Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 1,987 | Hads: 11,148
4.84/5  rDev +3.6%

16oz. can, purchased at the brewery. No coding. Told by an employee that it was "probably" canned on 2/10/12. It's fresh, okay?!

Cloudy, glowing orange with some chum floating around. Small head, without much lacing or retention.

Aroma has it all. Hops in spades: pine resin, bright citrus, tropical fruit, melon, and a big floral note. Most IPAs have one or two hop qualities in the nose, but Heady Topper seems to have them all, I do reckon. Wow.

Flavor has some pale, malty heft to it, but not in terms of richness. The alcohol has to come from somewhere, right? This beer is a vehicle for hops, and they come through loud and clear in waves of drinkable goodness. Lots of sappy, resinous hop character. Fruity, but not as strong or citrusy as the aroma. Nevertheless this stuff is really, REALLY good. Mouthfeel seems a touch under-carbonated-- is this intended?

Great to drink some fresh, fantastically hoppy beer from New England. As the Bros. have preached all along, East Coasters know how to hop (even if they are emulating West Coasters). Prost! Slainte! Cheers! (1,077 characters)

4.41/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Recieved in a trade along with fresh Hopslam from NDAK, thanks man, we will swap again.

First off the can thing, I was told to drink it from the can so I am.I like good canned craft brew, Caldera IPA is IMHO world class in a can.So I forgo the appearance to be loyal. Wow ! Not what I was expecting. Huge bitter hops, the first wave is insanity, then the tropical fruits come into play, grapefruit is the most predominant initially, then wave after wave of mango, bitter orange, huge mint, and fresh ground black pepper. The finish goes on for ever ! This is one complex beer, each sip reveals more layers of fruit and bite. I am digging this bad boy big time.

I have one more can to play with and I think I may split it between my glass and the can for a more traditional experience and to see what this delicious brew looks like.

I am so glad I have finally been able to get a taste of east coast goodness, it really lives up to the hype, truly unique and original. (971 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance- Cloudy orange, can't see threw, small white head with small group of bubbles in the middle, head dissipates quickly. The cloudiness makes me think there is a ton of hops in it.

Smell-Grapefruit mango topical fruit hops

Taste- This is what i want as far as an ipa goes. Very citrus throughout with a lingering grapefruit taste and bitterness. The taste starts out strait citrus but then grapefruit and bitterness build until the end. It says drink from the can, and is great from the can but i do think it taste better out of a glass. I think you get a lot more of the grapefruit flavor this way. The more i think about it, it is better out of a glass. That being said, the can is fine if the occasion calls for it, even if that means just wanting to drink out of a can at your house instead of dirtying a glass.

Mouthfeel-Like carbonated light pulp orange juice leaves you wanting more

Great double IPA. One of the best i have ever had. Reminds me of galactic double daisy cutter, but definitely has its differences. I am really getting in to can beers lately and the 16oz can makes for a great disc golf companion. If this was shelf beer where i lived i would be in trouble and they might run out. (1,215 characters)

4.48/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: N/A Enjoyed from the can, as the brewer recommends

Aroma: Powerful citrus/tropical hop aroma. No trace of malt.

Flavor: Follows the nose. Very strong, lasting tropical hop flavor. Smooth bitterness and citrus hop on the back. Any malt flavor is totally overpowered by the hops.

Mouth: Lighter body for an 8% beer. Highly carbonated. Fairly dry finish.

Overall: An absolute hop-bomb. Must drink for any hop-head! Might be a 'better' beer if it had some malt flavor, but that's really not what the brewer is going for here. (537 characters)

I scored 3 four packs of this beer thanks to my parents who had vacationed briefly in VT. Trying this out of a glass first, then out of the can for kicks and giggles... because it says so. Something about releasing the hop aromas.

The appearance is a very cloudy gold color... almost yellowish. A few flecks of very fine sediment are visible. The beer is topped with a puffy white head that is very thick at first, but later settles down to the size of about a finger. It looks just right hanging there as it clings lightly to the glass.

The vast aroma give me the chills as I take it in. My first impression is that of an exotic, fresh fruit stand. Of course pineapple, grapefruit lemon/citrus, but also strawberry and mango - all very sweet. Something about the spice reminds me of potpourri and clean linen. There is an underlying piney resin notes are detectable beneath. When I lean in to the can rather than the glass, the resiny cannabis subtleties are much more 'outspoken.'

Now for a taste! Wow - this isn't going to be easy. Very complex to say the least. From the glass - a very quick 'juicyfruit' start coats the mouth and disappears at which point a dose of strong pine flavor, almost like gin for a second pops in. Finally, a very resinous character presents itself and takes over my palate for the bulk of the experience. There seems to be a doughy malt aspect intermingled with this resinous taste as well. The finish is a giant snap of bitterness.

It's interesting that this is kind of a medium bodied beer, does not seem 'boozy' or instantly 'warming' as it goes down, but I would say that after you take a little break from sipping you 'feel the alcohol' in your gut - a good thing if you ask me.

Overall - Definitely an acquired taste but I like it quite a bit. This is the most interesting and complex DIPA I have ever had. It's not so easy to talk about or assess simply.

Now - I am going to try a second one straight out of the can instead of from the glass. *Drum roll* I like it better from the can! Never would have guessed. With this beer - picture drinking a milkshake out of a big straw vs drinking right from the glass. The can is the straw - you get more of a concentrated blast of taste vs from the glass. Perhaps it is because there is no aroma preview, so to speak. The various aspects of the flavor previously described seem more together, hitting me at once instead of in stages this way. The sweetness seems to stick around longer and the resinous aspect seems less earthy and more spicy, more organic. Delicious orange rind dominates. Changing this to a perfect score. I'm glad I have a decent amount of this - will be sharing with close friends. Get some if you can. (2,717 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +1.5%

I’m torn here. The brewers leave instructions on the can. Rather than enjoy the beer poured out into a glass, as common sense dictates, they wish us to drink it straight from the can. Normally, I’d do as the brewer says, no questions asked. This kind of goes against my principles though. In the end I decided to enjoy it from my New Belgium globe, though I did decant it, again, as dictated on the can. If I’m ever able to score another can or two or this, I’ll try it straight from the can and see which experience I find more enjoyable.

A: Pours a very hazy golden color. Eggshell white head has good retention, but eventually settles down to a thin slip. Lacing is very sparse and occurs only in small dots.

S: Dank, oily weed. Some soap and wet leaves. All the requisite citrus scents are here too. Mango puree, tangerine, pineapple, et al. There’s an underlying aromatic pine needle scent too. All of this sits atop a doughy malt base. This smells delicious, and definitely unique. It’s unlike any other IPA I’ve ever had.

T: Citrus bitterness punches you in the face immediately. Bitter grapefruit and pine resin intermingle. The tide of bitterness builds a bit, but plateaus off at a nice even level and stays resiny throughout. Tropical fruit flavors play on the tip of the tongue. Pineapple, kiwi, tangerine, and other flavors come to the forefront, though the bitterness never lets up. Oily and leafy hop tastes are there, though I don’t get any of the soap that was present in the smell. The malt base seems sweeter than the nose belied too. It tastes doughy but also a bit sugary. Pina colada just before the finish. Finishes with plenty of tropical fruits and a receding tide of resiny bitterness.

M: Light in body, but certainly not lacking substance. Very creamy and smooth in the mouth, with just a bit of an oily impression. Low carbonation, but just enough to get the job done. It’s like drinking a cloud.

O: This is absolutely delicious. As close to perfect as I’ve come across to date. Maybe the easiest drinking DIPA I’ve ever had. It feels like a found a part of my soul that I never even knew was missing. I’m not a religious man, but I’m fervently praying that this gets regular distribution to MA.

Notes: One of the few beers I’ve had of late that not only lived up to the hype, but completely surpassed it. I think I need to plan a road trip in the near future to try and secure a case of this. (2,457 characters)

4.67/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to my Fraternity brother Devin who lives out in VT now for sending me two 4 packs of HT.

I drank part from the can and part poured into a snifter. After pouring it into a glass it produces a nice 2 finger width white head that leaves nice lacing with each drink. It is opaque orange/copper color. The nose is amazing great fruit smells first grapefruit, lemon, and a hint of sweetness from a fruit like mango also there is a good piney smell along with the fruit smell. Great bitterness up front but it balances well with the sweetness form the malt the bitterness is a good combination of fruit bitterness like grapefruit and a piney bitterness. All round great balance of flavors that you find in DIPA's. Mouthfeel is medium, carbonation is on point for the style. Over all this is an amazing beer If I could buy this off the shelves where I live I would have two 4 packs on hand at all times. (903 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -9%

Got a 4-pack from a friend who just returned from Waterbury. Probably as fresh as it comes directly from the cannery.

I did drink ½ of the beer directly from the can as advised but wanted to see the beer color and head so I poured the second half in to a Three Floyds pint glass.

A – A wonderful hazy orange, you can tell right away this bad boy is unfiltered. Poured with a really nice 2 finger white head that hung around for a while. Good lacing was seen all the way around the glass.

S – Smells like freshly trimmed Christmas trees. Pine notes are really heavy, along with fresh cut grass. I do get some citrus in there as well and I would peg it as grapefruit. If you love the smell of fresh hops off the vine then breath deep and enjoy!

T – I was puckered at both ends on this one. Bitter, bitter, bitter…a hop heads dream. After that initial piney bitterness the hop flavors were very smooth. I have no idea what kinds of hops go into this beer but they all played very nicely. There was a light alcohol warmth at the back end that was very pleasing. The malt in the beer is shadowed by the hops but it is there non-the-less.

M – I couldn’t get over how smooth this beer was. A very nice well balanced medium bodied brew. Carbonation was on point and added nicely to the hop explosion.

O – Overall a very impressive beer, so happy I got to try it and glad I have 3 more to enjoy. Not going to share these with anybody. I wish I was able to head to VT more often so I could get this on a regular basis. When they talk of hop shortages I know where they all went, into a can of Heady Topper! (1,622 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +5.8%

Side by side comparison with Hopslam. Pounder can poured into a tulip. This can was bottled in mid-December. My girlfriend has just gotten into DIPAs, so she is enjoying this too! It should be a good night!

A: murky, cloudy orange, 1 finger head that goes away shortly.

S: huge hit of tropical citrus fruit. Mangos, orange, pineapples, lemon. Smells like a fresh clean kitchen should.

T: Hops right on the front. Mangos and orange as well. Great bitterness – stays for a while. Lemon at the end.

D: At 8% ABV, this goes down way too easily. No syrupiness like other DIPAs.

O: World Class DIPA. My girlfriend loves that it’s from a can and I wish more great beers came from cans. All I need is more friends to visit Vermont! - 5 (737 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured in a tulip at the British Beer Company in Walpole, MA.

There was a lot of drum roll about this beer. It is not sold in stores
in the Boston area, and a limited number of bars served it starting last week. There is a limited availability.

The beer is served in a can and was not too cold- a good start.
The directions on the can recommend against drinking it in a glass in order to savor the hops.

This is the IPA lovers dream beer. It's the hoppiest beer I have smelled and tasted.

I preferred it in the glass. The color was a very light amber and it pours a small head.

The smell of hops is overwhelming. A wonderful lemony finish with a slight sour bitterness.

There is a lot of thoughtful artistic brewing in this beer. It is a highly unusual beer.

I am not a big fan of IPAs. It's not my style. However, if this beer is available, one shouldn't miss the opportunity to savor it. (899 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +2.1%

Straight pour from a 16oz can to a straight-lipped Ommegang flute (the glass included in the 2011 gift packs), but sampled partly from the can for tasting and aroma notes as well. No date on the can, but one week ago the (very, very good) friend who gave this to me said he bought it the weekend prior, so my guess is this is 2 ½ - 3 ½ weeks old at the most. I’d say it’s pretty fresh. And yes, I did drink this from the can first!

Appearance (4.0): One and a half fingers of very light tan head sticks around for a while, leaving some good lacing on all sides of this glass—thought I still want more, and I still want a chewier head. Body is the color of unfiltered honey, a slightly tan-orange. And this is the definition of hazy—almost opaque. Very lovely.

Smell (4.5): From the glass, it’s all sweet citrus fruit—super-ripe pineapple, some passion fruit, grapefruit, mango, etc. From the can, it’s all resin and pine with a grassy background, some tobacco in the back and some light caramel tones help smooth it out. Very, very intense pine and grapefruit tones. Goddamn beautiful.

Taste (5.0): Blindingly bitter, but not astringent, with enough malt sweetness to lend it some gravitas—from both the can and the glass. The hops are like a wad of fresh-cut grass stuck in a big, warm glob of pine sap, on top of half of a red grapefruit. The malt is relatively light—pale, enough to be inconspicuous, but thick enough to anchor the hop profile—and has a very subtle, sweet caramel note in the back. From the glass, there’s an interesting tobacco note that pops up in the body that’s actually very enjoyable. From the can, it’s just a hop explosion slowly taking over your brain. Yeast character? Typically neutral American ale yeast probably, but who could tell with this ridiculous hop load. A little booze in the finish, but it blends so seamlessly with the long, grassy, piney, extremely grapefruit-pithy finish that it’s integrated perfectly with a nice drying effect.

Mouthfeel (4.5): Ugh. So nice and dry. Just on the heavy side of medium, maybe, definitely a full-feeling beer, but damn you don’t want to take it slow. It invites you to keep going way too easily. Carbonation is nice and smooth, with the finest prickliness mixed in—it’s like hop cones are giving my tongue acupuncture.

Overall (5.0): What’s interesting about Heady Topper is that I can fully recognize that this is just one point on the spectrum of (d)IPAs, in terms of the flavor profile and perhaps more specifically the hop profile. But, it seems almost inherently clear that this is more or less the pinnacle of one of those points in the spectrum. There’s undoubtedly other beers at least as enjoyable with different flavor and aroma profiles, maybe more citrusy and fruity or whatever, but they’re not better or worse so much as different. Like a pantheon of pinnacle (d)IPAs. And this almost certainly has a seat in that pantheon. Waxing poetic, maybe, so let me put it differently: this beer is totally tits. Go out and buy it, because especially at $12-13/ 4-pack, it’s worth every penny. Long Live The Alchemist. (3,154 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Poured some into a glass just to see what it looks like. It's a super cloudy pale sort of orange. Good solid offwhite head. Retention is quite good too. Decent lacing.

S: Wow, stunning aromatics - just an explosion of fruit. Grapefruit, citrus and pineapple. Mango and apricot too. A bit of resin too maybe?

T: Again, hop mania. As in the nose it's all citrus and the tropical fruits mainly. A bit of resin and pine in the aftertaste. It's sweet but not overpowering, just compliments all the fruit nicely. Bitterness abound but NOT as harsh as other big IPAs like maharaja or ruination. Not even close. It's also not too sweet like a double crooked tree or a 120min. This is a big DIPA that's actually balanced. Long lasting residual taste that sticks with you forever.

M: Medium bodied, carbonation is just about right. A bit drying from all the hop oils.

O: This beer is all about balance. One of the best balanced yet big DIPAs I've had. I like big harsh bitter bombs but this is just a thousand times more drinkable. I feel like I could have a bunch of these. That's what really sets it apart I think. (1,115 characters)

4.62/5  rDev -1.1%

My son brought this home after a trade for a 4 pack of this for a Dark Lord.

What a great brew, you get a lot of hoppy scents so you are thinking a real hoppy brew, then you taste it and while the hops are very prevalent the finish on this is absolutely unbelievable, a very floral finish with a really nice after taste.

This is one of the best IPA's I've tasted. (365 characters)

4.59/5  rDev -1.7%

16 oz. can poured into oversized CBS snifter.

Big thanks to greenmonstah for the trade!

A: Pours a hazy golden orange color with a fair amount of suspended particulates. Quarter finger brilliant white head with small tight bubbles clinging to the side of the glass.

S: Talk about an absolute hop bomb. As soon as I cracked the can the pungent aroma of hops came pouring out. Strong earthy, piney resin aroma with plenty of citrus fruits coming through. Slight sweet malty notes in there as well. Absolutely one of the best smelling beers to come across my olfactory system.

T: Very strong hop presence on the front of the tongue. Extremely aggressive bitterness. Piney/earthy hops. Middle of the tongue turns into a sweet breadiness and followed by another wave of pungent hops. Wow.

M: Medium bodied, not thick but an almost oily feel. Absolutely no alcohol presence. The can is right; scary drinkable. Good amount of carbonation. Dry finish.

O: Absolutely deserving of being deemed ‘world class.’ One of, if not, the best DIPA I’ve had to date. (1,060 characters)

Thanks goes out to Hojaminbag, and dsgolovin for this brew.

Poured into my Roosters true pint glass a very nice cloudy golden orange color, lots of floaties also, very nice carbonation, with a very nice one-finger thick creamy off-white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The second I popped this open I could smell hops, the nose is hoppy, with a nice little malt blend, a very nice citrus note, and some nice pineyness. The taste is slightly sweet, hoppy, malty, with some nice citrus notes, and pines. Medium body, with a nice slightly bitter/dry finish, pretty chewy also. Just had a side by side comparsion with a fresh bottle of Pliny the Elder and this brew (fresh also), looks and taste are a HUGE difference, no comparision at all, the PtE wins hands down. I cannot go with the hype on this brew at all, nice but no where near the hype, sorry. This is a nice DIPA in a can, and I have another can also, LOL Thanks Ben and David. (951 characters)

4.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank from 16oz can from a 4-pack as instructed to get maximum hop flavor.

A- Reviewed from Can. Second can: poured into a glass- very hazy brownish yellow, average carbonation, 2 fingers of white head that dissipates fairly fast, layered lacing left around glass while drinking.

S- HOPS!!! Immediately hit with very piney hops and a sweet grapefruit smell. Very aromatic, could smell immediately right when I cracked open the can. Definitely one of the best and most intense aromas from an IPA I've encountered.

T- Very sweet piney hops, a little bit tangy/citrusy, one of the best tasting experiences I've ever encountered in a beer. Leaves a great sweet aftertaste that delights the palate.

M- Very very drinkable, medium bodied, not much carbonation, can barely detect any alcohol. Extremely well balanced.

O- Absolutely Awesome! This is probably the most well balanced, best DIPA that I have ever drank. This is one of the most hoppy beers I've encountered but it has a perfect balance between the hops, sweetness, citrus flavors, etc.. Would most certainly buy again. Great beer highly recommended if you are ever in Vermont. This is a perfect example of everything you want in a DIPA. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. A must have. (1,243 characters)

4.48/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Many, many thanks to BAs hoppymcgee and jedwards for sending Heady Topper cans within mere days of each other; as this is one from a 4-pack sent by hoppymcgee, I'm reviewing it.

16 oz. can, poured to an imperial pint glass.

A: What??? A lovely caramel/butterscotch pour with a SERIOUS problem of floaties. I'm talking suspended chunky bits from top to bottom... Decent lace, sticking in places. At first glance from afar, it looks pleasing enough, a nearly two-finger white crown of dense fluff atop. From askance, I'm giving at least a '4'; on closer inspection, it's a '2' for all the debris. '3' would be a compromise, but I can't go there... maybe the 'Drink from the Can!' admonishment on the label is less recommendation, more requirement! Yuck!

S: A nano-second past the crack of the can, I smelled the hop-sweetened goodness: if that doesn't warrant a '5', I don't know what does. The scent is magical, all the best of an IPA - sticky toffee and orange-laden hops, biscuity grains and full-on pine. It's a juicy and drippy noseful of sweetness and spice. I'm sold.

T: Freshly cut green hops and amply-grainy baked bread, perfect spiciness and equally perfect squeezes of lemon zest and grapefruit with a finish of cracked pepper. This beer takes one on a journey through all the flavors an IPA can hold and expands upon them. I went into this beer thinking 'meh, I know IPAs and this'll be a good one' to thinking 'wow, this captures magic in a bottle... er, can!'. Pretty amazing stuff.

M: For an 8% (D)IPA, drinkability is scary (yeah, it does say that almost verbatim on the label, but I concur!). Medium-heavy feel, but smooth body and looong-lasting finish.

O: Very good. Very, very good. Forget the weird, goopy/brackish appearance and it's among the best I've tried, overall. OK, it IS among the best I've tried, regardless. Worthy of the 'hype', extremely tasty and sensual in all aspects. Gotta have one... but then you'll just want more. (1,961 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +6%

Un. Real.

Waited patiently for this to hit Boston and got the first can at a bar in JP tonight.

Believe the hype. Tasted like Pliny, but with more bite. This beer was fresh as can be. Smell was so powerful, taste was robust. It's a slow sipper to be sure. I savored every sip.

Looking forward to seeing this around Boston more. (332 characters)

4.46/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ok I will admit it - I did not believe the hype. So many times beers that are hyped up so much let me down, but this absolutely delivered.

Drank from the can at The Independent in Somerville.

Can't comment to much on the appearance since i drank it from the can, but I did pour a bit into a glass for a look. Nice hazy goldb orange.

Smell is unreal. I think I am going to dump a can of this over myself next time I go on a date. Smells like the hops were literally plucked in front of me and placed into my beer.

Taste is ridiculous. I had to slow myself down. It is truly that good. Fresh hops, perfect bitter and sweet mix - truly remarkable. Even when I burp it tastes good. Wow.

Mouthfeel complements the beer perfectly.

Overall this is amazing. Hands down the greatest beer I have ever consumed. I cannot recommend this enough. Find it fresh, and drink it. Now!!!! (878 characters)

4.57/5  rDev -2.1%

Enjoyed my first two Heady Topper's today. Purchased from Woodstock Hops N Barley in Woodstock, VT.

The first I drank from the can. The instant you crack it open you get an explosion of grapefruit, slight pine, and pure IPA magicallness. It's without a doubt the best smelling beer I've ever had. It smells exactly how I want IPAs to smell. Whatever has been missing or off in any other IPA's smell is here. You have to experience this to believe it.

Taste was amazing. I got waves of hops, a bit of sweet balance (which I like) and then more waves of hops. There's so much going on here. For an dIPA, the ABV is REALLY hidden.

Mouthfeel was the most surprising thing to me. This particular 4-pack has very light carbonation. I wonder if it may be on the older side of fresh? I can't believe the can doesn't have a born on date...

It feels almost TOO smooth. It's in my top-5 beers ever, no doubt. But smelling it, I expected a sharper hop forward flavor and more carbonation to open everything up.

I poured my second can into a pint glass and saw that it had only a small head that vanished quite quickly. This is in contrast to what others have said, so I'm guessing this 4-pack is not a REALLY fresh example of the beer...

That said, this tastes INCREDIBLE. As soon as I can, I will drive to Waterbury, VT to pick some up from the Alchemist Cannery...I want to try this beer as fresh as possible.

Heady Topper is far and away the best IPA I've ever had. And I'm not even sure I'm having it fresh. If you ever have the chance to try this - do it.

BTW, the store I purchased this from is no more than 150 yards from my work, so I pretty much have an endless supply of Heady Topper available to me going forward. This does not suck.

Cheers!

(This is my first review. As a Vermont guy, this has to be where I start!) (1,825 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -8.1%

Received a couple cans of fresh HT from BaconSausage as extras in a recent Trade.

Poured both into a Surly pint glass and a bells tulip on two different occasions with varying results.

In the first sampling - one was extremely cloudy and much darker red than i was expecting based on other reviews. The second can was much more orange and clear. Both were adorned by nice white caps

The appearance was the main difference between the two as they both had huge hop blasting noses with heavy citrus/mango pine wafts coming at you.

Flavors i picked up were much different than the nose. I picked up a bit of stale malt hidden behind large grassy citrus hop characteristics.

Overall a great beer and one i wish i had access to. (728 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +6.4%

This was canned freshly last week and was sent to me through the mail. Something everyone on this website must try, my pallate was in heaven during the consumption of this hoppy yet amazing beverage

A: Had a hazy orangish yellow color. I personally loved it, I homebrew and I love hazy type beers because it usually is due to particles in the beer which causes higher amounts of flavor

Aroma: smelled like heaven, if you've ever brewed with fresh hops, this beer has the amazing smell of fresh hops through the nose, just an amazin beer to smell before consuming. citrusy yet heaven!

Mouthfeel: it had a very typical and awesome DIPA mouthfeel. It wasn't to light but not too heavy, just perfect for an awesome

Taste: the beginning taste is a beautiful hoppiness(citrusy) like armarillo hops taste. As it moves past your palate, it goes from hoppy to a very balanced flavor that goes down very smooth, dangerously smooth.

Overall: I've had ple and sculpin, zombie dust, just many many IPA's, and this is by far the best DIPA I've ever encountered. If you haven't tried this beer, it's a must have at $4 a can.

Cheers!! (1,127 characters)

4.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz can with "1 12 23A 2 BB" stamped along the bottom of the can. Not sure what this means, but I'm assuming the 1 if for January and the 12 for 2012?

Pours an extremely hazy orange-yellow color and is topped by two finger worth of white colored foam. It's been several minutes and the head has settled to a thin layer, but there's lacing all over my glass.

Smell is definitely an indication that this is an upper tier DIPA. Orange and grapefruit are the dominant citrus fruits that I am getting. Maybe a bit of pineapple as well. Very nice!

Taste: Citrus fruits and sticky hops flood the taste buds immediately. It's bitter, yet there's enough sweetness to balance it out. Not overly malty mind you, it's more like the sweetness you'd get from an actual orange. The fruit and hop flavors both linger on well after you swallow inviting you to take another sip.

Medium bodied with a sticky-hop-juice mouthfeel. Carbonation in middle of the road.

A world class Ipa, no doubt about it.

Morey's Bottom Line: Well, this is my first HT, and I can honestly say that I wasn't let down at all. I've had Hopslam and Double Trouble within the last week, and this is a notch above both IMO. Seek this out! (1,200 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a Rogue shaker pint glass.

Big thanks to apollokim for this can!

The big guns keep on showing up for this Super Bowl party! This one pours a rusty tawn topped by over a finger of cream foam. The nose comprises ruby red grapefruit zest, yellow grapefruit peel, orange zest, strong pine resin, light leek, and buttery toffee (think Crunch 'n' Munch). The taste brings in more of the same, though the pine, leek, and citrus peels come through stronger, taking things in an ever-so-slightly bitterer direction. Things are still very well-balanced, though. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly creamy feel. Overall, a damn fine, nicely-balanced DIPA. Good times. (Note: We tried this both in the glass and straight out of the can. There was no consensus, as about half preferred the can and half preferred the glass. I was in the latter, though it wasn't a strong preference by any means.) (936 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to Mrebeka for grouping this with a trade… I owe you one!

A – A lot darker than I thought it would be. Very hazy with a lot of funky floaters. The off-white head quickly dissolved, but a small ring of bubbles remained. A huge sticky lacing on the edge of the glass is left behind after each sip. Fugly brew.

S – Some sweet caramel, pineapple, and pine oh my! Some tropical fruit is sticking with me for a while.

T – Great forbidden fruits… Hop resin/bitterness hits big in the finish; once again… I know I’m drinking a DIPA.

M – Super easy to drink, medium bodied with a slight alcohol burn. Nice amount of carbonation.

O - My first craft can. Delicious… I am going to have to seek more of these out. I wish I would have done a side-by-side with Pliny, but for right now, I’m leaning towards Heady. A great IPA. (848 characters)

Heady Topper from The Alchemist