Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 5,624
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA” 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros

marshmeli, Mar 17, 2012

kslsc400, Mar 17, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

StaEva, Mar 16, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +3.6%

Canned on Monday drank on Friday. Poured into a glass.

A: very cloudy, orange with a slight red hue. Big sandy head. Not much lacing.

S: the smell omg. Piney tropical hops, a real explosion. I sense Simcoe. Very herbal dank and earthy underneath the citrus. Some Columbia perhaps.

T: super bright and citrusy, I get kiwi, mango, clementine, grapefruit. Finish is so sweet. Peaches, grapefruit all the different notes. It's really not all that bitter. Tough to pick out the malts but it's more honey than molasses /caramel. There's some earthy floral dankness hiding beneath the tropical hops, some hop oils and resins. It just tastes fresh.

M : super soft and chewy. High carbonation. No burn. A syrupy body. Resinous and oily.

O: quite possibly the best beer I've ever had. Crazy hops, the freshest rawest beer I've had. So tropical and drinkable it's insane. I could session on this. Must try, lives up to the hype.

BigCheese, Mar 16, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

tclapper, Mar 16, 2012
4.74/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A pale gold with a clumpy, lumpy and rocky foam that sticks and hangs around in amazing ways.

The aroma is pretty amazing with a complex fresh hop with grapefruit, pineapple, earthy notes and tangy fruits! The malt also smells really nice with gentle sweetness but not heady.

The flavor is huge! Yes it's complex with layers of hops, fruity, earthy, grapefruit, sweet fruits, you name it, if it's in the hop spectrum of flavor's it's in here!! But that's not what blows my mind, it's the balance and insane drinkabilty from this DIPA. Usually the large amounts of malt, high alcohol and massive hops keeps the "session" kinda short, but not here, It's kinda scary how easy it is to drink.

The feel is fresh, full, jazzy and slightly smooth maybe even a bit dry in the finish.

Love the can!

GratefulBeerGuy, Mar 15, 2012
4.48/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer Ive had several times.

Can and poured into a glass.
THe head is white like it came with batteries.
The aroma isnt as intense as i thought it would be but, hop aroma with out senses being overwhelmed.
The color is a solid amber-orangish. Not light penetrating. haze.
The flavor is strong hop, spicy, dramatic, and pronounced. The mouth feel is smooth, coating the tongue.
Overall this is a solid example of an IPA.

DakotaRules, Mar 15, 2012

derkfromwi, Mar 14, 2012

kirkpjr, Mar 14, 2012

brewzip, Mar 14, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +3.6%

Holy sweet god. Thanks a ton to Kkottonmouthkngz for including two(!) of these is a random box trade. This was a huge want of mine.

Per instructions, I drank the first few sips from the can. They were amazing. Then, I poured the rest into a glass and the amazing continued.

A - Tons of hop "floaties". I was not turned off by this at all, but it's definitely not traditional for a "commercial" beer. I try avoid this when I'm home brewing, but after trying this, screw it, I'm leaving the hops in :)

S - Wow. Really...wow. Maybe the best smelling beer I've ever come across.

T - Double wow. Not the strongest or most bitter IPA I've had, but without question the best. The citrus-y flavors are off the chart, and the hops are balanced so perfectly with the strength of the beer. I could drink a lot of this really often. If only I could...

M - Perfect. A little sticky from all the hop goodness, but in a really good way.

O - Definitely the best IPA I've ever had, and maybe the best beer I've ever had overall. I can't say enough good things. Deserves its 100 rating and then some.

Greenplastic615, Mar 14, 2012

misterdork, Mar 13, 2012

ILiveOffHops, Mar 13, 2012

arktos, Mar 12, 2012

Bzah, Mar 12, 2012

TheSamsquanch, Mar 12, 2012

tpauer, Mar 12, 2012
4.63/5  rDev -2.1%

Huge thanks to Treebs for giving this to me as an extra(!) in a trade. Thanks!

A: looks like a homebrew - tons of sediment. Pours a cloudy light gold color with a good sized head that leaves a lacing to cover the whole top.

S: excellent tropical fruit smell smell that only gets better as it warms. Citrus, pineapple, light malt, and yeast round out this beer's smell.

T: well balanced with malt, bitterness, and fruity hops flavors. Amazing taste profile that only gets better as it warms. No alcohol presence, and the bitterness accents the taste rather than takes away from it. There is also a huge malt aftertaste along with the hop aftertaste, and it stays on my tongue the longest I have ever experienced.

M: medium carbonation and medium body. It's full of very light, fluffy bubbles, making it quite an experience.

O: my only complaint is that I don't care for the floaties, but that's likely because I didn't let it sit longer than 1 hour from the time I got it to when I drank it, and my pour was poorly executed.

Holland, Mar 12, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +4.2%

16oz aluminum tall boy. Coded, looks like canned on 1/23/12

I get slammed with a whiff of tropical fruit hops as soon as the can is cracked. Proceeds to pour a bright tangerine color, murky, with a one finger white head that retains well and leaves nice lacing. The aroma is just insane. It feels like I'm holding actual pineapples, mangos, and grapefruits up to my nose. No hints of malt in there. Taste follows the nose, with the mango hops a bit more prevalent. This is fabulous. As it warms, a bready, biscuit malt sweetness backs up the hops mid palate. The full body, medium carbonation feel finishes on the dry side, nice and bitter, with lingering pine and grapefruit.

Can't say much more other than this being one of my top 3 DIPAs to date. Splendid, dangerously drinkable, and I need to get more.

garuda, Mar 11, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +1.5%

Given to me by a friend who stopped by the brewery last week - a very unexpected and pleasant surprise. Drank from the can.

I stuck to drinking from the can so I can't really remark on the appearance. Unbelievably hoppy and sweet aroma - I detected lots of citrusy grapefruit and mango, with a piny quality in very concentrated doses. It had a very tropical character, but I could already sense the bitterness that would be intermixed in the taste. Awesome smell, it literally made my mouth water. A few sips in and I was in heaven. Lots of citrus fruit sweetness, but a constant dry bitterness that I felt like I got mostly in the end of the taste. It was an amazingly complex taste that satisfied every bit of expectation I had for this beer. Mouthfeel was fairly light in weight, but had a nice zip to it and a sort of creamy quality upon swishing it around in my mouth. It brought out the best in the taste, that's for sure.

Overall, this was by far one of the tastiest DIPAs I've had. It stands right up there with the Plinys in terms of complex hoppy and sweet tastes, and it was incredibly drinkable. I'm really looking forward to the next one!

shangwang, Mar 11, 2012