Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 6,286
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

Got a case from zrab11! Cheers!

This beer is great! As most other reviews will tell you.

More importantly the can is the best part! You can drop it and beat the heck out of the can but the beer will still taste just the same!!! You should really only drink from a can! And please recycle and don't be A D-Bag!

4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

I have been an IPA nut for years now and nothing has compared to Heady Topper. The combination of hop bitterness and citrus flavor with a great mouthfeel make it nearly a perfect beer. I first tried HT back in December and since then have been yearning for more. I have tried to consume more available IPAs but nothing has compared, even other world class beers such as Double Trouble and LagunitasSucks. So today I went up to VT with some friends and picked up 6 cases. No more worrying for me. Its a shame more cannot try this great beer.

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

A buddy of mine brought this beer down from Vermont.. I AM COMPLETELY IN LOVE. The HOPS are fully vibrant and tasty. I have never drank anything as full bodied, as at times I did not believe that a beer so wonderful could be crafted in the USA. However, I am in love with this beer.. I am hoping to have it again one day.

4.96/5  rDev +4.9%

Finally got my hands on a 4-pack of cans. Enjoying my first as I write this review. I think I'm in love.

Appearance: Pours a hazy light amber, huge white head. Yes, I poured into my IPA glass despite what it says on the can. Beautiful look to the eye. Can't wait to sip.

Smell: So much going on here. Hops, hops, and more hops. Also smell the grapefruit, orange, and citrusy aromas. Even out of the can, this beer brings a lot right to the nose. This is a DIPA that's for sure. I could smell this forever...

Taste: Just what I would expect. A ton of hops, but balanced well with the malt. Very citrusy on the tongue, so much flavor to compete with the hop abundance. Just a joy to drink and my tongue begs to go back for more.

Mouthfeel: Not too heavy, not too light. Somewhat bready, but not too heavy. Very easy drinking and enjoyable for the ABV and the amount of flavor.

Overall: I was a bit unsure about the hype and somewhat figured the high rating was due to the rarity of this beer. Now I know that it is for real. The taste, aroma, and overall character of the beer beg me to come back for more. Thank God I've got three cans left.

Absolutely worth seeking out if you can. I do hope their distribution expansion plans come to light and we see this in the Boston area soon.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist