Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 6,253
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
4.06/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a hazy orange with a finger of beige head that fades into a thin layer with a little lacing.

S: Grapefruit, citrus rind, and pine dominate with dank weed notes also present. There are grassy and herbal aromas underneath it all.

T: Similar to the aroma, grapefruit and pine dominate with earthy citrus rind and dank weed flavors underneath. The finish is moderately bitter with grassy characters and caramel malts.

M: Medium body with carbonation on the lower side of moderate, this beer is slightly oily feeling but avoids being watery.

O: A pretty good DIPA overall. Lots of earthy hop characters without being overly bitter. I wish the aroma were a bit more pungent, but what's there is nice.

4.98/5  rDev +5.3%

Okay, so this is my second Heady experience. My first one was during a bottle share with a good friend of mine, and what followed felt magical. I couldn’t believe the flavors I was tasting, and feeling, and comprehending.

Now, 8 months or so later, I got my hands on a second can (thanks to the same friend), and just cracked it this morning. I finally ventured to pour a small amount into a glass (completely against the very big and bold instructions on the can to “DRINK FROM THE CAN”) But, I just had to see what it looked, felt, and tasted like out of a snifter. I was a little disappointed to say the least. I’m glad that it tells you over and over on the can to drink from it, because it was really pale in color, with a light IPA flavor to it. NOTHING like the powerhouse I had remembered… Thankfully I had just poured 2-3 ounces.

So, now that I was following instructions and drinking from the can, my second taste of this amazing elixir was just as memorable as the first. It is an incredibly resin-y beer with just absolutely incredible hop flavor. The resins coat your tongue BUT beg for more at the same time. The flavors dance on your palate for just long enough that you need more. This beer, at 8% is crushable, but also begs to be sipped, savored, and enjoyed. They tell you to drink it fresh because they’re always making more… but an 8 hour drive isn’t in the cards all the time.

The Alchemist, you brilliant, brilliant brewers. You sell over 90% of your product from your own brewery…. And I know that you know you’ve made one of America’s best beers. And I know that you are proud of it… and you should be. This gem is to be savored, enjoyed and drank straight from the can. Do it, don’t even consider pouring this into a glass… just drink it from the can. Lick your lips, say “ahhh” and beg your friends to get in their cars and go buy more.

4.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Canned just over a week ago. For this review I poured it into a snifter, I just need the aroma and carbonation release.

Appearance: An ugly looking beer. An orange/yellow color sits with the murkiest body of an IPA I've ever seen. The unique appearance of this beer has some charm and mystery to it. A solid finger of lacing on the pour with an average amount of lacing randomly left on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Once I popped the can open, the hops explored out. Sitting in the glass, an extremely potent combination of straw and tropical fruits. The grass and pine notes provide a biting bitterness while the fruity accents lighten up the aroma. The bitter tones no doubt dominate but there is plenty else going on here.

Taste: The sweet tropical fruit lacing hit the palate right away. The grass and straw tones burst through on the front as well and provide delicious bitter front. The bitterness is beautifully matched with bright hop tones and a balanced malt backbone. I really think the malt is key here. Allows the hops to have a bright presence yet keeps them grounded and balanced. The finish is some sticky hops and sweet malt. Not sure if there is anything I would dream of changing about this part of the beer, simply wonderful.

Mouthfeel: Balanced in every way it should be. Not much else I can say, this is what an DIPA should feel like.

Overall: This beer is so much more then just another hop bomb that you continually see today. A beer with truly complex character, balance, and hop presence. I got a case of this from a friend and thought about trading some, but I think I'll just be selfish and keep them all. An all-timer in my book, no doubt lives up to every bit of the hype.

4.96/5  rDev +4.9%

Popped the top on the can and was blown away by huge citrus and pine. The smell alone is worth the price of admission.

Took a sip from the can and found it to be a little malty with big citrus flavors. I immediately have to take another sip. It is very well balanced and drinkable.

After a few more sips I poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint to get a look at this amazing beer. It's a pale yellow with a creamy head and is very cloudy with hoppy goodness.

Overall, I am blown away by this beer. I actually had a friend from work bring me back a case from Vermont for my 4th of July party. Now I have to look at 23 of these sitting in my fridge for the next few days.

Maybe we can get by on 18?

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

4.41/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Was very excited to try this beer and wanted to see if it could live up to the hype. Obeyed what the can said and drank this out of the can, but poured a little out to see the color. It was a golden color with a little cloudiness.

Smells of pine, citrus and tropical fruits with a huge wave of hops. It smelled completely different than anything I have had before. The taste followed the smell as it was a complex combination of sweet, sour, bitter hops. That's as detailed as I can get because I can't really explain what it was. From sip to swallow the flavor was constantly changing.

Overall I don't know if this would be the best tasting beer in the world for me, but it was definitely the most complex and interesting tasting beer I've ever had.

4.59/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

First off thanks to my cousin Michael for shipping me a case of incredible North Eastern beers that incorporated a 4-pack of Heady Topper. He is dripping with beer karma indeed.

Appearance: very light straw color with significant haze and chunk; looks a lot like the consistency of cigar city's jai alai with regards to it's floaty fish-food. Significant, firm, head.

Nose: Unique; hops-forward but very earthy, intense hops, pine and pitch/asphalt; biscuit/grainy right behind the hops

Taste: Pine resin, chewy hops, round rotund mouthfeel, up front bitterness smoothed out by a perfectly balance malt backbone; highly quaffable still; incredibly balanced, hops lingers on the tongue in equal amounts with grainy and clean malt flavor

Overall: impressive. hyped to the point of disbelief and still surprised me a little with it's uniqueness. I don't know if this is the "best beer on earth" but it is certainly unique and wonderful in it's own way.

World class ipa not just for the hopheads but in general. Even if you do not like ipas you have to give this a try. It's like biting into a hoppy pineapple without a hint of its true abv. Simply amazing. Follow directions and do not pour in a glass...

4.24/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

16 oz. can pours a cloudy, deep, golden color. About an inch of white head falls quickly to a dusting. (4.0)

Mega hop aroma.... YUMMY! Mainly tropical fruits, with some herbal & tea notes. It is really inviting, it begs me to dive in. (5)

Its flavor is hop forward, but not overly so. Nice balance between sweet, ripe tropical fruits, and its herbal bitterness. (4.25)

Could maybe use a bit more carbonation. Its heavy body, and minimal carbonation are like a hop-syrup. (4.0)

Great aroma, and taste, but falls short in feel. Almost weird: one mouthful has a sweet finish, the next bitter. (4.0)

Its either an IPA or DIPA, not sure which one. Reveal is HEADY TOPPER... WoW I remember this being an almost perfect beer in the past. Wonder if its me that changed?

Heady Topper from The Alchemist