Heady Topper - The Alchemist

Wants: 6,299
The Alchemist visit their website
Vermont, United States

"An American Double IPA" 75 IBU 8.0% abv

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-27-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Heady Topper Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -68.3%

4.28/5  rDev -9.5%

Big thanks to Celtic001 for a couple of these sent my way. I was so excited for the arrival of these, that once they were chilled to perfection, they disappeared quickly. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a murky dark orange/gold with a thick lustrous off-white head on top.

Slick yet heavy feel. Lightly oily on the back end. Big bitter pop of juicy hops. Full of lush flavor of bitter fruits, semi-sweet syrup on finish. White peppery "burn" in the midst, but this is bitter all out. Surprisingly an easy finish with such a boisterous profile. Great beer. Not my top IIPA, but by the far the best from a can.

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Let me tell you about the mythical adventure that this beer bestowed upon me....

After trolling for this beverage, I was luckily blessed with the notification that an coworker (who will remain nameless but will never be forgotten) was traveling north for vacation. I politely asked if he would be traveling through Vermont on his trip and gave the coordinates of the location where this beverage could be obtained...My expectations were low but I remained hopeful.

Today at work I asked if he struck out. To my delight he informed me that not only did he not strikeout, he hit the motherload. He had 40 16 oz cans on ice in the back of his chariot. After work, we met in the parking lot with trunks open to exchange cash for services rendered. I immediately rushed home, called my delinquent brother who had been previously informed about the intricate details of the spoken beer.

Now for the review....I cracked my first beer at 17:36 EST. Initial waft was heavenly and I achieved 1/2 a stock. For those that don't know that is a semi...First sip and holy hopness my 1/2 stock had turned to full blown chub. I called my brother immediately and found he was in route. Sip after sip it got better. I chose to drink from the can as recommended and the swill sucker punched me with a full hop slam to the face. I thought best IPA I ever had....

I waited for my brother to arrive and cleansed my palet. He arrived and I handed him a cold can and cracked my second. First sip and the same thing happened to him (1/2 stock for those keeping score). The reaction continued through his 1st can.

Honestly I can say this is the best beer I have had. I am a big IPA fan, and this blows them all away. Highly recommended but difficult to obtain. Sell your children if needed to obtain a case.

4.53/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A friend of mine gave this beer to me as a belated birthday present and I was a bit surprised that it came in the form of a can but don't let the can intimidate you.

Pours an extremely hazy orange, cloudy with chunks of unfiltered deliciousness. The appearance and posture of this beer is something really special. I have yet to come across an IPA that's looks this raw.

The smell is powerful with dominate c hops, floral, citrus, and pine are extremely noticeable. The aroma is just as intense as the appearance.

The taste is smooth yet incredibly hoppy, surprisingly drinkable for such a complex beer. The hops are very forward initially and then the it ends with that amazing dry hoppiness that I love ever so much.

One of the best beers to ever come out of a can and I can't wait to get my hands on some more.

4.5/5  rDev -4.9%

3.25/5  rDev -31.3%

3.5/5  rDev -26%

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%

4.38/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours from a 16 oz can, nice hazy orange color. Smell is of sweet hops. Taste is medium bodied, great balance to it. Not overly hoppy (as warned by the outside of the can) and has a great maltiness to it that most IPAs (specifically double IPAs) are missing. Delicious aftertaste.. I can see why this has such a high rating. Felt lucky to try this beer, definitely worth seeking out if you get a chance.. one of the better imperial IPAs I've gotten to try.

What more can I say about this beer? Drove 7 hrs from PA to the brewery. People were very nice there. Bought 3 cases, only trouble is you have to keep it cold because it is unpasturized I believe.

I had one beer out of the can and one poured out. The poured one is very cloudy like a hefe. Put it up to your nose and it may burn your eyebrows off it's so hoppy. First sip, pungent, piney hop flavor, balanced with the sweet citrus, but also tastes creamy like a hefe, whereas a lot of IPAs taste thinner. Nice thing about this beer is that some IPAs lose their hoppiness the closer you get to the end of your glass. Not this one. As the advertising says, wave after wave of hoppiness till the finish. Very very enjoyable, if you have a free weekend and don't mind road trips, go seek this beer out. Bring some coolers to keep it cold on the ride home!

4.53/5  rDev -4.2%

I got this beer from a fellow advocate beerMeFitz, thanks man! Following the advice of a friend, I poured some in my Half Acre Tulip and drank the rest in the can. The pour was a hazy beautiful orange color with very little head that disappeared rather quickly. I Swirled it around in the glass a little and noticed that the lacing was not as much as I expected.

The smell was an awesome smack in the face with freshness. The hops were bursting with pine and maybe some peach and grapefruit.

The first sip was pretty great and as I kept drinking I noticed a lot of the flavors developing. Being an 8% abv beer, I am very surprised how easy this was to drink. Their was a slight bitterness from the hops, but the aromatic hops cut right through that creating an extremely well balanced DIPA. Though the hops are definitely the star, I really appreciate the malty sweetness of this beer as well. An amazing beer and I can't wait to get another can of this ale.

4.25/5  rDev -10.1%