Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 10,160 | Reviews: 1,975

4.82/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from the can into a tulip glass...

This can was bought in mid-September. Poured a hazy rich goldorange with over 1 finger of off white head. This faded to nice lacing on the glass. Light carbonation noted.

First whiff is hops and then the citrus presence, namely grapefruit, pine and some other hints. So nice on the nose but it doesn't give away anything about what's coming in the tasting....

Remembering that this has been sitting in the fridge since mid-September I figured there would be some difference between this and the one I had at the brewery. I wasn't too far off. The hop profile has softened slightly but the first notes are the hops, then the citrus, other fruit hints and pine. The beer is still so balanced there wasn't one flavor that stood out above the others. Certainly the malts haven't taken over and dumbed down the flavor profile, it's just a bit mellower than when fresh.

Medium body for me with a clean, fresh taste and a dry, hop finish. Smooth all the way through. Lower carbonation than what I remember but I don't mind a bit.

Overall this beer lives up to its name. As I compare it to other DIPA, this one is still at the top of my list, even one that's a little older and less-fresh than right out of the brewery. Awesome job Alchemist and hopefully I'll come by some more of this down the road.

Cheers!!!

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Made the 7 hour round trip to acquire this wonderful beer.

I can't really add much that hasn't been already said. I tried some in a glass and some out of the can and the can is the way to go. Really enjoyed having this beer nice and fresh.

This is a perfectly balanced beer. Killer hops! It says 8% but this will knock you on your butt after a few.

Will make the trip up to Vermont again!

4.29/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Let me preface this by saying, I'm not much of an IPA hop head. But a buddy scored this and I had to try it out of the can followed by in a glass. I actually like the glass offering better, but here goes: Poured from can into DFH snifter. Great looking light pale yellow beer with an inviting 2 fingers of head. Straw hues and a bit of cloudiness. Smell is awesome. Citrus hops meet earthy/pine hops. Getting grapefruit and apricot on the nose. Taste was pretty balanced and smooth for such a strong announced IBU. For not a big fan of the style, I was glad it went down as easy as it did. More pronounced fruit as it warmed. The can offering just seemed a bit less flavorful? to me than the glass. Feel was great with a medium heft and carbonation that was pleasant. Overall: The best IPA I have had, but again it's not my wheelhouse. I liked the citrus frontend and balance. I can see where those who love the style would really like this. I would drink again and think it's a must try.

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

4.82/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance is a can, I followed the instructions and I'm glad I did.
Aroma is like no other, peachy, pine, intense tropical fruits, blueberry, pineapple.
Flavor is so tropical, extremely complex and well balanced beer.
Just bitter enough but flavors of pineapple and peach linger on the tongue.
Mouthfeel is like a creamy ipa. It coats every corner of your mouth.
I see what all the hype is about.
I'm so thankful to be able to try a fresh one (canned on 11/11/13) here in Alabama

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

4.98/5  rDev +5.3%

Without a doubt this is my favorite beer. Although the instructions on the can say to drink from the can I have on occaision used a glass, which is my prefferred beer drinking method. When you first open one you are hit with a wonderful smell that is not matched by any other beer I have ever experienced. The flavor of this awesom double IPA is very hoppy yet slightly fruity at the same time. There is something else unique about the tast but I cannot put it into words. I guess I find it robust and strong but smooth at the same time. The limited avaiablity undoubtedly adds to the mystic of this beer. I usually only get to have some about twice a year. Whenever I drink other IPAs I always mentally compare them to Heady Topper and they alwasy fall short, even if they are very good. For me nothing tops Heady Topper!

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Heady Topper from The Alchemist