Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 5,631
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

Acropora, Dec 21, 2013

Sean66, Dec 21, 2013
3.59/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Drank from the can as instructed...

Smell wise I just got an abundance of pine and your typical grapefruit.

Taste was just a SUUUPER bitter pine bomb with some malt sweetness.

medium mouth feel and well carbonated...

Overall....Is this beer good? Yes.
Is this beer hoppy? Extremley
Does this perfectly describe the definition of an east coast style IPA? Yes
Does it deserve to be world class and rated 100 - Absolutely not. The only reason I could see it maaaaybe recieving this rating is because for a higher abv ipa...it is CRAZY drinkable.

Glennlawless, Dec 21, 2013

MightiestBeard, Dec 21, 2013
4.49/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - The beer is medium shaded yellow with a dense white head.

S - strong pine and sampling of star fruit

T - delicious; pine, grain and citrus/kumquat resonate; though the can hold the potential potency

M - well balanced potent etoh mouthfeel

Fresh cold definitely makes a difference with this DIPA

Serving type: tap

hillvt4me, Dec 21, 2013

The alchemist Deserves Credit For Focusing On Their Only Beer And making It perfect And Out Of A Can! It Is unfiltered But Color Is Consistent Surpringly Small Head For Something Named Heady Topper. It Is Very Smooth great Complexity Of flavor And You Could Drink A Lot And Forget It is 8% . A Cult Like Following And Hard To Find.

ilovebeer2013, Dec 20, 2013

JMohl3, Dec 20, 2013

j18coop, Dec 20, 2013

DayMD, Dec 20, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

JA_Douglas, Dec 20, 2013

TubaDan, Dec 20, 2013
4.66/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in trade from Bricenice, Thanks Mike!

A: okay, if you follow the directions " drink straight from the can" how can you rate appearance? So I started drinking from can then poured the second half into a FFF Teku. How anyone can rate appearance a 5 is beyond me unless you thin the can is beautiful. Appearance is a murky golden color with decent head but retention was lacking.

S: amazing, one of the best smelling beers I have ever had, tons of floral notes, cirus, pine, aroma does not dissipate at all.

T: again, outstanding. Very different than any other DIPA I've had. On par with Pliny, Dreadnaught, and Abrasive.

M: very good but not quite as smooth as Dreadnaught or other slightly higher abv beers.

O: definitely worth seeking out if you like DIPA's. Very different from most others as well, the aroma is probably the best I have ever sensed but the taste, mouthfeel, and appearance bring it down for me a bit.

Docrock, Dec 20, 2013
4.09/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a can into a tulip.

A: Very murky, hazy. Brown/yellow/orange color
S: Pine, Lemon, Bread, Sour Grapefruit, Cleaning supplies
T: Very complex. A lot of resinous pine, lemon, grain (not sweet malt), very bitter at first in the back. The complexity of it makes it so the flavor is different with every sip. Layers of different hits of flavor and bitterness and an almost Umami type flavor that cant be described.
M: Cant complain about anything here. Very full, smooth, mellow.

O: I dont know how old my can was but I know it was at least 1 month. Ive had HT before and hadnt reviewed and the aroma was much more potent and amazing. The aroma seemed to be very subdued on this can. The mouthfeel and the development of flavors from first sip to the last is the reason to drink this. Sucks, Enjoy By, Pliny, Double Jack, etc. etc. have better appearance, aroma and first taste. There is something very unique about HT though. Its definitely in a class by itself.

vitALEity, Dec 20, 2013

Tried it at the brewery on tap, tried it from the can 1 day old, and tried it from the can 6 months old.

It is said that IPAs are best when young, but this one is a little different in my opinion. If you drink it fresh, you will get a TON of bitter aftertaste. It's a little too much bitter for my liking. BUT, the aroma and front of the mouth hop PUNCH just makes me not give a shit. I've never smelled a beer with a better aroma. Hell, the brewery itself smelled like heaven. I decided to let a can sit for about 6 months and tried it again. Let me tell you, it tasted MUCH better. The bitterness subsided a bit, but the pine, citrus, and floral, almost even cereal scent was still there, and still strong. The flavor actually developed quite nicely over time. I highly recommend you try a vertical tasting of young and old.

I will go back to Heady Topper in VT and age it for a year next time and see what happens.

bball208, Dec 19, 2013

Arloxen, Dec 19, 2013

Varkias41, Dec 19, 2013
4.04/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Enjoyed once before and once after an 8 mile mountain trail run.
A: Reminds me of someone throwing up Keystone Light on an empty stomach. Hazy appearance that is not very appetizing. The appearance is not judged on the can/bottle as many of the other reviews seem to think, which just adds hype to this beer.
S: Very potent odor given off by this beer. Strong scents of pine and citrus.
T: Tastes like a hop bomb on the forward palate and then subsides into a pleasant taste. The forward taste is however to overpowering for the aftertaste and makes you want to take another drink to wash away what's on your mind. The aftertaste is actually very pleasant and worthwhile, but the forward taste kind of ruins it for me. Granted I enjoy stouts and prefer a strong malt backbone which this beer fails to deliver, I have had much better than this.
M: Very amazing body to the beer. Reminiscent of a stout's body. Very thick and coats the palate. Best aspect of the beer in my opinion.
O: Was it worth the 4 hour drive? No. Will I ever seek out this beer again? No. Over hyped beer that is not worth your effort to obtain. It is not bad by any means, but it is not a top tier beer. Even Lawson's Double Sunshine IPA(sold in Vermont) is better than this beer. I prefer Surly Abrasive Ale and Stone Double Bastard Ale over this any day. Turns out even the piss taste of Corona Light is satisfying after a physical adventure.

TheBeer, Dec 19, 2013

DeepSouthSipper, Dec 19, 2013

Vondiggity, Dec 19, 2013

kdown, Dec 19, 2013

alcjudge, Dec 18, 2013

I just tried this beer for the first time, and I have to say I'm impressed. Against my better judgement, I followed the directions on the can and decided to drink it without pouring it into my tulip.

A: Its in a can, so hard to say.

S: Floral aroma initially when you open the can, but the can limits the aroma for the most part. It smells excellent and exactly what you want a double IPA to smell like. The American hops are just trying to escape the can with no luck. I think the aroma would be better served in the proper glassware.

T: taste is excellent. Perfect. The initial taste is hard to describe, i get a little bit of the aluminum taste from the can, but it quickly takes a backseat to the overwhelming taste of hops. Very citrusy, very bitter. The taste is dry with not much sweetness from the malt whatsoever, or it could just be overpowered by the amazing taste of what you expect from a double IPA... HOPS!

M: Excellent, it's exactly the way I want my beers.

O: Overall this definitely deserves to be right where it is as a top 5 beer in the world. You can't compare it to Pliny the Elder, I think they are on different ends of the Double IPA category. I can't say which one is better because its been a couple years since I've had PTE, but this one is very very delicious. I'm going to try my next one in a glass and see if the taste even gets better!

Overall: 100/100. You owe it to yourself to try and get your hands on a 4-pack of these cans! Well worth the drive to Vermont!

JLateralus21, Dec 18, 2013
4.33/5  rDev -8.5%

Amazing beer, have had it many times as it is locally available. If it is more than 2 weeks old it quickly becomes an average IPA.

Appearance is murky, can not see through the beer though light passes through it. It is a glazen orange. No matter how cold or careful always pours with some sediment. Conan yeast gives this beer a nice creamy mouth feel.

This beer balances sweet, bitter and citrus hop qualities like no other. Great beer, will buy it as long as I can find it! The one issue is that this beer is a bit thin for my preference but the creaminess that their conan yest puts out makes up for the final gravity.

jeastman, Dec 18, 2013