Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev -5.1%

4.84/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Got to try this for the first time last night at an Allagash tasting event at Decicco's in Brewster.

A- Considering I drank it right from the can (as it so boldly suggests right on the rim) I cannot comment on the appearance. The can is large and silver with a quirky drawing of a mad scientist on the front. It also says "Don't be a D-bag, recycle this can" on the back which I found amusing.

S- Great nose on this beer. Huge citrus hop aroma, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, mango, pine, all mixed together for a lovely bouquet of smells.

T- WOW. Even better than the smell leads on! Fantastic resinous hop flavors, citrus notes, lots of tart grapefruit and pineapple in there as well. Moderately bitter finish, extremely refreshing as well.

M- Amazing mouthfeel on this beer. Moderately carbonated, thick, resinous, oily feel on the tongue.

O- I have had many of the top 250 beers in the recent months and in most cases they did not live up to the hype. This is not one of those cases. Amazing from when you first pop the top to when you take your last sip. Absolutely outstanding beer and it deserves its #1 rating hands down. I had one when I first got to the tasting and then went beer shopping and had to stop and have another on the way out because it makes you crave its deliciousness. Easily my favorite beer that I have had to date.

4.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had a customer give me a can of Heady last year. Split it with one of my coworkers and we both just looked at each other with mouths open before both exclaiming how good it was. I picked up my share at the brewery little over a week ago and now it's time for a full review.
I know it says to drink from the can, but for this review it will be poured into a Sam Adams 'perfect pint' glass. Later I'll have one from the can and if I notice anything different enough to comment on I'll edit this review.

AP: Colour like a dark shade of apricot or orange marmalade. Can't really see through this when held to the light, it's pretty damned thick. Foamy dense white head, about 1" that settles to 1/2" with moderate lacing.
AR: Like fresh green pine needles after a rain. Fruity hop aromas of orange, peach, grapefruit, mango and guava. Bready cereal grains from the malts.
T: Just very well balanced between the malts and hops. The hops are there and prominent but don't overpower and take over. The hops are lush and juicy, which to me is the mark of a really great IPA/DIPA. On the finish it's soft green pine with the rinds of orange and tangerine. I love how it's flavourful from start to finish. So easy to drink and a moist long aftertaste.
M: Creamy with a fairly hearty full body, low to moderate carbonation, crisp clean finish that though the juicy hops leave a moistness behind that coats your cheeks/gums, it's off dry on the tongue.
OV: An exceptionally well done brew. Flavourful, balanced and a bit chewy for a DIPA, which I like about it. Good lingering flavours that make you want to keep drinking and the ABV is well hidden. At this point, I would say Heady Topper and Lawson's Double Sunshine are the best DIPAs I've had so far. I'm not going to say which I think is better as I like each for different reasons and am just glad I got to try them both. In a perfect World, I'd have access to both whenever I wanted instead of having to drive 7hrs to Vermont to get a limited amount.

4.53/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz can with about the first 1/4 drank out of the can, the rest poured into a FFF teku glass and consumed today 5/10/13. Thanks to shagens for the opportunity to drink this 1.5-2 week old Heady.

Aroma: Holy smokes. Soon as I pop the can: tons of sweet honey, toffee, caramel and biscuits.. followed by quite a bit of tropical fruit- mango, papaya with a bit of grapefruit. Big, big whiffs of tropical fruits. If it drinks anywhere as good as it smells, it's a winner. (4.75)

Colour: Can't tell when it's in the can, but once I pour it into the teku, it looks good. Burnt orange, like the University of Texas' school colours. Pours with a nice thick 2cm white head that slowly fades into a bubbly collar that persists. There are bits of lacing that doesn't really stick around, but otherwise a good looking DIPA. At the end of the drink, I poured out the last ounce of the can to see what the floaties looked like- and its nasty. I see why they recommend drinking it out of the can. (4)

Flavour: I get a big malt kick up front, with caramel, toffee, honey and sweet bread. But that only sets the stage for a nice-sized blast of tropical fruit which eventually fades away into a bitter citrus finish which is also accompanied by a mellow backend that balances the hoppiness. Nice complexity to it, very hoppy and tasty. (4.5)

Mouthfeel: Definitely not lacking in the department. Thicker side of medium body, excellent carbonation, resinous and coats the palate pretty well with the bitter finish- which is mostly citrus and a bit of tropical fruit. I don't feel any heat at all drinking this. (4.5)

Overall: I think the hoppiness quotient is where it needs to be- which balances out the sweet maltiness that predominated the older can. It does come together in a better way which I definitely appreciate. It's hoppy as hell though in a very non-subtle manner, though not as much as Abrasive is. Pliny is hoppy in a more subtle way- mainly in the aroma and flavour (intense grapefruit and citrus), but not so much the bitter aftertaste like Heady gets that starts burning off my palate. Very excellent DIPA, just a bit behind Pliny and Abrasive in my book. (4.5)

4.5/5  rDev -5.1%