Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 4,629
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (10) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
ygolordned

08-02-2013 01:59:31 | More by ygolordned
MaineBrewing

Maine

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

A little old, about a month, I bough two four packs on my way through VT when I went to vacation in upstate New York, so my ratings will be heavily weighted on my original impressions.

A - poured a murky orange with a slight half finger head. Leaves some nice decent lacing.

S - intense hop aroma from the can and immediately after pouring, most forward is the grapefruit, backed by slight citrus and grass notes, and a nice malt presence.

T - even after a month of age, the hop flavor is still amazing. Although noticeably less fresh. Fresh grapefruit, citrus and grass dominant matching the nose well. There is very little Bittering hops present, it does leave a bitterness afterwards but at the finish it is really smooth. There is a nice malt sweetness which provides a great balance that I think really makes this beyond great.

M - mouthfeel is medium to thick, or at least on the syrupy side, ample carbonation.

O - with a month of age, it had only lost that brewery fresh wet hop dankiness, the flavor is still huge. I feel this is excellent, but I put it at about the same level of greatness as some other great IPAs such as enjoy by and sucks. Worth the 4 hour drive to VT, but not the be all end all of IPAs.

08-02-2013 01:21:13 | More by MaineBrewing
brewskifan55

Mississippi

4.53/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks, Cliff, for procuring me this highly sought-after brew.
Poured into a snifter. (OK, I did drink from the can just to please the Alchemist gods, but it's much better in a glass)

A: Hazy orange. An off-white, half-finger head that dissipates to foam. Great lacing.

S: Red grapefruit, piney hops. Citrus. Very strong on the olfactory.

T: Follows the nose with a rush of piney hops and grapefruit that shifts the flavor into overdrive. Very smooth, a la Pliney territory. Well balanced. Resiny with a dry finish. Alcohol drops in unexpectedly for a soothing warmth.

M: Medium with medium, frothy carbonation. Let it sit on your tongue for a dance of the hops.

O: Worth the hype. I'm not a big hop fan, but the smoothness of Heady Topper makes it drinkable for anyone. Seek out. Enjoy in abundance.

08-01-2013 16:00:29 | More by brewskifan55
blknikon

08-01-2013 15:02:22 | More by blknikon
CarlosDanger

There's not much to say about this beer that already hasn't been said. It just doesn't get any better.

HT is so appealing on so many levels. The fact that it's hard to get outside VT/New England, the cool-as-hell-can and Alchemist credo on the back, ("Don't be douche!") and if that weren't enough, the beer is just mind-blowing.

The aroma is dank and almost sweet, and it tastes exactly as the nose would indicate. It's hazy and beautiful (if you decide to ignore the recommendation to "drink from the can" it would be hard to notice). I usually like to see what I'm drinking, and I do it quickly, so I don't mind losing some of the experience in order to see the product and the lacing in a proper glass.

This is a hoppy, powerful, wonderful IIPA and really the one by which all others are/should be measured. Any time I can get my hands on some, I do, and you should too.

08-01-2013 14:20:51 | More by CarlosDanger
Brianedonovan

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%

Headed up to Stowe VT next week and plan on buying plenty!
I love this beer....this is the beer that got me on this website and started me homebrewing!

The descriptions I have read in the reviews have actually helped me "taste" this beer and appreciate it more. Grapefruit....Mango...Pine...yeah, I get it now. Thank you!

Being unpasteurized is a bit of a downer since I am 5 hours away but I will make it happen!

I drank from the can as advertized and from a glass. I like the glass better, it has such a cool translucent amber color.

08-01-2013 05:02:56 | More by Brianedonovan
archiegraham

4.95/5  rDev +4.7%

I wasn't sure if this beer could live up to all the hype...

It did...

Very hoppy with excellent flavor, and perfectly balanced. Wonderful hop aroma and complicated flavor. Gets better with every sip.

My only complaint is that I would prefer a bottle over a can. And of course the fact that it's not available in PA.

08-01-2013 04:03:14 | More by archiegraham
BrewQuest

Maine

08-01-2013 01:38:29 | More by BrewQuest
drowland

Georgia

6/17/12. Tallboy shared by a dude in the BA Zhukov line. Nice pour - orange with a nice khaki head.. Wonderful hoppy aroma with lots of citrus and grapefruit, some malt backing. Nice hoppy flavor with plenty of sweet caramel backing up the bold citrus and grapefruit. Nice!

08-01-2013 01:32:57 | More by drowland

07-31-2013 04:51:15 | More by shredder83
ChuyAvocadoCafe

4.34/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Drink it out of the CAN!!! First of all; dont tell me how to drink my beer...

It hit me in the face with a nose punch! I did drink it out of the can and I was surprised to find out I can actually smell it.. Nice and hoppy with a lot of zest, lemon orange and bitter on the nose..

I just experienced the Zombie Dust previous to this Gem, and in comparison I enjoy the fact that its not as skunky and citrus laced.. Yes, there are a lot of factors involved; Where was it stored? Where was it sourced? What temp was it stored at? How many times did the delivery guy drop the cases? Nevertheless, I was taken back by this beer and I can honestly say it had a perfect balance of hoppiness to bitterness to citrus and skunk... Well done..

Super creamy and dreamy, but not what I really expected,.. More effervescence than the "other" I have tried. Im glad it had a nice ZING to it. HOLY SHIT; DRINK OUT OF THE CAN!!! Now it makes sense. Pour in to a glass and lose the effervescence, keep it in the can and get that TINGE!! GENIUS! !! Well done John Kimmich! Well Done.

Im glad I am starting my beer journey. A little late in the Scheme of things in my life.. This beer DID set the standard.. Cant wait to see what happens next..

Please let me know what to carry at www.avocadocafes.com and email me at [email protected] HELP BRING GREAT BEER TO HB CA>!!

07-31-2013 04:14:18 | More by ChuyAvocadoCafe