Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.85/5  rDev +2.3%

4.99/5  rDev +5.3%

The is an outstanding DIPA. I could drink this all day everyday. A perfect DIPA for the novice as well and the Beer Geek

A: a nice amber color
S: great hops smell of citrus and floral
T: Sweet, citrus, floral and bitter that works perfectly
M: wakes up the palate
O: no wonder it is number !

4.88/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - When I did pour this one into a glass, I was surprised at how good it looked. I'd heard it was scary to view in a glass. It is a fine looking brew...but not as deep golden as other DIPAs.

S - The smell of this brew is delightful. Hoppy and a little sweet, but not in the least bit overwhelming.

T - Well what can I say. On first sip I was shocked. I thought to myself what is the big deal. Then I had a second sip and then a third and it started to come together. This is a strong hoppy beer without the palate pinching bitterness of some of the higher IBU competitors.

M - I need to reference my above comment about palate pinching bitterness. This ale just does not have it. I don't feel the need to brush my teeth after having one. It is so well balanced.

O - I admit I went to try this beer on reputation. It really is as great as advertised. Of course everyone has their own tastes. Enjpy!

4.35/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L: What a beautiful can!

A: Big pine needle, zesty citrus, and soft fruit, very aromatic out of the can. Malt is noticeable as a slightly toasty breadiness and there is an amazing peach-like ester profile that melds with the hops.

T/M: Smooth bitterness upfront, moves into intense, pine needle and stonefruit hop character with tropical and spicy complexities. The malt character is slightly more prominent than the aroma, creating a light, toasty bread character that moves into a drying finish and a slick mouthfeel. Very complex, but the hops are always at the for-front, and the bitterness is never overly prominent. In a couple words, perfectly balanced.

Overall, this is one of the most well-balanced and complex IPAs I have ever had. I can totally understand why this is the highest rated beer on the site. The flavor is nearly perfect, and as long as you don't mind haze or drinking out of the can there is very little that you could find at fault about his beer. Every phase of the brewing process contributes to the flavor of the beer. Hops, malt, peachy esters from the 'Conan' yeast, as well as numerous intricacies I am sure only the brewing staff is aware of (ie water profile). This is a real ale, so many brewers seem to be taking the IPA away from the malt and yeast character and this one embraces them and finds balance with them. This beer is a true beer.

4.63/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had this tonight on tap at Prohibition Pig in Waterbury and can at my B&B in Stowe (the owner gets free misprints and gives them to guests on arrival if they're beer geeks)

The locals consider this the Miller Lite of VT but what a flipping awesome ML it is. I had this after 3 HF IPA/PAs and it still stood out as awesome on its own so that speaks to its epicness.

I have to say though the can is definitely the better route. It holds more of the hop profile that HT is known for.

Most already know the flavor specs so just thought Id share my experience and say the locals I spoke with rate this just behind Double Sunshine for the States best Double IPA...if only that wasn't an even more rare "whale." But whatever I'm just thrilled to have now had HT in my life.

4.58/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this beer from a friend in New Hampshire.

This is definitely the best IPA I've ever had. It survived UPS shipping to Ohio and still was good cold the next day.

A friend of mine and I split a can together and each taste was better than the last.

Highly recommend and would drink again for sure.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist