Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 4,617
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (9) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
RochefortChris

05-31-2013 03:35:50 | More by RochefortChris
MVotter

4.98/5  rDev +5.3%

A - Only because I poured the first can, I can report that the Heady Topper pours into a chalice the color of straw, hazy, and an ample white head.

S - From the freshly opened can...grass aromas, fresh...just harvested hop aroma, JUST CUT, mixture of oranges and other citrus...grapefruit.

T - It's such a fresh hop flavor that you would swear that there are buds IN THE CAN. The most unique hop taste I have ever experienced, and, I was skeptical at first, but, there is ABSOLUTELY a discernible difference in the poured vs. can tasting option. In my opinion, the fresher "rawness" in the hop flavor is NOT as present if poured. The hop flavors tend toward bitter. It's not a grapefruit bitterness, it is the first time I'm going to say...this is a hop "extract" bitterness. It's not hops masquerading as an orange, a tangerine or a grapefruit. It's a mashed hop plant in your beer. Hop nation!

M - Medium-heavy. A little sticky. Plenty of carbonation.

O - Well. I would advise everyone who is fortunate enough to get ahold of the Heady to try it by the pour, and compare it to "straight from the can." I'm sure anyone who has had at least two cans in their possession has done this anyway. Delicious. Unforgettable.

05-31-2013 03:22:10 | More by MVotter
shuajw

Georgia

05-31-2013 02:24:18 | More by shuajw
oberon

4.45/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A big thanks to Roger at Bestway for GIVING me this beer on Sunday.I know it's snobbery but I can't drink beer out of a can,I hate myself but I just can't.Pours a murky kind of lemony tea looking with a thin white head,the color was hard to pinpoint.Pure hops in the nose,tropical fruit, citrus rind,deep pine resin,and sweet alcohol,all make for a volitile mix.Just hops and lots o' hops on the palate,pine resin,deep overripe tropical fruits,and some bitterness in the finish.It's oily as all get out and slick in the mouth.This beer is pretty damn raw and complex in the hop department to the hilt,bad ass.I love the hop burps!

05-30-2013 21:09:06 | More by oberon
BTVflatlander

Vermont

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Drank from the can, per its request. Having had it both ways, however, I can attest that my evaluation remains a perfect score regardless.

A: (from a previous experience) golden orange and cloudy.

S: Powerful citrus hops, a bit of pine.

T: Initial overload of citrus and tropical hops with a bit of pine under there. Faint malt that is certainly there but not overwhelming. Not overly bitter and extremely refreshing.

M: Thick and satisfying.

O: Full disclosure, I am firmly placed within the Heady camp of the great DIPA wars. No doubt, having regular access to Heady is one of the greatest joys of living in Vermont. That said, I recognize the danger of the hype surrounding a beer like Heady. I have not drank nearly enough beer--let alone DIPAs--in my life to claim to know what is and is not the best beer--or IPA--in the world. What I can say is that, before first trying Heady Topper on my 21st birthday thanks to a couple generous friends, I absolutely loathed anything IPA, having preferred stouts and the maltier side of the beer spectrum. I never understood the so-called "hopheads" when all I could taste was overt bitterness and strange combinations of malts and hops. I suspect the primary culprit is the inability of lesser breweries to achieve an ideal hop-malt balance. To this day I still cannot finish most IPAs and DIPAs. Regardless, the perfect score I've given is due to the fact that Heady made me love hops and IPAs. It is undoubtedly the best beer I've had in my short life of drinking and it would be my choice for the only beer to drink for the rest of my life. I plan on staying in Vermont as long as possible to realize this possibility. That said, don't listen to the hype, try it for yourself. Even if you don't think it's God's gift to man, few can discount that its a treat to enjoy at least once.

05-30-2013 19:22:17 | More by BTVflatlander

Fusebuddy

Wisconsin

05-30-2013 15:21:46 | More by Fusebuddy
mksolid

This beer reminded me a of a springtime night in Paris.

It's true that I was sitting in a bar in the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn when I enjoyed this fine specimen, but the bitter first hit followed by the refreshing smoothness took me to the land of cheese and goose livers.

05-30-2013 14:53:39 | More by mksolid

mmikey8

05-29-2013 18:29:57 | More by mmikey8
Dfinn1122

4.91/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Found this little brewery while on vacation up in VT. This is by far one of the best Imperial IPA's I had. It's unfiltered and has an Extremely hoppy aroma with a great balance composure of grains. I didn't believe the Alchemist brewery beer hype in VT until I went there myself. It was unbelievable! Great imperial IPA!

05-29-2013 17:05:31 | More by Dfinn1122