Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 5,067
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
pottergator

03-31-2013 02:49:49 | More by pottergator
Zaximus

Washington

4.81/5  rDev +1.7%

I thought my first full review should follow my first can of Heady. Thanks to patric11 for the trade on this one. Was told it was picked up from the brewery on 8/2/2013.

A - Aggressive pour into New Glarus Fat Squirrel pint yields a strong three finger head. Cloudy, peachy color persists.

S - Love the nose on a fresh IPA and this one about knocks me over. Intense floral nose. Grass. Something sweet. Just fantastic.

T - And there it is. I get sweet at first followed by a nicely balanced bitterness and perhaps a little alcohol at the end. Delicious. Though I do get a little alcohol I get the feeling I could drink quite a bit of this on a hot summer day. Subtly different from many of the IIPAs I've had. Not sure what that taste is but it's delicious.

M - Full. Almost a little creamy with just the right amount of carbination.

O - Fantastic. Very well balanced. Not overly hoppy. Just very well done. As advertised.

03-31-2013 02:48:22 | More by Zaximus

03-30-2013 22:45:03 | More by adamcarlson28
Lukafer

03-30-2013 22:07:18 | More by Lukafer
msondel

I made it up to Waterbury last weekend and had my first (and 5th) Heady Topper on that visit. I went into the weekend figuring it couldn't be as good as all the hype. I also doubted whether drinking anything out of a can would be one of my best beer drinking experiences. I was blown away by how great this tasted and by how drinkable it was. I had a game plan to try the first one in the can (per the instructions on the can) and then try one in a glass so I could see what I was drinking...I scrapped this plan after tasting how good the first one was in the can. The rest of my tastes were directly from the can. Apparently there are only two places that serve this beer on draft (the brewery and the Prohibition Pig)....the rest of the places in town serve it in a can (when they can get it).

Warning: we went up on a Friday night and it was very hard to find any stores (including the brewery) that had any for sale...only places that had it were bars and the rest of the places were waiting for the next release on Monday. Therefore, plan your trip for mid-week if you want to ensure you take some home.

I'm hoping the expansion of the cannery makes this beer more available....looking forward to the next one.

03-30-2013 18:28:01 | More by msondel
sben88

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Though a very good IPA, I wouldn't consider HT in the same breath as either Pliny. I think with this beer we have an extreme case of confirmation bias. I can think of 5 or 6 other beers I'd rather drink. I drank my first HT a couple hours after it was canned.

03-30-2013 17:09:02 | More by sben88

Louisiana

03-30-2013 09:03:50 | More by ldhughes3
TheFugitive

4.91/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a goblet style glass also sipped from the can <not recommended

A: Copper orange color with a two finger head

S: Hops and Pine dominate this one

T: Heady Topper is the finest DIPA avaialble. The balance is perfect, I wouldn't change a thing. Big Hops and Pine, finishes with a huge burst of citrus, it's like no other DIPA

M: Carbonation and body are light to medium, very easy drinking

O: As good as it gets

BChertow

03-30-2013 01:00:07 | More by BChertow
dfillius

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

Poured gently into a pint glass
A: 1/2 finger of off-white head with good retention. Hazy/cloudy greenish orange. I'd like less cloudiness, but could it be as hoppy without this?
S: Juicy citrus and tropical fruit. Man Candy. Papaya, a lot of pine, slightly dank. Slight sulfurous allium. Slight esters in the finish are the only sign of alcohol in this beer.
T: Brilliant hops are quite bitter up front but stop shy of soapiness. Middle of the taste into the aftertaste is citrus and fruit from hope. The end is not punishingly bitter but is assertive. Delicious. New waves of hops cascade over each other, as opposed to many other DIPAs that build in estery quality as they warm. Perfect.
M: Bright, bitter, full but not chewy. Not hot or boozy at all for its 8%
O: A very good to great DIPA. Assertive hops and bitterness, little to no maltiness but full feeling. Fresh hop flavor with bold American character.

03-30-2013 00:43:46 | More by dfillius

Nubicks

03-29-2013 20:29:37 | More by Nubicks
Bauzen

4.98/5  rDev +5.3%

This is not a balanced beer by any means. If you're a hops lover, this beer certainly celebrates it like no other. It's almost comical and whimsical if I had to think of fundamental words to describe it. When you first crack open the can, you get hit with a sledgehammer of aroma; notes of citrus and pine hit you hardest. With every sip, the bitterness provides for a lingering complexity that makes this beer unique.

I found myself laughing at the experience of the entire first can. Not sure how much of it was the reputation that preceded it, but I enjoyed every sip like a fat kid knee deep in chocolate cake. I only wish it was more easily accessible in NYC. As of the time of this review, it's available exclusively at Uncle Barry's in Park Slope, Brooklyn via Union Beer distributers.

03-29-2013 20:22:20 | More by Bauzen
aslamm75

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

03-29-2013 18:32:31 | More by aslamm75
vicsju1991

A - (only poured a little out to see) cloudy, kinda apple juicey, small white head, but since your supposed to drink it outa the can, amazing can art, really cool looking and nice write up on the beer.
S - huge mix of pine and floral hops
T - perfectly balanced between both hops and malts, and floral and piney hops
M - very easy to drink, slightly creamy, very smooth
O - quite possibly the best beer I have ever had, totally worth the wait it took me to get in pa, the perfect IIpa

03-29-2013 17:31:48 | More by vicsju1991