Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 5,633
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Canned: Don't see a date
Drinking: 2/9/14
Setting: Living room couch watching the Olympics..Sochi!
***I am giving this a 4 for "appearance" to be fair. I'm willing to bet that this beer is not going to be under a 4. I will edit the appearance score once I try my second, which I will pour into a glass***

A: Unknown, drinking it from the can as instructed by the Alchemist! Will do a second review with my other can poured into a glass. Edit/Update to come in the near future.

S: The hop nose is more pine than citrus, but both are there. Nice resin/sappyness Almost sweet..I'm getting honey?. Citrus is a little more tamed than a normal hard hitting West Coast DIPA, but it's there. It's a nice contrast from what I'm used to. Along with this wonderful nose bouquet, I also get a tiny hint of some spice, allspice, clove to go with the pine, citrus, and honey. Maybe a little bayleave? Strange, I know, but I'm picking it up. Subtle bread/earthy malt tones underneath all of which make this a fantastic, complex aroma.

T: Seriously, this is unlike any other beer I've had. It's got a really nice pine and honey hop presence up front, which matches the nose. The malty underbelly of this beer keeps it from being like just another West Coast DIPA. It's not an all out hop assault, but a balanced beer full of all sorts of flavors which meld together like a wonderful witches brew. Or shall I say, and Alchemist's brew? Honey, pine, candied citrus, spice, rye, bread...It's all there, and wonderful
*edit*
As I continue to drink...And burp...I'm getting some herbs (in the burp). REALLY well done. How do they do that? Hahaha

MF: I can see why you're supposed to drink this beer right from the can. I normally am a glass guy only, but hey, I figured my first foray into Heady Topper should be done as the brewer requests. I'm stunned with how great this beer hits the palette straight from the can. All sorts of stickiness on the lips and tongue. Carbonation is lively and perfect, letting you experience all of the flavor complexities.

O: Yep, I'm also on board with this one. It's deserving of all the hype it gets. I was lucky to score a 4 pack which I shared with my beer loving cousin, so I've got one more left, and I already can't wait to drink it. This beer is worth searching out and enjoying because it's unlike any other beer I've tasted thusfar. Not to add to the hype, but I'm not one for lying to myself just to be a contrarian.
PS- Thanks SoB! - Cappy

JeffoC6, Feb 10, 2014

GordonShumway, Feb 09, 2014

blameo, Feb 09, 2014

Soge32, Feb 09, 2014

morebeergood, Feb 09, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So I got to try the number 1 rated beer on beeradvocate.com

I found a can purely by accident at my local distributor. I decided to drink some of it out of a glass and some out of the can as suggested.

I could not find much difference either way.

The smell of HT is outstanding. Citrus rules this beer.

The color in the glass was beautiful.

I will remember the taste for a long time. By far the best I have drank, but I am relatively new to tasting great beers.

donbet69, Feb 09, 2014

Cloaked_Phantom, Feb 08, 2014

Cory-WC, Feb 08, 2014

Ben7773, Feb 08, 2014
4.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a treat.

A- Poured from the can. I know, I know DRINK FROM THE CAN! I wanted to enjoy the visual. It's an amazing pour. Gorgeous top of white head about two fingers. The color is the portrait of an unfiltered IPA. I like it when I can't see through my beer. The color is a thick amber-orange. It looks like an orange is smothered in a thin layer of caramel. Goin hard on the imagery.

S- So complex. Hops roll with a grapefruit citrus aroma. There's a subtle light sweetness lingering in the lacing. Great aromas.

T- It hits in waves. Hops and citrus crash followed closely by the bitterness. This reoccurs several times. It's almost as if the flavors are undulating. Closes out with a very nice balance into a strong hop finish.

M- Exceptional. Great balance in the mouth. Medium mouthfeel and a nice healthy dose of carbonation that isn't too dry and actually leaves you refreshed.

Overall I think it's expected to say this beer is amazing but I can't just say that. My first experience with this beer really has me thinking that I could drink 5 or more of these at any time during the year. It's simply a great brew. The Alchemist really knows what they're doing. Cheers!

jaltland, Feb 08, 2014

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

jbh26, Feb 07, 2014

Krafty34, Feb 07, 2014
4.53/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I visited the brewery several months ago. I was impressed with the area. I think I could live there for a little while. The can says to drink it out of the can; so you can get the full deal. I agree, I did smell the beer better while it was in the can. Everyone claims to get a ton of peach flavor, but I really didn't. I got more pineapple/citrus. But Still a great brew.

Later