Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.74/5  rDev 0%

Lightly chilled 16 oz. can. Picked up last Wendesday outside Burlington, VT. Poured a couple oz. into a shaker to get a look at it, the rest stayed in the can as per the brewer's printed plea.

Look- Hazy straw, a ~2 oz pour gives me three fingers of foamy off-white head that falls slowly, very nice lacing.

Smell- Dank, resinous, herbal with a buried citric quality. Whoof. Pungent. Mild sweetness, rosemary comes to mind. In your face, but not astringent or abrasive. Excellent.

Taste- Nothing too flashy, but ready to wow you nonetheless. Fresh, pungent hops explode on the taste buds. Bitterness is low, much lower than anticipated- just gobs and gobs of hop flavor. Herbal, nondescript tropical fruit, fresh pine, ginger, light sweetness that lingers. Light white toast backbone with a touch of honey. Lingering fresh, light feel.

Mouthfeel- Medium-full body, juicy, soft but present carbonation. Goes down easy... too easy? Cool, clean finish, light dryness. Did I mention clean? This stuff begs to be drunk. I could chug this- and I'm pretty sure that's a bad thing.

Overall- Very, very nice. Easy to see how they'd limit it to 12 cans/person even with a year-round release. Not the most flavor-blasted or bold DIPA on the market, but it's... quality. Don't know how else to put it- these guys aren't messing around, it's one of the freshest and most well put-together beers I've ever had the pleasure to drink. Unique mellow-ish flavor balance- perhaps the most "balanced" DIPA I've had, who knew that was a thing? Drool-worthy.

4.5/5  rDev -5.1%

4.89/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: golden yellow with orange hues, white fizzy head, very hazy

Aroma: explosion of citrus and slight pine on the nose, biscuit notes, clean yeast

Taste: wonderful. Simply wonderful. Awesome balance of citrus hops with solid and noticeable biscuit notes, which are much more noticeable than in most DIPAs. The bitter but not overly so finish completes a great swig.

Mouthfeel: full bodied, big, but very drinkable. Medium finish which is nice, makes you able to come back for more drinks more often unlike some DIPAs that's are so bitter that you can only really take one sip every 5-10 minutes medium carbonation.

Overall: without question one of the best DIPAs I've ever had. Very balanced and very flavorful with huge notes of citrus and biscuit balancing each other. Medium finish and drinkable body makes for an incredibly well made beer.

I love this beer a lot and appreciate the fact that such a good beer is made in my home state, It will get you twisted pretty quick because to me I couldn't really taste the alcohol but instead the delicious floral hops. When I was at Nectar's bar, everyone had a Heady Topper!

4.25/5  rDev -10.3%

4.25/5  rDev -10.3%

4.5/5  rDev -5.1%

4.53/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance was cloudy and golden with a coppery-orange hue; moderate, bone-colored, head retention.

Aroma is very hop-forward but in a gentle well crafted manner. There is no obnoxious bright green hop attack, rather, a soft blanket of perfectly picked hop bouquet. There are wonderful notes of fully bloomed flowers and RIPE stone fruit with the citrus quality of the hops rounding out the nose.

Taste is pleasantly sweet caramel on the attack followed by, as they say, "wave after wave of hoppy goodness on your palate." The balance of bittering hops, aromatic hops and malt notes is the best I have ever enjoyed. Absolutely terrific DIPA.

Overall, I would drive 4.5 hours one-way to get this beer again. Awesome beer to share with friends that appreciate well crafted beer.

4.69/5  rDev -1.1%

Original review 9/8/13:
I acquired 2 of these in a trade with abilow33 - I'll be reviewing the first which I'm drinking in the can per recommendations.

A: 4.0 I can't bring myself to give a 5 in appearance when I can't see it...
S: 5.0 Huge citrus and hop bomb immediately after opening the can.
T: 4.75 Very sweet, citrusy, floraly with pine on the back end. There is a slight dryness on the tongue in the aftertaste.
M: 4.5 Well carbed, smooth, but the dryness in the end prevents this from being perfect.
O: 4.5 Lots of hype around this one, understandable so. I can name a couple beers which I've had recently which compare to this more so than the ratings would suggest. I am very glad I was able to get a couple of these, but it's nothing that I would trade for again - not when readily available are Stone Ruination, FFF Dreadnaught and Bells Two Hearted.

Edit: rereview on 2/21/14
Acquired more via trade. While drinking and reviewing my original review, I can't bring myself to change any ratings. Surprisingly. I can however, and obviously, say that it is worth trading for more than 1 time. Having had more beer than I care to count in between my original review and now, I can say that Heady is one that I have consistently looked forward to. There just aren't any other IPAs that can capture the essence of hops the way The Alchemist does with Heady. Cheers, 'till the next one!

Heady Topper from The Alchemist