Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 6,277
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
4.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a glass yesterday at the Farmhouse Taphouse in Burlington yesterday. $8.00 to taste what is now a cult followed beer. I enjoyed enough to skip over to 240 Pearl Street and buy a case of 24 for roughly $88 USD. In case anybody wants to load up, delivery for Heady Topper is on Tuesday, so make sure you go when a delivery is imminent or shortly thereafter. Sitting around today and on my third can right now, and each one sheds more light on why this beer is so popular. It tastes light...fresh...and just bottom line - a real nice IPA.

Drink it from the can !

4.98/5  rDev +5.3%

What can I say about this beer, it is everything people say it is and the hype is spot on. Although, the level if IBU's have been consistent at times I can have one where the hoppiness really comes through while other times it is more gradual and the notes are released with perfection. I know that the brewery has other brews that it releases in limited quantities, but I hope they can try and produce the other options with a bit more releases then they currently offer. But no complaints they are staying true to their brew and "Heady Topper" is always on my list of brews that I would have on any given day.

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is an extremely, well-crafted beer. It is wonderfully balanced and well-hopped. Truly made by an Alchemist, or the devil himself.

I now understand why it is the #1 beer on BA. My favorites were always Pliny the Elder and Enjoy by. This one boasts them both. I immediately opened a Pliny to compare while I still had some Heady left at the bottom of my glass. To me, the Heady looks much better. The PtE is clear and the Heady is cloudy with yummy goodness. The Heady smells scrumptious and emits a better aroma. The PtE is crisp and clean and the Heady is complex tasting. PtE is a bit more carbonated than the Heady, however, I believe this Heady is nowhere near as fresh as the PtE. In the end, I love them both.

If I were to be stranded in the mountains for any amount of time and I had to select one of these to keep me company, I would have to select the Heady, and the PtE would be his backup.

Nauseatingly good.

4.49/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I drank Heady Topper a couple times from cans only, never on tap. I thought it was a great beer but not the best in the world. If I went out to a pub and they had HT , I would order and drink it over probably others because it's so hard to get anywhere outside Vermont.

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have to say this is a really good beer. I also have to say it doesn't live up to the hype of being the best beer ever. With all these hyped beers I have noticed a trend:

Limited Distribution + Good Brew = Cult Following

I did the taste test with it and Pliny and yes it's better than Pliny in my opinion HOWEVER I think there are better DIPA's than both beers out there.

O - It's a more complex IPA which I liked about it. There is a bigger malt presence and therefore not as bitter as some out there. I liked it better out of the can, which actually balanced the beer out. The beer pours like a hefeweizen. It's a great beer, but I don't know that I'd want it over some of the local options I have.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist