Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 10,126 | Reviews: 1,967
4.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from the can. Aroma is very strong, lots of floral hops. Pours a nice golden color and white head. Taste is very strong hops that take over the more you sip it. It is one of the cloudiest beers I have ever seen. You can taste the resin right away and it is not a bad thing! This is my favorite DIPA to date.

4.63/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A can traded to me by a fellow BA. What a nice gesture! A 16 oz can of the top rated beer and they tell you to drink it from the can.

Well...the first thing I did was ignore that rule because I wanted to see it and smell it. IT didn't have much head but is the cloudiest IPA I have ever seen. A very peachy color.

Nose is along the pine side with oils and caramel. Very distinct once again.

Taste: I have had lots of IPAs like everybody else. And I have had all ends of the flavor spectrum. This one falls deeply into the citrus and tropical end in my book. At the end of the drink there is a more west coast hope profile. Very complex and very balanced but yet not with the typical malts. This is really a distinct beer and really enjoyable to drink. Isn't that what matters? Something new and different and not over the edge?

The mouth feel is quite mellow and the alcohol is warming.

I must say this beer is a nice treat and would buy it constantly if it were available around here. Definitely worthy of it's head of the class rating.

4.91/5  rDev +3.8%

Special thanks to Jake Holland for providing this delicious beverage...

One pint can. Mostly consumed from the can (according to instructions on the can), but I poured a small amount into an IPA glass to review appearance. No date on can, but it was fresh...

A - Hazy mango colored liquid with a thick head. Plenty of carbonation. Cloudy, but no particulate. Delicate lacing as beer receded.

S - Intensely fragrant. Orange and some tropical fruit. Honestly, I poured very little into the glass, so I could experience the majority of it from the can. Very likely more scents to detect. Maybe next time if I get a case, I'll spend more time developing this area of the review...

T - WOW. INTENSE FLAVOR. Tart mango, lemon, and pine followed by a delicious hops bath. Significant emphasis on the wonderful hops in every swig. Very well balanced with some bready malts. Orange-rind finish. ABV is not completely hidden and compliments beer very well.

M - Luxurious foamy hop bath (had to say that again). Felt light and foamy in the mouth, but also very filling. Can't imagine it could be improved.

O - I am ruined for life. I will now continuously explore more opportunities to get my hands on more of this sweet nectar.

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really don't feel the is anything I "can" add to this wonderful beer the only reason it feel short of perfect is because I can't drink any other beer with it, nothing before and nothing after. If I drink something before I simply don't enjoy heady as much and if I drink something after I lose the desire for beer. Other then that it is wonderful, But I have to session it by itself have 2 or 3 and call it a night.

3.75/5  rDev -20.7%

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Heady Topper from The Alchemist