Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 5,223
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
plumcrazyfx

07-21-2012 02:10:13 | More by bump8628
Rado

07-21-2012 01:53:15 | More by Rado
TBoneJones

My first review of a beer I choose this one, kindly sent fresh from the northeast. I preface, this offering is being tasted on an afternoon where, sometime following this review i will be trying my first Pliny TE (having arrived simultaneously).. Heady Topper: As a lover of American craft brew for 3 years and having tried, in my mind, a good deal of DIPA's (considering I didn't become a craft beer advocate until relocating to Texas oddly enough), I am more than enthusiastic about this tasting.The hop bouquet is blowing my mind, and in a well-balanced way. Expectations of this beer are met and slightly exceeded (they were phenomenal expectations prior to sampling). Pineapple/ citrusy greatness abounds. With this beer it seems as if I've never appreciated the mouthfeel of this style until now. There is no drawback here. Tasty beyond belief. Balance is impeccable, yet i need to stress how the hops flourish here... is this Simcoe and Citra? Well i dont know, that I wonder though. Anyway out of curiosity I poured a bit less than 1/4 of the can into a Chimay chalice for a visual. I really appreciate an unfiltered IPA made well (prior to this my affinity was for the now-shelved DFH Squall). Im liking the look of murky golden when I know everything else about it is sublime. The lacing with Heady is incredible, and again lacing is something I continue to appreciate but with this beer in a glass it was sticky city (and this from a beerman who spot cleans his glassware well). But yes I have to agree with the brewmastery of Alchemist where the recommendation is to drink from the can. Yes you will surely love it in glassware, but if you love true hop heaven, you will be best to press lips to aluminum.

07-20-2012 22:51:25 | More by TBoneJones
jmhart

Georgia

07-20-2012 21:35:05 | More by jmhart
ColdPoncho

4.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks cam!!!!

A - Unfiltered and unpasteurized is, I guess, what makes this beer so cloudy. But yeah, it's basically an opaque amber kind of color with a substantial white head that leaves a thick film. Really good looking.

S - Tropical fruits, citrus (orange), grass. It's a complex nose and very dynamic with temperature.

T - A good fruity flavor that has just a perfect amount of balancing bitterness. It's sweet (pineapple), for sure, and like the nose, different characteristics come to the fore as it warms. A really well balanced and complex drink

M - It's definitely got a full body to it, but it's not too thick. It's very smooth, and a touch drying

O - Look. My memory's not great, but this is one the best hoppy beers I've had. I wish I could stock my fridge all the time with it. It really approaches perfection as much as you can reasonably expect something to. It's a benchmark kind of beer.

07-19-2012 22:21:39 | More by ColdPoncho

nycubd

07-18-2012 17:55:31 | More by nycubd
Photo of

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

07-18-2012 17:46:55 | More by

07-17-2012 02:03:13 | More by ianskate
middletonman2001

Maryland

4.95/5  rDev +4.7%

I had heard alot about Alchemist in the beer world and had yet to try any of their beers. The other day I was in Waterburry and decided to find their brewery. Apparently the brew pub was flooded badly during hurricane Irene along with the rest of Waterburry. Luckilly their new 15 barrel canning brewery was not damaged and now produces Heady topper exclusively. I went into their store and they were selling Heady Topper for $12 a 4-pack as well as a Glutein-free saison, but I was only interested in the Heady Topper, which is fairly hard to get a hold of unless you are in the Waterburry/Burlington area of Vermont. I live in north eastern Vermont and I hadn't seen it around, but have heard it can cost alot more than $3 a can in some gas stations.
I have allready drank the first 3 cans on a camping trip so iv'e decided to review my final can. The can says not to pour it out into a glass because it releases the essential hop aromas that they wish to retain. I decided to pour about a 1/3 of it into my 16 oz Long Trail pint glas just to see what it looks like. It has a light brown oily look to it with a good amount of head when poured quicly but it then disipates to just about a quarter inch or so. There is no comparison in smell between the can and when you pour it into a glass. When you first open the can and you put your nose to it and strongly inhale, it gives off a fantastic potent citrus piney smell that is boarderline orgasmic. If I could live in the can I would. Its similar to when I home brew and I take a big whiff of a bag of Cascade Hops, but you can smell the different layers of Hops, which is quite complex.
I am a big fan of IPA's and this double IPA does not disapoint. The taste is fantastic, at 8% you don't taste any alcohol that you would expect at a 8% ABV. The reason is the hops, you definitely taste hops, very crisp clean taste of citrus and pine, but very fresh at the back end, it doesn't have the bad sour after taste like some IPA's. I definitely do recomend you listen to the brewer and drink it out of a can, you just don't get the same experience out of a glass, which makes me wonder if I would order it at a bar, but probably I would because even out of a glass you would be getting a fantastic beer. I was skeptical about all the hype that this beer was getting, but I have to say this product definitley lives up to it. I'm never good at picking a favorite anything, but this would definitely be in my top 3, an absolute must try.

07-17-2012 00:48:21 | More by middletonman2001

RMoeNay

07-15-2012 14:06:38 | More by RMoeNay
gonzowestwood

Had on Tap at the Blind Tiger some months back... from notes

A- a cloudy pale straw unfiltered delight

S- juicy, fruity, hops, hops and more hops. Pine, some grapefruit and a little orange peel. Also a touch of malt

T- just simply unbelievable. a hop head's wet dream

M- This is were this beer shines. Its so unbelievably smooth and well balanced

O- This is a perfect beer. Nothing else comes close. Was lucky enough to have side by side with Lawson's 'Double Sunshine', Hill Farmstead 'Galaxy' and 'Society #3' and Heady is better hands down.

07-15-2012 02:37:49 | More by gonzowestwood