Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev -5.1%

I wish this beer was a fruit or a vitamin. I wish it was a soap. I wish it was my girlfriend. I wish it was my job. I wish I needed it to live. I wish it wasn't so hard to come across. I want a swimming pool full of Heady Topper that I can freeze in the winter and skate on. I would move to Vermont for this beer. If there is a better beer regularly available on this planet, please by all means let me know of it.

4.85/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Got to try this for the first time last night at an Allagash tasting event at Decicco's in Brewster.

A- Considering I drank it right from the can (as it so boldly suggests right on the rim) I cannot comment on the appearance. The can is large and silver with a quirky drawing of a mad scientist on the front. It also says "Don't be a D-bag, recycle this can" on the back which I found amusing.

S- Great nose on this beer. Huge citrus hop aroma, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, mango, pine, all mixed together for a lovely bouquet of smells.

T- WOW. Even better than the smell leads on! Fantastic resinous hop flavors, citrus notes, lots of tart grapefruit and pineapple in there as well. Moderately bitter finish, extremely refreshing as well.

M- Amazing mouthfeel on this beer. Moderately carbonated, thick, resinous, oily feel on the tongue.

O- I have had many of the top 250 beers in the recent months and in most cases they did not live up to the hype. This is not one of those cases. Amazing from when you first pop the top to when you take your last sip. Absolutely outstanding beer and it deserves its #1 rating hands down. I had one when I first got to the tasting and then went beer shopping and had to stop and have another on the way out because it makes you crave its deliciousness. Easily my favorite beer that I have had to date.

4.61/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had a customer give me a can of Heady last year. Split it with one of my coworkers and we both just looked at each other with mouths open before both exclaiming how good it was. I picked up my share at the brewery little over a week ago and now it's time for a full review.
I know it says to drink from the can, but for this review it will be poured into a Sam Adams 'perfect pint' glass. Later I'll have one from the can and if I notice anything different enough to comment on I'll edit this review.

AP: Colour like a dark shade of apricot or orange marmalade. Can't really see through this when held to the light, it's pretty damned thick. Foamy dense white head, about 1" that settles to 1/2" with moderate lacing.
AR: Like fresh green pine needles after a rain. Fruity hop aromas of orange, peach, grapefruit, mango and guava. Bready cereal grains from the malts.
T: Just very well balanced between the malts and hops. The hops are there and prominent but don't overpower and take over. The hops are lush and juicy, which to me is the mark of a really great IPA/DIPA. On the finish it's soft green pine with the rinds of orange and tangerine. I love how it's flavourful from start to finish. So easy to drink and a moist long aftertaste.
M: Creamy with a fairly hearty full body, low to moderate carbonation, crisp clean finish that though the juicy hops leave a moistness behind that coats your cheeks/gums, it's off dry on the tongue.
OV: An exceptionally well done brew. Flavourful, balanced and a bit chewy for a DIPA, which I like about it. Good lingering flavours that make you want to keep drinking and the ABV is well hidden. At this point, I would say Heady Topper and Lawson's Double Sunshine are the best DIPAs I've had so far. I'm not going to say which I think is better as I like each for different reasons and am just glad I got to try them both. In a perfect World, I'd have access to both whenever I wanted instead of having to drive 7hrs to Vermont to get a limited amount.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist