Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 5,449
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

mpayne5, May 28, 2013
4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

I have been an IPA nut for years now and nothing has compared to Heady Topper. The combination of hop bitterness and citrus flavor with a great mouthfeel make it nearly a perfect beer. I first tried HT back in December and since then have been yearning for more. I have tried to consume more available IPAs but nothing has compared, even other world class beers such as Double Trouble and LagunitasSucks. So today I went up to VT with some friends and picked up 6 cases. No more worrying for me. Its a shame more cannot try this great beer.

putnam118, May 27, 2013

KohlbeckM, May 27, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

701beer, May 27, 2013

pugartheterrible, May 27, 2013

A buddy of mine brought this beer down from Vermont.. I AM COMPLETELY IN LOVE. The HOPS are fully vibrant and tasty. I have never drank anything as full bodied, as at times I did not believe that a beer so wonderful could be crafted in the USA. However, I am in love with this beer.. I am hoping to have it again one day.

Hess_E, May 27, 2013
4.96/5  rDev +4.9%

Finally got my hands on a 4-pack of cans. Enjoying my first as I write this review. I think I'm in love.

Appearance: Pours a hazy light amber, huge white head. Yes, I poured into my IPA glass despite what it says on the can. Beautiful look to the eye. Can't wait to sip.

Smell: So much going on here. Hops, hops, and more hops. Also smell the grapefruit, orange, and citrusy aromas. Even out of the can, this beer brings a lot right to the nose. This is a DIPA that's for sure. I could smell this forever...

Taste: Just what I would expect. A ton of hops, but balanced well with the malt. Very citrusy on the tongue, so much flavor to compete with the hop abundance. Just a joy to drink and my tongue begs to go back for more.

Mouthfeel: Not too heavy, not too light. Somewhat bready, but not too heavy. Very easy drinking and enjoyable for the ABV and the amount of flavor.

Overall: I was a bit unsure about the hype and somewhat figured the high rating was due to the rarity of this beer. Now I know that it is for real. The taste, aroma, and overall character of the beer beg me to come back for more. Thank God I've got three cans left.

Absolutely worth seeking out if you can. I do hope their distribution expansion plans come to light and we see this in the Boston area soon.

Mikecap, May 27, 2013

jwps214, May 27, 2013

Jeremy_H, May 26, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

larrynevins, May 26, 2013

Houser, May 26, 2013

cowboy83, May 26, 2013
4.49/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bought from a Charity Auction with the proceeds going to "Open the Taps": A grassroots organization of Texas craft beer consumers.

Even though the can says to drink out of the can, which I did with the first can, I poured this one into a duvel tulip glass so that I can see what it looks like. Now I know why they want you to drink it out of the can . . . it is a murky nasty yellow. It's just not an appealing looking beer. With that, it does pour out with a good three finger white head with good retention and great lacing.

The scent is amazing. I have a bad nose and often can get any scent off a beer. After pouring I set this glass down next to the computer, walked away, and then when I came back I could smell the aroma of green hops. If my nose can catch a scent without putting my nose in the glass, it gets a 5.

If we're grading this off the style . . . then I have to say this, I don't know if this is an true Double / Imperial IPA. I would expect the best of the style would have to be a well put together hop bomb. This isn't a hop bomb by any measure . . . but it IS well put together. There is the hop punch, but it's well balanced by orange flavor and pine. The bitterness finishes the flavors very well.

The mouthfeel is well carbonated. I would have to say I'd like the body to be just a tad heavier. There is a noticeable alcohol burn for only 8%.

Overall, this was well worth the extra money I spent for three reasons: this is a high quality brew, the rarity of it in Texas, and for the GREAT things orgainizations like Open the Taps has done for Texas Craft Beer Consumers during this Legislature session. PROSIT, Ya'll!!!

whoneeds8, May 26, 2013

linnymtu, May 26, 2013

NW2285, May 26, 2013
4.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent in a manner I don't need to explicate, since everyone else has already done that. It's not, however, the beer beer I've ever had, nor even the best recent-vintage IPA. The hop profile is wonderfully vareigated and citrusy, but also gets a bit unpleasantly heavy in the back end. The malt is totally subordinate to the hops--as is customary for this new style of IPA--but in order for this to work the hop profile must balance itself perfectly. Heady's doesn't. It comes close, and the beer is still a joy, but it's not quite perfect.

In sum, very good. Excellent, probably. But Zombie Dust beats it by a mile.

mynie, May 25, 2013

JJSmash, May 25, 2013

jealmanzar, May 25, 2013

ajzy, May 25, 2013
4.98/5  rDev +5.3%

Absolutely love me some Topper. This is by far one of the best beers that I have had. The only other beer in my opinion is the triple play ipa from Lawsons. They upped their production so its pretty easy to get. Still sells out the day of delivery though..

mriley1984, May 25, 2013

Billpare, May 25, 2013
4.53/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Canned 5/15
Big thanks to wyatt13 for sharing a can!

Appearance - Hazy, light yellow. Nice and fresh. Light head that disappears fairly quick. Didn't pour much in the glass. Just enough for a quick look. Drink from the can!!!

Smell - Big. Lots of pine. Background grapefruit, and a little bit of orange peel.

Taste - Massive hops, as expected. More of the citrus comes through in the taste. Astringent pine as well. Big bitter aftertaste that lingers. Packs one hell of a wallop too. Halfway thru the can, I was already buzzed.

Mouthfeel - Heavy body (for a DIPA), medium carbonation, semi-dry, semi-sticky finish

Overall - A damn fine beer, yes. #1 beer ever? Probably not. It tastes very natural, very raw and overall, very nice. If you love hops, you'll love this. Keep your expectations in check though. It's simply an awesome DIPA. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't compare it to Pliny. Two totally different beers, in my opinion. And both are great!

sbxx, May 25, 2013

jkeefe1800, May 25, 2013

EricDu, May 25, 2013
4.91/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Received in a trade from Jeremy6566. Thanks for letting me get my first taste of Heady, greatly appreciated. Poured a little from the can just to see what it looks like, and consumed the rest from the can as advised.

A - Pours a very hazy golden yellow color with 1 finger of white head that hangs around for a while.

S - Smell is pure hoppy goodness! The majority of the hop smell is of the tropical fruit variety... mango, passionfruit.

T/M - The taste of citrus is very dominant on the first taste. On second taste, I get the mango and papaya. Get combination of flavors, and a great resinous hop flavor left on my tongue. Medium mouthfeel, really good carbonation.

O - Winner winner, chicken dinner! This beer is the real deal for any hop head out there. This brew hits all the right notes with me, and I have a hard time finding any flaws with it. Great smell, amazing taste, no alcohol burn. If I could only have 1 IPA to drink for the rest of my life, this would be the one. Cheers to you Jeremy, for without you this awesome expierence would not be possible.

Rizalini, May 25, 2013