Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -10.3%

4.96/5  rDev +4.6%

I can't say enough about this beer, I've been drinking it consistently for over a year now, I'm from Vermont so I grab a case every Monday. I never felt the need to review it until now. As I said, I drink Heady Topper quite a bit, but this last weekend, I had the pleasure to taste it against Lawson's Double Sunshine, Dogfish 75 Min IPA, Pliny the Elder, and Hill Farmstead's Abner, and for the first time since I've been drinking Heady Topper, it had competition. I love Harpoon IPA and drink it regularly, but after a Heady Topper it's tastes like Bud Light.

Though Heady Topper was still my top choice out of the beers I have to say the Lawson's Double Sunshine is a close second. (I didn't get to taste much of the Pliny)

Anyway, back on topic, the reason Heady Topper still topped the chart for me was the hop aroma, from the smell to the taste, you can tell the hops are perfectly balanced, and fresh. They're overpowering, and that's what I enjoy in a beer.

As far as appearance, the beer is beautiful, a yellow-orange, with an amazing head, almost a perfect sight.

Smell - Unreal, from the moment you pop that can, it fills your nose with hops, try popping it and catching that first burst of air thrown from the can - there's nothing like it.

Obviously the taste is perfect, it's intense from the first sip to the last, whether the beer is a few hours old to 6 months, sure the flavor changes a lot in between then, but either way you have it, you'll enjoy it.

It's a semi-heavy drinker, it coats your mouth with fresh hops. Amazing.

Overall it's still my single favorite beer, I'd like to give it another shot against Pliny the elder, and def. against the Younger, but being from Vermont, you can't complain when you only get just a sip of the Pliny's.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist