Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 6,217
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

2.5/5  rDev -47.1%

4.94/5  rDev +4.4%

First time I had I received it in a Reddit trade two weeks before my Vermont trip, but then consumed in glorious excess directly from the source in Waterbury.

The appearance is, well, ugly, but with a certain sense of unique beauty, if that makes sense. I can see why they tell you to drink from the can- the beer has little floaty particles moving in suspension all around. It looks straight up rustic and earthy, like I am looking at pure liquid hops.
I poured half the beer into a glass and drank half from the can- it really does taste better from the can!

The aroma is mind-blowing. This is the best smelling beer I have ever had. It's like an orange, a grapefruit and a tangerine punched me right in the face.

The taste was just as good. It feels like I'm drinking a liquid joint dumped into a glass of orange pineapple juice. The hops just keep coming in strong waves of flavor- it just never stops. I've only had this super-fresh, I can imagine the hop flavor lasts a while here.

The body is full enough to match the hop assault (hopsault?).

A truly amazing beer.

4.75/5  rDev +0.4%

poured 16oz can into Duvel tulip.

A - Golden orange and very hazy with a big 3 finger white head that went to the very top and peaked over my tulip. Great retention and loads of foamy lacing cling to teh glass. Who says this doesn't look perfect!?

S - So you like big juicy hops? Piney and bitter citrus hops are the show of this beer. I get some tropical and light sweetness. The smell is incredible.

T - Yum, yum, yum! Waves and waves of hops coat my palate. Pine hops, bitter citrus hops, and even slight notes of tropical hops. A subtle sweetness peeks in every now and then, but the hops push it back. This is a dream to drink.

M - Full bodied and sticky with awesome carbonation. It is insane how easy this is to drink!

O - It is fantastic and worth seeking out IMO. I'll score it as a perfect, because I enjoy it so much.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist