Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -10.3%

4.18/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Bought a case of this from The Alchemist on Memorial Day, have been making my way through it over the past month. Sat down to do a couple proper reviews of it in the last week or so, so these notes are on cans that have ~3.5 weeks on them.

Appearance: Poured into a snifter (note: I drank most of my case from the can, but I wanted to actually see it at least once). Poured a murky, impenetrable orange-yellow with a sudsy finger and half head.

Aroma: From the can or in a glass, this beer has just an incredible smell. Tons of hops, piney, resiny, dank, a little floral, some citrus. Citrusy notes seemed more prominent when it was fresher.

Taste: Some malt up front, but I don't think I could say much about it, because immediately afterward the hops showed up in force. Serious bitterness with some spiciness gave way to a more balanced finish. Noticeable changes in flavor from malts to hops to finish for me. No traces of alcohol that I can detect.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, medium bodied, tending towards chewy but staying quite drinkable. I liked how this beer felt.

Overall: It was interesting to drink this beer as it got older. The first can I drank, on the day it was canned, was pretty incredible. The last can I drank, just under four weeks old, was a very good, solid beer. Insanely tasty and drinkable, lived up to the hype for me. Glad I was able to try it.

4.66/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to JOSHMAN for this one (and three others)!

As best I can tell from the information I have, this was canned on June 3rd, 3 weeks ago.

First review of Heady Topper on a "Drink from the can!" experience:

Poured from a can into my mouth.

A: Silver, black. Picture a guy drinking beer from a glass, but his head is exploding with hops. That's about what this looks like. Clean and shiny. Not really sure how I can even grade this. I'm resigned to just giving it whatever my "overall" is.

S: Sweet, sweet hops. Earthy and citric aromas come strong out of the can immediately upon opening. A little spiciness lingers, almost like the faintest hint of a cologne, but in a good way. Strong citrus aromas of pineapple dominate. I could sniff this beer all day, but I've resigned to drinking it.

T/M: Follows the nose pretty closely. A little more carbonation up-front than through the rest of the sip is delivered... maybe the can, maybe just my perception. Lots of sweet citrus on the body, with a little dank earthiness following. A lingering bitterness follows along with a little more earthy flavor and feel. The bitterness in this emerges almost after all other flavors have begun to die off but doesn't dominate the flavor profile while sipping. Body has nice, sweet malt character that doesn't dominate the beer, but does provide a sweetness to this that is very nice with all of the citrus. Alcohol doesn't show up much at all in the taste. The mouthfeel overall is just about perfect for the style in terms for gravity, but the lingering finish feels just slightly off, like I'm trying to get something out of my mouth rather than keep it there. Still very pleasant. Really drinkable.

O: Really happy with this beer. I will need to try it side by side with Pliny to really sort out the nuances of each, but each is great in its own right. I'm finding myself drinking this dangerously quickly -- I am pretty glad I don't have enough of these to just enjoy at will and open in series, or I could end up very drunk very quickly. I was worried that this beer would be a little too dank for me, but that really hasn't been the case at all. I don't suspect that the beer has "lost" this since canning, so I think perhaps I just had unfounded worries. Great beer.

4.25/5  rDev -10.3%

4.5/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks to Dee at Bobby's Liquor for this one!

I did venture to pour out some precious liquid for a look and what followed appeared very similar to a Saison. Straw in color, murky an opaque, with a decent amount if head that, surprisingly, did not lace well. No floaties, either. No wonder they say to drink from the can! Aroma is super piny with a lot of passion fruit: mango and pineapple mostly. It's prickly. Even some spice, like allspice but much more mild. Flavor starts off spicy: similar to cinnamon or allspice. I get bitterness from the start, but its mild and inviting. It's also somewhat malty: some biscuit and white bread crust. The bitterness gets more intense and the pine and resin shine through. It's not super bitter. The feel is more watery than viscous. The carbonation is low for the style, but the hoppiness jumps out just like a higher carbonated beer.

This was a wild ride, but at the end of the day I have to jump through so many hoops that I'd rather just get a Pliny every other week.

3.75/5  rDev -20.9%

4.85/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

a) silver and black can with a neat logo :) its hard to judge this since the can so explicitly says to drink it from the can...not sure what a proper # rating would be since you can't actually see the beer.

s) smells like lots of hops, very tasty hops. i also pick up some resinous pine needles mixed with quite a bit of citrus, floral and fruit. smells awesome.

t) gotta say it has lived up to the hype. it is surprisingly citrusy in flavor, with plenty of pine and hops and hints of fruit.

m) it makes me pucker a little bit but not in a super bitter kinda way. it has just the right about of hops and it is so smoothly blended with all the other subtle nuances. feels light in the mouth with good carbonation.

o) fantastic beer. i had been sitting on this beer for 3 nights before i tried it and the anticipation was a bit ridiculous (i mean its just beer) and it totally delivered.

4.93/5  rDev +4%

I recently had a chance to taste the legendary Heady Topper, and it was truly a ground breaking experience for me. This is the essence of what most IPA's strive to be, but come up a bit short. The aroma is floral and fruity in all the right ways, the head is moderate when poured, and the appearance is a thick, luscious, golden color with it's unfiltered qualities lending to it's bold appearance.

The taste...oh the taste. This is an experience to be had. The taste is magnificently hoppy, but unlike many hoppy beers, it is not bitter, does not have a puckery sensation, and has an incredibly smooth, subtle aftertaste. At 8%, you'd believe that this was a tasting beer with the mounds of hops present, but this could easily turn into a session beer (if you're not careful).

This is beer crack. I want more.

4.82/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a slightly cloudy amber color with a stark white bubbly head. The aroma is great. The second the can pops you can smell the hops. The aroma is of piney hops and floral hops. It smells like an earthly flower shop. The taste follows suit, there is no ripe your face of bitterness just a great blended flavor. The malts are there as the backbone, but the hops play out with piney earthy hops up front before a floral and citrus hop flavor comes through at the end. The mouthfeel is perfect. Overall this beer is as good as advertised. A great beer a must try.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist