bomb.

Mouthfeel: Very long, dry finish. The hop flavor lingers on your palate forever. Carbonation is on point. Lifts the beer off the palate easily. Has to be the most drinkable 8% beer on the planet. All I can think about when I finish a can is opening another one.

Lives up to the hype and then some. Between Abner and Heady, I think I'll start searching for jobs in Vermont.

4.59/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Special thanks to a very kind individual who brought this back from vacation.

Pours a hazy golden peach color with a solid 2 finger head that dissipates slowly into a thick bubbly film on the surface. Leaves thick lacing on the glass.

Aroma is heavily grapefruit based, with dank resin and slightly sweet caramel malt giving a rich, decadent balance. By far one of the hoppiest beers I've smelled. Pine and mint surface as it warms, adding to the complexity.

The flavor is delicious! Tropical fruit, mangoes, pineapple, and a grapefruit tang assault the mouth, with a bready malt backbone providing a transition into pine, resin, and a slightly bitter finish. Apricot and tangerine add more depth of flavor to this fruit salad of a brew.

Body is moderate, with a fairly high level of carbonation and a warming alcohol finish.

Overall, the best dipa I've had to date. It's hop nectar to the extreme. I don't want the experience to end!

A- Chunks and chunks of floating shit in this brew. Looks like a lava lamp, or the Long Island sound during late summer. Nice foamy head at first, fades away and leaves a nice ring of lacing. I have never seen a beer this disgusting to look at. Looks like a bunch of lugees floating in my beer.

S- Fresh harvested honey, some hints of citrus, mostly orange and tangerine. Smells of wet hay, pineapple, mango and some funkiness. I really like this! It's not IIPA so to speak, but it's really fantastic! Lots of sweet maltiness.

T- Green tea, honey, mulch, and a ton of pineapple, mango, and citrus. Might be old, or maybe it's supposed to be this way.. not sure. Reminds me of Hopslam... lots of honey sweetness, with some citrus character. No real definition to this brew. Sweet and citrusy. It wishes it was DFH 120 without the balls to be such!

M- Caramel, rotted citrus peel and wet hay. By far the thickest IIPA I've ever experienced.

O- Horrible to look at, AMAZING to sit and smell... tastes sweet and has a nice honey citrus flavor. Almost too sweet for an IIPA. Not enough citrusy punch for my liking. Very unusual and glad I tried it. Big thanks to Ubufan2112 for hooking me up! I'd certainly love to try this one again. This woulda scored much higher if it weren't for the appearance.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a hazy, light tangerine with a two-finger bright white head. Good lacing and head retention. Aroma, wow. Fresh pineapple, mango, grapefruit and orange and just a touch of pine that is outdone by the huge, fresh fruity notes. This beer is so refreshingly hoppy. Big tropical fruit notes, pineapple is giant. Juciy, fresh grapefruit and orange notes. Nice pine notes add some bitterness too. Hugely hoppy, but with the perfect amount of bitterness. Get different hop notes with each sip and they keep coming. Awesome drinkability, the hop blend goes down like a Gatorade. Overall, the best DIPA I've had to date. Really tough to make this big of a beer this easy to drink while maintaining absolutely huge flavor.

Well, I was going to just do a quick "had" review. That was until I popped the can open and took a whiff. Whoa man...this is perfection in a tall boy can!

The color is lighter than I would have guessed. It's a nice butterscotch color with not much of a head to be found. Its a bit hazy. And the nice hop particles floating in the glass let me know that my hop cravings will quickly be satiated.

The smell is pure heaven. If it tastes even close to what it smells like, I'll be in nirvana.

The taste just blew me away. Hands down the best brew I have had in quite some time. It is incredibly well balanced. Just like the can says: it's not super bitter. The hops just dance on your tongue. Citrus notes abound. I crave more with every sip. Damn my brother for only giving me two cans! I am trying to figure out when I can make it to Vermont to get more...this turned me into an addict needing my next fix! I want to eat it. I want to bathe in it. I want to use it as a shampoo. I want it as a cologne. I want to put it into a humidifier and infuse my bedroom with it so I can fall asleep to Heady Topper dancing through my head.

Overall: must try, must try again...must have on hand Always!

4.86/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 16oz can into an imperial pint. But not the whole can. Just a bit of it for appearance testing. Big thanks to BA redbird on this one.

This beer is a hazy yellow-orange. Tons of hop floaties in there. No head. Yet another reason to drink it from the can! The aroma is sublimely hoppy. Citrus, pine, and resin aromas dominate on the nose. Taste? Oh dear god. HOPS. I could say that there's a light amount of caramel malts, but it's really a secondary flavor to the absurd amount of DELICIOUS hops in here. It's nowhere near overly bitter, instead just providing an absolutely delicious, resiny hop experience with so many layers. The mouthfeel is fairly light and goes down very easily. The drinkability is absurdly good, I can crush this down like it's a 5% pale ale. If you like IPAs, you HAVE to experience this beer, at any cost. It's absolutely fantastic. World class. And yes, it is better from the can.

4.61/5  rDev -1.1%

Can (thanks Stephen): Poured a cloudy light yellow color ale with large chunks of protein floating around and a large foamy head with good retention. Aroma of super intense pine hops notes with some citrus and resin notes. Taste is also a super intense mix of pine, resin and light citrus undertones hops with a dry malt backbone that is hard to distinguish from the hops attack. The floral aromas are huge end very enjoyable. Body is full with great carbonation. I must admit the hype is totally justified for this one, truly one of the great IIPA.

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

A: A bright tangerine orange is dense with large, bran colored floaties. Dancing yeast cake is evidence of a good swirling carbonation. Frothy cream colored head sits well with a respectable amount of lace. One, I love a ipa that stays true to tradition and stays pale, without the influence of toasted specialty grains. Two, I love the extra visual of dancing yeast floaties, like a snow globe adding not only a visual sense but some vitamins as well.

S: The nose was of a sweet tropical fruity nature, mangos, fresh wet pine and some sweet orange/citrus mix. A dash of peppery spice is light along with some passion fruit. Very soothing, clean and polished.

T: The flavor was sweet and citrusy pine and oranges with a dash of peppery spice. Dried tropical fruitiness of pineapple-orange. Dry pale grains are crisp and clean, free from specialty grain coverup providing a nice base. Spicy citric elements, cypress, hoppy, but not over the top bragging rights, but rather a smooth, eloquent and jazz filled refinement providing an even flow of hoppy flavors from start to finish that was highly respectable, but never overbearing and obnoxious. Very sweet, tropical and citrusy.

M: Medium bodied, nice dryness of citrus with a dash of peppery spice sits well on the tongue.

O: Overall is very, very drinkable. An ideal tropical island drink with an ideal tropical and citrusy hop nature. Very even flow of hoppiness, refined and smooth with citric elements, peppery spicing and keg worthy. Would be my go to IPA if demand and market allowed. Again love the fact that it has a clean pale grain base, strong hop presence and junk in the glass for a visual bonus.Gentle lingering spicy west coast hops provide an invite for the next sip. Didn’t want this beer to be finished.

4.76/5  rDev +2.1%

I wish I had poured this out, but my host insisted we drink it from the can. Despite this, it smells full of hops with fantastic nose from THE CAN! Other canned beers (Oscar Blues, Hazed and Infused) can't touch this!

Simply put this is an awesome double IPA and is something brewers around the country need to measure themselves against.

4.02/5  rDev -13.7%

Huge, huge thanks goes out to aasher, one of the best BA's out there for hooking me up with this beer. Not only am I grateful to Al for this can but I'm also grateful for the Surly Darkness snifter I poured a sampled into (the rest being enjoyed from the can per the brewery's guidance).

Poured a hazy yellow with a thin crop of white foam sitting on top. Lacking head retention although some lacing clings to the glass.

My favorite part of this beer was the nose which showcased intense citrus hop aroma with an initial burst of grapefruit and then some lemon wedged between a back-end of tangerine. Detecting some grassiness as well. Cleanly fermented.

Prominent grapefruit in the flavor combining with an herbal/grassy component. Very high level of bitterness that I find somewhat harsh and detracting from drinkability. Finishes a touch sweeter with a mandarin-like fruitiness.

Medium-light in body, moderately carbonated. Slightly viscous mouthfeel was unexpected, perhaps due to hop oils. Also picking up some astringency and a warming sensation.

Layered complexity in the hop aroma is a real treat here but the bitterness is somewhat harsh and hinders drinkability. Wishing for something smoother. Certainly a very good beer but there's definitely room for improvement.

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

16 oz can poured into a pint glass at slightly warmer than fridge temperature.

L - Deep gold color, very hazy with hop resin floaters, with a 1 finger bubbly white head. Pretty nice retention, nice carbonation, and pretty good lacing. Definitely the weakest part of the beer and it makes sense why they say "Drink from the can."

S - Lots of hops. Very piney, some floral and citrus notes as well. The slightest scent of sweet malt.

T - Tastes great and amazingly balanced. Sweet malty caramel flavor followed by very piney and again slightly floral and citrus hops. Nice refreshing bitter finish but not overpowering at all.

F - Medium-bodied, nicely carbonated, crisp and dry bitter finish. Bitterness stays around for a little while, especially on the tongue, but is not overbearing. No sign of alcohol at any point.

O - This beer was delicious and one of the most unique DIPAs I've had. First of all, it looks very different, with a very hazy appearance and lots of floaters. Despite this, it smells and tastes terrific and very different than most other DIPAs. It has lots of piney aromas and flavors while a lot of others have mostly citrusy and grapefruit smells and tastes. It is very unique, very tasty, and if you can get your hands on it, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed. Except for the appearance, this is very close to perfection.

4.09/5  rDev -12.2%

A- Pours an orange color with a fairly thin white head. This beer is pretty ugly with a lot of hop leaf/pellet junks floating around. Head leaves a bit of spotty lacing.

S- A huge amount of tropical fruits with a very light touch of pale malts.

T- A very light toasted grain. Then the hops move in with a good amount of pine, herbal and very strong tropical fruit. A very nice amount of bitterness here too.

M- Medium in both carbonation and body.

O- A very good DIPA, but I'm not quite sure what makes this one so much better than any other.

4.94/5  rDev +6%

Appearance - Pale cloudy body that pours little head. Decent lacing on the small amount that I poured into a glass.

Smell - Potent stuff. Very crisp, sweet citrus aroma up front, gives way to a more piney resin smell. Really nice.

Taste - More of the citrus here with notes of grapefruit, and sweet hop flavors. Malt character is present but is very harmonious with the hops throughout. Fades to a very bitter finish that lingers around on the tongue for some time.

Mouthfeel - Nice carbonation level and thickness here.

Overall - Great DIPA, aroma is through the roof and the malts stand up to the super hoppy beer very well without being dominant. Definitely worth trading for if you can.

4.42/5  rDev -5.2%

Sample: 1 can 2012

A: Party cloudy, light orange-yellow with a small foamy head that quickly becomes nice lacing and pretty strong internal carbonation

S: Heavy citrus, hops of course, pineapple, grapefruit, quite fragrant and appetizing as a result

T: Mimics the nose, citrus, hops, tropical fruits, even granny smith apple is present, deliciously bitter to finish but great balance

M: Intense in flavor but very smooth, aftertaste is minimal and is as pleasing to the palate as the taste

O: An excellent hop crazy beer, easy to drink, decent abv and refreshing as well

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%

16oz can my friend had shipped from a VT hook-up. Served in a snifter.

Pours cloudy orangey gold with with 2.5 fingers pale head that fades quickly. No lacing.

Sweet tropical fruit hoppy aroma. Really nice.

Great mix of hop flavors. Pineapple, piney and orangey with a hint of sweet biscuit. The malts are there in perfect balance to give body while allowing the hops to shine. Alcohol isn't noticeable.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Sticky sweet tongue-coating feel with a long dry bitter hop aftertaste.

A very well executed imperial IPA. Having tried a fresh Pliny the Elder recently I have to say this blows it away. Totally worth seeking. I'll be looking for more in the future.

4.72/5  rDev +1.3%

Pourer from a 16 oz can into a tulip and also drank from the can- poured a hazy light orange color with almost no head very little retention and no lacing.

Smells incredible but very subtle- grapefruit and tangerine with a little spice of hops at the end.

Tastes even more incredible- full, round hop flavor. A little malt at the beginning and then the hops take over. A little grapefruit at first and then soft piney notes with a nice medium dry finish. Superb.

Mouthfeel is also exceptional. Medium bodied with light to moderate carbonation. Get this if you can!!

PS- Flavor is more direct out if the can but I prefer it in the glass. Give both a try.

4.72/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a muddy, opaque light orange with floating sediment. Thin head quickly settles. 4

Very fruity citrusy nose. Mostly tangerines and clementines, also some lemon-lime. Piney, earthy hops in the background. 4.5

Taste follows the nose. I initially get a very strong citrus hop taste, almost tastes like I'm drinking orange-grapefruit juice. Very well balanced with a light caramel malt. Aftertaste transforms from delicate tangerine, to bitter grapefruit, and builds to a "west-coast" piney, resiney hop profile. Eventually, the piney hops dominate. 4.5

Taste from the can: hoppier, more bitter, stronger pine. More aggressive DIPA. ...better. 5

Mouthfeel is full bodied, just the right carbonation. Spot on for the style. 5

Overall, an excellent, superbly balanced DIPA. Certainly worth seeking out. 4.5

4.81/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks to DarthKostrizer for sharing this one at the post Bruery Reserve Society party bottle share!

Canned 2/2/12.

Pours a murky honey yellow with a white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is fantastic with citrus zest, citrus fruit, and tropical fruit aromas. Taste is the same with citrus fruit, citrus zest, and tropical fruit up front with a malt finish. There is a mild bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an exceptional DIPA with some amazing aromas and flavors.

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to BeRanger for this one.

2012 vintage. No canning date, but likely less than 1 month old. 16 oz. can poured into a snifter.

A: Incredibly hazy orange body with a finger of fluffy white head that dissipates quickly. Tons of sediment. In fact, I've never seen so much sediment in a fresh DIPA.

S: Huge citrus hop notes. Straight up orange and grapefruit. Very straight to the point here.

T: Wow. Incredibly hoppy, but not overpowering. The orange is the most dominant citrus note on the palate. It almost has a fresh orange juice flavor to it. The hop bite hits up front, but it's short-lived because it's quickly followed by the citrus sweetness.

M: This is about the perfect amount of carbonation. Just the right amount of dryness and sweetness, as well. Resinous, but not a palate killer.

O: This beer is well-deserving of the hype it receives. The drinkability is incredible. I was a little put-off at first by all the hop sediment, and I do wonder how it impacted the flavor. I also probably should've had a couple of tastes straight from the can. I guess I will just need to track down more. One of the best DIPA's I've ever had.

4.04/5  rDev -13.3%

pours cloudy yellow gold with lots of sediment small head faded fast left no lacing

smells of grapefruit little pine tropical fruits and caramel malt

taste was almost perfect - with all the hop flavors hop resin the beer still has the malt to balance all that bitterness

mouthfeel - needs more carbonation - felt flat and boring

overall - yes this beer tastes great and its worth seeking out to try once - i will drink my last one out of the can as the brewer intended if my opinions change so will this review

4.35/5  rDev -6.7%

Took the first sip from the can to get the full affect.

A: Poured from the can to my glass this brew pours like your average IPA. Murky golden hue with a white capped head.

S: The aroma is delightfully hoppy fresh. Resinous hops take over. This brew is a little less fruity than a normal DIPA.

T: The flavor is near perfect. Very well balanced and not over sweetened in the process. The flavor is fresh, raw hops.

MF: The carbonation is great, my pallet isn't torn up, the after taste isn't offensive.

Overall, a great beer, deserving of the top 10 on BA? Maybe not, but an incredibly drinkable IPA

Heady Topper from The Alchemist