Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 4,748
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
View: Beers (10) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
Mattylegend

John_M

Oregon

4.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of a number of outstanding beers at the Imminent Liquidation tasting. This is a beer I've wanted to try for some time.

Ht pours a peachy amber color with excellent head retention and considerable sticky lacing. The nose on this bad boy is pretty amazing, as I pick up considerable dry citrus, dank earth, light marijuana and light pine. The nose is very, very floral in this one and is dominated by pine aroma. The flavor profile replicates the nose, and I'm impressed by the balance in this beer. While the beer is fairly dry for a DIPA, there's enough sweet malt to keep the impressive bitterness in check. Still, I'm impressed by the light tropical fruit, which quickly gives way to a blast of grapefruit bitterness. In combination, it's quite excellent. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long, prickly, bracingly citrus finish. Alcohol is so well integrated into the flavor profile... it could have been anything from 7% to 10% from what I could tell.

A very, very tasty DIPA... probably the best East Coast DIPA I can recall ever tasting (OK, not counting some of the limited release stuff from Hill Farmstead). Delicious stuff.

03-04-2012 20:51:01 | More by John_M

03-04-2012 14:32:03 | More by rdell17
HaizmansBrain

03-04-2012 13:56:26 | More by HaizmansBrain
CAPorter

The balance of a unique hoppiness with just enough malt combines with a smooth mouthfeel that seems almost surreal given the style of beer. I usually feel a bit more bite in even the better DIPA's I've had previously.

It deserves the current 100 rating it has, since I can't say I've ever tasted a better version of this style. Read what everybody else has to say while I enjoy this without distraction:)

03-04-2012 01:16:18 | More by CAPorter
demdog8

4.8/5  rDev +1.5%

"Stopped by the Alchemist cannery the other day on a recent trip to VT and sampled some freshly brewed Heady Topper. All I can say is, WOW! By far, one of the best beers that I’ve tried to date, regardless of style, and a sure ‘must-try’ for all who appreciate the finer beers of the world. Hoping that this becomes more available in MA, because as of now, there are only a few places that you can enjoy this ‘world-class’ brew. I’ve yet to try Pliny, but have read that this DIPA rivals it. If you get the opportunity to try this, it’s a must. Kudos Alchemist, looking forward to other offerings in the near future."

03-03-2012 22:25:33 | More by demdog8
Fubar1453

4.85/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Poured about 3oz into glass. Murky golden yellow, small head disipates quickly.

S:Lots of hops and citrus. Really mouthwatering.

T: I get a ton of hops mixed with orange, pineapple and grapefruit. So unbelievably drinkable.

M: Not as sticky as most DIPAs, leaves a citrus rather than bitter aftertaste.

O: I was afraid this wasn't going to live up to the hype but it absolutley did, I've never had a DIPA with pineapple characteristics before and it mixed with the other fruits and hops so well. I couldn't be happier with this beer.

03-03-2012 20:05:51 | More by Fubar1453

03-02-2012 02:18:37 | More by GehenHerzog
billybrew21

Connecticut

4.99/5  rDev +5.5%

There isn't much that can be said about this holy elixir that hasn't already been said -- aside from the fact that given the opportunity I'd probably crawl in the can to live out the rest of my years (which are most likely a good number). I get to enjoy this usually every month or so, and simply put: it's the best out there. I've had it 7 days old and 7 months old. Nothing beats it fresh but even after half a year it still tastes incredible. Pour half in a snifter and enjoy half in the can. The smell upon cracking that can will blow you away. Definitely my favorite double IPA out there and probably my favorite overall. It will never get old. The hype is real! If you have a chance to get your hands on this, do so...by any means possible. (well maybe not ANY)

03-02-2012 02:13:56 | More by billybrew21

03-01-2012 05:16:39 | More by beermebaby89113
raveskdr

4.6/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - This is what Sting was singing about in "Waves of Gold." Beautiful hazy color with slightly less head than I'd want.

S - 2 parts grapefruit, 1 part pine, half part pineapple. Just beautiful.

T - Wonderful combination of pine and tropical fruits in a very hop forward IPA. Malt sticks around in the middle and helps finish this beer in a really fantastic balance.

M - Creamy with a great hop bite. Lingers just long enough

O - One of the best out there. It has a lofty rating for a reason. I have yet to have one of the fabled "off cans", and I'm damn glad.

03-01-2012 01:47:07 | More by raveskdr
JoeBloe

4.83/5  rDev +2.1%

I mentioned to a co-worker that I was just in Vermont and found nothing (good) locally other than 'Long Trail' and he hit me with a pint can of Heady Topper - Thanks Will !!! - I poured some into a tulip and left some in the can whilst alternating sips - and before I knew it - it was all gone !! - and i wished I had more - poured hazy and light orange with suspended spherical globules (of the hop resin?) - like a little universe of it's own in my glass - a 1 finger head that dissipated into a slight film reaching out to a 1/4 inch ring - the hops were in the air as soon as i 'pulled the pop-top' - the zing and zest of hops resin was immediate and awesome - just sticky enough with a mildly sweet finish - this beer is amazing for all the right reasons - hype be damned!

02-29-2012 18:33:58 | More by JoeBloe
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

4.73/5  rDev 0%

16 oz can poured into a snifter. (Yes, I'm disobedient.)
8% ABV, Hard to "drink fresh" with no date. "Don't be a d-bag, recycle this can!"

Big thanks to Rochefort10NH for sending this my way! I knew this beer would be good but I should have taken his suggestion for 4 cans, not just 2. Oy.

A - Pouring slowly from the can (yeah, for review I find it necessary to disobey the can's blatant directions) Heady Topper is a fully cloudy, tainted golden apricot color. Head rises up but this beer certainly isn't heady. Low retention but delicate lace patches the glass.

S - It's hard to experience a better, fuller, hop-rich aroma. Bursting with American hop goodness, this Double IPA rocks out with bold pine sap and sticky lupulin gland resin. Citrus plays a part but certainly doesn't run the show here. Mild pineapple falls behind grapefruit and lemon zest.

T - Full-on hoppy-hoppy joy-joy, Heady Topper is laced with so much hop complexity; bold pine keeps the pace while grapefruit extraordinaire grips your teeth's enamel and doesn't let go. Sticky honey and pale malt almost becomes completely forgettable despite it's impeccable balance.

M - This can reads, "So drinkable, it's scary." I'd have to agree wholeheartedly. It could just be the explosive hop profile but, the alcohol percent isn't even perceived here. From the perfectly smooth mouthfeel to the grippingly bitter, freshly squeezed grapefruit juice-like finish, this chewy Double IPA is a pleasure to pass over the tongue.

O - I think the crude can drawing is trying to depict the back of this guy's head exploding with hops while a giant smile creeps from behind his beard. After I got my first whiff, I almost had to check the back one mine too! What a hop rush! While Heady Topper isn't the craziest beer our there, and they acknowledge it on the can, it's fantastic balanced makes it one of the greatest Double IPAs out there!

(Observation; though they exclaim, "DRINK FROM THE CAN!" the can clearly shows this guy drinking from a pint. Things that make you go, "hmm".)

02-29-2012 02:36:17 | More by BeerFMAndy