Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 10,151 | Reviews: 1,973
4.81/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a snifter.

Well, here goes nothing.

Pours an extremely hazy golden yellow. No chunks as I've seen some people say. Poured a little light so I only received a one finger head. But it has nice retention.

This beer smells so so so fresh. I can't describe how fresh it smells. Tangerine and grapefruit on the nose. I can smell this beer from the other end of my table. No alcohol presence. Smells wonderful.

Taste is of fresh hops and citrus. Very well balanced. Fruit esters at the forefront. As soon as the beer hits my mouth it's tangerine and grapefruit. Very very fresh. Hops dominate the rest of the taste. The middle and end of the sips are all hops. Very fresh and balanced. Not too bitter. Very earthy.

Mouthfeel is great. Perfectly carbonated. The carbonation really keeps the flavors alive in your mouth and gives a nice bite on your tongue.

Overall this is a wonderful beer. Number one in the world? Eh... Not sure. That's something you'll have to decide for yourself. But what I can say is that it's an amazing beer and well well worth the try. If you can get it, get it. Drink it and enjoy.

4.71/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.47/5  rDev -5.5%

So here it is. Never thought I'd get a chance to try it, or if I did I'd have to pay a ton to get it, which I wouldn't at this point, so I guess this makes this a rare and valued occasion, for which I am indeed grateful.

Appearance: Though I'm trying to drink some out of the can, I'm also pouring it into a North Brewery snifter / tulip glass to get what's coming from all the supposed eye candy. Retention is decent, though not spectacular, but what's great about this beer is the haze within the color of it. Pour at least some in a glass, people. I imagine you are. It's a gorgeous yellow-orange-copper hue, hazed up beyond belief, looking more like a dirty Witbier than a DIPA.

Smell: An amped up and balanced bouquet of effervescent fruit, being orange, lemon, pineapple, and probably many tropical indigenous fruits I've never had or may never have. There's definitely a good amount of sweetness going on here too. Not sure if that's from any additional sugars or honey malt, but they're there. Really, though, the heady rush of beautifully crafted ingredients is there. Each whiff reminds of this or that or this or that, but either way, this is up there.

Taste: What gets me most about this beer is how this isn't necessarily a hop bomb, as I maybe thought it would've been. I guess even if the IBUs are up, the point, as with, I imagine, all good beers are, is that it IS balanced. That said, again, there is sweetness, and not the point of being cloying, but man, it's there. But I imagine it's there because of necessity. And again, honey malt? Honey? Brown sugar? Anything else added here to quell the said monumental hops? The finish is insanely long, the good and balanced sweetness is there, and the fruits are monumental without being overpowered by bitterness.

Mouthfeel: One of the best if not the best things about this brew. Heavy enough, yes. But insanely velvety overall. Not perfect, but close.

Drinkability: It's impossible to say what's the best, but as far as DIPAs go, this is up there, at least in my top three. Many are, I imagine, saying the same thing, versus some you've reviewed and have in your mind, with matching characteristics and equally good balanced. Don't pay an arm and a leg for this, I'd say, but I'm thrilled I got to try it, and if it comes across again, I'll definitely be one who's ready to crack it open and enjoy it.

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Finally trying the famous Heady Topper, thanks to an awesome gift from Ljudsignal!

Poured half into a tulip, drinking the other half from the can to get both experiences.
Pour is translucent bright orange-yellow, like orange juice, with a fluffy white head that leaves slick lacing. Smells AMAZING. Waves of flowers, mango, pineapple, passionfruit, melon, grapefruit, orange, lemon, lime, pine...best smelling beer I've ever had. Now the taste...
Taste is perfect. Sweet malt backbone quickly bows out of the way to seemingly infinite hops. Tropical fruit, melon, berry, citrus, pine, herbal/leafy, bitterness...it's all perfectly balanced and in harmony with itself, the malt, the mouthfeel...this is a perfect beer. Amazing!
As far as from the can, it's a slightly more concentrated experience and is amazing in its own way as well. It's somehow simultaneously managed to taste complex and amazing while being incredibly refreshing as well. I know now why this is the only beer The Alchemist makes...it's because they've perfected it.

Thanks again to Ljudsignal for sending me this amazing beer and giving me the opportunity to try the [currently] best beer on BA!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Heady Topper from The Alchemist