Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Reviews: 2,032 | Hads: 11,336
4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to BeRanger for this one.

2012 vintage. No canning date, but likely less than 1 month old. 16 oz. can poured into a snifter.

A: Incredibly hazy orange body with a finger of fluffy white head that dissipates quickly. Tons of sediment. In fact, I've never seen so much sediment in a fresh DIPA.

S: Huge citrus hop notes. Straight up orange and grapefruit. Very straight to the point here.

T: Wow. Incredibly hoppy, but not overpowering. The orange is the most dominant citrus note on the palate. It almost has a fresh orange juice flavor to it. The hop bite hits up front, but it's short-lived because it's quickly followed by the citrus sweetness.

M: This is about the perfect amount of carbonation. Just the right amount of dryness and sweetness, as well. Resinous, but not a palate killer.

O: This beer is well-deserving of the hype it receives. The drinkability is incredible. I was a little put-off at first by all the hop sediment, and I do wonder how it impacted the flavor. I also probably should've had a couple of tastes straight from the can. I guess I will just need to track down more. One of the best DIPA's I've ever had.

4.04/5  rDev -13.3%

pours cloudy yellow gold with lots of sediment small head faded fast left no lacing

smells of grapefruit little pine tropical fruits and caramel malt

taste was almost perfect - with all the hop flavors hop resin the beer still has the malt to balance all that bitterness

mouthfeel - needs more carbonation - felt flat and boring

overall - yes this beer tastes great and its worth seeking out to try once - i will drink my last one out of the can as the brewer intended if my opinions change so will this review

4.35/5  rDev -6.7%

Took the first sip from the can to get the full affect.

A: Poured from the can to my glass this brew pours like your average IPA. Murky golden hue with a white capped head.

S: The aroma is delightfully hoppy fresh. Resinous hops take over. This brew is a little less fruity than a normal DIPA.

T: The flavor is near perfect. Very well balanced and not over sweetened in the process. The flavor is fresh, raw hops.

MF: The carbonation is great, my pallet isn't torn up, the after taste isn't offensive.

Overall, a great beer, deserving of the top 10 on BA? Maybe not, but an incredibly drinkable IPA

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%

Canned on Monday drank on Friday. Poured into a glass.

A: very cloudy, orange with a slight red hue. Big sandy head. Not much lacing.

S: the smell omg. Piney tropical hops, a real explosion. I sense Simcoe. Very herbal dank and earthy underneath the citrus. Some Columbia perhaps.

T: super bright and citrusy, I get kiwi, mango, clementine, grapefruit. Finish is so sweet. Peaches, grapefruit all the different notes. It's really not all that bitter. Tough to pick out the malts but it's more honey than molasses /caramel. There's some earthy floral dankness hiding beneath the tropical hops, some hop oils and resins. It just tastes fresh.

M : super soft and chewy. High carbonation. No burn. A syrupy body. Resinous and oily.

O: quite possibly the best beer I've ever had. Crazy hops, the freshest rawest beer I've had. So tropical and drinkable it's insane. I could session on this. Must try, lives up to the hype.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A pale gold with a clumpy, lumpy and rocky foam that sticks and hangs around in amazing ways.

The aroma is pretty amazing with a complex fresh hop with grapefruit, pineapple, earthy notes and tangy fruits! The malt also smells really nice with gentle sweetness but not heady.

The flavor is huge! Yes it's complex with layers of hops, fruity, earthy, grapefruit, sweet fruits, you name it, if it's in the hop spectrum of flavor's it's in here!! But that's not what blows my mind, it's the balance and insane drinkabilty from this DIPA. Usually the large amounts of malt, high alcohol and massive hops keeps the "session" kinda short, but not here, It's kinda scary how easy it is to drink.

The feel is fresh, full, jazzy and slightly smooth maybe even a bit dry in the finish.

Love the can!

4.47/5  rDev -4.1%

This beer Ive had several times.

Can and poured into a glass.
THe head is white like it came with batteries.
The aroma isnt as intense as i thought it would be but, hop aroma with out senses being overwhelmed.
The color is a solid amber-orangish. Not light penetrating. haze.
The flavor is strong hop, spicy, dramatic, and pronounced. The mouth feel is smooth, coating the tongue.
Overall this is a solid example of an IPA.

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%

So if your beer tastes like this, maybe you only need to make one. There's likely no way that you'll ever out do Heady-Topper so just stop right there!

With a controlled and creamy pour of medium gold elixir, this hazy and glowing ale constructs a creamy, cottony white head with substantial retention and islands of lace. Overall, this is one sexy beer!

Seductive and mouthwatering citrus aromas abound from from the rim of the glass. The straight-up juicy fruity scent of the freshly squeezed pulp of ripe ruby red grapefruit with elements of citric acids, fruit sweetness that seems of thin honey, and some softer tropical notes of mango and apricot. It's impossible to put your nose so close to the glass without taking a sip.

The delicious delight of a beer delivers the straight forward grapefruit flavor just as the nose promises. The sweet pulp of fresh-picked ruby reds couldn't be more spot-on. Resiny as the citrus flavors seem to coat the mouth while the stripping of enamel commences. Soft caramel malts support the hops with the supple and elegant sweetness of powdered sugar and honey, but do so without contrast- make no mistake about it, this is a hop-forward ale with the likes that rarely seen. A very delicate yet hop-dominant balance throughout. Any estery fruitiness would weave into the hop matrix and inform the beer with complementary notes of tropical mangoes, apricots, and pineapple. Succulent and savory throughout, even as the beer's elegant hop flavor develops into soft resiny bitterness that grips the gullet with kid gloves in finish and aftertaste. Only the strong taste of alcohol for moderate 8% that reminds me of super glue is the only slight defect in taste.

Very creamy and delicate on the palate from the initial sip and deep into the middle portion of the palate. All the while coating the mouth with citrusy acids, diluted pine resin, and light sticky honey. The beer's carbonation develops a malty-dry finish that retains its soft malty body while contributing pleasant alcohol warmth and an extended citrusy bitterness.

When you're convinced of the impossibility of ever tasting a better IPA, something like this comes along and shows new possibility in flavor intensity, dryness, drnkability, and absolute elegance and finesse. It's hard to keep this beer off of the "perfect" line score.

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%

Holy sweet god. Thanks a ton to Kkottonmouthkngz for including two(!) of these is a random box trade. This was a huge want of mine.

Per instructions, I drank the first few sips from the can. They were amazing. Then, I poured the rest into a glass and the amazing continued.

A - Tons of hop "floaties". I was not turned off by this at all, but it's definitely not traditional for a "commercial" beer. I try avoid this when I'm home brewing, but after trying this, screw it, I'm leaving the hops in :)

S - Wow. Really...wow. Maybe the best smelling beer I've ever come across.

T - Double wow. Not the strongest or most bitter IPA I've had, but without question the best. The citrus-y flavors are off the chart, and the hops are balanced so perfectly with the strength of the beer. I could drink a lot of this really often. If only I could...

M - Perfect. A little sticky from all the hop goodness, but in a really good way.

O - Definitely the best IPA I've ever had, and maybe the best beer I've ever had overall. I can't say enough good things. Deserves its 100 rating and then some.

4.58/5  rDev -1.7%

Huge thanks to Treebs for giving this to me as an extra(!) in a trade. Thanks!

A: looks like a homebrew - tons of sediment. Pours a cloudy light gold color with a good sized head that leaves a lacing to cover the whole top.

S: excellent tropical fruit smell smell that only gets better as it warms. Citrus, pineapple, light malt, and yeast round out this beer's smell.

T: well balanced with malt, bitterness, and fruity hops flavors. Amazing taste profile that only gets better as it warms. No alcohol presence, and the bitterness accents the taste rather than takes away from it. There is also a huge malt aftertaste along with the hop aftertaste, and it stays on my tongue the longest I have ever experienced.

M: medium carbonation and medium body. It's full of very light, fluffy bubbles, making it quite an experience.

O: my only complaint is that I don't care for the floaties, but that's likely because I didn't let it sit longer than 1 hour from the time I got it to when I drank it, and my pour was poorly executed.

4.92/5  rDev +5.6%

16oz aluminum tall boy. Coded, looks like canned on 1/23/12

I get slammed with a whiff of tropical fruit hops as soon as the can is cracked. Proceeds to pour a bright tangerine color, murky, with a one finger white head that retains well and leaves nice lacing. The aroma is just insane. It feels like I'm holding actual pineapples, mangos, and grapefruits up to my nose. No hints of malt in there. Taste follows the nose, with the mango hops a bit more prevalent. This is fabulous. As it warms, a bready, biscuit malt sweetness backs up the hops mid palate. The full body, medium carbonation feel finishes on the dry side, nice and bitter, with lingering pine and grapefruit.

Can't say much more other than this being one of my top 3 DIPAs to date. Splendid, dangerously drinkable, and I need to get more.

4.79/5  rDev +2.8%

Given to me by a friend who stopped by the brewery last week - a very unexpected and pleasant surprise. Drank from the can.

I stuck to drinking from the can so I can't really remark on the appearance. Unbelievably hoppy and sweet aroma - I detected lots of citrusy grapefruit and mango, with a piny quality in very concentrated doses. It had a very tropical character, but I could already sense the bitterness that would be intermixed in the taste. Awesome smell, it literally made my mouth water. A few sips in and I was in heaven. Lots of citrus fruit sweetness, but a constant dry bitterness that I felt like I got mostly in the end of the taste. It was an amazingly complex taste that satisfied every bit of expectation I had for this beer. Mouthfeel was fairly light in weight, but had a nice zip to it and a sort of creamy quality upon swishing it around in my mouth. It brought out the best in the taste, that's for sure.

Overall, this was by far one of the tastiest DIPAs I've had. It stands right up there with the Plinys in terms of complex hoppy and sweet tastes, and it was incredibly drinkable. I'm really looking forward to the next one!

4.03/5  rDev -13.5%

Serving type can

Apperance - N/A (It says on the can, drink from the can. As far as I know... The can looks cool!)

Smell - Resin, citrus, heavy pine, grapefruit

Taste - Heavy on the citrus and tropical fruits, pineapple, orange and grapefruit really comes through, a little grassy as well.

Mouthfeel - Light and bubbly, little resin, I actually feel like I'm drinking a light IPA but know it's going to do some damage later on to my liver. Drinkability much like the Cpt. Lawrence Imperial IPA. Goes down very smooth and warms the belly too.

Overall - Excellent beer, wish I could get more but it doesn't get up to New York often especially Long Island. Had a buddy at a pub share one, and a friend from a bevy sell me one. It's good to be friends with your distro guys.

4.55/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

One of my pals went down to Vermont 3 weeks ago and picked a few cans of this up at the brewery. Being 3 weeks old, I know it's not at its prime but I'll probably never have another chance to review this.

A gorgeous shade of mango flesh orange fills the glass. Its hazy quality actually makes you want to bite into it rather than drink it. An inch of brilliant white whispy head floats on top, leaving dots of lace as it recedes.

At 3 weeks old, the nose is still fantastic. I couldn't imagine how this would smell as soon as it leaves the canning line. Tangy and zingy notes of fresh lemongrass and ripe peach immediately come to mind. Mango skin, papaya flesh, and overly ripe-sugar coated pineapple further the intensity of this juicy tropical fruit melange. A soft biscuity malt character lurks in the background.

The hops come in a more raw and resiny form in the taste with notes of fresh pine sticking to the sides of the mouth and being most responsible for the bitterness this beer carries. Fresh lemongrass criss-crosses across the tongue while soft fuzzy peaches delicately brush the front. The impression of mango and papaya skins are left behind, being slightly bitter and less sweet and juicy than their innards. A kick of overly-ripe pineapple comes through in the middle and leaves a lasting, sticky impression.

The feel of this is near perfection in my books. It's delicate, soft, smooth, and creamy without a hint of its alcohol content. It's packed with flavour and still incredibly easy to drink and highly refreshing.

I can see why this is considered the cream of the crop in the vast category of DIPA's. The bitterness is there to refresh rather than to destroy the palate. This is all about the fruitiness of the hop and that's what I love.

4.92/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Pours an inch of white head which has nice retention and leaves tons of lacing. The beer is unfiltered resulting in a hazy brew with a pale orange hue.

S - The aroma is full of floral and piny hops. There is also hints of orange mixed throughout. Really awesome nose.

M - Medium in body with moderate carbonation. Resiny feel and fairly dry.

T - The beer begins with some floral flavored hops followed by a wave of orange. Hints of pine pick up near the finish along with a floral bitterness. I couldn't make out much malt presence, nor detect the alcohol content.

A fantastic DIPA, and it works wonderfully in the can format. I really wish this was easier to obtain, everyone deserves to try this gem.

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%

Got some of these on a recent beer trip to VT. Glad In did too, man is this one killer IPA. Official review now. PT sized can...

A: A murky golden color with a 1 inch white fluffy head that fades quickly to a small lace atop the brew. Very good.

S: Awesome! A hop heads wet dream. Some piney citrus upfront quickly blended with some tropical fruit scents some more grapefruit citrus on the end. Such a well blend of hop varieties. Awesome!

T: Starts off with a mouthful of bubbles and piney malt which is quickly drowned by a hop flavor that ramps up quickly and overtakes the taste. A beautiful grapefruit / pineapple blend with a piney bitterness which sticks with you on your palate. Man, such a well blended IPA. One of the best blends of hop flavors I've had in an IPA.

M: Medium body with a hard carbonation. A creamy bitter finish. Very good.

O: All in all, yep, this is one of the best IPA's I've had. If you like an IPA that blends all flavors exceptionally well, than this will blow your mind. If you like an IPA that is just bitter and nothing else, this is satisfy, but not blow you away. A must try for the hop lover!

Have had multiple times since then and updating some things

A-Cloudy yellow orange, one finger head and rather carbonated and some lacing is left behind.

S-Citrus and grapefruit, earthy pine and grass. Very resiny

T-Waves of citrus goodness, very earthy with pine and grass. Ends with nice bitterness. What a beer Once again you taste the hop resins.

M-Medium bodied, good carbonation and the resins are simply wonderful..

O-Wow. Not an over powering hop bomb but a balanced hop force. It is a wonderful beer. I would love to be able to have it every day. I had side by side with PtE. Blew PtE out of the water. The best beer I've ever had.

4.42/5  rDev -5.2%

This is a must try if you fancy yourself a beer drinker... I really was impressed by this beer when I first tried it six or so months ago and I have been buying a few 4 packs a month ever since.

A- DRINK FROM THE CAN (its a golden sunshine yellow if you are curious)

S- Delicious

T- A strong bite of hoppy heady goodness. The sourness grabs the tongue and the bitter flavor resonates in a soft aftertaste that will make you take a second sip. The strong alcohol by volume content seems to fade into the flavor of the beer, but caution to those who drink all 4, you might soon to loose taste of the flavor!

MF- A strong first buzz similar to a 9 volt battery soon fades into a softer aftertaste, not my favorite but the beer's flavor should speak for itself!

Too bad its not everywhere, but for those of us living in VT its a treat. Make your way up to see the factory in Stowe is worth a visit If you can get your hands on some then you will understand!

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of a number of outstanding beers at the Imminent Liquidation tasting. This is a beer I've wanted to try for some time.

Ht pours a peachy amber color with excellent head retention and considerable sticky lacing. The nose on this bad boy is pretty amazing, as I pick up considerable dry citrus, dank earth, light marijuana and light pine. The nose is very, very floral in this one and is dominated by pine aroma. The flavor profile replicates the nose, and I'm impressed by the balance in this beer. While the beer is fairly dry for a DIPA, there's enough sweet malt to keep the impressive bitterness in check. Still, I'm impressed by the light tropical fruit, which quickly gives way to a blast of grapefruit bitterness. In combination, it's quite excellent. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long, prickly, bracingly citrus finish. Alcohol is so well integrated into the flavor profile... it could have been anything from 7% to 10% from what I could tell.

A very, very tasty DIPA... probably the best East Coast DIPA I can recall ever tasting (OK, not counting some of the limited release stuff from Hill Farmstead). Delicious stuff.

The balance of a unique hoppiness with just enough malt combines with a smooth mouthfeel that seems almost surreal given the style of beer. I usually feel a bit more bite in even the better DIPA's I've had previously.

It deserves the current 100 rating it has, since I can't say I've ever tasted a better version of this style. Read what everybody else has to say while I enjoy this without distraction:)

4.79/5  rDev +2.8%

"Stopped by the Alchemist cannery the other day on a recent trip to VT and sampled some freshly brewed Heady Topper. All I can say is, WOW! By far, one of the best beers that I’ve tried to date, regardless of style, and a sure ‘must-try’ for all who appreciate the finer beers of the world. Hoping that this becomes more available in MA, because as of now, there are only a few places that you can enjoy this ‘world-class’ brew. I’ve yet to try Pliny, but have read that this DIPA rivals it. If you get the opportunity to try this, it’s a must. Kudos Alchemist, looking forward to other offerings in the near future."

4.82/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Poured about 3oz into glass. Murky golden yellow, small head disipates quickly.

S:Lots of hops and citrus. Really mouthwatering.

T: I get a ton of hops mixed with orange, pineapple and grapefruit. So unbelievably drinkable.

M: Not as sticky as most DIPAs, leaves a citrus rather than bitter aftertaste.

O: I was afraid this wasn't going to live up to the hype but it absolutley did, I've never had a DIPA with pineapple characteristics before and it mixed with the other fruits and hops so well. I couldn't be happier with this beer.

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

There isn't much that can be said about this holy elixir that hasn't already been said -- aside from the fact that given the opportunity I'd probably crawl in the can to live out the rest of my years (which are most likely a good number). I get to enjoy this usually every month or so, and simply put: it's the best out there. I've had it 7 days old and 7 months old. Nothing beats it fresh but even after half a year it still tastes incredible. Pour half in a snifter and enjoy half in the can. The smell upon cracking that can will blow you away. Definitely my favorite double IPA out there and probably my favorite overall. It will never get old. The hype is real! If you have a chance to get your hands on this, do so...by any means possible. (well maybe not ANY)

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - This is what Sting was singing about in "Waves of Gold." Beautiful hazy color with slightly less head than I'd want.

S - 2 parts grapefruit, 1 part pine, half part pineapple. Just beautiful.

T - Wonderful combination of pine and tropical fruits in a very hop forward IPA. Malt sticks around in the middle and helps finish this beer in a really fantastic balance.

M - Creamy with a great hop bite. Lingers just long enough

O - One of the best out there. It has a lofty rating for a reason. I have yet to have one of the fabled "off cans", and I'm damn glad.

4.8/5  rDev +3%

I mentioned to a co-worker that I was just in Vermont and found nothing (good) locally other than 'Long Trail' and he hit me with a pint can of Heady Topper - Thanks Will !!! - I poured some into a tulip and left some in the can whilst alternating sips - and before I knew it - it was all gone !! - and i wished I had more - poured hazy and light orange with suspended spherical globules (of the hop resin?) - like a little universe of it's own in my glass - a 1 finger head that dissipated into a slight film reaching out to a 1/4 inch ring - the hops were in the air as soon as i 'pulled the pop-top' - the zing and zest of hops resin was immediate and awesome - just sticky enough with a mildly sweet finish - this beer is amazing for all the right reasons - hype be damned!

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%

16 oz can poured into a snifter. (Yes, I'm disobedient.)
8% ABV, Hard to "drink fresh" with no date. "Don't be a d-bag, recycle this can!"

Big thanks to Rochefort10NH for sending this my way! I knew this beer would be good but I should have taken his suggestion for 4 cans, not just 2. Oy.

A - Pouring slowly from the can (yeah, for review I find it necessary to disobey the can's blatant directions) Heady Topper is a fully cloudy, tainted golden apricot color. Head rises up but this beer certainly isn't heady. Low retention but delicate lace patches the glass.

S - It's hard to experience a better, fuller, hop-rich aroma. Bursting with American hop goodness, this Double IPA rocks out with bold pine sap and sticky lupulin gland resin. Citrus plays a part but certainly doesn't run the show here. Mild pineapple falls behind grapefruit and lemon zest.

T - Full-on hoppy-hoppy joy-joy, Heady Topper is laced with so much hop complexity; bold pine keeps the pace while grapefruit extraordinaire grips your teeth's enamel and doesn't let go. Sticky honey and pale malt almost becomes completely forgettable despite it's impeccable balance.

M - This can reads, "So drinkable, it's scary." I'd have to agree wholeheartedly. It could just be the explosive hop profile but, the alcohol percent isn't even perceived here. From the perfectly smooth mouthfeel to the grippingly bitter, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice-like finish, this chewy Double IPA is a pleasure to pass over the tongue.

O - I think the crude can drawing is trying to depict the back of this guy's head exploding with hops while a giant smile creeps from behind his beard. After I got my first whiff, I almost had to check the back one mine too! What a hop rush! While Heady Topper isn't the craziest beer our there, and they acknowledge it on the can, it's fantastic balanced makes it one of the greatest Double IPAs out there!

(Observation; though they exclaim, "DRINK FROM THE CAN!" the can clearly shows this guy drinking from a pint. Things that make you go, "hmm".)

Heady Topper from The Alchemist