Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 4,859
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (11) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
Brown120

04-30-2012 03:21:16 | More by ranrad
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%

Several cans, from the can. Aroma is a burst of juicy fruity hops; pinneaples, mangos and oranges. Some wet grass and resinous hops which tends to fade as the beer gets older. Taste: I’d say it is the best tasting double IPA I’ve ever had. Flavors are very coherent with the aroma. Definitly hops at its best. The perfect level of bitterness with a sharp citrus touch. Balance and drinkability is through the roof and alcohol is very well hidden. The ultimate beach beverage

04-30-2012 00:02:22 | More by Luk13
jmdrpi

3.85/5  rDev -18.6%

16 oz can, no date.

appears a hazy rust orange color with tons of floaties. bright white head that fades. obviously this is why they want you to drink from the can.

aroma is hop forward obviously. orange, lemon, cut grass, slightly earthy too. taste is super cirtusy. a touch of biscuity sweet malt, but not much. tasty though if you're looking for fruity citrus hop flavors.

medium thickness, but it coats the tongue, a bit oily. good carbonation level, but I'm not a fan about the oily feel.

good, but not sure it lives up to the crazy hype and higher price. seems quite similar to other citrusy DIPA's. still glad I got to try it though.

04-29-2012 22:06:17 | More by jmdrpi
lovindahops

4.98/5  rDev +5.3%

I can't believe I forgot to review this beer! I grabbed a case when I was in Vermont. Poured into my alchemist pint glass

A- heady pours a bright orange body that glows as it touches down in the glass. A plethora of floaties are all around. Much more than Smutty Finest and Flower Power. Great white lacing on the sides of the glass, although the head of foam faded. Just a completely hazy orange brew that is definitely different than anything I have seen before

S- this is the Armageddon of hops! A whack of citrus and piney hops that is the most massive I have ever come across. So tropical and completely exposes you to a complete whiff of hop resins. This is no question, the real deal. I feel like this glass could be an air fresher of hoppiness that never fades. Very impressive

T- unbelievable flavors. The citrus and piney flavors are simultaneous and provide and delicious blast of sweetness in tune with the bitterness. I can't recall any experience that is quite like this other than flower power and pliny. The taste experience is totally positioned for a bold hop experience. So much flavor meshing into a flawless taste

M- talk about a curtain of hoppiness draping your mouth with flavor. This is so delicious with flavor all over

O- Heady and Flower Power represent the east coast shouting back at the west coast saying we can do this too! This is an incredible experience of drinkability coupled with an onslaught of hoppy flavors. What a DIPA! I need more! Come to Syracuse Alchemist!

04-29-2012 17:55:50 | More by lovindahops
wiu992000

04-29-2012 16:47:06 | More by wiu992000
PretzelsNBeer

04-29-2012 03:53:28 | More by PretzelsNBeer
Coleybeerman

4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

Welcome to Massachusetts The Alchemist Heady Topper!

A - Poured into a Duvel glass with a hazey orange color and a thick head that dissapated quicker than I expected.

S - Piney, Ctrus, Resinous Herb like nose if you know what I mean!

T - Spicey hop bitterness. Warm alcohol, with a resinous piney Citrus flavor that lingers.

M - Full body with a bitterness that imparts an almost chewable mouthfeel.

O - I really enjoy the aggressiveness of the hop aroma and abv/hop forward flavor and mouthfeel.

When it comes to beers of this caliber I am not looking for smoothness.. I like my senses to be awoken and this beer delivers.

04-29-2012 03:35:28 | More by Coleybeerman
richkrull

Wisconsin

04-29-2012 03:34:17 | More by richkrull
drgarage

4.55/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Enjoyed from a can with a small glass pour to get a sense of its appearance.

A: Very light golden to pale yellow appearance with vigorous carbonation. Big head with minimal lacing. Bubbles constantly rising toward the surface and then plunging down deep. Much less cloudy than I had been led to believe.

S: Huge pine hops, sweet citrus overtones. As big a hop nose as I have ever encountered with none of the harsh or onion esters that can ruin a really nice thing.

T: Damn. This is a world-class DIPA. Is it better than Elder? I'm not sure. It's definitely in the same class. Big, rich citrus and pine out the wazoo. Totally love this stuff. Can't believe this doesn't have wider distribution while Lagunitas goes everywhere. I like the Lags, but they've never bottled a beer this good. If Sucks tasted like this, I wouldn't drink any other IPAs.

M: Perfect for an IPA, a little bit of stickiness but mostly just crisp and refreshing with a lot of lingering big hop flavor.

O: As good as hyped. Seek this out if you can find it, and then hoard what you get your hands on.

04-29-2012 01:52:16 | More by drgarage
Evan

Maryland

04-28-2012 22:40:07 | More by Evan
MrBURTON55

04-28-2012 18:17:18 | More by MrBURTON55
kbuzz

4.45/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the 16 oz can into a schooner-style glass. Can't come up with one single advantage of drinking from the can...plus I can't review the appearance that way (did take a sip or two from the can in between refilling my glass and it didn't affect the taste at all). No date found anywhere.

A: The appearance isn't overly impressive, really. Pours a cloudy light orange/copper color. A half finger off-white/eggshell colored head fades rapidly, but there is plenty of carbonation bubbling up through the beer. There are floaties! My favorite thing to see in beer...not that I doubted it would be, but it's definitely unfiltered.

S: Smells very juicy and absolutely hop forward. Lots of citrus - orange, lemon, grapefruit primarily.

T/M: Despite the description, this is a very bitter IPA...definitely smacks you with it up front...then gives way to hop flavor with plenty of citrus - mostly grapefruit and lemon notes. A bit of pine in the finish. I'm glad not to get the orange in the taste that I got in the nose though - not my favorite flavor. If I didn't know how to make beer, I'd never guess that there was any malt in this whatsoever. Finishes with a near perfect dryness for an IPA.

O: This is a raw, down-and-dirty, throwback beer. Haven't had one like this in a good long while. My favorite thing about it is that it's different from the other big DIPAs that everyone gushes over. The market is begging right now for a more traditional, citrusy, good ol' Imperial Hop Bomb - which is what this is.

04-28-2012 17:34:29 | More by kbuzz
superdan73

Connecticut

4.78/5  rDev +1.1%

It's as good as advertised. Period. If you're lucky enough to find a can, don't pass it up. I could go on and on about the nose, head, color, mouthfeel and finish but everyone else has already said it. In my book, this is the king. It ruined me for other IPAs and until I can find more I'm drinking Sculpin and Deviant Dales.

04-28-2012 02:50:19 | More by superdan73