Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 6,325
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

4.15/5  rDev -12.3%

Huge thanks to Dr. DmanGTR for this brew!!!!

A: It was recommended to drink from the can, so.. uh.. it is silver in color, with some nice condensation on the outside. If I had poured it into a glass it would be a hazy grapefruit color.

S: Huge american hop aroma.. Citrus, grapefruit and pine. Slight caramel, but the hops on this are really just killer. Pungent, but not overpowering.

T: Hoptacular. Bitter, with huger amounts of citrus and tropical fruit. the bitterness is there, but takes a subdued backseat to the tremendous hop flavor. It's like drinking a walk through a hop field.

M: Medium in body, fairly high carbonation. Long lingering bitterness.

O: That's a heap load of hops.. tasty as hell, and just the thing if you want to crush a hop craving. This thing is beautiful homage to hops.

Ok, I have been waiting to taste this one for a long time now. One of customers, who has in in depth knowledge of all sorts of beers, brought one 4 pack in for me to try. He was heading up to Vermont, so he was going to buy some more.

Once I opened the can, the room came alive with citrus, grapefruit, banana and so many other perfect hoppy aromas. It was grassy and so alive. It was at a point that I was more than satisfied with the bouquet, I need not take it any further.

The first sip (from a glass) was fullness in my mouth of hops, cream, grapefruit and lots of smooth body. The after taste was just as pleasant.

From that point on, I drank it from the can. I was really surprised at just how smooth it was considering the IBU count (120)

I so enjoyed this beer, but now, I will have to wait until a second tasting of it (which should be tomorrow) Was it the best beer I've tasted? Did it have everything a hoppy IPA should have?
I dont know, but I will re- review this one tomorrow.

For now, I am 100% satisfied, that I was able to taste a legend (Dino, Thanks!)

05/26/13:
Got to re-taste a fairly fresh one....If there was a 6 rating, this would be the beer I would give it to.

08/06/13
This one was less than a week from brewing! Fantastic, even better than the ones I have had before. I guess the best way to describe this is that it is liquid GOLD

06/04/14
Lucky to get my hands on 10 day old Heady. Better and better, cant see how anything can get better, but this one was so far over the top. LOVE IT....
1 4pk remaining then I will hold back for 4 or 5 months before getting my next haul

4.89/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: cloudy, pale, golden straw color.

Smell: Hops and sunshine.

Taste: Hops, grapefruit, a hint of grass

Mouthfeel: Astringent, but not in a bad way. Clean finish.

Overall: What's not to like about this robust double IPA? This is what a DIPA should taste like. So full of hoppy goodness, I can barely stand it. Deceivingly drinkable despite the 8% abv. Scary good!

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Drinking straight from the can, as instructed.

A: It is a good can. The aesthetics of the font and the illustration are pleasing, and I dig the black tab. One of the best can designs I've seen for a beer, so I'm rating it accordingly.

S: Upon cracking the can open, I'm getting waves of pineapple, orange juice, lemon, piney resin, and some apricot, with no one scent overpowering the other.

T: Wow! Very juicy, but not overwhelmingly so. Citrusy notes of grapefruit, orange, lemon, and apricot all flow out of the can and coat the palette in a perfect harmony. There is a slight bitter hop tinge towards the finish, which is when the light, well balanced malt comes in for a smooth finish.

M: Incredibly smooth, medium bodied with a lighter carb level than I'd expect for a DIPA, but it works. The smoothness of this beer is, for me, what helps it excel to the top of the top 250. Very little alcohol presence, making this an exceptional easy drinker.

O: A superb beer that deserves it's high demand, and one that I'll be jealous of not being able to get easily once my allotment is gone. #1? Eh, maybe... I prefer Pliny, but that's just my personal taste, and I would never, ever turn down the opportunity to get more Heady in my fridge.

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Love it so much. Wave after wave indeed, it doesn't stop being good and filling your mouth.

I have only poured it out into a glass once?

Best places to grab some Heady right now is in Burlington at the Beverage Warehouse if you want a case (bring a friend! one case per person) or if you just want a loose can, Blue Donkey at lunch or Vermont Ale House both in Stowe are dependable if it is a Friday. As always, check the Alchemist website first.

Very glad to see Heady on top right now. The Alchemist had the best brewery tap room in perhaps the United States - pint of kombucha! - until the flood a few years ago went up halfway their window.

4.14/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: it pours a straw color with an orangy tan head.
S: A lot of citrus, some pine, and a hint of booze.
T: citrus, orange pithe, pine, lingering resins bitterness that coats the mouth, balanced by tropical fruit sweetness, and some booze
M: crisp and coats the mout
O: great but not the best I've had. Johnny Hash by Sweetwater comes to mind as double IPA I enjoyed more (I sadly lost my notes from that one).
It is still great, and totally worth trading to get if you can't get it where you are.

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%