Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 5,201
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
ThePeskyDingo

10-30-2013 19:07:01 | More by sjjn
JesseLV

New Hampshire

4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance - They say to drink it from the can, so that's what I did. Living fairly close by (in NH) I've had more than my fair share of Heady, and a few times I've shared it with friends that have poured it out. I've not seen the extreme cloudiness on these occasions, but you can definitely tell it is unfiltered.

Smell - Perhaps the best thing about this beer, once you pop open the can you get a big whiff of incredible hop aroma's. Citrus, big and bold. I like to take a little time to take it all in before I even start drinking.

Taste - Talk about balance! Many IIPA's try to bludgeon you over the head with hops or over the top IBUs, this gives you a full palate of hop flavor that isn't off putting. Not super bitter, lots of citrus hop notes, with some lingering pine afterwards.

Mouthfeel - Just right, not overly carbed.

Overall - I had heard lots about Heady before trying it, and I have to say I was expecting to be let down (as the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is). In this case the legends held true for me. An IIPA like no-other, the perfect balance of all things hoppy.

As a side note I was able to try Heady alongside Pliny, and have to say they both hold up incredibly well. Totally different beers that shine in different ways. Certain palates may prefer one over the other, but side by side you can really appreciate the different directions they take the IIPA style.

Serving type: Can.

10-30-2013 18:06:00 | More by JesseLV
br3wmeister

Colorado

10-30-2013 11:56:42 | More by br3wmeister
shadetree67

4.98/5  rDev +5.3%

Many thanks to shawnp for hooking me up with this one.

Appearance - A very cloudy straw colored beer. The cloudy appearance is expected as this is an unfiltered beer.

Smell - Hops, not much in the way of malts. Like citrus and grapefruits - smells fresh.

Taste - A perfect level of hops and the taste is similar to the smell - citrus and grapefruit. It is more sweet than bitter. Sometimes IIPAs can be overwhelming, but this is a very well balanced example of the style.

Mouthfeel - Medium amount of carbonation and it goes down smooth

Overall - This one lives up to the hype. It is very well balanced and quite drinkable. Would love to try it side by side with pliny and abrasive

10-30-2013 00:15:01 | More by shadetree67
timmy2b

10-29-2013 23:51:59 | More by timmy2b
Chuck_IPA_Mathus

10-29-2013 22:17:24 | More by Chuck_IPA_Mathus
Guess2814

I FINALLY went to Vermont and I got the Heady Topper! I felt like a little kid once it was in my hands. This beer is the best thing since slice bread.. If you haven't had the Heady Topper find a way to get this beer in your hands...I went on Saturday October 26. They were sold out of the cans.. The lady who was handing out the samples told me on Monday they will have more for sale.. Once I walked in to the brewery on that Monday... Wowww!! You can smell the hops once you walk in.. The machines were cranking! Bottles we're being filled and my smile grew. I bought myself two 4 packs.. I'm happy with what I bought BUT something is telling me I'm going to have to drive from Boston back to VT - this time I'm grabbing a case.

10-29-2013 19:44:50 | More by Guess2814

10-29-2013 18:23:29 | More by OldDave
drmcleod10

Missouri

4.81/5  rDev +1.7%

Heady Topper is at the top of most DIPA lovers lists or beer aficionados lists and for good reason.

A - Poured half into a snifter and left the other half in a can each of the four times I drank this to compare. Beautiful bright sunshine orange with pale highlights and a half inch creamy foam head.

S - smell is by far the best smelling IPA i have had a chance to try. Fresh fruits, grapefruits, flowers, pine. Not to overpowering hoppy smell.

T- My favorite DIPA to date as it taste like it smells. THe balance between the fruit and the hops is perfect.

M - Overall amazing mouthfeel. THe alcohol is hidden perfectly within this monster.

O - Found a reliable source in Vermont to pick these up for me and will be buying more when the time arises. Now that it's getting colder its time to stick to the world class stouts! This is the cream of the crop of DIPAs!

10-29-2013 15:39:14 | More by drmcleod10
gillagorilla

Maryland

4.51/5  rDev -4.7%

A regular at Max's brought in a can each day of Max's Hopfest (from notes, 8/16-18/13)

A: Cloudy golden blonde.

S: Sweet, citrus and floral.

T: Strong flavor. As unique as it smells. Even and nuanced. Flavorful. Lots of freshly mown grass and pine with malt sweetness. Big aftertaste.

M: Crispy and prickly and coarse. Nice mouthfeel. Smooth at the end.

O: One of the IPAs that tastes as good as it smells. I think a key component of any great beer, especially IPAs is the mouthfeel/carbonation/body and this one is great for conveying the flavors here.

10-29-2013 07:19:19 | More by gillagorilla

10-28-2013 18:21:57 | More by The_GrassHOPper
TheBiercast

Indiana

4.74/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Mysterious. No, I’m not trying to be cheesy. We drank it straight from the can, as suggested. Could see a little bit of golden liquid on the rim of the can as I drank it.
(Andrew did later pour one into a pint glass to solve the mystery. It is a very cloudy, deep golden yellow. There. Mystery solved, but this beer is obviously not about how pretty it looks.)

Smell: From the little punch top opening, upon popping, fragrant floral and slight citrus notes filled my immediate plane of smell-o-vision. It was very strong and helped make sense in why The Alchemist doesn’t want you to pour from the can to help contain those beautiful esters for the flavor you’re about to consume.

Taste: Upon the first sip, my very first reaction was that this beer is not intentionally wrecking my taste buds like a Bell’s Hopslam. This is what I thought I was getting into and was slightly disappointed until the hops slowly creeped in and engulfed my entire sense of taste. Heady Topper is every bit of hoppy as Hopslam, but nowhere near as harsh making this extremely drinkable and enjoyable to the novice IPA drinker. As the nose suggests, there are tons of floral notes, and as the more a drink it, there are a lot of citrus notes, but they are not bright. The citrus comes from more of the oil from an orange rind to add slight sweetness and mellow out the big floral notes. As it warms up, I started noticing some honey sweetness, so you have that to look forward to as well.

Mouthfeel: This is the best part! It’s so smooth for how intensely hopped it is! It’s creamy, but it is not to the point that it’s dictating how fast you can enjoyably drink this beer. It’s so enjoyable for a hoppy, relatively higher ABV (8.0%) beer that I was quoted saying, “I could drink this on a hot, summer day after mowing the lawn.”

Overall: Overall, I’d say this might be my favorite IPA, in general. For how balanced it is, I could always enjoy one. This is not to say that if I had to choose, there would be times that I would much rather have a more harshly bitter beer as a Bell’s Hopslam or a Founder’s Double Trouble. It really comes down to how something can be so hoppy and so drinkable at the same time. Just remember, drink it from the can. It’s worth it.

I’ll give Heady Topper a 4.8 on the ol’ trusty 5.0 scale.
Cheers!