Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 6,277
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.11/5  rDev -13.1%

4/2/14 – consumed 5/5/14. Thanks to Scalawags for this awesome beer.

APPEARANCE: The color falls somewhere between straw pale and a very light orange. A strong head forms with the first pour and it sticks around for a while. Lacing is a little spotty, but still manages to cover a good 40% of the back of the glass.

SMELL: A lot of pine, a touch of grass and a good dose of grapefruity citrus with some hints of tropical fruit. Not as intense an aroma as I would have expected.

TASTE: This is a hoppy beer. The hops are there for the whole sip, from beginning to end, in full force. Early on there is a light toffee flavor to balance the aggressively orange citrus flavor. As the beer nears the finish the bitterer, grassy hop flavors kick in for a strong finish.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium to light in body, but more towards the medium side. The Heady Topper is dry all the way through, which makes me very happy. Carbonation is light, but with a nice little sparkle.

OVERALL: OK, the comparison must be made…I love this beer, but Pliny is better. And I may be a West Coast snob, but there are a few other West Coast IPAs that I would prefer to this. For lack of a better term this is not as “bright” a beer as some others in the category. It is certainly more balanced, but that is not always what I’m looking for in a Double IPA.

4.14/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Can to glass

Appearance - Hazy orange colour with a medium size head. Left good lacing

Smell - Floral, grapefruit, dank pine and resin some more tropical fruits

Taste - Orange peel, pineapple, pine resin, tropical fruits, slight alcohol taste. Hops are major punch to the mouth

Overall - Glad I got to try this one once just to say I did. However I don't think it's worth the trouble that people go to to get it. While it is a great DIPA it's up to each person to decide whether its worth the hype

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

Based on the last few cans of Heady Topper that I've had I have to down grade the rating a bit. I wish there was a better way of distinguishing which year or version of Heady Topper this is because it's not the same as it once was. Having said that, I did a blind tasting on 8/29/14 with the recent batches of Focal Banger, Rapture, The Crusher and Heady Topper.

It was the third lightest in color of the 4 beers with a hazy golden color. On the nose I got passion fruit, citrus peel, wet pine, orange pulp. I have to say these Alchemist beers are great on the nose.

The taste: I got some slight bitterness and some citrus. There wasn't a pop or anything special and at 8% I could still get a lot of the alcohol so the balance was a bit off for me.

Overall my blind guess was that this was Rapture but I was wrong. In my humble opinion I put Heady over Rapture but way behind The Crusher and Focal Banger. I think Heady needs to get it's act together. It is no longer the #1 beer in BA.

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%