Heady Topper - The Alchemist

The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev -5.1%

One of the best beers I've ever tasted. The balance and aroma is top notch. The can is inviting to just grad and take one big long sip. The taste is smooth and full of hoppy goodness. The smell once can is cracked just invites you to drink its deliciousness. My vote for beer of the year!!!

4.94/5  rDev +4.2%

I had this in a glass at lunch and in the can for dinner. Since the brewer recommends drinking directly from the can, that's how I'll rate it....although I will say it's coppery and cloudy in the glass. First off, the aroma is BRILLIANT. This is an awesomely hoppy-smelling beer with notes of candy and tropical fruit (maybe even peach?). The first thing I tasted was the roasty, nutty malts followed by a bitter punch in the mouth! The finish is fruity, falling somewhere between papaya and peach. What I found most surprising was the creamy, soft mouthfeel. This is to date the best beer I've ever had. It's well worth the hype and the drive to VT (since you can't get it anywhere else).

4.53/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very few brews make bring a shit eating grin to my face - wow this is good! Starts with a hazy belgian blond hue with a slight finger of creamy white cap that quickly dissipates leaving just a few small islands of foam. Nose brings bright juicy citrus (mandarin, grapefruit) pineapple, slight floral pine, very juice and a hoppy earthiness. This beer reminds me alot of Nelson - big tropical notes and juicy with pine dankiness play a small secondary roll. The taste brings bitter papaya, lime rind, light caramel malts and some pine needle covered forest floor - as it warms almost an herbal, minty licorice note comes out. The mouthfeel is creamy and lush but is quickly balanced by a strong hop bitterness. Best beer not sure about that but at least top 3 ipa's i have ever had and well worth trading for.

4.37/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Heady Topper
Poured from a can into a pint glass
A: Cloudy orange brown with hop resin through out. Little head but I tried extremely hard to pour with no head so I could divide a can between my glass and my girlfriends glass.
S: Lemon, grapefruit and HOPS! Lots of hops.
T: Water up front molds into a nice hops character that become full bodied and leaves a hop note on the tongue for a long time.
M: Lots of well rounded hops all throughout the mouth.
O: Great, wish I could get this as a regular everyday beer.

4.34/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- pours a hazy amber with little head. Almost no lacing.

S- so complex. Hops abound, wave after wave of aromas, spicy, fruity, earthy. Slight bit of malt sweetness.

T- a simple grain bill leaves a little to be desired. The hop complexity strikes again, the citrus strikes last after the spicy grassy notes have made the first advance.

M- slightly thick, but very drinkable.

Big thanks to jmmy3 for the trade.

4.64/5  rDev -2.1%

16 oz can poured into a nonic, despite the urging of the can. Maybe I'll drink the next one from the can. I left about an eighth inch of beer in the can.

Pours clear amber with huge chunks of hop matter floating everywhere. Reminds me of egg drop soup. Minimal head.

Aroma is HUGE. As soon as I crack the can, citrus hop aroma fills the room. After pouring and taking a deep whiff, I am overwhelmed with hoppy goodness. This is crazy.

First sip is a rush of hop flavor. Very citrusy, with a very smooth and not bitter finish. This is like the perfect vessel to showcase hop flavor... so oily, slick, and bursting with pine and citrus flavors.

I can understand the hype surrounding this beer. It is amazing, and I wish I had a way to easily get more.

Heady Topper from The Alchemist