Follow our progress ...

Heady TopperHeady Topper

The Alchemist
Vermont, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% ABV. "Drink from the can."

Added by scottum on 03-27-2004

Reviews: 2,220 | Ratings: 12,464
4.27/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Drank during a blind taste test with other top notch beers. Very solid IPA, but doesn't live up to the hype IMO. Pours light gold color with not much head. Very crisp and smooth.

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank straight from the 1 pint can (no date) at 48°F.
SMELL: Very strong aromas of mango, guava, papaya, peach, and apricot entangle with strong grapefruit, orange, and tangerine aromas along with subtle piney hop aromas. There are sublte amounts of white bread aromas that leave this practically unbalanced, but still extremely desirable.
TASTE: Strong mango, papaya, guava, peach, and apricot flavors nuke the palate. Strong grapefruit, orange, and tangerine flavors immediate follow as the previous fruit flavors grow stronger. Mild piney hop and subtle white bread flavors flow in next. Mild bitter hop flavors along with a whisper of alcohol finish off the taste theatrical as all previous flavors push on.
FEEL: Full-bodied and moderately carbonated. Goes down somewhat smooth while also clinging to the back of the throat like syrup. Finishes with a strong and unpleasant dryness.

4.68/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

One of the best IPA's I've had. Those Trillium brews have really skewed me on what is THE BEST though. Great look and aroma and awesome blend of citrus with a piney bite. Nice blend of new wave hazy and flavor of traditional standard. Got much better as it warmed up.

4.58/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hoppy citrus aroma. Hoppy start, citrus, pineapple almost a light pineapple. Very complex yet sooooo smooth. Exceptional well made. Light pepper finish.

4.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

had about 10 cans of topper over the last year or two.

easily one of my most favorite beers. would love to be able to get this more easily.

juicy, hop bomb. the standard vt iipa

4.6/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

im finally in possession of one of these again. used to live off this stuff when brewery was allowing no limits. I poured this and did not drink from the can. after I let the floaties settle I notice nice hazy light orange with minimal head retention. nice fresh nose of orange rind and tangerine. taste follows nose with up front grapefruit and pineapple with some pine floating around somewhere. mouth is a little thin but does not retract from the beer. the initial taste is followed by a surprising increase in flavor that creams your palate and works all the way to the end with dry finish. this beer is phenominal and has tons of flavor from start to finish. bright citrisy notes are abundant and my mouth puckers as the beer goes down. im drinking this after doppleganger from treehouse and dopple gets the nod. heady may not be what I remember it to be but still a world class beer that is worthy of the hype.

4.84/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a very murky pale gold in color with a billowing frothy white head that seems to hang on forever. A significant amount of lacing on the glass. Very pleasing to the eye.

Very pine forward on the aroma. Hints of grapefruit and orange seem to support the resinous pine and while more subtle, still seem to be easily distinguishable.

Holy shit snacks. This is amazing. In fact it's so amazing that in my excitement to pour the last half of the can i spilled a good portion of it all over my damn keyboard and desk! One moment while I lap it up........ OK an amazing balance of pine and citrus with each sip. Just a hint of bread. Truthfully I feel like I can pick out a continuous amount of hop profiles that seem to change from each sip. piney and earthy to tropical and floral. Heady is more complex then I expected.

To me personally this is creamy but finishes dry with a low amount of carbonation.

You should have one of these. Seriously. Like.... A lot of these. Absolutely spectacular.

4.24/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had out of a can at Cold Hollow Cider Mill in Waterbury, VT. Drank out of the can but I poured some into a cup to get a better look at the beer. The beer had this medium tone yellow appearance with great retention. Aromas were great with this slightly cooked pine and orange peel with a citrus balance that was really mouth watering. Taste follows the nose with this sharp hoppy flavor mixed with citrus of mostly orange and grapefruit. Excellent carbonation to this beer, which makes it really drinkable. Overall, a really good DIPA.

4.74/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drank from the can so I can't say much about how it looked other than it was deep golden in color. Aromas of pine, grapefruit, lemon and orange. Tastes absolutely incredible and follows the aroma perfectly, very slightly bitter and a slight floral presence. Medium bodied and carbonated. It took me a very long time to find my first can, hoping it wont take nearly as long to find more.

4.77/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: You should definitely drink this out of the can.

Smell: Big citrusy and pine aromas.

Taste: Grapefruit, citrus, with a nice smooth, floral finish. Does not taste like a traditional Double IPA. So smooth, not boozy at all.

Feel: Crisp to the core. Delicious.

Overall: Excellent beer, worth the hype.

4.06/5  rDev -12.9%

Deep Gold in color and cloudy with little head and no lacing.

Aromas of resin, pine, and citrus - grapefruit & lemon.

Taste is initial minor sweetness, followed by grapefruit and lemon, and finishes extremely resinous.

Mouthful is medium and smooth with average carbonation. Finish lingers awhile.

Another IPA that falls into the purist category (not a negative). The citrus and Hops are balanced on the nose but more hop forward on the taste. Mouthful is spot on. This isn't one for me and reminds me of La Cumbre but may be for you, give it a shot.

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: pours a hazy golden yellow color with a 1" head that falls to a thick surface covering. Mild lace develops during the session.

Smell: orange, grapefruit, lemon zest, fruit sweetness and some floral notes rise from the glass.

Taste: caramel, orange, grapefruit, lemon zest, pear, and a floral bitterness create a superbly balanced beer. Alcohol is not noticeable at all.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Crisp from start to finish, with a light dryness late.

Overall: took a while for me to get my hands on this, but it was really good and refreshing. Definitely a great beer.

Harder to get every year but always worth getting. Easily one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth. Aroma is wonderful. Taste is unbeatable. Love this beer.

4.12/5  rDev -11.6%

Against the wishes of the brewers, this comes out of the can a very light creamy yellow, but then darkens in the glass to a partially opaque yellow orange. The carbo-pillar in the center is still visible, supporting the large foam head well. Heady Topper retains an unbelievably soft, fluffy thin blanket, with spotty fluid lacing throughout.

Aromas of bright lemon, citrus, and the strongest fresh green pine I've experienced in a beer present themselves up front. This is really the first time both citrus and pine combine in this pleasant of a way for me. I'm surprised to not get any cannabic, sticky dankness, but it's a welcome absence, since that's becoming more and more prominent in the beer scene. The fact that they can hit the notes that are there so powerfully without the dank is well done.

There is more orange and grapefruit in flavor, with a very well balanced bitterness and citrus juiciness, all at once. Heady is refreshing, crisp, and dry with some bite and tang.

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

This is one of the best DIPAs on the planet. We first experienced this at the brewery, when it was open to the public. On tap, it is unbeatable and in a can still one of the finest.

Heady Topper is a world class IPA. Although the turbidity isn't as strong as Hill Farmstead or Tree House, Heady is somewhat translucent yellow. I smell some oranges, grapefruit, and lemons. The taste has some medium bitterness up front with a slightly tart, lemony note following. The taste hits early on and falls off rather quickly and cleanly for great drinkability for 8% abv. Overall, fabulous beer. Nevertheless, I think Julius surpasses Heady due to its creaminess.

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Drank half from the can and half from a snifter. I prefer it from the glass.

Looks like yellowish everyday IPA in a glass, with a nice foamy head and great lacing. It looks like a beer is supposed to look.

Smells great. Citrus and hops, oranges, peels, Grapefruit. Smells incredible.

Tastes amazing. Once you take a sip you know it was worth the hype. Incredibly smooth for a DIPA but just enough bite and citrus to stand out.

Mouth feel is solid...smooth drinking beer with perfect foamy head.

Overall it right up there with one of my favorite beers. Definitely worth searching this out if you can. Glad I had the chance to drink a few.

4.34/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had the first sip out of the can because I can't completely ignore directions. Tons of grapefruit. It pours cloudy with nice head which doesn't linger very long or leave a ton of lacing. No hop chunks in this can. Smell is very good but it didn't fully live up to my very high expectations. Taste is great and easily one of the best DIPAs I've had with the bitterness only coming in hard in the aftertaste. Crazy drinkable at 8%. That said, I'm still not sure it lived up to my expectations since I definitely prefer some much easier to get IPAs.

Right place right time. Randomly at the J Wakefield Brewery in Miami by the house just doing a flight of some of their delicious offerings when a Heady Topper emerges from the back room. Apparently a friend of a friend dropped some off to the staff and I was lucky enough to snag a nip. Sharp is the word that comes to mind. If this IPA was a person it would be well dressed in an Armani suit. Clean and crisp, sessionable if you can come across enough of them. 8% feels like 4%. Excellente.

Pours yellow, hazy with a very nice white foam head (I poured it to share it, even though it says it´s better from the can). Aroma is great, hoppy, citric, flowery, fruity, delicious. Taste is amazing, hops and malts are very well balanced and tasty. Amazing beer, getting one of these in Mexico is nearly impossible. Cheers

4.76/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Heady is one of those beers that I heard nothing but hype about for years before I finally ever tried it. I can comfortably say that it's fantastic, and that it by no means lands anywhere in my personal top beers. Aroma is an orange grove. Flavor is a forest of zesty hops and fluffy citrus. Surprisingly, to me, drinking it from the can is better than pouring into a glass. A world-class beer that might have amazed me more if I had tasted it a long time ago.

4.39/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Big, bright, hop bomb. I've had it many times and each time I tend to feel the same way. It's not my favorite IPA (or even in the top 5 - I tend to lean more toward piney IPAs) but I do really enjoy the brightness and the fruit, especially in the nose.

4.94/5  rDev +6%

My cousin from Maine from Maine brought me home a can of this. Wow this is one of the smoothest IPAs ever had. Nice Pinny taste can taste the floral hops. One big plus, it comes in a can.

4.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Damn. Thus is quite a good ipa. It's hard to go in with an open mind. I, honestly, think that I was trying to under rate it to off set my inherent bias, but i kept going back for more and more. It is quite unique and delicious. Here goes:

I'm drinking it out of the can, as instructed, but the last one I had, was out of a glass, so I will judge the visual aspect from memory. It was very cloudy, which I really loke, and I remember it had a pretty decent head. The aroma is a little tricky to get from the can, so although it is very nice, I am docking it a bit. Strong citrus juice notes. Tangerine, orange juice, peaches, mango, mild pepper, and quit a faint malt presence. The flavor is delicious as well. Candy orange, fruit juice. There is a mild lingering bitterness that is so subtle that it doesn't bother. It's just there to let you know that your drinking beer. The mouthfeel is really a knockout with this beer. It is thick and creamy, for an ipa, but it still has plenty of that oiliness that I look for in a hoppy beer. Thus truly is a phenomenal beer. Is it worth the hype? Of course not, it is just beer. However, it is fucking good.

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Don't want to be to technical with reviews so here goes MY take on this beer.

Look is really good, I like them clean, not into the cloudy/hazy stuff that seems the rage atm. Smell is what I expect from a hoppy beer. Good clean hop smell that is, not dank (not that dank is bad). Taste is pretty spot on too. Nice bite, but not to bitter that lingers on the tongue just long enough for you to want more Everything about this beer screams hops. This is, imho, a beer that deserves its standing as world class!! Thanks to my buddy that tossed me one of this after his trade!!

Heady Topper from The Alchemist