Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 5,069
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
tylerprince

Colorado

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%

Dare I call this beer perfect? Without a doubt one of my favorites. I've never had the pleasure of having one on tap, but upon cracking a can, the smell of hops overpowers everything within arms length - it's really quite impressive. While John Kimmich recommends drinking out of the can, I drank one from the can, one from the glass.

After a gentle pour, I was unimpressed by this beer's head. With a hard pour, however, I'm sure that it would live up to its name. Either way, it does provide a beautiful lacing. Resins float throughout the body of the beer; hazy yellow/orange color.

It tastes clean, with piny undertones. There's a good amount of sweet malt in the middle, but it starts and finishes all hops. For me, the standard for an imperial IPA.

It feels smooth, with a fairly mild amount of carbonation. Despite the power of the hops, drinkability is incredible. Not to deamean such a tasty beer, but if I were still in college I think I might just shotgun one of these.

In short, the Kimmichs reported that after Hurricane Irene, their goal was to brew one beer perfectly. In doing so, they have set the gold standard for what a DIPA should be.

11-30-2011 21:21:25 | More by tylerprince

benz08

11-30-2011 06:25:12 | More by benz08
Aberration

4.9/5  rDev +3.6%

Drank from a can, just like it says.

I've poured this one before, looks pretty good but with some stuff floating around (I have no problem with this)

Smells like magic. Citrus, sweet, malt, little pine

Tastes...like magic. Beer magic. Strong hop presence, almost viscous on the mouthfeel with all of the hop oil in here.

Slight amount of particulates in the brew but not overly detrimental to the experience.

I make a long road trip every month to the alchemist for this beer. It is my absolute favorite DIPA right now...no question about it.

11-30-2011 04:34:34 | More by Aberration

11-29-2011 07:34:06 | More by huadog
DividedAvery

Colorado

4.47/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 22oz Can into a 4oz Snifter.
Drank the rest from the can

A: Pours a hazy yellow orange. One finger head lingers. This beer is really a looker

S: Lots of citrus and resin. Smells clean

T: Wow. Heard the rumors and they were all correct. This beer is everything a DIPA should be. The resiny citrus hops explode through with just the right amount of bitterness and wonderful malt balance. Awesome. Just awesome

M: Very smooth and a great amount of carbonation. Feels as good as it tastes.

O: Incredibly impressed. Beers with this much hype don't usually live up to it and my oh my did this one. Now I just need more..

11-29-2011 07:06:31 | More by DividedAvery

wagenvolks

11-28-2011 12:49:47 | More by wagenvolks
yapi

4.95/5  rDev +4.7%

well, there's some hype about this one, and I hate trains, but I'm on it. Was lucky to get 16 heady's through a trade in person in Bruges, thanks Hopo ;-) Already had a couple of previews through tendermorsel, and knew what I was getting.

For me this is the best Dipa I've ever had. Period. It's just that good. I'm still getting used to drinking it out of the can, what somewhat takes the "appearance" note away, but I'm really sticking my nose in there, and have to keep myself from a binge-drinking session. Drinking this is just a wonderful walk in Dipa park... so complex it's scary, the finish is lingering, time stands still after you finish a can. Only prison can keep you from opening a next one... They've been canned a bit more than a week ago, and for the first time I don't think I'll have any problem finishing the next 14 cans within a week... might share a couple, but not too many!

11-28-2011 11:42:52 | More by yapi

11-28-2011 03:57:38 | More by taylorcp
JohannBock

Maryland

4.97/5  rDev +5.1%

HUGE thanks to my awesome girlfriend for bringing me a can of this back from thanksgiving break.

A: Can looks awesome but I had to pour it. Light yellow-orange on the edges with a deep orange in the middle. Hazy. Lots of floaties in it. Not a bad thing though. Poured a 2 finger head, white.

S: Nice resinous hops. Piney with a hint of toasty malts in there.

T: Just wow. Flowery up front followed by a brief malt interlude but then it's all hops again. Piney flavors, ending with a puckering bitterness. Really long finish makes you pine for more.

M: Medium mouthfeel with enough carbonation to not overpower you.

O: Lives up to the hype. Awesome DIPA, wish I could have access to this all of the time. Could easily drink this beer for the rest of my life and be happy.

11-28-2011 03:50:57 | More by JohannBock
TheBandit1

11-28-2011 03:28:38 | More by TheBandit1
Jnorton00

11-28-2011 02:19:45 | More by Jnorton00
TheDudeRules

3.63/5  rDev -23.3%

Very hazy amber pour. Sediment is suspended throughout. Two fingers of pillowy off white head. Scant lacing is left behind on my glass. Hops and citrus collide in my nose. Looks and smell are living up to the hype. The first striking character upon taste is the creaminess. Incredibly so especially for an ipa. Pine and grapefruit up front. Sweetness to finish the swallow. Ends lightly bitter. Honestly it is not as hoppy as I expected. Very easy to drink regardless that it is an imperial.

I find I had a preconceived notion on what it was going to be. Pure greatness. Well, it isn't. It's damn good but not as much so as the hype train says. I'm trying not to have a mind explosion right now. All hail the king of imperial, Abrasive from Surly.

11-27-2011 22:00:01 | More by TheDudeRules