Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -10.3%

4.27/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

First off..gotta thank Rich at South Bay Beverage in Massapequa,NY..he gave me Heady for FREE..he knew i was looking for it and had some he was drinking for himself,not for sale..so props to Rich..

Upon popping can..got really nice hop aroma,,not overly so..which was surprising..with all previous reviews i expected more hop aroma..but citrus,pine odor was very good..nice orange/amber color with 2-3 finger head..smooth taste..not as hoppy as i thought it would be..maybe that's my fault for expecting too much from this...excellent DIPA..but not best..and certainly not top beer in the world..in that respect..very overrated.

4.86/5  rDev +2.5%

Been waiting to try this beer for a looong time. It was worth the wait.
I cannot testify as to the appearance of the beer. I drank it from the can, as directed.
Before drinking it, smell it! It doesn't get any better, really. Just amazing.
It tastes as good or better than it smells. By far the smoothest double IPA I have ever had. So drinkable, yet full of rich flavors. I only had one can, I could have imbibed many more.

4.78/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Been looking forward to this for a long time. Drove up to Vermont to get me a case. Yes it was worth the trip. Had one on Tap when in Waterbury. I had my first one from the case out of the can as directed the next day I had one from a tulip glass. was impressed with the smell or nose both ways. The appearance is the weak link here. Not ugly but a little hazy you might say. Dose not effect my felling towards the beer at all though but I scored it a 4,25 to be true.

I enjoyed the Heady Topper very much. It is a wonderful beer. One I can not recommend enough. I am enjoying my case with a select few and will drive back for an other when needed.

gp

4.18/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A kind of ugly beer - I see why they suggest drinking it from the can. Pours a hazy orange with a little sediment and not much in the way of head action. The aroma is fruity - tropical, with some apricot and mango. The flavor follows suit, with mango, apricot, pineapple, and a bast of big sticky hops. The mouthfeel is big and round. This beer is at once unusual and familiar - it reminds me of the beer to which it is so often compared, Pliny the Elder, though it is bigger and fuller, both in its tropical fruit and rounder mouthfeel. It's clearly less dry than the Russian River beer. But curiously the West Coast beer to which it most closely compares, in my view, is Racer 5 from Bear Republic - they are different beers, but both are round, fruity and given to showing up with a thick orange haze. It is as if Racer 5 and Pliny crashed into one another and spawned some crazy new hybrid. Heady Topper is a very good beer, but I wonder whether the frenzy would be as great if it were produced in greater quantity and distributed more widely.

4.73/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured a hazy yellowish orange with a white head.

S: Tons of fresh fruits, orange, tangerine, tropical fruit, papaya in an incredible nose.

T: Lots of orange, grass, pine, tangerine, tropical fruit, papaya.

M: Somewhat typical of an IPA, but a bit smoother, which is nice.

O: An incredible IPA. Not my favorite, but BA inflates their ratings, and they don't weight them how I personally would, so it might look that way. I don't know. I'd give it a 95.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist