Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

I was concerned that this would under deliver. Gladly it truly lives up to the hype. Beautiful pour. I split this pour into a sampling glass from the Garden State BrewFest and straight from the can, as suggested. Loved it all the way through. This improved with every sip. The last sip was the best as all the goodness remaining at the bottom of the can and mixes with each tip of the can.

A- Breaking their #1 rule, I sometimes pour this into a glass. (Alchemist prints "Drink from the Can" on the outside of every can) Its too good not to experience the site of it in a glass!
Pours a golden yellow / orange, very hazy. 1 finger of off white head that doesnt stay around long. Be careful not to pour the entire can! Here I do follow their directions, otherwise you discover the particles and hop resin, hey, its unfiltered. (Can't taste)

S- Dank Pine needles, pineapple and orange jump out of the can and fills the nares. A delight to just sniff for a bit.

T- Once again DANKNESS, some grassy bitterness, orange, pineapple, and slight bitterness hangs around for a long time. Some floral notes here all rolled up into one great package

M- Medium, carbonated, well balanced perfection.

O- The best beer I have ever had. Lives up to the hype. Its IPA perfection for me. If there was anything negative or constructive critisism I could offer is that this may not be an every day beer for some because it is someone heavy, calorie dense, and comes in 16 ounce cans. 2 of these may make you feel full and bloated. Besides, this shouldnt be looked at as an every day beer. It's a spectacular beer made to be slowly sipped and enjoyed once or twice a week max, IMHO. Cheers.

4.84/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been lucky enough to grab a can of Heady Topper through a friend who did a trade for it, otherwise I wouldn't have had the sheer pleasure of tasting this beauty. Living near the "Hop Highway", I'm used to good IPAs near me. Put this one up there with Pliny and Enjoy By, which are the best IPAs that I can easily get.

4.75/5  rDev +0.2%

I've tasted a fair amount of beer to this point in my life. This beer is by far the best beer I've had the privilege to enjoy. It has a very hoppy aroma, so strong in fact you can smell it in your car with the windows rolled up as you're arriving to the brewery in Waterbury, VT. It has a fantastic hoppy flavor as well.

4.85/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Trader told me this is about 6 weeks old so not the freshest but I'm not as worried about canned IPAs as far as age goes, as long as it's not super crazy old.

A- Pours a muddy hazy golden rod color, looks like a shade of preserved lemon. A medium white head that dissipated to a thin film. Pretty hazy but can still see the shadow of my finger through the glass. The second pour from the can is very hazy and has some particles.

S- As soon as I cracked the can a way of hops fills the air. It is a hop dream. Sweet, lots of pineapple and citrus. Dank pine and a mellow bitter nostril burn. All the aromas are the biggest I've experienced in a beer.

T- HUGE HOPS, sweet, dank, long mellow bitterness, pineapple, orange, light malt on the aftertaste, the hop resins stay on your tongue for a long time. 2 hours after drinking this and I could still taste the hops.

M- Easy drinking all while having a full mouthfeel that is not too thick not to thin.

O- This beer definitely lives up to the hype in my opinion. Hops to the max. They must have a huge late addition of hops in this beer. Seems like definitely some Simcoe and Amarillo in here. This is how I like my IPAs, dank, slightly sweet, fruity and mellow long bitterness. A benchmark beer for sure. Congrats to The Alchemist for having the balls to make such a huge hop aroma and flavored beer.

4.74/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served from can (duh) into a belgian glass.

Appearance is murky apricot orange with big and bountiful light cream colored head. Hazy as can be for an IPA. Massive lacing, more so than any other Double IPA I can remember.

Aroma is huge orange, pineapple, pink grapefruit, pine, parsley, and star fruit. Smells very west coast with really no malts showing up.

Taste blows up with straight hop character. Big bitterness followed by a dry herbal finish. Tons of orange peel throughout with piney highlights. Little to no dank character. Almost all citrus and pine. It goes where many fail to go though, to that point of huge bitterness that actually has complexity and balance that keeps you coming back for more. Grapefruit for days in this.

Mouthfeel is heavier side of light or maybe lighter side of medium? Definitely crisp and gives the impression of being lower in abv.

Overall, this is classic. Full of fresh hop character and a masterpiece among many brewed in the same style. Doesn't break ground in any new way but just shows what something masterfully brewed tastes like. Deserves to be in the same sentence as that which contains other world class double IPA's, but to me falls short to the likes of Kern Rivers Citra, Lawson's Double Sunshine, and the stellar Alpine Bad Boy.

4.94/5  rDev +4.2%

I was luck enough to land six in a trade recently and enjoyed 3 of them. One in the can, one in a glass, and one where I poured a few ounces into a glass at a time. Overall, best IPA/IIPA I've ever had. I'm still having olfactory hallucinations about the massive tropical fruit, mainly pineapple, aromas this beer displays. I will be trading for moe of this soon. Well worth the effort and lives up to all the hype.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist